Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pakistani minister offers $100,000 for the death of the US film maker

Options
12346»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

marienbad wrote: »
    Brown Bomber why are you so hung up on the definition of propaganda or satire ? Or what their motivations were ?
    My point is simpy that it was not satire as was falsely claimed.
    marienbad wrote: »
    If their motivation was to offend so what ? Are you suggesting such videos etc be banned ?
    No, but provocation shouldn't be downplayed and be described as satire.

[-0-] wrote: »
    If you read my post entirely before jumping in and dissecting each sentence, you would see that I do indeed support my point of view.
    Surely you realise that putting forward a definition of satire is no more evidence of the existence of satire than you putting forward the definition of "cat" is evidence that the hypothethical dog that I've drawn is in fact a cat.

Pathetically and for reasons best known to yourself you try and paper over the cracks of your hopeless position and faulty reasoningby resorting to snide personal attacks like the below:
    [-0-] wrote: »
    Were you not loved as a child? That's an honest question, not meant as an insult. Surely your behaviour is the result of something of that nature, you poor thing.

You have not presented and cannot offer any evidence to support your false assumption yet you religiously defend it and dig your heels in like a fanatic. Apparently you know the motivations of the producers better than they do themselves.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

BB, if I agree with you and say this video wasn't satire, can we move on? If you need to get one particular poster here to admit to something you can both continue via PM.

There are plenty of points people have made that matter regardless of the intent of the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

Thanks Dades. I was just about to discontinue following this thread.

Dades wrote: »
    BB, if I agree with you and say this video wasn't satire, can we move on? If you need to get one particular poster here to admit to something you can both continue via PM.
    Ideally -O- would have the backbone to admit his error but nevertheless you are the boss.

• Advertisement

Banbh wrote: »
    Thanks Dades. I was just about to discontinue following this thread.
    Yeah, I can see how facts can be problematic to ignorance but carry on villifying a people you clealy know absolutely nothing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Yeah, I can see how facts can be problematic to ignorance but carry on villifying a people you clealy know absolutely nothing about.

Any chance of a comment on the actual topic of the thread?

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

It's not that complicated. On the one hand I was talking of consequences and on the other I am talking about intentions.

The 'offending' pieces are both the same - a representation of Mohammed in a non-reverential light. The consequences were not the issue, it was your inference that it's the perception of the piece, not the intent in my case, and that it's the intent and not the reaction in this case. You may pick and choose what you are offended by but at least be consistent.

Advertisement