Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its my statue, my town.. Cllr J Gilligan

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

John Gilligan is probaly the only councillor to stand up to the Limerick drug gangs in person, face to face. And called them scumbags on national TV.
    So that proves that his not afraid of them. Never mind a few kids on cruises St. Hes a councillor not a door man for private bussinesses.

He has worked hard to get that monument for the people of Limerick.
    A monument that respects the history of the working class in Limerick.

And for an Englishman to dance on our monument and roar at a representative of the people of Limerick is not on.
    John Gilligan has worked hard for the people of Limerick for the last 18 or more years. The people of Limerick city are very fond of John.

I'm sure he's done fantastic things but this was nonsense.

You are actually being so bias that you are making it out as though the guy danced on someones grave, It's not dancing on it, it's dancing with it.

It's a prominent feature of Limerick City and it makes sense that it should be part of a video promoting an event in the City.

You're sectarian biggotry is unneccesary also. The English guy in the video was also not the guy in the shot, so he most likely was not dancing on/with the statue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Exactly one nicely edited in clip lasting a couple of seconds. Why didn't they show the full episode leading up to when Gilligan came across to them?

Why are you moving the goalposts?

You asked
    Itsdacraic wrote: »
    If they were filming the whole thing why didn't they include the clips of what exactly they were doing on the statue?

and when I pointed out to you that they in fact did include the clip of exactly what they were doing on the statue, you're now asking why they didn't post the whole thing?

Well now, I'd say it's because they had almost 10 full minutes of yer man ranting at them. How long are non-sponsored youtube videos, again?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

John Gilligan is probaly the only councillor to stand up to the Limerick drug gangs in person, face to face. And called them scumbags on national TV.
    So that proves that his not afraid of them. Never mind a few kids on cruises St. Hes a councillor not a door man for private bussinesses.

And for an Englishman to dance on our monument and roar at a representative of the people of Limerick is not on.
    John Gilligan has worked hard for the people of Limerick for the last 18 or more years. The people of Limerick city are very fond of John.

Think it would be more accurate to say that some of the people of Limerick are fond of him rather than a comment that suggests all the people of Limerick are fond of him.

If the people of Limerick were all fond of him, then his past attempts at running for a Dail seat would not have ended in complete failure in terms of how few votes he got. Surely such a popular and well liked man would have gotten the support needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

The process to elect majors in most towns is a joke. Usually done by a small collection of councillors in a back room deal its more about rotating the post so they all get a turn a the gig. It never seems to be about who can actuallly change things for better.
    And to the poster above who says that people in limerick city are fond of john gilligan, fair enough, but they are also fond of willie o dea.

You reap what you sow....

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Kess73 wrote: »
    Think it would be more accurate to say that some of the people of Limerick are fond of him rather than a comment that suggests all the people of Limerick are fond of him.

If the people of Limerick were all fond of him, then his past attempts at running for a Dail seat would not have ended in complete failure in terms of how few votes he got. Surely such a popular and well liked man would have gotten the support needed.

John has got alderman (highest number of votes in local election) a good few times. And I never said all the people, so stop trying to twist words.

Your trying to nitpick on little things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I think a campaign to get everyone in Ireland to get to Limerick to Dance on this statue.

That'll show him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

mayordenis wrote: »
    Anything at all that is is street based (Skating, BMXing, Rollerblading, Parkour, Breaking) relies on different locations, different settings, different objects, to make their sport interesting, and if it does absolutely zero damage, then the people should be reasonable enough to respect that.

I would go so far as to say, people with his frame of thought would rather a few scangers stand around near the status shouting, spitting, genuinely being little knobheads.

He was a dog with a bone in that video, he made no point with anything resembling a shred of facts, 'vandalism'? Give me a break.

I think you should probably stay out of this, you obviously have no clue who John Gilligan is and what he stands for.

I think you should probably stay out of this, you obviously have no clue who John Gilligan is and what he stands for.

Actually no I don't need a fact sheet though to see he was acting poorly in this case. So I won't stay out of a discussion on Boards, thanks though I appreciate your attempt at a bit of moral guiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Why are you speaking on everyone's behalf? I know an awful lot of people who dislike him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Jofspring

A the end of the day what was to stop him approaching the lads in a civil manner and explain who he was and why he would appreciate them not dancing on or around the statue, instead of from the start of the video it seems he approached them all guns blazing giving out. It was only as the video went on he stated who he was. He calmed down a bit as it went on which was fair enough but that's the way he needed to start the conversation. The English lad got a bit more aggressive but he seemed to be getting angry as the video went on and conversation got heated. He also mentioned that Gilligan called them **** on a few occasions which the councillor did not deny which leaves me to believe he did call them ****. That is totally unacceptable from a city councillor.

A lot of people's problems in this country lie around the fact they don't know how to act civil and think if they have a complaint to make they need to be aggressive from the get go.

Approaching lads on the street shouting at them is obviously going to start things off on the wrong foot no matter what the complaint is about.

• Advertisement

Actually no I don't need a fact sheet though to see he was acting poorly in this case. So I won't stay out of a discussion on Boards, thanks though I appreciate your attempt at a bit of moral guiding.

What you are saying makes you look foolish, that's all. I don't comment on threads where I am as ignorant as muck, you carry on.

What you are saying makes you look foolish, that's all. I don't comment on threads where I am as ignorant as muck, you carry on.

Explain to me how I'm being ignorant? I haven't quistioned this mans previous body of work. I simply answered a question asked by somebody along with saying how poorly I thought he behaved, and it was poor. Anyway I suppose it's obvious there's no point in continuing this, as you're going to keep accusing me of being ignorant because I don't have the back story to this man's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I thought he had a fair point, you can't have people, whoever they are jumping about on memorials....he handled it poorly though for a man of his experience, if he introduced himself properly & explained that it was a memorial & the significance of it to the group maybe they would have accepted that...bit of a storm in a teacup though all the same.

Explain to me how I'm being ignorant? I haven't quistioned this mans previous body of work. I simply answered a question asked by somebody along with saying how poorly I thought he behaved, and it was poor. Anyway I suppose it's obvious there's no point in continuing this, as you're going to keep accusing me of being ignorant because I don't have the back story to this man's life.

In your first post you said "I would go so far as to say, people with his frame of thought would rather a few scangers stand around near the status shouting, spitting, genuinely being little knobheads."

That shows that you know nothing about the man in question yet you see fit to comment on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

My god. Vandals? Did any of you bother to watch the promotional video? It showed Limerick in a great light I thought. Fair play to them they could just as easily be drunk, stoned armed to the teeth and standing on the corner selling drugs to kids. Their video was excellent. JG's video was a holy show. To me he seemed like a man after a pint. Also a man in his position should lead by example. The correct way to deal would have been to contact local police and make a complaint. He has condemned vigilante behaviour himself before. Maybe it was an attempt to get on camera defending the honour of limerick which backfired.

This group are funded by the COUNCIL! The guy in the wife beater has championed street dance for years. He has probably taught most of those kids how to dance. Probably keeping them off the streets:D in the process. In the finished video all the guy does is jump over the statue using a hand and a foot the most of the dancing is done with the statue in the background which looks great. They showed all the nice parts of limerick unlike the last few limerick tv shows.

Please please please get over my username. I've been defending it for at least 5 years. I think my next name is going to be 'Limerick murder capital of Ireland' if it's ok for rte to say it why not me?

I know just as many non supporters of JG as I do supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

http://makeamove.ie/

At exactly 2:04 in this video clip the young dancer takes a running jump and leaps onto the docker statue and off the other side. Presumably this would have required a number of practice turns or camera takes.

Having watched this clip I can easily see why Cllr Gilligan became annoyed with the "jumping on the statue" because that is exactly what the young lad was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

juneg wrote: »
    http://makeamove.ie/

At exactly 2:04 in this video clip the young dancer takes a running jump and leaps onto the docker statue and off the other side. Presumably this would have required a number of practice turns or camera takes.

Having watched this clip I can easily see why Cllr Gilligan became annoyed with the "jumping on the statue" because that is exactly what the young lad was doing.

Quick build a Garda station beside the monument. Wait there is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,783 ✭✭✭✭phog

I haven't watched the full video on the OP (tbh I found boring and some of the childish comments didn't help) but it seems that Gilligan (after calming down) realised that they were doing a promo video and accepted that itwas a good idea but was afraid that if they used a clip of the guys being on the monument it could lead to Joe Public doing the same and destroying it.

I think it was great that he enough pride in his city to challenged them, if there was a video of him passing by and ignoring something we'd have as many shouting about it. His approch may very well be wrong but how do any of us react when we get angry and he got angry when he saw a public monument being misused. I wish more of our public representatives had the same pride in our city.

:)Interestingly if you watch the clip on youtube the vast majority of comments are in favour of the councillor, he'll do well out of this. Looks like it may have backfired on the lads.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

:)Interestingly if you watch the clip on youtube the vast majority of comments are in favour of the councillor, he'll do well out of this. Looks like it may have backfired on the lads.:)

There are four pages of comments for the video, and the vast majority of them are certainly not in favour of Gilligan. Page one has a good % in favour of him, but read through the next three pages.

In fact a number of the comments in favour of him were posted by the same person if you check the usernames.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Stab*City wrote: »
    Quick build a Garda station beside the monument. Wait there is one.[/Q

Ha Ha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Had Cllr Gilligan the right to approach the lads when he saw them jump on the statue...absoloutely

Did he have a right to approach them in the manner he did...not a chance

He probably also had a few jars in claws as his manner was awful, he should at the very least issue an apology,

I used to live very close to him and he was always stand offish and came across ignorant , His family though always came across very decent and warm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Kess73 wrote: »
    There are four pages of comments for the video, and the vast majority of them are certainly not in favour of Gilligan. Page one has a good % in favour of him, but read through the next three pages.

In fact a number of the comments in favour of him were posted by the same person if you check the usernames.

There's a load of comments deleted (including mine) if you look closely you'll see posts that were clearly answers to someone elses posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Stab*City wrote: »
    Quick build a Garda station beside the monument. Wait there is one.

Haha, he has you dead to rights there.

How do we know he didn't initially ask them to stop what they were doing in a more dignified way? Good chance those clowns, even if asked nicely, would have had something smart to say back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

el dude wrote: »
    Haha, he has you dead to rights there.

How do we know he didn't initially ask them to stop what they were doing in a more dignified way? Good chance those clowns, even if asked nicely, would have had something smart to say back.

Even if he did ask nicely he has no power to make them move away. If he thought they were there illegally he should of went to the garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Have to say I am with the dancers on this one and Gilligan should just f&^k off back to his island . I watched their promo video and thought it was outstanding , best Cruise's St. has looked in years , though judging by the closed shops it must have been 7 am in the morning .The councillor would be better off using his energy to maintain that level of cleanliness all day.

As to the statue itself , I always have to smile when I pass it and I wonder was the sculpter/artist being a little bit subversive. It is a faithful representation of the truth, but not the ''truth'' that most attribute to it. While the dockers may have worked in terrible conditions by the time the 60's and 70's came round they virtually brought the port to its knees, never to recover.

A bit like that brilliant statue outside Mayorstone Garda Station where the villain is unmasked , or is that when one enters the station it is the law that takes off the mask and shows its true face ?

P.S the island I refer to is Gilligan's Island before anyone gets too upset

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

el dude wrote: »

That's nothing but speculation on your part, and has nothing whatsoever to back it up. A poor effort to turn this thread on its head.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,783 ✭✭✭✭phog

campo wrote: »
    He probably also had a few jars in claws as his manner was awful, he should at the very least issue an apology,

That's nothing but speculation on your part and when I used to walk the 3 bridges I used to meet him. So if I was to speculate, then I'd think that he was out for his evening walk and saw what he thought were vandals at the monument and decided to challenge them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

If these boys are ambassadors for this event, I think I'll skip. Couldn't stick em in the video, not sure their attitude is great promotion for the city at all.
    Ye're in a bad place when "we'll put it on YouTube to promote the city" can be used to justify anything.

My offer to promote the city by dancing on someones car still stands, sheet metal will pop right out, I've done it before. It'd be great promotion for your area, in YouTube an all. It'll also be great publicity for my "brand" but that's beside the point isn't it?

There was a limerick lad got an awful surprise recently when he tried to do some promotional/political/stupid messing on the Michael Collins monument in Beal na bla. Should he have been messing around on it all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

What I can't figure out is if these guys were so aggrieved why did they wait until the day before yesterday to publish this video while the original promo was published in June. Reeks of a publicity stunt to me.

Advertisement