Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its my statue, my town.. Cllr J Gilligan

Options
  • 27-09-2012 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

Guys trying to show the city in a good light and then this guy comes along.. He actually thinks he owns Limerick. Its people like him who have ruined Limerick. A counsellor calling dancers ******s and claiming the statue as his!

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

*face-palm*

I would love to see this make the local papers. What a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Wow. What a king Cnut. What a wonderful, welcoming place. A flipping dance video. I can't think of anything more harmless and he equates it with vandalism.

Well, if that's what he really wants I'll go on mentally picturing Limerick as the open sewer of grime and grimness portrayed in Angela's Ashes, especially since it seems attitudes haven't changed in the last century.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Jesus, this is the kind of clown that gets elected in this city

• Registered Users Posts: 46 houseinthesun

Question is, was he coming from or going to the local hostelry in the background?
    My guess is the former!
    His patronising tone alone was sickening .........."People like you"!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I watched the secret millionaire thing on sky+ last night and Cllr Gilligan and his cronies seemed to be fairly pissed off handing over the keys to the ex-soldiers, this video is fairly embarrassing for him but I suppose he is from a different generation and didn't understand what was going on, I understood he was popular enough during his term as mayor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I posted it to Facebook, I hope the Internet is Kind to him.

[Sarcasm ALARM]

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

What a great example of the backward and ignorant thinking that has helped give Limerick a bad reputation and a great example of the kind of person that businesses get to cross paths with when trying to set up in Limerick.

Local media should be all over this to highlight the kind of abuse and ignorance that attempts at something positive can be met with by certain elected officials in Limerick.

And the scary thing is that there are a number of other elected officials who would have very similar mannerisms and backward thinking that get to influence what happens in this city.

Well done John Gilligan, you just showed yourself up as exactly the kind of elected official that this city and country can do without.

Embarrassing to think that he was the mayor of Limerick and representing the city to outside investors and the like.

He verbally abused the dance crew and accused them of vadalism, maybe he should go and report the "crimes" he witnessed and was happy to make accusations about. If he had a shred of decency he would step down, but the gravy train is far too good for that to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

this video is fairly embarrassing for him but I suppose he is from a different generation and didn't understand what was going on

That is absolutely in no way an excuse for saying crap like "this is MY statue". Unless he either a. paid for it out of his own pocket and installed it in public out of the goodness of his over exerted chest muscle or b. cast it himself, both of which I sincerely doubt, given his attitude.

If he was English he'd be calling those guys plebs and telling them to know their place.

Question is, was he coming from or going to the local hostelry in the background?
    My guess is the former!
    His patronising tone alone was sickening .........."People like you"!

Yep from the elected official who likes to get up on a soapbox when there is a reporter around so that he can go on about discrimination against Limerick and people living in Limerick. That video suggests that he is a dab hand at making false accusations and discriminating against people himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Stab*City wrote: »
    A counsellor calling kids ******s and claiming the statue as his!

The sound is pretty poor, but I would give Councillor Gilligan the benefit of the doubt here.

He is clearly irate about Kids with a three-day-beard :rolleyes: jumping (dancing) on the Dockers Monument.

• Advertisement

That is absolutely in no way an excuse for saying crap like "this is MY statue". Unless he either a. paid for it out of his own pocket and installed it in public out of the goodness of his over exerted chest muscle or b. cast it himself, both of which I sincerely doubt, given his attitude.

If he was English he'd be calling those guys plebs and telling them to know their place.

Good shout, pretty much a less educated version.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The sound is pretty poor, but I would give Councillor Gilligan the benefit of the doubt here.

He is clearly irate about Kids with a three-day-beard :rolleyes: jumping (dancing) on the Dockers Monument.

I genuinely can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic.

How could you possibly give him the benefit of the doubt after watching his behaviour in that video?

Bet if he was offered a photo op of getting his face in the paper with regards the Make A Move festival before what happened in the video, he would have been quick to try and pretend he was totally behind it and that it was great for Limerick.

Certain elected officials in Limerick. Great at pretending to be behind something or that they had something to do with it when there is a photo op. But not so good at getting behind things when there is no benefit for themselves.

Bit like another elected official who, when it suited him, was all talk about the skate park and had no problem using it as a location for him to have pics taken of himself, but who then months commented in public about how it should be closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,539 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I understood he was popular enough during his term as mayor.

During his mayoral term all I seem to remember it was a constant stream of B.S and phot ops?
    I've never heard a positive opinion of the man from anyone whom he hadn't actually performed a service too...
    And even with those folk the opinion is usually one of he's a P.I.T.A but he did me a turn!
    Beer Baron wrote: »
    I posted it to Facebook, I hope the Internet is Kind to him.

[Sarcasm ALARM]

As have I....
    I really cannot believe the small minded petty and bullying attitude he exuded in that post!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

The state of them.
    Pity he didn't knock them back to MTV land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

Charming, well done John, I'm sure the press will pick up on it now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    The state of them.
    Pity he didn't knock them back to MTV land.

Yeah, the state of them :rolleyes:
    No mention of that belly which was about to push the bigger guy into the Shannon

There once was a man called Gilligan,
    Who thought that he was without sin,
    One day some dancers made him see red,
    And in he went like Joe Dredd.

Respect the statue he said,
    I put it there he said,
    He puffed out belly and jaw,
    and stood like he was the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭HattieMcDoogal

I'm going to be devils advocate here. I'm by no means condoning what was said but that statue is a memorial. I know someone who lost a family member down the docks (decades ago) and to some dancing on that statue may be seen as akin to dancing on a gravestone.

I'm not trolling, I can just see two sides to this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I'm going to be devils advocate here. I'm by no means condoning what was said but that statue is a memorial. I know someone who lost a family member down the docks (decades ago) and to some dancing on that statue may be seen as akin to dancing on a gravestone.

Thats fair enough, no problem with that. And im sure if someone had went over to them and calmly explained the situation they would have been a lot more welcoming instead of GI fúcking Joe going in all guns blazing abusing them.

Theres no doubt in my mind that he was sitting outside Clohessys, his mates said something so he thought he would be the big man and try to intimidate them to impress people. It backfired badly for him.

• Advertisement

But surely if that was Gilligan's initial aim, should he not have gone with that approach rather than going in with accusations of vandalism, claims that it was his statue, and what not?

I wonder if he would have been so aggressive and vocal if there had been a fashion shoot at a prominent statue that involved a model or local "celeb" leaning against or sitting on part of the statue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tipptopper

He could do with doing a bit of dancing himself and get some exercise, his mouth is nearly as big as his gut; nearly....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Kess73 wrote: »
    What a great example of the backward and ignorant thinking that has helped give Limerick a bad reputation and a great example of the kind of person that businesses get to cross paths with when trying to set up in Limerick.

Local media should be all over this to highlight the kind of abuse and ignorance that attempts at something positive can be met with by certain elected officials in Limerick.

And the scary thing is that there are a number of other elected officials who would have very similar mannerisms and backward thinking that get to influence what happens in this city.

Well done John Gilligan, you just showed yourself up as exactly the kind of elected official that this city and country can do without.

Embarrassing to think that he was the mayor of Limerick and representing the city to outside investors and the like.

He verbally abused the dance crew and accused them of vadalism, maybe he should go and report the "crimes" he witnessed and was happy to make accusations about. If he had a shred of decency he would step down, but the gravy train is far too good for that to happen.

I dont know anything about Gilligan, but I dont see anything in the video to warrant him resigning

He thought they were abusing the statue. He got the wrong end of the stick. Big deal

And I dont think there is anything backward with him trying to defend public property. He was a bit pompous about it but at least he had the bottle to face them on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

They were dressed like a bunch of scumbags from what I can see in the video in their wife beaters that's what I would think if I just saw them. But because I know a few of them I obviously know they are not. Totally out of line from gilligan in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

I genuinely can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic.
    Both!
    How could you possibly give him the benefit of the doubt after watching his behaviour in that video?
    I viewed it twice and I found the sound to pretty poor.

To be honest, I can see where Gilligan’s anger is coming from, in that the council has been painstakingly trying to improve the city’s environment only often enough to see it been undone by vandalism, tagging etc.

Therefore he might have just simply misjudged the situation by blowing his top when he confronted those two adults in the video-clip?

D1stant wrote: »
    I dont know anything about Gilligan, but I dont see anything in the video to warrant him resigning

He thought they were abusing the statue. He got the wrong end of the stick. Big deal

And I dont think there is anything backward with him trying to defend public property. He was a bit pompous about it but at least he had the bottle to face them on it.

If that is how you see it, then fair enough. I think he was out of line with his false accusations and that what he said smacked of double standards based on claims/statements he has made to the media in the past.

I still think it is a bit strange that he has never made any comment in the past in relation to people involved with events leaning on or sitting on any other statues in Limerick if he is so worried about public property. Afterall he is a man who was always been quick to run to one of the local papers or radio station when he had something to say.

I also don't think the way he spoke to other people, even after it was explained to him what was going on is the way someone in his position should speak to people. He was quick to try and intimidate by mentioning he was a councillor yet all he managed to do was sound like an uneducated blow hard used to bullying folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

The dancers did alot for this town aswell.. they are always out promoting Limerick as much as the next man and some of them were not from here originally.

Id much rather look at some top class dancers do there thing than an auld statue put there by the photo op council we have here in limerick. I read through the dockers monument committee website and nowhere did it mention JG.

I know that my ideal Limerick is not going to suit the next guy. But i hate these dudes that walk around dressed like my grandfather did in 1981 trying to push their way of life on everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Just watched the whole thing to see what the fuss was, a lot of ye are losing the run of yereselves completely. The only "kids" involved were the ones making snide remarks constantly in the background, he didn't act in an aggressive manner to any kids, all I saw was two grown muscular men, the first guy was fine and respectful, the second guy who came in with the English accent was extremely aggressive and acted the total bollocks, I missed the part where Gilligan said it was "my statue", could someone say where on the clip it is, he consistently said it was belong to the people of Limerick which is fair enough. He kept his cool throughout while he was being abused all round. Those who are suggesting he should resign are living in cloud cuckoo land, just any excuse to moan about our politicians.
    Don't bother making snidey comments until you have watched it in its entirety,
    FAIR PLAY TO HIM is what i say, I wish all our councillors had that passion for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Just watched the whole thing to see what the fuss was, a lot of ye are losing the run of yereselves completely. The only "kids" involved were the ones making snide remarks constantly in the background, he didn't act in an aggressive manner to any kids, all I saw was two grown muscular men, the first guy was fine and respectful, the second guy who came in with the English accent was extremely aggressive and acted the total bollocks, I missed the part where Gilligan said it was "my statue", could someone say where on the clip it is, he consistently said it was belong to the people of Limerick which is fair enough. He kept his cool throughout while he was being abused all round. Those who are suggesting he should resign are living in cloud cuckoo land, just any excuse to moan about our politicians.
    FAIR PLAY TO HIM is what i say, I wish all our councillors had that passion for anything.

Exactly. He saw some fools in wife beaters, jumping and swinging off a statue that he and other people in Limerick worked hard to raise money for to commerate the dead dockers of Limerick. It's no wonder he may have over-reacted initially. If they were filming the whole thing why didn't they include the clips of what exactly they were doing on the statue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

And FAIR PLAY TO YOU! You urge people to watch the video in its entirety yet you dont yourself and decide then to judge other posters! Typical Gilligan attitude. :rolleyes:

Advertisement