Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men - What is your primary aim in life?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

No kids, ever. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'm 24 out of college and to be honest I'm in a pretty good position at the moment. Have a good car, good job with decent salary and very nice house living with friends.

The main thing for me now is to save up and travel to some places I want to see while I'm still young like South Africa, California etc.

In the mean time I've been single and enjoying spending my money on myself, spending money on nicer food, clothes etc. - something I couldn't do in college.

Aim would be to educate myself further and in time get to where I want to careerwise, in the mean time I'm happy out where I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Having a job and plenty of money was a big thing for me for a long time, but alot has changed in my life in the last year.

A loving wife and kids would be what I am looking for in life now. Just have to find the wife first :D

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭zephyro

There are so many of your guys saying you don't want to get married or have kids and you seem like such nice guys too...and not for one minute am I saying that only nice people have children...it's just a personal subject to me...so can you or anyone else with the same opinion elabortate a little on the reasons behind why you don't want the marriage/children thing even though the majority of you want to find that special someone...basically, what's the turn off?

Pros
    :confused:

Cons (children)
    1. A recent estimate of the cost of raising a child to 21 was €261k. It's not the amount that's the scariest thing to me either but what I could have to do to earn it (e.g. stay in a job I might hate) and what I could alternatively do with the money, and that's just one child!
    2. Even if I wanted to have a child right now I've no idea how I might feel in 5, 10 or 20 years time. No refunds for children.
    3. I already have difficulty finding the time for all the things I want to do. Raising children is very time-consuming.
    4. Not so long ago I left a well-paid job to move to a different country to study something I found interesting. I like having the option of changing direction again whenever I might feel like it, and I expect to use it too.

Cons (marriage)
    1. Marriage is (at least in theory) committing to someone for the rest of your life. People change and as above I've no idea how we might feel about each other further down the line. I don't make promises unless I know I'll keep them and I know I won't stay with someone I'm not happy with.
    2. Most divorces are initiated by the woman and in any contested settlement the man will get screwed, it's just a question of how badly.
    3. I have a major problem with the pooling of assets marriage entails. AFAIC what's mine is mine, especially bearing in mind what could happen in a breakup that I mightn't have caused.

There's probably some other things I didn't think of.

Advertisement