Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffalo & Doozerie - The mild musings of two grumpy old men!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Gasco

CramCycle wrote: »
    Coming from Shankill and turning right to head towards town. I use the cycle lane on the return leg as it cuts out the roundabout.

On the way into town I avoid that whole mess by taking the left after the Applegreen and coming down past the Silver Tassie (or whatever it is called these days). I think most drivers are still in motorway mode getting to that roundabout, I have had similar experiences to yours Cram - not a nice place on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Jeebus. Local facebook group was giving out about cyclists on the Shankill N11 roundabout being dangerous. Now passing through it every day, the majority of cyclists don't even use it, probably less than 5%. I pointed out that unlike many of the road users there, at least I knew how to use a roundabout including indicating, correct lane, changing lane and observation. This morning was a prime example of why I am not the danger.

In the right lane as I am taking the third exit. Two cars behind me, we are all waiting for a break to move out. Just as we get it, a 181 comes in on the left lane, comes beside me on the roundabout and wheels struggling with grip as it corners. I know as soon as I look at him, no indicator, looking straight through me, he is going to go around. I have to slow to allow him to pass for my own safety. He gets onto the N11 and promptly swerves from the left lane to the right lane so he can gun it past a few cars. It is pretty grey and murky, no lights on, no indicators, no lane manners. Every fuppin morning there is an idiot there, and yet somehow, I am the one who gets given out about online.

Are "they" giving out about cyclists using the right lane for the 3rd exit or using the left lane and going all the way around? I use it inbound daily and use the left lane everytime as I find it's safer for exiting to the left lane of the N11 and taking the exit for Whelans. I've very rarely had a problem on the roundabout with traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Plastik wrote: »
    Are "they" giving out about cyclists using the right lane for the 3rd exit or using the left lane and going all the way around? I use it inbound daily and use the left lane everytime as I find it's safer for exiting to the left lane of the N11 and taking the exit for Whelans. I've very rarely had a problem on the roundabout with traffic.

So you take the third exit off a roundabout from the left lane?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Plastik wrote: »
    Just giving out about cyclist using the roundabout in general.

The only traffic I accept using the left lane to turn right on that roundabout are buses as they have a bus lane nearly up to the roundabout, and they indicate and the fact that they are DB so there is really only one place they are going.

I have seen cyclists using the left lane, and I nearly always see cars jump out from the M11 (left side) in front of them. I take the right lane (as is good etiquette) and indicate clearly, I never have issues with people who follow the best practices for roundabouts.

Every day though, cars coming southbound, turning right and going in on the left lane for Loughlinstown, not indicating, or indicating the wrong way (FFS, I had someone turning right on a roundabout tell me you had to indicate left as you entered, I just closed my eyes and never got a lift with the dimwit again).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

cjt156 wrote: »
    So you take the third exit off a roundabout from the left lane?

On that roundabout, on the bike, I do. I find it's safer to take primary position in the centre-right of the left lane on entry to and around the roundabout from Shankill, and to follow the left lane around to the third exit so that it leaves me exiting onto a dual carraigeway in the left lane where I'm taking a slip-exit on the left 200m away.

Fair play for using the cycling 'infrastructure' there but it's completely deficient and not worth the hassle.

• Advertisement

Well nothing to be proud of this morning. Coming past Stillorgan/Oatlands college and the usual mess of cars not willing to wait and clogging the junction. Muppet on a bike beside me goes through a red, at the same time a car goes through a crossing red (the cyclist was about to go green) and an angry near miss was had by all with both parties thinking they were in the right.

Anyway, a little further up, where you can turn left just after the pedestrian crossing, a car came out from the traffic line, into the bus lane to take the left but I was already there. i could have slammed on or any number of things. Instead i let a roar and punched the wing mirror as I continued on. It was not my finest hour. The driver needless to say was surprised by my existence and looked confused as to what was happening.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I got some friendly advice from a taxi driver on Mobhi road today (happens there more than anywhere else).

Heard a beep a bit behind me. Took no notice, taxi driver was beeping at a guy on a bike about 20 metres further back. Must have squeezed by them soon after. Heard the same beep 10 or so seconds later. Gave a look and just shook my head. Driver rolled down the window, stopped halfway in both lanes, obstructing traffic behind twice, advised me to use the bus lane inside.

Me: "But I am in the bus & cycle lane".
    Him: No the one inside.
    Me: The one for traffic going the other direction?
    Him: No the one inside
    Me: Well I'm in the cycle lane, and I was going faster than you, and we're now at a red light.
    Him: Well, I didn't even beep at you. It was him in front (him was a her and it certainly wasn't them who was never once in the same lane as me).

At this point I continued on my way and probably got to my destination about 15 minutes faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Scenery: lights known for red light jumpers in the morning.

Me: waiting at lights
    Green light: goes on
    1st car: passes on their red
    2nd car: squeezes past the 1st
    3rd car: tries to follow suit
    Me: pretends to move forward, the front wheel goes slightly in their way, forcing the car to stop and block the traffic. Lesson learned, so I give them a wave to move on.
    3rd car passenger: shouts obscenities while passing.

466069.JPG

The whole thing took 3-4 seconds, was most likely slightly frustrating to people behind me, but if cars will jump the red without anyone ever giving a shoite, it will never stop.

<vigilante mode off>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Gasco wrote: »
    On the way into town I avoid that whole mess by taking the left after the Applegreen and coming down past the Silver Tassie (or whatever it is called these days). I think most drivers are still in motorway mode getting to that roundabout, I have had similar experiences to yours Cram - not a nice place on the bike.
    That's an idea - a bit longer, but more pleasant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

I had a close pass at the weekend, and then the guy slowed up and came back alongside me to tell me I should be on the cycle track.

Does anyone ever fantasize about just leaping through the window in those cases? I mean, I don't think it would work considering the cleats, and even if I unclipped, the bike would probably be fecked under the back wheels of the car, or at least bounced along the ground at speed.

The deliberate close pass is such a bully move when the driver has the advantage of a more powerful force. So part of me would love to see the the reaction as I dived in on top of them, superman-style, and grabbed them by the lapels to roar into their face how much of an arsehat they are. Who's got the power now?

Missed my opportunity yesterday anyway. Maybe next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I reckon the pedals would stay attached so you could carry your bike with you ready for a quick getaway after...

This morning I had looked behind, car about 250m back, cyclist in front of me, indicated out and started overtaking. Nearly finished the overtake when the car pulled alongside, to beep the horn and start gesticulating out the window. I slowed down after this because I felt that rush of adrenaline I imagine a MMA fighter feels before they let civility slide from their minds and batter someone. Thankfully we never seen each other again but I just don't get it. The path was clear, I indicated, the car actually had to speed up to do what he done. Even then, the road was empty so he was not obstructed.
    It was a 50kmph zone, I was doing north of 30kmph, back of the envelope calculations tell me that had the car being doing the speed limit, it should have been at least 45seconds to catch me if neither slows. He caught me in less than 15. This means, again no calculator involved, he was probably, at least, 30kmph above the speed limit.
    So he was speeding, overtaking another vehicle that was already overtaking, beeping his horn when there was no need, driving without due care and attention (took his hand off the wheel and stared at me as he passed, drifting quite a bit).
    Do you know how much time I took from his journey? Nothing. Do you know how much I obstructed him? Not a bit. I mean FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

This morning I had looked behind, car about 250m back, cyclist in front of me, indicated out and started overtaking. Nearly finished the overtake when the car pulled alongside, to beep the horn and start gesticulating out the window. I slowed down after this because I felt that rush of adrenaline I imagine a MMA fighter feels before they let civility slide from their minds and batter someone. Thankfully we never seen each other again but I just don't get it. The path was clear, I indicated, the car actually had to speed up to do what he done. Even then, the road was empty so he was not obstructed.
    It was a 50kmph zone, I was doing north of 30kmph, back of the envelope calculations tell me that had the car being doing the speed limit, it should have been at least 45seconds to catch me if neither slows. He caught me in less than 15. This means, again no calculator involved, he was probably, at least, 30kmph above the speed limit.
    So he was speeding, overtaking another vehicle that was already overtaking, beeping his horn when there was no need, driving without due care and attention (took his hand off the wheel and stared at me as he passed, drifting quite a bit).
    Do you know how much time I took from his journey? Nothing. Do you know how much I obstructed him? Not a bit. I mean FFS.
    Don't you know that what you did was an irrestable provocation to that most primitive part of his brain, the cyclopasshimmust :rolleyes:

A conflict of sorts this morning , mainly in the vestibules of my mind. So on my typical commute, I use the bus lane for parts as the cycle lane is dire. This is widely accepted without issue by most buses in recent times. This morning the traffic was pretty awful, to the point where the bus lane at several points was blocked by cars turning left a km too early,and blocking in buses.

Anyway, a white transit starts using the bus lane when its quieter, and continues to use them for a few km. Its weird though, I was annoyed with the driver for being a cheeky sh1t but when I had to jump out and indicated, he slowed and let me out. Stayed behind me when I used the bus lane without giving aggro. In fact other than being in the bus lane, he was an example of a good driver. I am so confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭aldark

Anyway, a white transit starts using the bus lane when its quieter, and continues to use them for a few km. Its weird though, I was annoyed with the driver for being a cheeky sh1t but when I had to jump out and indicated, he slowed and let me out. Stayed behind me when I used the bus lane without giving aggro. In fact other than being in the bus lane, he was an example of a good driver. I am so confused.

that's cos he knew he was taking the piss. moral compensation or something like that. if he wasn't breaking any law he'd be close passing, breaking the lights and otherwise driving like the entitled white van driver he is!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

aldark wrote: »
    that's cos he knew he was taking the piss. moral compensation or something like that. if he wasn't breaking any law he'd be close passing, breaking the lights and otherwise driving like the entitled white van driver he is!

I once had a car in illegally in the bus land going up the Drumcondra road (traffic was busy) from Drumcondra to the turn off for DCU. The driver and his passenger beeped, shouted, gesticulated the whole way pretty much, then went by me at some lights just at the turn off to DCU, shouting that I should have been in the cycle lane. I was dumbfounded, and the motorbike driver who witnessed the whole thing began giving out to the lads in the car for being so aggressive with me and driving in the bus lane. They could not see, for love nor money, anything wrong with their driving behaviour. The mind boggles. They were absolute pricks.
    Moral compensation should be compulsory. I want some!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭aldark

nee wrote: »
    They could not see, for love nor money, anything wrong with their driving behaviour. The mind boggles. They were absolute pricks.
    Moral compensation should be compulsory. I want some!

"the unexamined life is not worth living" - those guys obviously didn't know what they didn't know! There must be a typology of ignorance for road users with this particular one being at the bottom.

Lots of cars in bus lanes doing the indicate left constantly thing that everyone knows doesn't fool anyone for the last 2 days.

So this morning I am heading for a pedestrian lights with my son (we are walking) and the green man is there. As we are about to cross, the car, that is almost on the crossing, starts rolling forward. We stop and step back as she is staring at the little green man on the other side and not looking anywhere else. It has just started to flash, our feet are on the crossing though. Regardless, I pull back and pull the kid back, the driver from the other side looks confused and waves me on. I smile and wave a polite no thanks. The girl now realises what she has done and starts reversing and waving me across. I Just shrug and mutter, you may as well go now. She looked at me with such a look of confusion, as in why would I be annoyed. She stopped 12 feet later at the rear of the next car.

Funnily, I would have had more of a backbone if my son wasn't there, but now I am annoyed I am teaching him to let people away with that ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Funnily, I would have had more of a backbone if my son wasn't there, but now I am annoyed I am teaching him to let people away with that ****.

You are teaching him to pay attention to other road users and not simply assume that they are aware of what is going on around them.

A far more valuable lesson than teaching him how to get annoyed.

• Advertisement

Lungs are getting a good workout this week, all were seen in time and avoided but the number of drivers I have had to wake up to my presence has been annoying.

Coming past Topaz this morning and a truck had pulled out to block the cycle lane. I was in the bus lane but I knew he hadn't looked and couldn't see me unless he moved his head forward. Anyway, just as I am a few metres short, he decides to roll out further. I let a roar, he stops but it must have been loud enough as the driving lanes on the N11 lit up like a Christmas tree with all the brake lights coming on as everyone for 100m wondered was it them I was calling to attention.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there is something deeply frustrating at shouting minor profanities at idiot motorists who have just nearly driven into you, and seeing an obvious '**** did i do?' look of puzzlement on their faces, and they just toddle off in their asshole cars none the wiser as to what they've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

there is something deeply frustrating at shouting minor profanities at idiot motorists who have just nearly driven into you, and seeing an obvious '**** did i do?' look of puzzlement on their faces, and they just toddle off in their asshole cars none the wiser as to what they've done.

Yeah, I vary between trying to point out the error of their ways and not even bothering. You certainly get the impression that there is no point. Just this morning I had a guy stopped at the lights but almost touching the kerb, so no space to pass on the bike. I knocked on the window and told him to be more considerate and that there was loads of space.

He was quite nice but simply said that that he had to give the cars on the right (there was two lanes) space so tough! (He was wrong as there is ample space for two cars and a bike to fit in that junction).

Anyway, it just seems that it never makes any difference. Every so often you get an apologetic wave, but you know that they will do it again and only sorry a bike was there at the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was a weird one for me this morning - coming up the leopardstown road, behind the microsoft bus and a car. the bus indicated left to take the swing into the estate, and the car pulled out as if to pass the bus, so i picked up pace slightly, and then next thing the car is pulling in on top of me. not sure if the driver realised at the last minute 'actually, this *is* my turn'.

was a weird one for me this morning - coming up the leopardstown road, behind the microsoft bus and a car. the bus indicated left to take the swing into the estate, and the car pulled out as if to pass the bus, so i picked up pace slightly, and then next thing the car is pulling in on top of me. not sure if the driver realised at the last minute 'actually, this *is* my turn'.

He maybe realised that he had to update the Microsoft driver.

Gets coat and flees

that's a lifetime ban.

Was heading up the Leopardstown road the other evening towards the n11. It was dark and wet. I was at the bit where the lanes divide at the top, traffic was heavy, I was filtering along by all the stopped cars.
    A pedestrian on the other side of the road starts shouting 'you're not a cor, you're not a cor, YOU'RE NOT A COR' in the finest of D4 accents.
    I was bemused at what exactly I was doing that was 'cor' like, I was going by them all.
    The mystery shall remain unsolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

nee wrote: »
    Was heading up the Leopardstown road the other evening towards the n11. It was dark and wet. I was at the bit where the lanes divide at the top, traffic was heavy, I was filtering along by all the stopped cars.
    A pedestrian on the other side of the road starts shouting 'you're not a cor, you're not a cor, YOU'RE NOT A COR' in the finest of D4 accents.
    I was bemused at what exactly I was doing that was 'cor' like, I was going by them all.
    The mystery shall remain unsolved.

This is what you should have shouted back at him.

467133.jpg

i'd say nearly half my 'interactions' with motorists (on my commute) are on the leopardstown road.

• Advertisement

i'd say nearly half my 'interactions' with motorists (on my commute) are on the leopardstown road.

Yeah. I think mainly cos the cycle lane is completely unusable, motorists expect you to be in it and are muchly aggrieved that you're not.
    It's an excellent example of how not to build a cycle lane.
    Aside from its grand national bumpage and straight ahead impossibility, and of course firing you into left turning cars, people just pull out of their houses in cars straight over the cycle lane to the road to see if anything is coming.
    It's quite the piece of work!

Advertisement