Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to concerts by yourself

Options
  • 25-09-2012 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hey I don't know if this is the right forum to put this in but I just wanted to put this question out there and see what sort of response I get if any.

I just wanted to know if there is anyone on this who has ever gone to a concert/gig by themselves or have you ever offered to pay for a friend to come along to a concert with you? Lately there have been a good few concerts being announced that I would really love to go to but my mates that I ask to come with me either can't afford to go or else they are just not interested in going as it is not their type of music. I am currently single so I don't have a boyfriend that I could even drag along with me. I have gotten to the point where Im getting tired of constantly asking people and just getting no as an answer that Im thinking well I really wanna go so should I just go by myself.

Your thoughts or views on this would be much appreciated, thanks :)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I have gone to things by myself in the past but mostly theatre to be honest. It does take a little getting used to but nobody else really pays any heed. No one will be looking at you. If you are the kind of person who can go off for lunch by yourself or order a drink in a pub while waiting for a friend (rather than meeting them at the door), then you'll be grand. I sometimes find the interval at the theatre (if there is one) to be a bit awkward but feck it, if 15 minutes of awkward means I get to see something I want to see rather than sitting at home alone, then so be it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Go on your own, once the band starts you wont care, I've never let being alone stop me from doing things, cinema, holidays, gigs, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I've gone to scores of gigs on my own, mostly for the same reasons as yourself - friends all have duff taste in music.

There is a "meet up" group for people who want to find like minded gig going companions. Google "gigonometry".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭cena

I go to concerts on my own even the cinema. I like my own company at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Definitely go by yourself. I had never been to a gig by myself til I got a last minute ticket to a sold-out gig, they were my favourite band and no one I knew could get tickets but I couldn't not go because of that.

The waiting time between the support act and main band was a bit more boring than usual without friends (you could always skip the support act(s) if you were worried about this), but other than that there's not much difference.

I had a great time and would definitely do the same again if I had to!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Do it once anyway to see if it's for you... what harm will it do? Worst case scenario you realise it's not for you and you can stop wondering, best case scenario you have a great time and know you're comfortable enough to go alone :)

I haven't gone to concerts alone, but I have gone away on my own and done other activities on my own while there. The things that are a little annoying are if you need to go to the toilet you don't have a friend to watch your things while you're gone; I'd always bring my bag and jacket with me to be safe (and obviously never leave a drink out of your sight!). But it's definintely better than missing out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Hey kookie,

No reason why you shouldn't go somewhere by yourself but if you'd prefer company, you could always post up whatever concert/gig you are going to in tLL private forum (see HERE for entry) and see if anyone else is in the same boat? Alternatively the Gig/Event forum sometimes has a relevant thread by those going to attend...

All the best. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭kookie

Wow Im amazed at the response I didn't think I'd get this many replies thanks a millions peep it's great to hear other peoples thoughts on this. I think I will go ahead and give it a go and see what it's like, as some of you say it is better than not going at all and missing it completely especially if it's a band or musician that you really wanna see. I have actually travelled by myself before so Im sure I am well capable of going to a concert by myself :-)

Everlong1 I am definitely going to check out that Gigonometry on Google, thanks

Thanks again guys

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Been to a few on my own, the best was the Tragically Hip back in 2010 in the Tripod and Billy Bragg back in 2008/2009. Not many on my own since. I don't mind it if it's a small kind of intimate gig but I am not mad into thousands of people crowding around me.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I went to see Rush at the O2 last year by myself - was kinda funny, I was about 20 years younger than most of the other people with standing tickets. Ended up talking to loads of people before the gig and slowly being pushed forward during the gig in such a way that I ended up roughly 2 away from the front by the end of the gig. Pretty sweet being able to get that close :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I refuse to go to gigs with my friends. However, I have a circle of friends I have met through Elton John gigs and I'd go with them or meet up with the early. They'd be like me, wanting to get in early and the excitement is always contagious among us!

Otherwise, I won't go with other people. I brought a friend to Bruce Springsteen with me once. Never, ever again. She was pure torture for the whole day.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I'd say go for it! I've brought friends/family to concerts with me before and they haven't really been into the band in question. I spent half the night worrying that they were having a crap night. When you're by yourself you can let your hair down and just enjoy the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Definitely go by yourself. I won tickets to see one of my favourite acts earlier in the summer, and I couldn't find anybody to go with me at such short notice. I ended up giving the tickets away for free in the gig forum. Next day I was on Facebook and the musician in question announced it was one of her most enjoyable gigs!! I was raging with myself!

So for again.. I'm definitely not passing up a gig just because I can't find a gig mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Nua

I've gone to gigs by myself due to having no one interested in coming with me or getting tickets last minute. Haven't been to a seated concert on my ownio but once the music starts, no one notices anyhow. I'll be checking out the Gigonometry site too - sounds great.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

I've never gone to a gig by myself but I ended up getting separated from my friends at Electric Picnic during Arcade Fire and it didn't matter, I had great fun alone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I've never gone alone but I have gotten split up from friends at gigs and thought I could definitely have gone to this on my own or even sometimes that I would have preferred to have gone on my own, like-minded people make for better company that someone who really doesnt enjoy the music and doesnt want to be there. So I definitely would go on my own or arrange to meet up with people I've never met before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 syjg18

I haven't tried it yet but my classmate did it. She enjoyed it. I think there's nothing wrong with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 eddiethornton

I went to see Michael Bolton a few years ago alone. Felt like a bit of a spa until he started playing then it was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Nyoms

I did it once when a friend cancelled at the last minute to see Kelly Jones in Vicar Street. I'm a big fan so I went along anyway but it was a sit down gig so it was a bit awkward me sitting there on my own at a table but I still enjoyed the gig. I've often become separated from friends at concerts so have spent some time on my own but I don't think I'd like to go to a gig on my own again, a big part of going to a concert is enjoying it with your friends for me. But if you really want to go to gigs and no one will go then why not, there are gig buddy sections on some fan sites so maybe look out for them and see if there's anyone in a similar situation to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I have purposely travelled to England on two occasions alone to go to concerts. It was really enjoyable though I would have loved some company, I didn't want to miss out on something i really wanted to go to. I am also single so couldn't drag along any OH, and my friends and family aren't really interested/have the money to come along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I don't think I've ever been to a big gig, as in one outside of a pub or small theatre space. :(

I did spend a lot of time over the summer going to midnight gigs on my own. It'd get to midnight, I'd be bored and not tired. There's a place in town that Mon/Tue/Wed has a live band starting at midnight. So I'd head down, grab myself a drink and stand at the back or sit at a table listening. To be honest I quite enjoyed it. It was nice listening to music without having to worry if friends were bored. Unfortunately the pub got a bit too busy and I didn't feel comfortable there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I've done it a couple of times. if there's no-one to go with, what the hell? not gonna miss a good band

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I've been to gigs, plays, matches and things on my own. To be honest my attitude is why should I miss out on something I really want to do/go to/see just because my friends/family dont want to come with me.
    And sometimes you enjoy the thing more on your own, rather than if you had forced someone to go with you and spent the whole night wondering if they were bored or enjoying it or whatever!
    So absolutely, go for it! and enjoy your own company. I am a big fan of "me time"!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kevs_dreams

Go girl! I've been single for months too and I wouldn't care if I don't have a boyfriend by my side as long as I do what I wanted to do. Not all of my friends like what my likes so If it isn't their trip well I just go on my own besides it doesn't matter who you with when show's started ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I've got no body to go with but what do I know? I'm just a skeleton! :pac:

Okay, serious answer: I don't see why I should miss out jkust because my friends/family/aquintences don't want to go. Besides, I pay for gig tickets out of my own pocket and like it or not, I refuse to say in the house and stare at the 4 walls all day.
    My mother in particular seems to think I will either be murdered/raped/kidnapped/stabbed/shot/etc on the way to the gig, crushed in a moshpit stampede, robbed or again, murdered/raped/stabbed/shot/etc on the way home. I try to reassure her by making sure my phone is charged and topped up, that I'll call when I arrive and leave and that I'll get a cab at a designated area if needed be.
    It's incredibly stifling but I know she means well. Even so, sometimes it would be nice if she could come with me. I really wanted to see Lionel Richie but aside from not being able to afford the tickets, she's the sort of person who would rather "wait for the dvd" than go see a movie at the cinema. *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

I go most places by myself; cinema, theatre, gigs. I don't have the patience to wait for other people to make up their mind about something. If I want to see a show, or a band, or whatever I'm going to buy a ticket and go. And if a friend (or friends) decide they want to come along, great stuff. If not, no worries!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

There was a gig in Dublin earlier this year that I was dying to go to... Couldn't get anyone to come with me so I ended up missing out.... :(
    It wasn't the fact of being at a concert by myself that stopped me, that wouldn't bother me as I loved the band, but the whole issue of leaving the concert afterwards and making my own way back to the bus alone put me off, so it was a safety thing. Still wish I had gone though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

I've been to a few gigs alone. It's grand - sometimes you even get chatting to folks that you probably would never meet if you'd been with a friend. I definitely recommend it - you can enjoy the gig without worrying about anyone else. No point in missing out because your mates are poor or have different tastes. Nobody even cares that you're alone like!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I haven't been to any on my own yet. I've started just buying two tickets and bringing someone along either friends or family . I've missed so many good concerts and decided I'd rather pay for two then miss an opportunity some don't do many tour. I would go alone but I would only get a standing ticket I wouldn't get a seated one. I can see myself going alone at some point .

Has anyone ever been travelling or on holiday alone? I've been thinking of it for a while thinking it would be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Smeggy wrote: »
    I've never gone to a gig by myself but I ended up getting separated from my friends at Electric Picnic during Arcade Fire and it didn't matter, I had great fun alone :)

Ditto. I went to Lady Gaga with friends, ended up getting lost when I went to the loo, saw them but I had made my way up towards the front so wasn't prepared to give up my spot :D Had a blast, I never would have gone to a gig by myself but I think having spent most of that one alone I would in future.

Advertisement