Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amendments to No Transaction Fees offer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi skintiam,

Thanks for posting.

To change the fee category on your account, please call Banking365 on 0818 365 365, or send a written request to your account holding branch. Contact details for your branch can be found here. If you are registered for 365Online you can also submit this request through the Secure Messaging Inbox. With Secure Messaging there is a 3 day turn around time to action requests.

We don't have access to customer's accounts here so would be unable to action this for you.

Thanks,
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭skintiam

Hi skintiam,

Thanks for posting.

To change the fee category on your account, please call Banking365 on 0818 365 365, or send a written request to your account holding branch. Contact details for your branch can be found here. If you are registered for 365Online you can also submit this request through the Secure Messaging Inbox. With Secure Messaging there is a 3 day turn around time to action requests.

We don't have access to customer's accounts here so would be unable to action this for you.

Thanks,
    Tara
    Ok thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Hi cgc5483,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Current Account fees and interest are debited on the following dates:

Quarter 1 - 22/03/2013.
    Quarter 2 - 21/06/2013.
    Quarter 3 - 20/09/2013.
    Quarter 4 - 31/12/2013.

If you haven't received a fee notification, please call Banking365 on 0818 365 365, and a representative will be more than happy to check the fees due on your account.

Thanks,
    Tara.
    Where would i get the fee notification. Would I be able to see it online?

Hi cgc5483,

A fee notification is issued with your statement. If you were not due a statement during that period a separate fee notification letter is issued by post if the fees are more than €12.70. It's not possible to view it online however, we think this would be very useful to customers and have forwarded your suggestion to our Development Team for consideration with future developments with 365Online.

Thanks,
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Hi cgc5483,

A fee notification is issued with your statement. If you were not due a statement during that period a separate fee notification letter is issued by post if the fees are more than €12.70. It's not possible to view it online however, we think this would be very useful to customers and have forwarded your suggestion to our Development Team for consideration with future developments with 365Online.

Thanks,
    Tara
    Ok but if you have signed up to eStatements what happens. My address on A/C is currently being changed from my parents address

• Advertisement

Hi cgc5483,

Fee notifications are not yet available with eStatements and are sent by post to the address on your account, only when the fees are more than €12.70.

Thanks,
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭inovo

This is an absolute disgrace. 3 accounts between my better half and I. €35 per account per quarter = €420! We've been with BOI 15 years each and this is how our custom is rewarded. Time to find another bank!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi inovo,

We are sorry to hear you are upset with our current transaction fees. If you would like to pm us your contact number and the branch your current account is held with. We can get the branch to call you to discuss options that may be able to reduce fees.

Thank you very much.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Hi there BOI.

As a BOI customer since my very first job 20 years ago to say Im pissed with these fees is an understatement.

Ive just received a bill today for 61 euros worth of fees.

This is an absolute disgrace.

You are actually charging me to deposit money into my account ie my wages!!!!!

You are charging me to pay a BOI loan by standing order!!!!!

28 cent per atm transaction??28 cent per direct debit?

Disgraceful.Absolutely disgraceful.

This time tomorrow I will no longer be a BOI customer unless something is done about these extortionate fees by close of business tomorrow as Im taking my 20 years of business elsewhere and BOI can go and **** themselves.I dont care if this other Bank decides to introduce fees in the future.My account will be emptied by tomorrow evening / Friday morning and the 61 euros worth of fees will never be paid as you cant take it out of an empty account.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

just got a statement for 59.08.are you guys for real?

its the first ive heard of it. i made well over 20 365 online transactions and i thought this exempted you from fees.

at least dick turpin wore a mask.

• Advertisement

Hi Hellrazer,

We understand your frustrations and upset at these changes and have noted them for feedback to our current account department.

If you can please pm us your branch and contact number, we can organise someone to call you and hopefully be able to discuss the best option available to you.

Thanks
    Linda

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive already been in touch with my branch support and they have told me that they cannot do anything regarding these rip off fees.They are unwilling to do anything with them at all.

So basically as a customer of 20 years Ive been given 2 fingers and told to go elsewhere.So much for rewarding loyal customers.

Someone high up needs to rethink these extortionate charges before you loose all your customers to low cost if not free banking.

Nail in Bank of Irelands coffin if you ask me.

Hi handsomecake,

The qualifying criteria for our No Transaction Fees Offer was changed last November. The criteria to have €3000 paid through your account and to make 9 debit payments using 365 phone or online banking is no longer available. To qualify for this offer you need to maintain a credit balance of €3000 in your account throughout the fee quarter. You can find more information here.

We announced this change through the following methods;
    • A press notice in the Current Accounts section of our website.
    • Adverts in two national newspapers on 19/09/2012.
    • In branch signage.
    • On all Personal Current Account statements since November.
    • Through our social media channels, boards.ie, Facebook and Twitter.

We appreciate that the change in our No Transaction Fees Offer will affect many of our customers; however our transaction fees remain the same. There are two options available for customers. 

a) Pay as you go: 28c for each transaction.
    b) Flat fee option: €11.40 per quarter for 90 transactions. Transactions in excess of 90 costs 28c each.

There's also a section on our website on how to save on fees which can be accessed here.

Thanks
    Tara

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

Hi handsomecake,

The qualifying criteria for our No Transaction Fees Offer was changed last November. The criteria to have €3000 paid through your account and to make 9 debit payments using 365 phone or online banking is no longer available. To qualify for this offer you need to maintain a credit balance of €3000 in your account throughout the fee quarter. You can find more information here.

We announced this change through the following methods;

A press notice in the Current Accounts section of our website.
    Adverts in two national newspapers on 19/09/2012.
    In branch signage.
    On all Personal Current Account statements since November.
    Through our social media channels, boards.ie, Facebook and Twitter.

We appreciate that the change in our No Transaction Fees Offer will affect many of our customers; however our transaction fees remain the same. There are two options available for customers. 

b) Flat fee option: €11.40 per quarter for 90 transactions. Transactions in excess of 90 costs 28c each.

There's also a section on our website on how to save on fees which can be accessed here.

Thanks
    Tara
    i think a letter in the post to each customer would have been suffice , no?

i made 188 transactions. do you think i would have if i knew i was paying 28c for each of them?

the irony is if you have 3000 in your account at all times you probably can afford the fees!!!

rich get richer,poor get poorer.

i got charged 7 transactions for my salary being lodged, then i get charged to take it out as well.this is outrageous.

even if i had of had the flat fee option i had 98  chargeable transactions beyond that which is 27.44+11.40=38.84.

even at 38.84 i still wouldnt be impressed.

been with the bank since i was 16. im 28 now. 

not really encouraged to stay with you now to be honest. thats 240 euro a year over 4 quarters, more then my car tax or tv licence or bin charges. i could go on.

banking should not cost that much.end of

Hi handsomecake,

A customer advisor in your branch may be able to offer advise or suggestions based on your own account usage. If you would like to pm us your name, phone number and branch name, we'd be more than happy to request a call from your branch.

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback and I have forwarded it on to our Consumer Banking Team.

Thanks
    Tara

Just to let people know.I pm`d these BOI reps today and so far I havent even got acknowledgement of this pm.

I asked that they get someone in authority in my branch to call me to discuss these extortionate fees and discuss a reduction in them and so far Ive had no call.

So bye bye BOI.

I gave you a final chance to contact me to discuss this and you havent even bothered with an acknowledgement of my pm.

You had your chance so now Im taking my business of 20 years elsewhere.

Some loyalty to long standing customers this is.

Hi Hellrazer,

Apologies for the delay with responding to your pm. It was received logged as an official complaint to your branch yesterday. As per the consumer protection code, they can take up to 5 working days to contact you but hopefully will be back sooner.

Thanks
    Linda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Received my fee statement during the week. Wondering if it's cheaper now to just make large cash withdrawals at the beginning of each week rather than using the ATM or paying by debit card. The cashless society does seem to be getting further away.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 david.carroll5

Got charged 26 euros too for fees! I never knew anything about the changing of 9 online transactions for free banking. Sly one BOI! My girlfriend knew nothing about these either. I know you said about advertising in some social circles like twitter and facebook but I don't think any of my friends or I follow BOI on these!!! Could you not send letters?! No delay in sending letters for the charges! Feckin Joke! Should have given customers the default flat fee option but I guess was an opportunity to get some easy money off loyal customers! Also now by time I got the letter I can't sign up for the flat fee until the next quarter which is in May. Joke! Moving bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Received a notice for approx €50 of fees, with nearly €40 alone accruing from use of debit card. I am effectively a cashless person, and use plastic for the vast majority of things.

When I rang 365 to switch to the flat fee, I was told that the €11.40 will cover only 90 transactions. I had nearly 200 transactions in the last quarter. So calling it a flat fee is a bit of a joke really.  In addition, the change will not take effect until the next quarter - which is roughly 3 months away. I don't know what form of billing/ERP system BoI use, but that is an insane billing period and will cost you a massive amount of customer goodwill. 

What kind of customer segmentation did Bank of Ireland do when switching people to transaction fees? Any kind of basic analysis on account activity would have identified those who are heavy users and would benefit the most from a flat fee. Instead it looks like they switched everyone to PAYG as default. 

So my plan of action now is
    (a) Start using my credit card to pay for everything (clearing the balance once a week or so)
    (b) Change bank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

dudara wrote: »
    Received a notice for approx €50 of fees, with nearly €40 alone accruing from use of debit card. I am effectively a cashless person, and use plastic for the vast majority of things.

When I rang 365 to switch to the flat fee, I was told that the €11.40 will cover only 90 transactions. I had nearly 200 transactions in the last quarter. So calling it a flat fee is a bit of a joke really.  In addition, the change will not take effect until the next quarter - which is roughly 3 months away. I don't know what form of billing/ERP system BoI use, but that is an insane billing period and will cost you a massive amount of customer goodwill. 

What kind of customer segmentation did Bank of Ireland do when switching people to transaction fees? Any kind of basic analysis on account activity would have identified those who are heavy users and would benefit the most from a flat fee. Instead it looks like they switched everyone to PAYG as default. 

So my plan of action now is
    (a) Start using my credit card to pay for everything (clearing the balance once a week or so)
    (b) Change bank
    Do both. Problem with CC is that it cannot be used for tiny purchases in small shops and some major discounters dont except them (Lidl, aldi). I'll be bank hopping until all banks bring in fees then I'll reassess my options at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Switched bank this morning after 10 years.  Feels good.  The charging of fees doesn't bother me.  I understand the need to charge (the new bank charges) but the way BOI went about it without communication by letter and in a way that meant people paid the max for two quarters rather than putting people on the flat fee.  That was the problem.

Hi guys,

I will respond to any of you that have asked questions here.

David.carroll5: I have responded to your query on the other thread you posted, apologies when I input the link, it does not copy across correctly.font]

Dudara: We have not reintroduced fees; we amended the No Transaction Fee Offer criteria. As customers decide on which they feel is the best fee category for them on account opening, we understand that this may change from customer to customer and even quarter to quarter. For this reason we do not amend customer’s fee categories as it may not suit the customer for that particular quarter.

Cookie1977 and smallerthanyou: Thank you for your feedback, I have passed this on to our Consumer Banking Team as with all feedback we have received through this forum.

Thank you all again.
    Linda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

This is unbelievable. I've been charged 65 euro for 3 months of fees. I get paid weekly, and my BOI loan and savings direct debits are therefore set up weekly also, so over the course of the 3 months that's 36 transactions alone!

Closing my BOI account as of tomorrow. Rang ptsb and they said they are I credibly busy this week switching customers over from BOI.

Can I ask what was the point in issuing everyone with new visa debit cards? Anyone who stays with BOI now will just withdraw large sums of cash and use that. 28 cent per transaction ? You are having a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi L5,

Thanks for your post. We're sorry to hear that you're unhappy with the current fee structure. If you'd like to PM us with your name, contact number and the name of your branch, we can arrange for one of our customer advisors to give you a call to discuss the matter of the fees further. They may be able to offer advise or suggestions on how to reduce the amount of fees that you're charged.  

If there's anything else we can help you with here, please let us know.

Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Dudara: We have not reintroduced fees; we amended the No Transaction Fee Offer criteria. As customers decide on which they feel is the best fee category for them on account opening, we understand that this may change from customer to customer and even quarter to quarter. For this reason we do not amend customer’s fee categories as it may not suit the customer for that particular quarter.
    I understand your point of clarification re the change of criteria. I was previously eligible for free banking, so I understand that I am now eligible as I will not leave a €3k balance in my account. What annoys me the most is that I was moved automatically to PAYG, when a cursory analysis of my account activity would have made it clear that the Flat Fee option would have been most suitable. BoI adopted this approach en masse, which has surely resulted in thousands of customers paying more than they should have. I would even go so far as to say that refunds should be offered for the first quarter "overcharging".

I have some feedback points that I would like raised internally on my behalf.

(a) BoI should investigate different levels of flat fees. The current flat fee only covers 90 trx. There should be fees available for customers with higher volumes
    (b) The current charge of 28c per debit card transaction should be revised. To call this "gouging" would be an understatement.

I think that people are generally accepting of the fact that banking with Bank of Ireland is no longer "free". Our objections lie with the prices being charged and the manner in which BoI are applying them.

Hi dudara,

Just to clarify, Bank of Ireland do not move customers to any fee category, if you had selected the Pay As You Go option, you are still on Pay As You Go. If you had selected the Flat Fee option previously, you would still be on the Flat Fee option. Customers would have to request the change by either contacting your branch or Banking 365 on 0818 365 365.

We have passed on all feedback that we receive from the different channels and would like to extend our thanks and appreciation.

Thank you
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 2 brownemar

Like everyone above I am completely disgusted at the way these charges were brought in without any notification to customers. I too want to close my account after 30 years with BOI. Also like everyone else I understand the need to charge but am annoyed that I wasn't even aware of the charges o I could choose the flat fee option. It just seems to be getting harder and harder to live in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi brownemar,

Thanks for posting.

We’re receiving a lot of comments about fees and charges and can understand your frustrations.

If I could just clarify, it’s an amendment to the qualifying criteria for the Free Transaction offer has changed.

Information on changing fee category was listed on Personal Current Account statements since November.

There are two fee categories available.

We also announced this change through the following methods:

A pres notice in the Current Accounts section of our website.
    In branch signage.
    Through our social media channels, boards.ie, Facebook and Twitter

Information on this and how to reduce fees can be found here

Thanks

Billy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

Hi brownemar,

Thanks for posting.

We’re receiving a lot of comments about fees and charges and can understand your frustrations.

If I could just clarify, it’s an amendment to the qualifying criteria for the Free Transaction offer has changed.

Information on changing fee category was listed on Personal Current Account statements since November.

There are two fee categories available.

We also announced this change through the following methods:

A pres notice in the Current Accounts section of our website.
    In branch signage.
    Through our social media channels, boards.ie, Facebook and Twitter

Information on this and how to reduce fees can be found here

Thanks

Billy

Billy you don't get it.  Yes this change was communicated in such a way that people could easily get the information.  People shouldn't have to visit your branch, website, social media channels or read in the newspaper that these changes were coming.  As for putting the information on the back of statements that was just plain sneaky.  Who reads the back of their statements?

Such a change should have been highlighted via a standalone letter, or at the very least a letter accompanying the November statements.  

It is due to this underhand behaviour that I am meeting with Permanent TSB this week to move across both my Current Account and Credit Card account.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement