Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardi to tackle cycle menaces

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I'm a cyclist, motorist and pedestrian by turns and yes there are reckless people using all forms of transport. I actually look forward to sensible enforcement of the law, as it reduces idiot behaviour, however the notion that I should be using the cycle lane on the foot path from Finglas down to the Tolka valley is insane, I'm doing 50->60KPH on that stretch and the cycle lane has a bus stop in it, there is no way I'm going to obey the current law that I should use the available cycle lane where it endangers myself or others. That's one example and there are a few, but overall I welcome this move, I assume other road users breaking lights etc... will also be targeted at the same time.

+1
    An old article, but the bike lanes are Still the same..
    http://dublinobserver.com/2010/10/cycle-lane-highlights-in-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Delighted with this news, cyclists are mostly clowns who have nothing but a blatant disregard for the rules of the road.

Here's an idea, raise some much needed govt money but making ever take a written exam to get a bicycle license. €5 a pop. And fine people €500 for not wearing a helmet. I cannot understand why a person would get on a bicycle without a helmet. And yea sure feck it, same fine for not wearing a seatbelt in a vehicle & talking/texting on the phone.

I'd have absolutly no problem taking a Bicycle Licence exam, and have no issue with wearing a helmet. Unfortunatly neither would save me from some some of the idoicy drivers I see when both on my bike and behind the wheel.

There are also clowns behind the wheel who disregard rules, and think stuff like mirrors and indicators are an optional extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Excellent, no doubt this crack down will be just as effective as the one on learner drivers driving unacomppanied...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

irish-stew wrote: »
    I'd have absolutly no problem taking a Bicycle Licence exam, and have no issue with wearing a helmet. Unfortunatly neither would save me from some some of the idoicy drivers I see when both on my bike and behind the wheel.

There are also clowns behind the wheel who disregard rules, and think stuff like mirrors and indicators are an optional extra.

Great, as if we don't already pay enough stupid licences and taxes in this country. What age do you have to be to get your bike licence by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭roadrunner16

Slurryface wrote: »
    It aint illegal to park on a cycle lane in many cases.
    just because something isnt illegal dosent mean its not a dangerous stupid thing to do !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It is odd but I have never heard on the news or by word of mouth of anyone being killed or seriously injured by a cyclist even though some of them speed on footpaths like fcuking nutters. I would nearly rather tke my chances being hit by a car at 40mph rtaher than a bicycle- at least with a car the roll over the bonnet/ boot might actually save your life, with a bike you get completely pummeled.
    I hope you're not a civil engineer or anything whatsoever that requires some elementary application of physics.

1,500kg of steel hitting you @ 60km/h versus 90kg of bike & soft, squishy cyclist @ 30km/h. It's a no brainer, really.

This "crackdown" won't affect me in the slightest, and I very much doubt that I'll actually see any Gardai out doing it - I didn't the last time. It also will have no effect on the number of crashes involving cyclists or pedestrians since in most cases these are caused by driver error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Those helmets are deadly

As in 'they look very nice' or 'they might kill you'?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Delighted with this news, cyclists are mostly clowns who have nothing but a blatant disregard for the rules of the road.

Here's an idea, raise some much needed govt money but making ever take a written exam to get a bicycle license. €5 a pop. And fine people €500 for not wearing a helmet. I cannot understand why a person would get on a bicycle without a helmet. And yea sure feck it, same fine for not wearing a seatbelt in a vehicle & talking/texting on the phone.

why do you not wear a helmet in your car or while walking down the street, more chance of injury or death than cycling...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

smash wrote: »
    Don't know why anyone thanked this. It's not the job of traffic corps and the average cop on the beat to track down gangland scumbags!

You really think it's not a guards job to tackle gang related activity if the see it - like open drug dealing on our streets or attempted murders?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Great, as if we don't already pay enough stupid licences and taxes in this country. What age do you have to be to get your bike licence by the way?

I didn't suggest the Bike Licence, just that I would have no problem taking one. It doesn't change the fact that it wouldn't save them from stupid drivers.

Cyclists are treated like 2nd class citizens by both the county councils that provode the infrastucture for them, and by alot of other drivers.

Not sure if you are a regular cyclist, if you are I'm sure you have seen the state of many so called cyclelanes in this country, and you understand why many cyclists dont use them. In terms of drivers, I'm talking about the ones who fail to see cyclelanes, cut infront of cyclists when turning left, drive dangeriously close to them, etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I think it's time to start a penalty points system for cyclists; there's plenty of them out there who obey the rules of the road perfectly, so no point targeting them.
    Yes there are awful drivers out there, but you don't get loads of them sailing through red lights in the city centre and constantly almost hitting pedestrians.
    This morning I also had to quickly move out of the way of a grown male cyclist who was charging down the footpath on Pearse St.
    You don't tend to see that level of idiocy in drivers in the middle of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

I am going to be very careful what I saw here, as I got an infraction last year when I made a point along these lines in the cycling forum last year....

I feel that many (not all, of course) cyclists feel that their judgement overrides the law when it comes to certain issues, most prominantly, red lights. Countless times I have seen cyclists ignore red lights (and I repeat, many, not all). When questioned on it, they say things like "Oh I could tell I had time to go" etc. Whenever I hear this, it reminds me of people who have had 5 or 6 pints and say "Oh, I could tell that I was grand". The law is the law and must be abided by, no matter your opinion of it. And if I hear "I'll start abiding by it when motorists start wearing seatbelts/using handfree kits" etc, I'll scream... Just because you see what you are doing as the lesser of two evils, it does not mean you can do it. Laws are there. Abide by them. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Are they also going to crack down on drivers and pedestrians who break the law and act recklessly around roads?

It seems bizarre to just focus on cyclists when all road users are capable of stupid behaviour.
    Doesn't say anything about drivers, but like someone else said they're already doing that, but it does say:
    Similarly, warned the Garda, pedestrians who cross roads at unofficial crossing points should also prepare for a Garda interview and possible prosecution.
    And motorbikers who speed between junctions, particularly in the 50km/h zone, are to face greater enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

It is odd but I have never heard on the news or by word of mouth of anyone being killed or seriously injured by a cyclist even though some of them speed on footpaths like fcuking nutters.

I'm sure there are others

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is more a matter of enforcement rather than a motorist v cyclist thread. There are plenty of laws there that could be used but the Gardai don't bother for one reason or the other.
    I once went to a Garda station to make a complaint about motorists racing through red lights on Leeson Street Bridge (happens every morning) and was told the resources are not there to address issues like this. So what are the chances of resources being made available for catching cyclists especially with the added hassle of determining who exactly the cyclist is (no reg/license). It will be like drink driving and speeding as in will be enforced in a piecemeal may where the unlucky few will be caught but the majority will carry on regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Overthrow

Kurz wrote: »
    Why they even allow people play with those toys on the same road as motor vehicles in the first place is puzzling. This is good news for everyone.

It's attitudes like this that are the main problem. People who think they own the road and have a disregarding attitude to other road users are the type of people that cause the loss of life on our roads regardless of how they get around.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SiegHeilNosey

the vast majority of problems ive had with cyclists involved them breaking red lights and nearly killing me, the pedestrian, when i have a green man.

This happens atleast once a week on my 2KM walk from ballsbridge to pearse st every mornin. Anyone who walks that route will have seen it.

Ive never seen a cyclist get a ticket, ive seen gardai stop them, but never giving a ticket and just sending them off after a quick dressing down which is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

You really think it's not a guards job to tackle gang related activity if the see it - like open drug dealing on our streets or attempted murders?

Nice the way you just threw those three words in there.

That's not really what he was saying now was it?

It's not the Traffic Corps to pro-actively seek out gangland activity. Of course if they see something they've to intervene - they're the police!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

Waiting at traffic light on the N11 yesterday and there was a traffic cop jeep in the lane next to me, Cyclist overtakes both of us and straight through the junction/red light. Looked over at the traffic cop to see if he was going to do anything. Not a budge out of him.

Was thinking if i drove off now through the red light i wonder would i get away with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭babaracus

How many people, other than themselves, have cyclists killed in the past 10 years? Probably none. But nothing like the car drivers to get all high and mighty about cyclists breaking the rules of the road when they are driving around in cages which kill 300 people a year. If cyclists disobey the rules they endanger nobody but themselves by doing so, I don't see why that should be a priority in a stretched Garda service.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Cyclists should be exempt from all nieucance traffic lights. Nothing worse than badly synchronised lights or pedestrian lights when there is no one crossing the road.

It is pointless having to put all your energy into building up a bit of momentum and then having to waste it a minute later.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

There are. I believe it's an average of 2-3 pedestrians a year in the UK. At that rate you'd expect maybe one fatality in Ireland every 5-7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

I just hope they mainly target those hippy cycle couriers who zip around the city thinking they own the place.

Countless times I have seen them barely avoiding a pedestrian at high speed, which would really have done a serious injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

babaracus wrote: »
    If cyclists disobey the rules they endanger nobody but themselves by doing so, I don't see why that should be a priority in a stretched Garda service.

As someone who has been knocked down by a cyclist breaking a red light, I can tell you that is not true. No, I wasn't seriously injured, but had I been a child or a person with a baby in a pram it may have been a different story.

Not saying all cyclists are bad (same as all motorists aren't bad drivers), but some need to learn that red means stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

babaracus wrote: »
    How many people, other than themselves, have cyclists killed in the past 10 years? Probably none. But nothing like the car drivers to get all high and mighty about cyclists breaking the rules of the road when they are driving around in cages which kill 300 people a year. If cyclists disobey the rules they endanger nobody but themselves by doing so, I don't see why that should be a priority in a stretched Garda service.

How about this as a reasonable compromise? If the cyclist breaks the law and gets injured / killed by anybody, there is zero recourse on whoever hits them? Run a red light and get T-boned - the cyclist (or the family if they're killed) is responsible for paying for the repairs to the car (+ any injuries in the car if any). No money for it - that's what public liability insurance is for.

Sound harsh/unfair? Probably - but if we don't enforce the laws that are there to protect people, then there needs to be a punishment of some sorts for those who disregard them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

.....you have a number plate and hence an identity. Ownership of a car implies that you have money which can be taken off you in terms of fines.

The government should seriously look at registering bikes and putting tags on them, could be chips like they do on pets now. This will enable cops to readily identify bikers and treat them the same way as other road users.

Perhaps a modest amount paid each year to cover insurance, accidents etc would be a good thing but you couldn't trust the govt not to milk it and charge too much.

I saw two cyclists ride into each other when one broke a red light and the other was turning right too soon before the filter arrow was on. The confrontation was something else to watch.

I also was stuck behind a biker giving out to a motorist at a green light, holding up all the traffic behind. Although I was sorely tempted to blow the horn I kept silent but the cars behind me let up a vertitable cacophony of horns, door banging and shouting more at home in a riot situation than on a public road.

The anger between motorists and bikes is at times palpable.

Vojera wrote: »
    As someone who has been knocked down by a cyclist breaking a red light, I can tell you that is not true. No, I wasn't seriously injured, but had I been a child or a person with a baby in a pram it may have been a different story.

Not saying all cyclists are bad (same as all motorists aren't bad drivers), but some need to learn that red means stop!

I don't advocate cyclists breaking the rules of the road and yes, the odd person will be hit by an errant cyclist but I suppose I am trying to point out the glaring issue here which is we have a limted Gardai Traffic Corps and there are 2 main groups of road users:

Group 1: Car drivers who kill c.300 people a year on average.
    Group 2: Cyclists who don't kill anybody.

Why bother with cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Bradidup wrote: »
    Cyclists should be exempt from all nieucance traffic lights. Nothing worse than badly synchronised lights or pedestrian lights when there is no one crossing the road.

It is pointless having to put all your energy into building up a bit of momentum and then having to waste it a minute later.

Please say this is being said ironically?

If not, and you actually think that it would be OK for cyclists to do this, why can't motorists do it? With the same logic, you could say what's the point in a motorist being parked at a red light wasting time and petrol when they could just judge themselves that there is nobody coming on the opposing route. Sure, why not throw in arguments like it would be better for the environment too due to lower emissions... There are flaws in every system, but it's the best we have. Abide by them. Better safe than sorry.

doolox wrote: »
    .....you have a number plate and hence an identity. Ownership of a car implies that you have money which can be taken off you in terms of fines.

Perhaps a modest amount paid each year to cover insurance, accidents etc would be a good thing but you couldn't trust the govt not to milk it and charge too much.

I can see the crack squads of enforcement officers dragging kids off their trikes and bikes in housing estates, shaking them down for tax, insurance and licence details before confiscating their barbie bike.

We need less regulation in this country, not more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭lardossan

Slurryface wrote: »
    Good to see that at last the gardai are going to tackle the menace that are cyclists who think that the rules of the road only apply to other road users, hopefully plenty of bikes will be confiscated and summomes issued. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1002/1224324727714.html

You obviously failed to read the article you posted seeing as the menace are car users and the victims are mostly pedestrians and cyclists. I can just imagine the kind of person you are, it makes me very happy to think how much it must cost you to service your car.

Advertisement