Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men - What is your primary aim in life?

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 28 MC Homicidal Maniac

I wanna finish the Song of Ice and Fire series.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Finish off my back catalogue of games.... I estimate I'll get through them by the age of 50 so I'll go and get married after that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'm 32, educated to post-grad level, engaged, 2 kids, working in I.T. and renting.

Current goals are to get all debts paid off and buy our own home within the next 5 years.
    Longer term I'd like to own and work in my own business of some sort, a café, bar, shop of some sort and do all the travelling I missed out on in my youth while semi-retired (can't imagine ever being able to retire fully).

I'm crashing as I'm female, but I'm sleepy albeit with potential step kids and the same goal, to be self employed.

Like to diversify into something other than IT that I can do when I retire, possibly property though I've an idea for a couple of underserved websites
    Sleepy wrote: »
    While my salary could currently service a mortgage (I've paid at least 1k a month in rent for 4 years now) I've some debts that'll take me the next three years to clear (unless I manage to start paying it down early) and I'd need a couple of years to save a deposit so 5 years seems a realistic target on the house-buying front. I'd think twice about buying just yet anyway as I believe the property market has further falls to come. I think 5 years will be leaving it too late to buy at the absolute bottom but with our economy the way it is, I don't see them rocketing off the bottom either...

I'm the same, I have a property not in negative equity (pure luck) so I can sell that and move in to something different.
    1ZRed wrote: »
    I think if you're happy and you stay that way for as much as your life as possible, you're doing damn well.

I think this is a very strong statement, I constantly ask myself if I am content with my life, and if not, what can I do.

Answer is, I am, but could do better, so I ask myself what stops me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I want to build my own house I refuse to live in a red brick cliche.
    I want the woman of my dreams... Oh yes she will be mine oh yes she will be mine...

To enjoy my life I can't say if I want kids... Simply because I think that's a dessision based on two not one..

To have a very nice office, be wealthy enough that at the drop of a hat we can fvck off to a euro city stay in a nice hotel and enjoy each others company... Other then t hat I'm not to fussed I like life's suprises :)

More so I want to be happy with some one who wants to be happy and glides above drama with elegance like a sparrow hawk :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Make money, f*ck bitches.... Although I'm not a rapper so I might go back to the drawing board.

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    Make money, f*ck bitches.... Although I'm not a rapper so I might go back to the drawing board.

Go for it. If Kanye West and Nicki Minaj can do it, so can you.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭pom pom snaz peeler

be fruitful, multiply, fill the earth and conquer it..... thats what that baldy priest told me!

Go for it. If Kanye West and Nicki Minaj can do it, so can you.
    You're right, I should put pen to paper!!!

You're right, I should put pen to paper!!!

There's a reason they call me smash
    I'll **** up your whole crew and take all their cash

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Chiram

I wanted a career and all that when I was in my twenties. The money, access to drugs and sexual deviancy that money brings were also fun learning experiences. But I grew out of them.

Now I'm older and I find myself wanting a more self sufficient life. I've been getting into aquaponics to produce my own fish and food. The next step will be to move down the country before my first kid comes along in a few months and to try set up shop there, settle down and build a blissfully mundane life.

The connected modern world is great and there's lots I can take from it but in the end its the old clichès of family, friends and personal sovereignty or freedom that become increasingly important. I'll use what I learned in my twenties to build my vision of a comfortable life now.

Maybe that's just me though. I'm not particularly usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

To achieve something of note, such as writing a novel that somebody thought was great, or having an exhibition of my art or my photographs. It'd be ideal if I could be doing something creative as a living, with some stability.

I don't think I'll ever get married, but to spend the rest of my days besotted with the most beautiful, smart and funny girl I've ever met would be great... fat chance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Chiram wrote: »
    I wanted a career and all that when I was in my twenties. The money, access to drugs and sexual deviancy that money brings were also fun learning experiences. But I grew out of them.

Now I'm older and I find myself wanting a more self sufficient life. I've been getting into aquaponics to produce my own fish and food. The next step will be to move down the country before my first kid comes along in a few months and to try set up shop there, settle down and build a blissfully mundane life.

The connected modern world is great and there's lots I can take from it but in the end its the old clichès of family, friends and personal sovereignty or freedom that become increasingly important. I'll use what I learned in my twenties to build my vision of a comfortable life now.

Maybe that's just me though. I'm not particularly usual.

Love this! ;)

The next step will be to move down the country before my first kid comes along in a few months and to try set up shop there, settle down and build a blissfully mundane life.

Seeing as you've lived your life as far as you're concerned, that's all well and good. But it's not really much of a life for a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Chiram

Chiuram wrote: »
    The next step will be to move down the country before my first kid comes along in a few months and to try set up shop there, settle down and build a blissfully mundane life.

Seeing as you've lived your life as far as you're concerned, that's all well and good. But it's not really much of a life for a child.

I didn't ask for your opinion I was offering my own. Its of no concern to me how you choose to drag up your children so please don't assume that you know the best way for the whole world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

I didn't ask for your opinion I was offering my own. Its of no concern to me how you choose to drag up your children so please don't assume that you know the best way for the whole world.

Ha...bitch slapped....;)

To be healthy and happy. Just after buying our dream home at a price we couldnt have dreamnt about.

To have enough money to do what we want, not too much that we forget the value of it.

To have fun and enjoy life!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I'm currently 26, single, living overseas and have done the usual stuff so far in life. By luck, I managed to narrowly avoid the Irish property 'ladder' - in 2009 I had a mortgage approved and house picked, only for a sudden bout of cold feet made me cancel the whole thing. This was one of the defining points in my life and one which I'm forever grateful happened!

My current goal is to keep my head down and save as much money as I can until I'm 29. Hopefully save 80-100k. My plan then is to leave my job and spend 4 or 5 years seeing the world. I'll re-evaluate my situation when I return but I plan to have a fun and laid back life after that. I have no desire to spend time chasing a hugely successful career - just something easy that can afford me to be happy in life.

I have no desire to own my own house and highly doubt I ever will. I have no plans to get married but I'll not write it off completely, after all, I have no idea what will happen. I definitely don't want children though so that will probably scare off a lot of potential fair maidens.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Feels good to write all that down though. Congratulations on reading this far if you did! Disclaimer: I'm still relatively young and, while I don't think I am, I very well may be a little naive about life and where I see myself in a few years. Hopefully I don't grow up too fast and lose sight of the things I'd really like to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

When I was younger I was convinced that earning big bucks, having a nice car, good job and all the other trappings of success and social status would bring me happiness.

It took moving halfway across the world for me to learn some hard truths about myself.. I've got all of the above; a salary and standard of living that is leagues ahead of anyone from my classes in school or college.. and I'm as unhappy as I was back home.

At the end of the day all I want is to meet a nice girl and settle down. God knows I've been through enough disastrous relationships! Unfortunately this is the most challenging aspect of life and one I've found limited success in. I've actually met a girl I'm crazy about but the more we date the more I'm convinced it's not reciprocated.

My point was that you said you've done this, done that etc. Would you not want your child to experience some of it too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

To not define myself by what others think of me. I think if I can manage that then all the other stuff like contentness in life an a good career will fall into place. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Another ten years to pay my mortgage off, then move out.

She can have the house, i just want out.

• Advertisement

getzls wrote: »
    Another ten years to pay my mortgage off, then move out.

She can have the house, i just want out.

Why would you pay it off and then hand it over to her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

All the things on the OP would be what Im hoping for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭Madam Marie

To marry Kelly Clarkson, but failing that - just to be happy and somehow take whatever life throws at me (life is forever throwing shit at me).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Current aim is to clear debts, which will take 12-18 months. Then I'll book a flight to the nearest desert island, build a shack, string up a hammock and spend the rest of my days catching my own dinner and sexing the island girls. Or something to that effect.

I have no desire to buy a house, get married or have children. I just want to enjoy my life, it's the only one I've got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Be happy, healthy, and have enough money to get by and go on some fancy dan holidays the odd time if I want. That's it. Most importantly, to be healthy, in body and in mind.
    I have heard enough stories of people who took their own lives to know that stuff is just stuff. A fancy car means f*ckall if you're mentally unsound.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

I just want to find happiness, bottle it and share it with the people that I love. The nearest road to happiness at the moment is through paying back my student loan and making sure my mother never wants for anything as long as she lives. Also, I don't want to have kids or get married ever but I would very much like to find a person/people with whom to share my brand of happiness once I've found it.

Current aim is to clear debts, which will take 12-18 months. Then I'll book a flight to the nearest desert island, build a shack, string up a hammock and spend the rest of my days catching my own dinner and sexing the island girls. Or something to that effect.

I have no desire to buy a house, get married or have children. I just want to enjoy my life, it's the only one I've got.

Do you really not want to make lots of island babies with one of island girls?!

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    I just want to find happiness, bottle it and share it with the people that I love. The nearest road to happiness at the moment is through paying back my student loan and making sure my mother never wants for anything as long as she lives. Also, I don't want to have kids or get married ever but I would very much like to find a person/people with whom to share my brand of happiness once I've found it.

There are so many of your guys saying you don't want to get married or have kids and you seem like such nice guys too...and not for one minute am I saying that only nice people have children...it's just a personal subject to me...so can you or anyone else with the same opinion elabortate a little on the reasons behind why you don't want the marriage/children thing even though the majority of you want to find that special someone...basically, what's the turn off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

There are so many of your guys saying you don't want to get married or have kids and you seem like such nice guys too...and not for one minute am I saying that only nice people have children...it's just a personal subject to me...so can you or anyone else with the same opinion elabortate a little on the reasons behind why you don't want the marriage/children thing even though the majority of you want to find that special someone...basically, what's the turn off?

I can't speak for the other guys on the thread but, for me, it's a freedom thing. I like the idea that I can move anywhere in the world at a moment's notice, that I can blow my weeks wages in one night, that I can spend half a night trying to get away with some girl. I like the idea that I can do whatever I want, whenever I want, for the rest of my life. I'm not going to do these things every week/month/year but it's nice to know that I can if I want and that I don't have to explain myself to anybody. I'm not saying that people who have wife/kids etc don't have freedom but it's not the same level of freedom.

Obviously there are things that I'll miss out on by not having a wife/kids but, for me, the positives seem to outweigh the negatives. My outlook may change as I get older but I don't think it will. I sometimes think it might be quite a selfish way of thinking but at the end of the day, it's my life and I have to do whatever makes me happy, so long as I'm not hurting anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

oldyouth wrote: »
    My goals have changed as I reach different stages of my life. It has gone from good job and craic, to getting house and kids and then to helping kids achieve their own goals as young adults. Now, it's all about myself and my wife enjoying quality time together and not having to do stuff that we previously had to do because of the financial demands of rearing a family. It's not about money (I don't have much left) but I'll be damned if I kick my clogs doing something that makes me miserable

No need for the sex-life deets ! :pac:

Advertisement