Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should something be done about fireworks?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

gvn wrote: »
    It shouldn't be a responsibility of the state to protect individuals from their own stupidity.

He never said how he was injured. You assume it was because he was mishandling them or something.
    Maybe he had someone throw one at him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

GarIT wrote: »
    I was in a public toilet and had fireworks thrown at me at the time, theres nothing I could have done

*clenches bumcheeks*, ouch! sore dose! :o

I was walking the young lad to school one morning when a couple of little shíts dropped a black cat behind them in our wake, I just stepped on the firework and there was no bang, no drama!

They're not going away any time soon OP, and theres always going to be a black market for them, and as annoying as they are, they're more or less only around for a few weeks in the year, scumbags will always find some way to amuse themselves at the expense of others, and fireworks are only one temporary way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

I find the different approaches to enforcement for fireworks versus drugs to be a little strange: if caught with a small amount of cannabis you might be given a conviction in Court that could seriously F up your employment prospects (incl. visa eligibility for certain countries), while if your caught with illegal explosives that are commonly used in a dangerous and antisocial manner you will merely have them taken off you with no threat of further repercussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Biggins wrote: »
    Sorry to hear of your injuries.

Lets be honest, the Gardi can't be everywhere, every time.
    A 24 hour, around the clock, all year Garda presence, lined by side by side across our border, is not going to stop fireworks either getting in or being used in the country.

Certainly in some cases there should be much heavier sentences where lives are effected.
    The Gardi can ONLY enforce the law which is on the books.
    A toolman is only as good as his tools.

Blame the right people and not the only that are called in later to try clean up the mess and catch the culprits!
    If you want change, pressure those that can make it happen - its not the Gardi but elected representatives which then give the Gardi of Ireland the tools (law and/or utilities) to do their job.

They dont have to be everywhere but take last year for examply I know of 5 people that we caught with fireworks last year, where I live people walk aroud with gym bags of them setting them off. If their parents of each of those people got fined €1,000 and the kids got a few weeks community service it should take a big chunk of the problem away.

We should't need someone to happen for harsher punishments, thats like letting someone away with drug use because you want to arrest them after they rob somebody to pay their debits.

I never really thought about it before but I think I might send off an email to the department of justice and see what they say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...I think I might send off an email to the department of justice and see what they say.

Well if you do, fair play for taking up the mantle about something that concerns you and trying to effect change!

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    Maybe it should be the moral responsibility to educate such people (and I think the state to some degree tries to) but if fools after that ignore whats being said to them?
    ...Well they suffer their own brought about consequences - which hopefully don't involve the harming of further innocents!

Exactly. Education is key. As I said, I don't believe the state should help to protect person's from their own stupidity.
    He never said how he was injured. You assume it was because he was mishandling them or something.
    Maybe he had someone throw one at him?

I didn't direct my statement at him. He said he had fireworks thrown at him; if he was injured because of that, then the individuals who threw the fireworks should have been arrested for assault. The kind of person who would throw a firework at another isn't going to stop being an arse just because fireworks are illegal, and if fireworks became impossible to get then they'd just use something else. Prohibition doesn't work, whereas education does.

*clenches bumcheeks*, ouch! sore dose! :o

I was walking the young lad to school one morning when a couple of little shíts dropped a black cat behind them in our wake, I just stepped on the firework and there was no bang, no drama!

They're not going away any time soon OP, and theres always going to be a black market for them, and as annoying as they are, they're more or less only around for a few weeks in the year, scumbags will always find some way to amuse themselves at the expense of others, and fireworks are only one temporary way to do it.

You really don't want to be on the bog when a firework goes off. It acutally used to be a few weeks but they started today and they will probably go on until christmas.

I didn't direct my statement at him. He said he had fireworks thrown at him; if he was injured because of that, then the individuals who threw the fireworks should have been arrested for assault. The kind of person who would throw a firework at another isn't going to stop being an arse just because fireworks are illegal, and if fireworks became impossible to get then they'd just use something else. Prohibition doesn't work, whereas education does.

Apologies so. I thought you were trying to say he hurt himself with them.

They actually wouldn't. There are people my age that wouldn't do anything wrong all year but at halloween decide its funny so stick a banger in a sheep.

I don't know the actuall laws but at a fireworks talk in school a gard told us there were fines and then jail time depending on the quantity. We don't need masses of enforcement but we should make the gards act when they do catch someone. If you see big lights in the sky saying "here I am" its not hard to find the culprit.

They actually wouldn't. There are people my age that wouldn't do anything wrong all year but at halloween decide its funny so stick a banger in a sheep.

I don't know the actuall laws but at a fireworks talk in school a gard told us there were fines and then jail time depending on the quantity. We don't need masses of enforcement but we should make the gards act when they do catch someone. If you see big lights in the sky saying "here I am" its not hard to find the culprit.

As Biggins said, it's not the fault of the Gardaí at all. They can only do what the law states.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Ghandee wrote: »
    All fireworks should be destroyed!

Gather them all up, pile them all together and set fire to them.

This should happen a few times a year.

That's kinda what does happen, except they're not all in one pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Some people are just idiots. You can take all sorts of things from them (alcohol/drugs/bangers/guns/videogames) they'll still be fcuking idiots though.

A person doesn't decide to maim an animal just because they happen to be in possession of a firework. The vast majority of people that use fireworks at halloween do so in a responsible fashion. Who cares if a few scrotes are more likely to blow their fingers off?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

We should alll build a big fire in around a month's time and talk this out by the flames. Who is with me on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Oh feck off. Poor you. :rolleyes:

I personally hate bangers i.e black cats, air bombs and screamers etc. Proper rocket fireworks not so much (at least when they're aimed into the sky)

But no I don't want those who let off a few fireworks at halloween criminalized and potentially rejected job offers over something trivial like this.

Get a grip OP. You just simply can't combat personal vices with draconian laws, it's pointless and no ones business. It's doing **** all to you or me, why butt in and interfere just to annoy people ?

Prosecute those who injure people with fireworks under assault or grievious bodily harm etc. It's like arguing alcohol to be outlawed over drunken fights.

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Oh feck off. Poor you. :rolleyes:

I personally hate bangers i.e black cats, air bombs and screamers etc. Proper rocket fireworks not so much (at least when they're aimed into the sky)

But no I don't want those who let off a few fireworks at halloween criminalized and potentially rejected job offers over something trivial like this.

Get a grip OP. You just simply can't combat personal vices with draconian laws, it's pointless and no ones business. It's doing **** all to you or me, why butt in and interfere just to annoy people ?

Prosecute those who injure people with fireworks under assault or grievious bodily harm etc. It's like arguing alcohol to be outlawed over drunken fights.

But theres a reason kids can't drink, the same applies to fireworks, children shouldnt have them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

But theres a reason kids can't drink, the same applies to fireworks, children shouldnt have them at all.

I'm all for regulation then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Being a teenager every year I see people that get stopped by the gards while in possession of fireworks, they are taken off them and nothing ever happen, a lot of them aren't even asked for their names. Fireworks are illegal and I think its about time that we do something about it, IMO there should be fines and arrests, I've been injured by fireworks and I believe it wouldn't have happened if the gards did their job and dealt with it.

Life imprisonment..That'll stop 'em.

That reminds me I must take a trip to Newry before Halloween. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Confab wrote: »
    So we should ban thunderstorms too?
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Pass a law that allows a Garda to confiscate all valuables carried by anyone found in possession of fireworks.

Or wait for the day when a fireworks-related-tragedy happens & say: what a tragedy... something must be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I don't see why people are debating the effectiveness of 'vice' laws; it seems irrelevant.

First, it's irrelevant because Ireland *already* has these laws.
    Second, it's irrelevant because no law can possibly be effective if it isn't enforced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

Why dont they just make them legal, because as long as there legal in the north people are going to get them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

I tripped over a paving stone and sprained my toe.

BAN THE PAVING STONES!!!11

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

I've actually had my hair & clothes burned from having them fired in my direction by scumbags where I live. Someone said modify your behaviour so it wont happen, what should I do, not set foot outside my own front door? I blame the parents though, letting kids no older than 8 have them, clearly have no regard for their children's safety. They've been putting them in bottles the past few days & if someone were to trip on the road now they'd be cut to bits from the glass everywhere. People went & swept up & they just started doing it again. Someone was actually throwing them & glass bottles at the gardai last night, so I pity them putting up with it all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    Don't be a dry balls, let them have their fun

I was of the same mentality until I was about 16 and a firework went off in my hand as it was lit.

Prior to this I thought I was the dogs bollox and nothing was going to happen. Now, thinking back, it was retarded. Fireworks are retard unless used in a professional manner and kids/teenagers don't know what that is.

That was the single most painful experience of my life and wouldn't wish it upon anyone. Had to get minor surgery and am left unable to touch my baby finger with my thumb and a stupid tan line were my skin can't get colour.

No one will ever take any heed to the above until it happens to them.

So I'll just say, from first hand experience, fireworks (unless used in the correct way) are extremely dangerous and should not be messed with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

They should be made legal. Ireland is one of the few countries where they aren't legal, and frankly its crazy when they are available across the border anyway.

Some advantages would be
    - Regulating the quality of fireworks available
    - Removing the black market for them and therefore reducing the availability to kids
    - Gaining a bit of tax revenue from their sale

I think regulation and sale to over 18s only is the way forward. I know kids can still get drink and ciggarettes but it would help a lot imo if the dodgey sellers were put out of business.

When used correctly there's nothing wrong with them.

PaulKK wrote: »
    They should be made legal. Ireland is one of the few countries where they aren't legal, and frankly its crazy when they are available across the border anyway.

Some advantages would be
    - Regulating the quality of fireworks available
    - Removing the black market for them and therefore reducing the availability to kids
    - Gaining a bit of tax revenue from their sale

I think regulation and sale to over 18s only is the way forward. I know kids can still get drink and ciggarettes but it would help a lot imo if the dodgey sellers were put out of business.

When used correctly there's nothing wrong with them.

That probably is the best way forward, but it needs to be remembered that they are dangerous explosives and there should be severe punishments for any parents of a child found in possession of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Very harsh thread-I think if found in posession of fireworks, they should be let off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Sorry, but reading that kind of stuff brings out my inner vigilante. You really don't want to know what I'd do to people who did this kind of thing.

I am 100% with you on that.

If you ever catch one and agree to hold him down, I will gladly get a red hot fire iron and shove the cold end up his hole so he can't remove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Should something be done about fireworks?

Yeah, make them legal again . . .

Like they used to be back up until the late 60s, providing of course that strict guidelines/regulations are put in place. All that black market revenue would be well spent towards helping to dig us out of our current debt problems, and I guess that there's a lot of money hemorrhaging out of the state every year/decade, with many people and families buying Fireworks from outside the State.

Northern Ireland & Wales must make a lot of money out of annual Firework sales to punters from the Republic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Holyjebus

I fecking DETEST this time of year...scumbags in the town throwing them at cars and people. I had one group of them pretend to throw one in on top of my child in his buggy in broad daylight, put the fear of God in me. I rang the guards and they never turned up :(
    Also cars in the estate are having the windows smashed out by little ****s putting bangers behind the wipers.
    Having them thrown into my garden where my dog is, again in daylight.
    Yep, great fun this time every year:rolleyes:

Advertisement