Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phil Hogan and Parish Pump politics [MERGED WITH MOD WARNING]

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

The family were interviewed by TV3 and the interview was broadcast on the Vincent Browne show last night, it can be seen on the TV3 website. In the interview the father eventually admitted that he'd been in trouble with the law before but didn't see how that should affect how his neighbours perceived him.

Also on a tangential point but one which I noticed in the interview was that the family seemed to think that not only were they entitled for a house to be provided by the local authority but that when their children grew up that their children should automatically be entitled to a house also, I thought that was a bit much.

I'd be pretty horrified if a family of travellers moved in near where I lived but... Phil Hogan (or his office, whatever) was still wrong to get involved in this issue in an official capacity.

Thats the most insightful post in this whole merry-go-round of a thread.

Patrick Carthy clearly makes reference to the fact that he's never done any harm to the people 'around here' on a couple of occasions(36mins30secs onwards in the clip). He stresses 'around here'.
    He also goes on to mention that what happened in the past should'nt be held against him now as that punishes his kids and discriminates against them!!!!!- some serious logic there.
    His wife talk's hypothetically about how if she or the husband caused damage/trouble in an area, will that make it hard for the myriad of their kids (and more to come I'm sure) to get houses free from the taxpayer when they grow up...."we're entitled to live in a house" she says...of course you are, buy one

the whole attitude just defies logic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

Phil Hogan was wrong to get involved, or at least his constituents were wrong to go to a national legislator and minister with their concerns over this housing issue - it is yet another example of a TD trying to interfere in local issues. But regardless of the 'system' he should have had more cop on and tact. He should be considering his position.

I don't believe it is that the family are travellers that was the cause of local concern, I think it was related to behaviour rather than ethnicity.

From earlier this year
    Micheal Carty siad that he would be unwilling to give up their horses in exchange for housing. “We’ve been settled been settled for years and the horses are the only tie we have left to traveller culture,” said Micheal Carty. As Micheal Carty’s children get older his needs are also changing. One of his children got married last year and he’d not sure that the house the council will give him will suit his needs anymore, but he is realistic, “There are a lot of things we would want but the main thing is a house and a place for our horses,” said Mr Micheal Carty

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/local/appalling-conditions-in-st-catherine-s-halting-site-1-3523646

I would certainly object to horses being moved into a residential estate and kept in totally inappropriate conditions. being a traveller shouldn't be a protection against any and all criticism of ones behaviour, whether it be previous anti-social issues or animal welfare issues. Mr. McCarthy was asked in a radio interview about anti-social behaviour - 'It's not as if you have a let of horses running around the garden', the interviewer asked. The reply was "Not at all, I only have the two." We need licences for dogs, its about time we got serious about horse ownership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

The family were interviewed by TV3 and the interview was broadcast on the Vincent Browne show last night, it can be seen on the TV3 website. In the interview the father eventually admitted that he'd been in trouble with the law before but didn't see how that should affect how his neighbours perceived him.

Also on a tangential point but one which I noticed in the interview was that the family seemed to think that not only were they entitled for a house to be provided by the local authority but that when their children grew up that their children should automatically be entitled to a house also, I thought that was a bit much.

I'd be pretty horrified if a family of travellers moved in near where I lived but... Phil Hogan (or his office, whatever) was still wrong to get involved in this issue in an official capacity.

I'm the same i wouldn't want them moving in beside me.

I have no respect for their culture of moving about the place in caravans, running horses, fighting, rarely working in steady jobs etc. I'd rather see them permanently settle and try and get jobs and live a normal anti-social free existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

I would agree that in my experience many travellers live outside the laws of this country.

I too would have grave reservations about any family with a history of law breaking moving into my neighourhood - life is hard enough and support is thin on the ground when people are confronted with anti social behaviour, so I wouldn't want to take the risk unless I had some pretty strong assurances that I had some right to recourse.

however

Phil Hogans behaviour as a national legislator with regard to this family was utterly disgraceful. He should have been sacked if he is so unaware of the fundemental rights of our own Constitution, not to mention to mention the charter of Human Rights we have signed up to.

Travellers who act like outlaws need to be dealt with - Phil Hogan needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭McNulty737

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/traveller-in-phil-hogan-row-was-convicted-of-stealing-cash-3249451.html

I saw the Vincent Browne show where Vincent was screaming at a guest for being 'racist' (i thought travellers were irish, no?)

I would be extremely annoyed if I had PAID for a house in a certain area, only to find out travellers who are 'entitled' to a free house next door were moving in and bringing their horses with them. It is not 'discrimination', the fact is that travellers are heavily associated with criminal and anti social behaviour for a reason. That's not being 'racist' or 'prejudiced', its being realistic and I would love for a group of travellers to be housed beside a politically correct idealistic lefty idiot like Vincent Brown....lets see if he changes his tune when that (never) happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

McNulty737 wrote: »
    I saw the Vincent Browne show where Vincent was screaming at a guest for being 'racist' (i thought travellers were irish, no?)

You do know 'Irish' isn't a race?

*facepalm*

Errr....yes I am aware of that, what is your point?

If a non Irish person made a comment such as "all Irish are potato eating Neanderthals", would that not be considered "racist", regardless of whether or not Irish is a "race"?

My question is why is associating anti social behaviour with a group of Irish people (travellers) considered "racist"? I can understand why it could be considered "prejudiced", but not racist.

Are travellers considered an ethnic group, and therefore criticism of them can be defined as racist? If so can someone explain to me a bit about their culture apart from living in caravans, bare knuckle boxing and racing horses down motorways?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Errr....yes I am aware of that, what is your point?

If a non Irish person made a comment such as "all Irish are potato eating Neanderthals", would that not be considered "racist", regardless of whether or not Irish is a "race"?
    My question is why is associating anti social behaviour with a group of Irish people (travellers) considered "racist"? I can understand why it could be considered "prejudiced", but not racist.

Not only have you answered your own question.

And I would worry that you might be a bigot... :(

Fine you can call me a bigot, but im actually being serious - tell me about their culture?

• Advertisement

Well?

So we label them an ethnic group and give them a free pass by labelling anyone who associates them with anti social behaviour as 'bigots' is it?

And now that it comes to light that the family in question does have a history of criminal activity, how would you feel if you found out that travellers were moving in next door to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Travellers are not considered an ethnic group by law. They are considered only to be a community.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Annabella1

If a convicted criminal of multiple crimes was due to be housed next to me, I would be on be on to my local elected representatives to stop it...Who wouldnt??

Advertisement