Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should something be done about fireworks?

Options
  • 23-09-2012 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭

Being a teenager every year I see people that get stopped by the gards while in possession of fireworks, they are taken off them and nothing ever happen, a lot of them aren't even asked for their names. Fireworks are illegal and I think its about time that we do something about it, IMO there should be fines and arrests, I've been injured by fireworks and I believe it wouldn't have happened if the gards did their job and dealt with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Don't be a dry balls, let them have their fun

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

But its illegal and people have been seriously hurt and occasionally killed, why should we just ignore the law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

YES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

something something Gardai should worry more about the banks something something something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I agree. All the injuries down to stupidity, and the cruelty to animals.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

GarIT wrote: »
    Being a teenager every year I see people that get stopped by the gards while in possession of fireworks, they are taken off them and nothing ever happen, a lot of them aren't even asked for their names. Fireworks are illegal and I think its about time that we do something about it, IMO there should be fines and arrests, I've been injured by fireworks and I believe it wouldn't have happened if the gards did their job and dealt with it.

Why the guards as a first line of blame?

Maybe if you took personal responsibility for your own actions and modified them so you would not get injured - this debate wouldn't need to take place at all and someone else also wouldn't get the blame?

Yea, lets pass the buck - its always someone elses fault!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Arrests? What is the actual punishment defined in law for possession of fireworks? Are we talking about personal use or dealing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Blame the guards for everything.

Blame the guards for everything.

Yep, they step in - its a nanny state!

They don't step in - its all their fault!

Some people are unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭kirving

I've been injured by lots of things, but that doesn't make them inherently dangerous.

Legalising fireworks, ensuring only quality fireworks are sold to responsible adults would sort 95% of the problems associated with them.

Instead of rational thought however, this country deals with many issues by banning the percieved cause of the problem.

• Advertisement

Stick a lit firework up the arse of anyone caught with them (then run). That'll learn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's a disgrace Joe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Organised supervised firework event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

All fireworks should be destroyed!

Gather them all up, pile them all together and set fire to them.

This should happen a few times a year.

I blame the Chinese.

Biggins wrote: »
    Why the guards as a first line of blame?

Maybe if you took personal responsibility for your own actions and modified them so you would not get injured - this debate wouldn't need to take place at all and someone else also wouldn't get the blame?

Yea, lets pass the buck - its always someone elses fault!

I was in a public toilet and had fireworks thrown at me at the time, theres nothing I could have done, but if there were people stopped at the border or arrests made of the people that actually have them things would be different. The government or the gards have to be to blame they are supposed to enforce the law.

Many people see them as just a bit of fun but in reality ther are explosives and they can be lethal.

I 100% support licenced and controlled fireworks displays by professionals and I've often gone to them but not the local idiot setting off fireworks in housing estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I'd rather just see actual useful punishments for the scumbags that use that as weapons/terrify people/animals with them.

I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with them being used. It's how they get used is the problem.
    And of course the insanely obvious thing of "ah your honour, he's on the dole/drugs/drink/bad home/general scumbag so let him go will ya" and they'll be out doing it again next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I have two dogs and dread halloween - they are terrified of fireworks, can attack furniture and woodwork if left alone and won't go out in the garden on their own.

The mindless cruelty inflicted on animals is heartbreaking too, I would love to see the same punishment inflicted on those who think it's hilarious to insert a firework in the rectum of an animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Guards should buy their own fireworks.

GarIT, what happened to you was horrible but those folks were scum/dikheads. Granted, they used fireworks. I doubt they always do this. I'm sure they usually use other more common items so that they can continue their quest of being low lifes.

• Advertisement

I'd rather just see actual useful punishments for the scumbags that use that as weapons/terrify people/animals with them.

I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with them being used. It's how they get used is the problem.
    And of course the insanely obvious thing of "ah your honour, he's on the dole/drugs/drink/bad home/general scumbag so let him go will ya" and they'll be out doing it again next year.

Unfortunately scumbags don't need fireworks to harm animals or other humans.

In the last month the 'Northside People' had one story of a cat shot a few times with a pellet gun and a dog who had his face burnt off with acid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

I was in a public toilet and had fireworks thrown at me at the time, theres nothing I could have done, but if there were people stopped at the border or arrests made of the people that actually have them things would be different. The government or the gards have to be to blame they are supposed to enforce the law.

Many people see them as just a bit of fun but in reality ther are explosives and they can be lethal.

I 100% support licenced and controlled fireworks displays by professionals and I've often gone to them but not the local idiot setting off fireworks in housing estates.

Sorry to hear of your injuries.

Lets be honest, the Gardi can't be everywhere, every time.
    A 24 hour, around the clock, all year Garda presence, lined by side by side across our border, is not going to stop fireworks either getting in or being used in the country.

Certainly in some cases there should be much heavier sentences where lives are effected.
    The Gardi can ONLY enforce the law which is on the books.
    A toolman is only as good as his tools.

Blame the right people and not the only that are called in later to try clean up the mess and catch the culprits!
    If you want change, pressure those that can make it happen - its not the Gardi but elected representatives which then give the Gardi of Ireland the tools (law and/or utilities) to do their job.

GarIT, what happened to you was horrible but those folks were scum/dikheads. Granted, they used fireworks. I doubt they always do this. I'm sure they usually use other more common items so that they can continue their quest of being low lifes.

It was actually people in school who usually wouldn't do any harm, fireworks turn a lot of teenagers into complete c**ts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I have two dogs and dread halloween - they are terrified of fireworks, can attack furniture and woodwork if left alone and won't go out in the garden on their own.

So we should ban thunderstorms too?

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Unfortunately scumbags don't need fireworks to harm animals or other humans.

In the last month the 'Northside People' had one story of a cat shot a few times with a pellet gun and a dog who had his face burnt off with acid.

Sorry, but reading that kind of stuff brings out my inner vigilante. You really don't want to know what I'd do to people who did this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Confab wrote: »
    So we should ban thunderstorms too?

She can't help the stuff like the fireworks in Dublin, no. And I would say no to banning the displays done by the professionals for the 90 minutes or whatever it is.

But there's no reason to have little feckers flinging them around the place in neighbourhoods or flats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Sorry, but reading that kind of stuff brings out my inner vigilante. You really don't want to know what I'd do to people who did this kind of thing.

Would you do that if the same was done to a person? My guess is no.

[...] I've been injured by fireworks and I believe it wouldn't have happened if the gards did their job and dealt with it.

It shouldn't be a responsibility of the state to protect individuals from their own stupidity.

• Advertisement

gvn wrote: »
    It shouldn't be a responsibility of the state to protect individuals from their own stupidity.

Maybe it should be the moral responsibility to educate such people (and I think the state to some degree tries to) but if fools after that ignore whats being said to them?
    ...Well they suffer their own brought about consequences - which hopefully don't involve the harming of further innocents!

Advertisement