Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greyhound Waste €10 credit with €49 top up payment Dublin City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

ninty wrote: »
    Maybe only for Dublin South? link

They like making it easy dont they??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I rang them this morning to clarify one thing on the weight - up to 25kg in the black bin is covered by the lift charge, then 33c per kilo *in excess* of 25kg (so if you put out 30kg of rubbish, that's €0.33*5 on top of the lift charge. It's not explicit in the letter I got (the wording could be interpreted as 33c per kilo for the whole load if you put put more than 25) but (thankfully) that isn't the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Must ring them and see.

Currently, I don't put out a bin every week (be it green/black). It could be one every two months and i'd either bin well packed at that point.

So idk if it's worth paying per lift or annually now :/

kaimera wrote: »
    Must ring them and see.

Currently, I don't put out a bin every week (be it green/black). It could be one every two months and i'd either bin well packed at that point.

So idk if it's worth paying per lift or annually now :/

Thorntons offers might suit you if they can provide you with a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Any easy way to work out if your better to go with Pay per Lift or Pay by Weight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Left greyhound last year as soon as they were putting up the prices in SDCC.
    Now with citybin (don't know if they collect everywhere) happy with them; pay by DD so no account to top-up. Lower yearly and lift charges than greyhound.
    Also greyhound like to pretend an average bin lift is around 25kg -to get you to pay per kg and not per lift- but mine has never been less than 50kg this is specified on my bill, even though I pay per lift.
    I do only put bin out if full, baby in household so loads of nappies.
    Shop around I'd say, this offer is only on to get you to stay with them another year...
    http://www.moneyguideireland.com/cheapest-dublin-bin-collection-charges.html
    Edit- Looking at the link seems some prices are outdated, better check latest with individual companies...

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Any easy way to work out if your better to go with Pay per Lift or Pay by Weight?

I think if the 160 euro (from greyhound) deal for no weight limits and no limit on the number of bin lifts, is available in your area then this is probably the best deal if your bin can be heavy. Otherwise the Thornton offer is good if you only put your bin out every 6 weeks or more as there's no weight limit on that offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I'm in Dublin 4, and Plan 3 is €250, not €175:

greyhound_dublin4_zpsb46752a4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Living in Dublin 4 you pay more for everything - not fair but then this country is not fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I got the one in D5 (albeit it was addressed to a previous tenant)

Same as cookies pic above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My mother got a letter today in Dublin 7
    Shes an OAP and gets a waiver on the annual charge.

She was given 3 plans
    Plan 1 - pay per lift . Service charge €49.95 pa black bin €4.90 per lift brown 3.50 per lift

The fine print - black bins over 25kg are charged at .33 c kg, brown bins over 20kg charged at .24c kg

Plan 2 - pay per month - €29 per month +2nd black bin

Plan 3 - pay per weight- Service charge €49.95 pa black .26c kg brown .19c kg

If she tops up before the end of the month by €49 she gets an extra €20.
    In November she gets €10

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sedric

It's going to get worse,
    Greyhound are now changing the charging to include weight.
    They are also making a big deal of an annual charge reduction but actually increasing the lift charges by over 50 %.
    On top of that in plan 1 they will apparently charge extra for every kg above 20 kg.

Welcome to the world of effecient privatised waste disposal.

Also note if you call them , it's 1890 hence you get charged by the minute while waiting for an answer which , as they are constantly busy will be over 10 minutes. Then when I was answered, they took my number to call me back.!! with no help on the issue itself..wow!!

Thats bizarre , I got a letter with bin lift charges at 6.50 and 3.60 brown and an annual charge of 59.95

they have a call from abroad local number on their site.

If you are with Greyhound they are reporting on weight per lift on your account.

sedric wrote: »
    If you are with Greyhound they are reporting on weight per lift on your account.
    we had 3 lifts in 20reported on.

Well the annual fixed plan has no weight restrictions but yes the other plans do apply charges over a certain weight. I'm actually happy enough with the 160euro plan for the year but I was about to move to thorntons if it wasn't available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Does anyone know why the fixed charge varied from post code to post code? Anyone challenge them on this yet? I'd pay 160 in Dublin 7 but they want the higher amount. Ridiculous!

So from reading online they have been weighing the bins and extrapolating a figure from our previous usage. This might seem fair but our kid will be out of nappies soon which would account for at least a 30% reduction in our waste!

My story is I got a letter addressed to the wrong person but to my address. The name on the letter is not anyone on my street so I went and contacted greyhound about the annual fixed plan for the year priced (according to the letter) at 175 (with 15 euro refund in December 2012). I first asked could I use the "get 10 euro free with every 49 euro top up" to go towards the charge at which point they said yes but the charge was 250 for the year. I said my letter said different and they responded "ok sorry yes 175". So I added the extra top ups to get the bonus credit so I had enough in the account to pay off the 175. I then rang back to have the 175 fee applied to the account but they said again it was 250 and that I'd been told wrong in my earlier calls. They also said the letter was sent to the wrong address and that it was priced for a different area and that my area cost 250 for the annual fixed plan.

I said that's fine but unfortunate and that if I couldn't get it for what I was told by phone and by letter that I'd have to ask for a refund of the money I paid in (excluding the bonus credit) so I could join Thorntons. They went to speak to their supervisor and rang me back later to offer me the fixed plan at the 175 rate (rather than the rate for my area of 250). So I'm happy but yes, feeling lucky.

The reason for the different rates is possibly due to the road networks in the area and the expected use of fuel etc... This is only a guess so I could be wrong as they have not explained the variety of fees available to different locations.

PS the post is considerably shorter then the time it took to sort this all out with greyhound!

• Advertisement

I've called them and asked for the reduced price, am waiting to hear back.

sweetie wrote: »
    I've called them and asked for the reduced price, am waiting to hear back.

let me know how you get on. also in d7 and wasn't offered an annual rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I emailed about the plan 3 price differences, will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭yelselseivad

My Plan 2 is €29 per month and Plan 3 is €330 a year because I have 2 black bins

Isn't it odd that Greyhound don't put their super new price plans on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 top40

South Dublin, Tallaght

I was also offered 4 plans by greyhound:
    1. 60 euros+pay by weight
    2. 29 euros a month
    3. 60 euros+pay by lift(more than 25kg is charged by weight)
    4. 330 euros a year

On talking to them this morning, they tried there best to suggest that the €29 a month plan was the best for me. We only paid €160 in total last year. SO I THINK NOT...

Nappies are gone for us now, so will be shopping around. Talked to 3 people in greyhound this morning, last guy made me feel like a little ****

top40 wrote: »
    South Dublin, Tallaght

I was also offered 4 plans by greyhound:
    1. 60 euros+pay by weight
    2. 29 euros a month
    3. 60 euros+pay by lift(more than 25kg is charged by weight)
    4. 330 euros a year

On talking to them this morning, they tried there best to suggest that the €29 a month plan was the best for me. We only paid €160 in total last year. SO I THINK NOT...

Nappies are gone for us now, so will be shopping around. Talked to 3 people in greyhound this morning, last guy made me feel like a little ****

There is some massive disparities between the charges for different areas. More then I can equate to petrol usage or collection times. I'd love if someone in the media really queried the charges on offer. Annual plan can cost either 175, 250 or 330 all in a radius of about 20miles (or less really)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

cookie1977 wrote: »
    There is some massive disparities between the charges for different areas. More then I can equate to petrol usage or collection times. I'd love if someone in the media really queried the charges on offer. Annual plan can cost either 175, 250 or 330 all in a radius of about 20miles (or less really)

Unless maybe it's not just by area? Maybe they're based on previous usage? Or a combination of both? Unlikely, but ...

Also, am I right in thinking that for most of the north city (e.g. D5) there's no option to Greyhound? Haven't found one yet anyway

MOH wrote: »
    Unless maybe it's not just by area? Maybe they're based on previous usage? Or a combination of both? Unlikely, but ...

Also, am I right in thinking that for most of the north city (e.g. D5) there's no option to Greyhound? Haven't found one yet anyway

It is priced by area but why such huge differences and what defines the area?

Not sure about D5 services

• Advertisement

MOH wrote: »

try oxygen

Advertisement