Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men - What is your primary aim in life?

Options
  • 01-10-2012 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

To have a successful career?
    To find a wonderful girlfriend?
    To own you own home?
    To have children?
    Other

What to you live for, goals, etc what makes ye as a gender different from women in terms of your life aims/goals?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

To enjoy my life. I have no set goals that I am aiming at other than that.
    Maybe when I mature a bit more I might.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Tough question. I've done a lot of "the basics" - Happily married, have kids, nice house, decent job, finished college, travelled quite a bit. I suppose my next primary goal is to provide a decent environment for my kids - to nurture them so that they can achieve their potential. That varies by child really. The youngfella (eldest) is sporty, his younger sister is showing clear love for the arts etc.

All the while though I want to have fun with my wife and enjoy our marriage. That has to have a share in the amount of invested effort. I couldn't have one without the other (i.e. maintain loveless marriage once the kids are happy).

As a near term goal I have a fight coming up. I want to win that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

With the times that are in it, being independent must be high on the list for a lot of people.

It's a moving target depending where you are in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Men of what age ...... ? Every man goes through many phases in his life. Starting from complete indifference to what happens tomorrow, never mind having an 'aim'. And every man reaches these phases at completely different ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

all of the above?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

echo67, I've deleted two posts of yours as they were in no way relevant to this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

To make as much money as possible so I can have a half-way decent retirement, if I get that far. And then die..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Successful law career - make a difference. Failing that tons of dosh. Failing that die in a brothel of heart failure at the age of 90.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,181 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm 32, educated to post-grad level, engaged, 2 kids, working in I.T. and renting.

Current goals are to get all debts paid off and buy our own home within the next 5 years.
    Longer term I'd like to own and work in my own business of some sort, a café, bar, shop of some sort and do all the travelling I missed out on in my youth while semi-retired (can't imagine ever being able to retire fully).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Wife,kids,house.Failing that I'l just go the pi*s forever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'm 32, educated to post-grad level, engaged, 2 kids, working in I.T. and renting.

Current goals are to get all debts paid off and buy our own home within the next 5 years.
    Longer term I'd like to own and work in my own business of some sort, a café, bar, shop of some sort and do all the travelling I missed out on in my youth while semi-retired (can't imagine ever being able to retire fully).

I want all this and I am much younger than you. My problem, I am impatient and think I will never have anything unless I have it now or in the foreseeable future. You mention been able to buy your own home within the next 5 years...obviously you are very positive and driven but does 5 years sound a little or a lot of time for you...or are you have that this is a mid-range reachable goal...

You certainly aren't old by any standards but thats how I feel when I feel things are out of my reach. Are you were organised, have plans for each step, very positive attitude etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

failing that, be content in doing someting I love, marriage and kids isnt on the radar at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

well i have a decent job and a nice house.

So my current goals are to find someone to settle down down with.

And train my puppy a bit better... right now she would quite happily run into a neighbours house and make herself comfortable!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Get married and have a family would be what I would be aiming for eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

gatecrash wrote: »
    well i have a decent job and a nice house.

So my current goals are to find someone to settle down down with.

And train my puppy a bit better... right now she would quite happily run into a neighbours house and make herself comfortable!!:D

Your goal should be to put all of that beyond the grasp of anyone else.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

My goals have changed as I reach different stages of my life. It has gone from good job and craic, to getting house and kids and then to helping kids achieve their own goals as young adults. Now, it's all about myself and my wife enjoying quality time together and not having to do stuff that we previously had to do because of the financial demands of rearing a family. It's not about money (I don't have much left) but I'll be damned if I kick my clogs doing something that makes me miserable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Your goal should be to put all of that beyond the grasp of anyone else.... :D

What? The bad mannered puppy?? She's a bloody charmer, just wants to be EVERY one's friend.

My primary aim in life - the goal I work for - is to be in some way better by the end of each day than I was when I arose on that day. Be that in my education, my personal fitness level, my compassion, my skills, my relationships with others, my hobbies or anything else - my simple aim each day is to have somehow improved myself on the day before in any one or more of those things.

That basically sums me up in a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,181 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I want all this and I am much younger than you. My problem, I am impatient and think I will never have anything unless I have it now or in the foreseeable future. You mention been able to buy your own home within the next 5 years...obviously you are very positive and driven but does 5 years sound a little or a lot of time for you...or are you have that this is a mid-range reachable goal...

You certainly aren't old by any standards but thats how I feel when I feel things are out of my reach. Are you were organised, have plans for each step, very positive attitude etc...

While my salary could currently service a mortgage (I've paid at least 1k a month in rent for 4 years now) I've some debts that'll take me the next three years to clear (unless I manage to start paying it down early) and I'd need a couple of years to save a deposit so 5 years seems a realistic target on the house-buying front. I'd think twice about buying just yet anyway as I believe the property market has further falls to come. I think 5 years will be leaving it too late to buy at the absolute bottom but with our economy the way it is, I don't see them rocketing off the bottom either...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Sex,money,food,drink,a bit of sport on the telly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

To die happy knowing I had the world in the palm of my hand.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I've always enjoyed the maxim; "he who dies with the most toys, wins".

Seems like a good goal in life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Piliger wrote: »
    Men of what age ...... ? Every man goes through many phases in his life. Starting from complete indifference to what happens tomorrow, never mind having an 'aim'. And every man reaches these phases at completely different ages.

Well, presumably men of any age! :) That would be part of the interest of this thread, to see what different life stages do to a man's priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I seek the Grail!

Happiness, contentment? If a lovely woman is the way to go for this I'm game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Don't have any specific goals myself, rarely think further than the week ahead.

I suppose I could say what I'd want from life is a sense of balance, in various aspects:

Health (Physical/Mental)
    Emotional
    Work
    Recreation
    Responsibility/Irresponsibility
    Personality

Would definitely agree along the lines of what taxAHcruel has said as well. There's always room for one to continue and expand on one's personal development. I don't make it a goal myself on a daily basis, but always keen to take up the chance and rarely try to dismiss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

Career focused right now but still open for business on the relationship front...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Not in any particular order.

Happy marriage - Going well so far
    Healthy kids - No kids yet
    Good career - in progress cant complain at this point
    Work in NYC - Still a pipe dream :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

krudler wrote: »
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.
    I generally have no enemies. If someone pisses me off, I remove them from the picture.

=-=

Short-term goal; find out how to learn technical information. Currently I do not know how I learn info (passively learn stuff), but wish to find out so I can actively learn stuff that has no value to my current life, but would enable me to progress more in my career.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I think if you're happy and you stay that way for as much as your life as possible, you're doing damn well.

Advertisement