Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should something be done about fireworks?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Yes, make them bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I have no problems with fireworks used responsibly in a controlled environment - ie. one or two sober adults in charge in an open space

My problem starts when I have to seal down my letterbox in case little toerags do a number on my house with the same small explosives.

I used fireworks and small explosives in two separate paragraphs very deliberately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Category 2 and 3 fireworks should be legal and regulated, like in most other sensible countries and unlike so many things in Ireland in which the government just issue a blanket ban for a quiet life instead of actually putting in the effort to make proper regulations about it.

****ty parents: "ah leave it ouhhhh, let them have their bleedin fun"
    :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Fireworks are legal.
    You just need a license.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_offences/the_law_on_fireworks.html
    Can I organise a fireworks display at a special event such as a party?

Yes, but the fireworks must be licensed for import and only if a professional fireworks operator is used. If you want to import fireworks into Ireland you must apply for a licence or get a professional fireworks operator to apply, on your behalf, to the Department of Justice and Equality. Application forms are available (Word) from the Department and can be downloaded from the Department's website. The application must be made at least one month before the proposed event. The licence is free.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-19596089
    The 5 September blaze at a fireworks factory that claimed 38 lives was the worst in recent memory.

In some of the biggest factory fires, about 40 people died in 2009, 30 in 2001 and more than 60 in 1991. The list of casualties in smaller mishaps is much longer.

But more than 700,000 workers of Sivakasi have no other option but to depend on one of the most hazardous industries for their livelihood.

About 20-25 workers die each year in fire accidents in this industry which boasts of an estimated annual turnover of more than $365m (£225m).
    "In the last 12 months, before this accident, 22 workers lost their lives and 50 were injured," says Dr M Kathiresan, chief medical officer at the local government hospital.

The hospital has a shortage of staff and equipment and has no supply of morphine, the standard pain relief drug for burn victims

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I've been injured scuba-diving: Lets ban scuba-diving!
    I've been injured driving: Lets ban cars!
    I've been injured by a aquarium lid when i dropped it: lets ban aquariums!

Stupid suggestion OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Should make them legal but
    1. Must be 18+ to buy
    2. Only allowed to carry them if you have a purpose (ie. just bought them, taking them somewhere. not people sitting at a street corner with their pockets full) If caught have them taken away.
    3. If caught using them in a way not intended you are fined and faced being charged with attempted GBH or whatever.

In my school everyone had to walk down an avenue that could barely fit 2 cars passing in the mornings, lunch and afternoon so you would get people throwing them there. We were all packed close together and could only go in 1 of 2 directions. Halloween was filled with a charge of people running, most not even knowing where the firework was. Rarely the guards would be there but the next day it would be the same people doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

CruelCoin wrote: »
    I've been injured scuba-diving: Lets ban scuba-diving!
    I've been injured driving: Lets ban cars!
    I've been injured by a aquarium lid when i dropped it: lets ban aquariums!

Stupid suggestion OP.

Firstly they are already illegal the gards just wont enforce the law.

They are all different, none of them are often used as a wepon, and people have been killed by cars but you need to pass a test and be old enough to drive one, cars also have a useful function but fireworks are just for entertainment.

By your logic guns should be legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭nachocheese

Fireworks are great and should, if anything, be a lot more readily available down here.

It's the teenage cunts that get their hands on them that are the issue here. The usual knackers really, the products of uneducated, work shy households that are in themselves a very, very good argument in favour of readily available abortion.

Here's hoping we have a lovely, soaking wet October.

It's funny, in Ireland if a little knacker kid comes onto your property, throws a firework through your letterbox potentially scaring or hurting people inside while also damaging property, if you go out and kick the face off him YOU'RE the one who gets in trouble.

Every year areas have problems with knacker children and fireworks and yet nothing is ever done. Thankfully our area is very quiet in that regard, however a cat was put into a public bin nearby a few years ago and it was set on fire and I honestly don't think I could NOT kick the face off the kids if I saw them doing it...yet it'd be me being hauled off!

• Advertisement

Fireworks are great and should, if anything, be a lot more readily available down here.

It's the teenage cunts that get their hands on them that are the issue here. The usual knackers really, the products of uneducated, work shy households that are in themselves a very, very good argument in favour of readily available abortion.

Here's hoping we have a lovely, soaking wet October.

I'll repeat again, its not a small group of people a quick survey today in college indicates that 92% of 17-20 year olds have used fireworks at some point in their lives, and that was out of a Computer Science class, so it was mainly the nerdy kids.

GarIT wrote: »
    I'll repeat again, its not a small group of people a quick survey today in college indicates that 92% of 17-20 year olds have used fireworks at some point in their lives, and that was out of a Computer Science class, so it was mainly the nerdy kids.
    Using fireworks and abusing fireworks are two very separate things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Should make them legal but
    1. Must be 18+ to buy
    2. Only allowed to carry them if you have a purpose (ie. just bought them, taking them somewhere. not people sitting at a street corner with their pockets full) If caught have them taken away.
    3. If caught using them in a way not intended you are fined and faced being charged with attempted GBH or whatever.

To this I'd add that they're only permitted to be used on certain days ie Halloween, New Years Eve and maybe St Patrick's Day.

Using fireworks and abusing fireworks are two very separate things.

The thing is though they are illegal, while something is illegal it shouldnt be done at all. If something is illegal but you think it should be legal you don't just do it anyway, you try to have the law changed.

I know people who have had banger wars throwing bangers over a metal fence in a kids playground at eachother, thet have put fireworks in letterboxes, have put fireworks and bangers in dead animals, and none of these are bad people during the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

I was in a public toilet and had fireworks thrown at me at the time
    I'm sorry, that must have scared the sh1t out of you! Saying that though, if they didn't do it with fireworks they could have used anything else.
    Historically, why are fireworks banned? Is it incase we make a bomb out of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

Sorry for bumping this but is it normal to hear fireworks in the run up to St Patricks Day?I haven't heard any yet but people have been hearing them in parts of Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭CollardGreens

....next thing you know they will be wanting to ban semi-auto guns.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Sorry for bumping this but is it normal to hear fireworks in the run up to St Patricks Day?I haven't heard any yet but people have been hearing them in parts of Cork.

I think so, actually. I know on the day before St. Patricks I heard them.

I think so, actually. I know on the day before St. Patricks I heard them.

I suppose the little brats just look for any excuse nowadays.

Fireworks outside of halloween are becoming a lot more common.You normally wouldn't expect this in April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

IMO there should be fines and arrests, I've been injured by fireworks and I believe it wouldn't have happened if the gards did their job and dealt with it.

They obviously seize some fireworks anyway because I was in the glen of imaal one time when they were setting them all off safely disposing of them. It was great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Fireworks should be made legal as all those ejits who mess with dem get them anyways no matter wha so its not going to make a difference if there legal or not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭WOCM4

I really think the timers should be random.

Will teach some respect. Just like wen I wer a lad.

I trust Chinese explosives with my life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

WOCM4 wrote: »
    I really think the timers should be random.

Will teach some respect. Just like wen I wer a lad.

I trust Chinese explosives with my life.

There fireworks not microwaves, they use fuses not timers.

Advertisement