Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pakistani minister offers $100,000 for the death of the US film maker

Options
  • 22-09-2012 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/pakistan-minister-offers-100000-reward-for-death-of-us-filmmaker-567888.html
    A Pakistani Cabinet minister has today offered a US$100,000 reward for the death of the US filmmaker whose movie features a depiction of Islam’s Prophet Mohammed.

Railways Minister Ghulam Ahmad Bilor said he would pay the reward out of his own pocket.

He also urged the Taliban and al-Qaida to perform the “sacred duty” of helping locate and kill the filmmaker.

More than 20 people died yesterday in clashes with police in cities throughout the country.

The film has sparked violent protests throughout the Muslim world that resulted in the deaths of dozens, including the US ambassador to Libya.

Scores of people were injured today in a clash in Bangladesh’s capital between police and hundreds of demonstrators, as protests continued in the Muslim world against the film.

Police fired tear gas and used batons today to disperse the stone-throwing protesters, who were from about a dozen Islamic groups.

The protesters burned several vehicles in Dhaka, including a police van, witnesses said.

Dozens of protesters were arrested at the demonstration and inside the nearby National Press Club, where participants took refuge, a Dhaka Metropolitan Police official said.

Police and witnesses said scores of people were injured.

The clash erupted when authorities attempted to halt the demonstration, police said.

Authorities have banned all protests near the city’s main Baitul Mokarram mosque since yesterday, when more than 2,000 people marched and burned an effigy of President Barack Obama.

The protesters announced a nationwide general strike tomorrow to protest the police action.

In Pakistan, protests continued today, with more than 1,500 people, including women and children, rallying in Pakistan’s capital. The crowd was peaceful but angry over the release of the video called Innocence of Muslims, which portrays the Prophet Mohammed as a fraud, a womaniser and a child molester.

The protesters – from the Minhaj-ul-Quran religious group – marched through Islamabad’s streets and then gathered near Parliament, chanting slogans against the filmmaker and demanding stern punishment for him.

Thousands of people also protested today in Nigeria’s largest city, Kano. The crowd marched from a mosque to the palace of the Emir of Kano, the region’s top spiritual leader for Muslims.

About 200 students in Srinagar, the main city in Indian-controlled Kashmir, chanted “Down with America” and “Long live Islam” in a peaceful protest.

Some carried a placard that read: “There is no God but Allah and Mohammed is his messenger.”

I view this as a direct attack on the US, if the Pakistani government do not distance themselves from this cretin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Did you ever stop to think how insecure in their own beliefs these people must be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

The Pakistani government have a responsibility to make it's stance on this very clear, and very quickly. Failure to do so can, and should be, seen as agreement of this rogue's actions and opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

The U.S. gave $20.7 billion in military and economic development aid to Pakistan from fiscal 2002 through fiscal 2011.

Even though the majority of money was given to the military, $6.5 billion was spent on development assistance, disaster and refugee aid, and food and health, among other things.

According to http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-South-Central/2011/0518/US-aid-in-Pakistan-Where-s-the-money-going/How-much-US-money-is-in-Pakistan

The removal of this aid could hurt Pakistan a great deal.

Kivaro wrote: »
    The U.S. gave $20.7 billion in military and economic development aid to Pakistan from fiscal 2002 through fiscal 2011.

Even though the majority of money was given to the military, $6.5 billion was spent on development assistance, disaster and refugee aid, and food and health, among other things.

According to http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-South-Central/2011/0518/US-aid-in-Pakistan-Where-s-the-money-going/How-much-US-money-is-in-Pakistan

The removal of this aid could hurt Pakistan a great deal.

Lets not forget they provided a safe haven for Bin Laden.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Do they not know they are trashing their own country ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Why don't they go protest in Yemen where they all emphatically say of course he married a child and use that as a basis for ongoing child abuse
    but no, it's only uncool when other people point it out

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

It's very odd, and I don't understand it. A protest takes place. I get that part. They don't like, or even find the film to be a direct attack on their religion. I'm still with them.

Riot and their own people killed? Their own property burns. Their own police injured. Yep. That'll show'em.

They also want the film maker to be punished. It's not like he's under their juridstiction. And in the US, I don't think he committed a crime. He's an idiot, certainly. Maybe a bigot. Religious nut, i'd bet money. Xenophobic, sounds about right. Could even be a commie for all I know.

These protests aren't hurting anyone but the protesters themselves.

If I was that transport minister, I'd be watching for low flying drones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

so, eh. anyone else thinking what i'm thinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

"Thank you...... kill again"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

I think so Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

profile-photo-PinkyJain4-48x48.jpg?1346608885

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Yes, that the $100K would be better spent on a strategy to solve the overcrowding on the Pakistani rail system:

pakistan_train_png8.png

Lets be honest here, the video itself was pure tripe. I could only sit through 12 seconds of it. It was a badly acted, low budget filthy attempt at satire. There are more offending videos online, and why a big deal is being made out of this video is beyond me. This smells of an excuse for an attack on The Free World from middle eastern extremists, however this recent development from Pakistan is alarming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

If I kill somebody totally unrelated will I get the 100k? Or is that only allowed if your Muslim and easily offended?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Do you reckon we could wrap up Reilly and send him over instead? I hear we all look alike. And taste like chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I recently asked my parents what is was like to live through Khomeini declaring a fatwa against Salman Rushdie. In my ignorance, I shook my head and wondered how bizarre that was and mentally clapped myself on the back for living in an age where nothing like that would happen again.

I may have been too optimistic.

It just pisses me off so much that dozens of people are being killed over this piece of trash film. Real people with families and jobs and who eat ice-cream. Not just a ticker-tape with a number on the news. Real people with hopes for the future are dying for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

I'd top him for 50k

No one is gonna miss one less lying ass hole extremist yank.

He's just as bad as the Islamic extremists.

He knew fine well his film would lead to the deaths of innocent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

$100,000,...sounds a bit like the old catholic indulgence.

Now you get to be holy and renowned on the basis you have $100,000., to spare!

I wonder how much the average rioter has in his pocket?

Just a thought !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Jellicoe wrote: »
    I'd top him for 50k

So the deaths of innocent people is his fault for demonstrating what should be seen as a harmless form of artistic expression as opposed to the gun-wielding Islamic extremists who believe that anyone who visually or audibly depicting the profile of a incestuous rapist from the 6th century is fair game for murder? That makes perfect sense.

It's nice to see that you're also in favour of his death. Cat Stevens called, he wants his testimony back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I'd top him for 50k

Horse****. Crappy, offensive films deserve criticism. Offensive film makers- if we judge the offence needless- deserve scorn. You can't make people responsible for unreasonable reactions to their work, regardless of their understanding of the risk. That's like blaming a rape victim for wearing the wrong clothes.

• Advertisement

I'd top him for 50k

You're missing the point entirely. You should read Sam Harris' comments on it. http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/on-the-freedom-to-offend-an-imaginary-god

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

Criticism of the film is a cop-out for those who are afraid/unwilling to face what I think can now rightly be called Islamofascism.

The RTE/Newstalk commintariat all chose this out when discussing the issue. In fact on nearly every international TV channel we have the same thing - the film is cheap, the magazine is crap etc. Even Obama and Clinton chose this route. This has nothing to do with the case. The same intimidation and murder threats were used against Salman Rushdie's book and the films made in the Netherlands. It has nothing to do with the quality of the criticism but with the criticism itself.

A religion (and a very nasty one at that) is attempting, by murder and mayhem, to prevent people around the world from saying things they don't like. This religion controls several countries where it implements its religious laws - laws that treat women less than animals, that deny freedom of expression and worship and the many norms of civilisation that we enjoy.

Pakistan is now the biggest threat to peace in the world. It has nuclear weapons, given to it by the US, and it is in a 'state' of chaos with religious bigots competing with each other for the approval of the mob.

Let us not take issue with the quality of every cartoon and video but be thankful that there are some people who are prepared to put their lives on the line to stand up to the forces of ignorance and intolerance.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

draw_mohammed_day_680.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Pakistan ? Oh you mean that partitioned muslim state robbed off the hands of India.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I'd top him for 50k

Not only is he not as bad as the extremists who killed people, he's not even as bad as you, someone who is willing to kill people (for money) because of their ignorant views. What happened to the notion that we should respect everyone's right to hold beliefs? My (non-existent) god us atheists are constantly harangued about respecting others rights to hold their beliefs and then you suggest someone should be killed for theirs, insane. Really really insane.

Nailz wrote: »
    So the deaths of innocent people is his fault for demonstrating what should be seen as a harmless form of artistic expression as opposed to the gun-wielding Islamic extremists who believe that anyone who visually or audibly depicting the profile of a incestuous rapist from the 6th century is fair game for murder? That makes perfect sense.

It's nice to see that you're also in favour of his death. Cat Stevens called, he wants his testimony back.
    Horse****. Crappy, offensive films deserve criticism. Offensive film makers- if we judge the offence needless- deserve scorn. You can't make people responsible for unreasonable reactions to their work, regardless of their understanding of the risk. That's like blaming a rape victim for wearing the wrong clothes.
    [-0-] wrote: »
    You're missing the point entirely. You should read Sam Harris' comments on it. http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/on-the-freedom-to-offend-an-imaginary-god
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    Not only is he not as bad as the extremists who killed people, he's not even as bad as you, someone who is willing to kill people (for money) because of their ignorant views. What happened to the notion that we should respect everyone's right to hold beliefs? My (non-existent) god us atheists are constantly harangued about respecting others rights to hold their beliefs and then you suggest someone should be killed for theirs, insane. Really really insane.

Piss and moan all ye like, its just Darwin, and survival of the fittest.
    Actually I'd top both the film maker and the Railways minister for the 100k, and I'd throw in Dawkins head for free. Its all extremists and their views that are the problem with this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Piss and moan all ye like, its just Darwin, and survival of the fittest.

Most of these people have already reproduced, so nope, not survival of the fittest.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

Actually I'd top both the film maker and the Railways minister for the 100k, and I'd throw in Dawkins head for free.

You would murder others for their point of view.
    Its all extremists and their views that are the problem with this world.

But think being willing to murder others for their point of view is wrong.

Do you honestly not see anything contradictory here?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The sooner we level liberate Pakistan the better for everyone.

• Advertisement

Sycopat wrote: »
    You would murder others for their point of view.

But think being willing to murder others for their point of view is wrong.

Do you honestly not see anything contradictory here?

Your restricted view of morality is not mine, morality is subjective.
    It's quite moral to top all these extremists in my morality.

Advertisement