Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Actually happened to tune in for that particular segment and they gave the most half-hearted disclaimer beforehand to the point where my mate was in tears laughing. It's obviously procedure and required for all betting-related discussion/advertisement but it makes Off the Ball look like such hypocrites with there better than thou approach.

However the Second Captains lads coverage of horse-racing back in the day was nearly entirely betting related too.

So much sport is intertwined with gambling now.
    Wonder in ten years will it be the same or will it go the way if tobacco sponsorship in motor sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,591 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Actually happened to tune in for that particular segment and they gave the most half-hearted disclaimer beforehand to the point where my mate was in tears laughing. It's obviously procedure and required for all betting-related discussion/advertisement but it makes Off the Ball look like such hypocrites with there better than thou approach.

However the Second Captains lads coverage of horse-racing back in the day was nearly entirely betting related too.

That's because horse racing exists solely for the purpose of betting.

Actual sports can exist perfectly fine with literally zero input from these parasites.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    That's because horse racing exists solely for the purpose of betting.

Actual sports can exist perfectly fine with literally zero input from these parasites.

I’m not anti betting myself but I think you are dead right on both counts there.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Another rugby roadshow tonight. A coup to get Paul o Connell and I know Drico helps to get these guys on board (or maybe Alan Quinlan worked his magic for this due to working in newstalk?) But im pig sick of O Driscoll being on every single one of these roadshows now. The guy ain't funny. He has something in common there with the wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭viboy

Roadshows in general are absolute muck. I simply can't take the pointless "banter" that dominates these. Case in point yesterday some inane drivel about buying a coffee and not being recognized seemed to go on for an age.

More of the same tonight as far as I can tell.

Between the C-team (Andrews, Ward) on Tuesday and yesterdays roadshow repeat it's been a bad week for Off the Ball as far as I'm concerned.

Another rugby roadshow tonight. A coup to get Paul o Connell and I know Drico helps to get these guys on board (or maybe Alan Quinlan worked his magic for this due to working in newstalk?) But im pig sick of O Driscoll being on every single one of these roadshows now. The guy ain't funny. He has something in common there with the wife.

• Advertisement

viboy wrote: »
    Roadshows in general are absolute muck. I simply can't take the pointless "banter" that dominates these. Case in point yesterday some inane drivel about buying a coffee and not being recognized seemed to go on for an age.

More of the same tonight as far as I can tell.

Between the C-team (Andrews, Ward) on Tuesday and yesterdays roadshow repeat it's been a bad week for Off the Ball as far as I'm concerned.

Has anyone here ever been to one? There have been so many of them that at this stage there must be people who have gone to multiple ones.

I dislike them and don't tune in to them when they are on. If they took the same people and put them in the studio and let them talk I'd listen but when they are trying to be entertainers first and pundits second it doesn't work in my view.

I did hear Gary Neville on a Second Captains roadshow and that was interesting as he is worth listening to and he had a bit of a pop at ken Early so that put a bit of a vibe around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭howareyakid

Has anyone here ever been to one? There have been so many of them that at this stage there must be people who have gone to multiple ones.

I dislike them and don't tune in to them when they are on. If they took the same people and put them in the studio and let them talk I'd listen but when they are trying to be entertainers first and pundits second it doesn't work in my view.

I did hear Gary Neville on a Second Captains roadshow and that was interesting as he is worth listening to and he had a bit of a pop at ken Early so that put a bit of a vibe around it.

That Gary Neville podcast was brilliant but I think being in a roadshow capacity was a contributing factor. He is a funny guy and his back and forth with Ken Early was very humourous but it wouldn't have been the same if it wasn't in front of a live audience. I think there is a place for roadshows. There can be good banter when they get the right combinations of people but there can be very frank discussions also.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That Gary Neville podcast was brilliant but I think being in a roadshow capacity was a contributing factor. He is a funny guy and his back and forth with Ken Early was very humourous but it wouldn't have been the same if it wasn't in front of a live audience. I think there is a place for roadshows. There can be good banter when they get the right combinations of people but there can be very frank discussions also.

You must have seen Valencia under him!

They were a comedy act.

NIMAN wrote: »
    You must have seen Valencia under him!

They were a comedy act.

There’s no denying his foray into management was disasterous but he is still one of the best pundits around in my opinion and he can be witty at times. That’s all!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There’s no denying his foray into management was disasterous but he is still one of the best pundits around in my opinion and he can be witty at times. That’s all!

I'd actually agree with you, although he isn't up against much.

The vast majority of pundits on Irish and British TV are shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I can't listen to him at all. I've tried to get tickets for near every SC show, that was the only one I managed and I didn't use them when I seen it was Neville.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Just on that point about roadshows being good with the right guests, there was one a few years ago with Ray Parlour, Robbie Fowler and I think Andy Cole. Can't remember much about Cole but Parlour had some great stories. A funny guy. I've great time for him since.

Just on that point about roadshows being good with the right guests, there was one a few years ago with Ray Parlour, Robbie Fowler and I think Andy Cole. Can't remember much about Cole but Parlour had some great stories. A funny guy. I've great time for him since.

I remember listening to that roadshow - Parlour was excellent. If memory serves me correct he had some great stories about the early days of Wenger and the infamous “Tuesday Club” etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

Kimmage is such a tremendous pain in the hole. Acting like a disappointed school teacher last night scolding Joe about all the things he should have said during the rugby roadshow.

He is obsessed with drugs in rugby but it has been covered to the death this past year. I don't think there was too much appetite to listen to O'Connell sidestep questions about it.

deisedude wrote: »
    Kimmage is such a tremendous pain in the hole. Acting like a disappointed school teacher last night scolding Joe about all the things he should have said during the rugby roadshow.

He is obsessed with drugs in rugby but it has been covered to the death this past year. I don't think there was too much appetite to listen to O'Connell sidestep questions about it.

We need people like Kimmage. No ignore it is to tacitly accept it. Then it is a slippery slope to like the NFL where a doping violation can mean a 2 or 4 game suspension or South Africa where unqualified parents are injecting drugs in to their own children.

I for one, would be ok if all performances were less than what they were in the past but we knew that they were clean. We will never get to that point but I wish more were as upfront on the topic as Paul is. If they were, he wouldn't have to be so grumpy all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Ewan McKenna making a show of himself this morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Ewan McKenna making a show of himself this morning.

What did he do?

What did he do?

Tried to keep a lid on the hype ahead of Rugby world cup.
    He has a point. We've been here before ahead of world cups with "golden generation".

It was 3 against 1 on the show. Entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

He has a point. We've been here before ahead of world cups with "golden generation".

He was just spouting crap, going against the grain for the sake of it almost and saying the game on Saturday was just a friendly.

He was just spouting crap, going against the grain for the sake of it almost and saying the game on Saturday was just a friendly.

I think the game on Saturday amounted to more than a "friendly" but he's right in that it was not part of a competition.

I think he was also right in that England, South Africa, Australia and NZ are mostly fine with where they are in their cycle. I don't think it is reasonable to suggest Ireland are going to improve from where they are right now as much as the other teams are going to. I think NZ are pretty Ok with having lost Saturday. It's a wake up call. They weren't embarrassed. It was to the 2nd team in the world. They didn't lose any competition as a result of it. That's why Hansen suggested Ireland are #1 now and WC favourites, to take the pressure of his team.

One thing I enjoyed about the piece and think is a similarity between Ewan and Paul Kimmage is that both of them are comfortable with going against public opinion. Ewan spent nearly an hour against 3 people very strongly disagreeing with him and he didn't bat an eyelid. And he had his points to support his argument. Agree or disagree with them, think you have to respect that willingness to take such an approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

He's exactly right, we've ended up with egg on our face on countless occasions.

Our rugby team remind me of the old English soccer team at times with the hype and bluster.

It all means nothing until next Autumn. The way the pools are structured, baring upsets we're going to play either NZ or South Africa in the QF's. There's a decent chance that we will once again fall at this hurdle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

I think the game on Saturday amounted to more than a "friendly" but he's right in that it was not part of a competition.

I think he was also right in that England, South Africa, Australia and NZ are mostly fine with where they are in their cycle. I don't think it is reasonable to suggest Ireland are going to improve from where they are right now as much as the other teams are going to. I think NZ are pretty Ok with having lost Saturday. It's a wake up call. They weren't embarrassed. It was to the 2nd team in the world. They didn't lose any competition as a result of it. That's why Hansen suggested Ireland are #1 now and WC favourites, to take the pressure of his team.

One thing I enjoyed about the piece and think is a similarity between Ewan and Paul Kimmage is that both of them are comfortable with going against public opinion. Ewan spent nearly an hour against 3 people very strongly disagreeing with him and he didn't bat an eyelid. And he had his points to support his argument. Agree or disagree with them, think you have to respect that willingness to take such an approach.

About the piece, is Gilroy normally that aggressive/confrontational? (I'm not sure of the best way to describe the way he came across to be honest? It's the first time I watched Off The Ball rather than listened, so maybe he's like that all the time and it doesn't come across over the airwaves?

Is he as host expected to be impartial, not saying he is, just wondering?

About the piece, is Gilroy normally that aggressive/confrontational? (I'm not sure of the best way to describe the way he came across to be honest? It's the first time I watched Off The Ball rather than listened, so maybe he's like that all the time and it doesn't come across over the airwaves?

Is he as host expected to be impartial, not saying he is, just wondering?

Depends on who you ask? ;)

He often has a clear opinion and brings that in to his questioning. I enjoy that because I think it leads to more interesting interviews. I don't see why the host should have to be entirely impartial as long as alternate views are explored. Don't think he's any different in this respect to the likes of Second Captains, Eamon Dunphy etc.

I expect others will tell you that he wants it to be all about him and he shouts over his guests and is only interested in getting his voice heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,349 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

He's exactly right, we've ended up with egg on our face on countless occasions.

Our rugby team remind me of the old English soccer team at times with the hype and bluster.

It all means nothing until next Autumn. The way the pools are structured, baring upsets we're going to play either NZ or South Africa in the QF's. There's a decent chance that we will once again fall at this hurdle.

If I had known that Ewan McKenna was saying this about the rugby I might have listened.
    It was the first thing I said after the win it is no good if they do not do it in the WC.
    For the last 20 years they always made a balls of it in the WC loosing to teams they should be beating, or worse embarrassing themselves against rank outsiders.
    They definitely did not over-achieve anyway or even match expectations.
    What program/time was it on? Or what podcast?
    I should listen to it to see if he said anything I was mouthing about for the last few days.
    I suppose part of me is delighted he is not giving out about Dublin GAA funding anymore!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

They definitely did not over-achieve anyway or even match expectations.
    What program/time was it on? Or what podcast?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeVWCkis_ak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Well said. We badly need journalists of their ilk. In GAA terms, I think Wooly is a bit like them, outspoken and not afraid to go against the grain. Too many journalists these days exist in an echo chamber, spinning a narrative to suit the public opinion. Contrarians like Ewan and Paul (and Wooly to a lesser extent) can be a breath of fresh air in this PC era.

Well said. We badly need journalists of their ilk. In GAA terms, I think Wooly is a bit like them, outspoken and not afraid to go against the grain. Too many journalists these days exist in an echo chamber, spinning a narrative to suit the public opinion. Contrarians like Ewan and Paul (and Wooly to a lesser extent) can be a breath of fresh air in this PC era.

Looking at MacKenna's Twitter and even the comments under the Youtube link above, it's amazing how intolerant people of an alternative viewpoint. The attitude among many is that this person has a different opinion to mine and is therefore thinking wrongly and shame on <insert medium here> for giving his opinions airtime

• Registered Users Posts: 24,564 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

He wasn't really. He didn't take anything away from the effort or the performance.

But its not a match that had anything at stake. It wasn't a friendly, though his use of 'friendly' was because there was nothing really riding on it.

The hype machine went into overdrive and while I have no issue with excitement that we might just be in a position to compete at the business end of the World Cup next year, some of the fawning was cringeworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I used to never like McKenna because of his constant campaigning against Dublin GAA but the more you listen to him and read his work, it's very hard not to find him interesting and a very good journalist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Patww79 wrote: »
    I used to never like McKenna because of his constant campaigning against Dublin GAA but the more you listen to him and read his work, it's very hard not to find him interesting and a very good journalist.
    Ha, he does go on a lot about Dublin GAA at times, but again he has a lot of facts to back up his arguments. I also think he has got the best interests of the sport at heart, and is not just saying things to be controversial.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement