Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amendments to No Transaction Fees offer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lamnot

Tara,

As I was out of the country on the date the advertisement was published, don't feel the need to follow my bank on Facebook and don't regularly check your press notices section (as I'm sure not many folk do) I was unaware of these changes until yesterday.

Surely a letter, or even an email would have had a better impact in notifying your customers of this change. The underhand manner in which these changes have been implemented suggests to me that a lot of people will be in for a shock when they receive their statements next quarter, and I would suggest to your Consumer banking team that postponing this change for the current quarter and adequately notifying your customers in the above manner would be a much fairer and better way to sweeten these changes.

I appreciate that I won't be charged for the quarter to 16-NOV-12, however if I am understanding the changes correctly, there is now no way I can avoid being charged for the current quarter purely due to not knowing on the 17-NOV-12 that I had to have €3,000 in my account to do so!

I'll be circulating details of this change round my office (which has BoI onsite regularly to signup new customers) to ensure that as many folk are as aware of this as possible, seeing a BoI themselves don't seem to be doing a great job of this themselves.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi Lamnot,

Thanks again for taking the time to give us your feedback. As Tara mentioned, we'll be making our Consumer Banking Team aware of your comments.

Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

To change to the flat fee, please call Banking 365 on 0818 365 365.
    Representative assisted hours are 8am - 12midnight Monday to Friday and 9am - 6pm Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays.

Thanks for your posts

Billy

Can you please advise of a landline number as I cannot ring such numbers on my mobile?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Think it's poor those coming off the previous free banking are put on to the PAYG option by default, when I called to get flat fee was told it takes a quarter to take effect, a quarter? What year are we living in?

Suspect when this quarter ends and people start getting notices that they are going to be charged x amount the **** will really hit the fan with customer complaints. Did a straw poll in the office on Friday of BOI customers and none knew they have recently lost free banking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi whatlliwear,

You can call Banking 365 on 01 4044000.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Do you have to have 3000 balance for the flat fee option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi PinkFly,

Thanks for your query. It isn't necessary to have €3000 in your account to register for the €11.40 Flat Fee Option. If you maintain a credit balance of €3000 in your account for the full fee quarter, you would automatically qualify for our No Transaction Fee Offer and would not be liable for transaction fees on your account for that quarter.

You can find more information about our two fee options and the No transaction Fee Offer here under the Fees and Charges section at the bottom.

Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 48 gud

I have about €500 odd euro in my current account, and €2,700 in a BOI saver account that I dont have access to unless i go into bank and withdraw. So as i have over €3000 cash with BOI, will I have to pay fees??

Hi gud,

The qualifying criteria for the No Transaction Fee Offer is to have a €3000 balance in your current account for the full quarter. It does not add up all the money you have with Bank of Ireland and total it to qualify for the No Transaction Fee Offer.

If you would like to check what fee option you are on, please call your branch or Banking 365 directly.

I hope this clears it up.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

In my opinion (and not only mine, check on askaboutmoney.com) keeping 3k in a current account purely for the purposes of avoiding charges is unwise in terms of both interest forgone and security - if your card is skimmed you could lose it all. The cynic in me thinks BoI know most people will be of the same opinion and not keep that kind of money in there (even if they could) so won't avail of the Free banking "offer".

The fact that it *is* possible to get free banking is purely for optics in that they are giving the illusion of choice, in the same way that Ryanair always have one way (which has changed several times over the years) of not paying the ludicrous credit card processing charge they levy on each ticket and leg they issue, even though it's one amount being debited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

K, closing my account and moving to ulster bank. I might have stayed except for the underhanded way they "informed" us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi Skatedude,

Your business is important to us and we're sorry to hear that you're considering closing your account. If there's anything at all we can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MagicRon

Hi Skatedude,

Your business is important to us and we're sorry to hear that you're considering closing your account. If there's anything at all we can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    Graham

If our business really was important to 'you', you would rethink the fees.

I have also moved to Ulster Bank. I actually thought that moving would be harder than it was - if (when) UB introduce fees, I'll be off to the bank that costs me the least (The fees at BOI > AIB!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi MagicRon,

Thanks for your feedback. We're forwarding all comments in relation to this to the relevant departments for consideration.

If you have any queries about Bank of Ireland products in the future, we'd be more than happy to help.

Thanks again,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 33 decosr1

Well I for one will be heading into Ulster bank at lunch time to ask about opening an account. The end of a long relationship with BOI im afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Also moving to ulster bank, 17 years with BOI, countless loans and credit cards and also a business account.

I have an O/S BOI loan. If i close my account can i still log in through banking 365 to review it?

Hi brightkane,

To access Banking 365, you will need a current account or a regular savings account. If you only account that you have with Bank of Ireland is the loan, you will not be able to view this on Banking 365.

We are sorry to hear that you will be changing but if there is anything else we can do for you, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

I have an easy saver account, so as long as thats active I will be able to see my loan and easy saver accounts when i log into 365, do I have that right?

Hi brightkane,

Apologies about the information provided above, after checking with one of my colleagues in Banking365, depending on the kind of loan account that you have, you may still be able to view it on Banking 365. You will need to speak to a representative in Banking 365 directly. You can call them on 0818 365 365.

An easysaver account is a deposit-based account. This cannot be viewed as a stand-alone account online. Depending on your loan account, you may be able to view the easysaver account with the loan account online. Again a Banking 365 representative will be able to advise you regarding this.

Apologies again.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

The way this was informed to customers is an absolute disgrace as is the fact that you cannot change from a transaction based fee to a flat fee during the quarter, however are people really suprised how our banks operate at this stage.

Can you please let me know what the dates for the fee paying quarters are? Is 19/11/12 to 16/02/13, 17/02/13 to 18/05/13 correct.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi Weetabix,

Thank you for taking the time to post and I have forwarded your feedback on to the relevant department regarding how the change was communicated.

The Quarters for 2013 are:
    Quarter 1 - 19th of November 2012 until 15th of February 2013
    Quarter 2 - 18th of February 2013 until 17th of May 2013
    Quarter 3 - 20th of May 2013 until 16th of August 2013
    Quarter 4 - 19th of August 2013 until 15th of November 2013

Thank you again
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Well BOI loose another customer, moved to BOI last after getting screwed by AIB, never heard a word of the change in qualifying criteria for free fees as I was still lodging the 3K minimum and making the 9 transactions per quarter. Got my 6 months statements yesterday and read the foot note about the criteria change, only to later discover it had taken place since November 19th, this leaves me exposed to near €100 euro in fees for last quarter. Sneaky wouldn't start to describe how BOI brought this change about, now closing 2 personal and 2 business accounts. Ulster Bank here I come!!!!!

Hi tommyh1977,

Thanks for taking the time to post. I have forwarded on your feedback on how the change was communicated to customers to the relevant department.

It does sound like €100 is a very high amount. If you would like to get more information on what fee category you are on, please call Banking 365 or you can use the new inbox service through 365 Online.

Thank you again for posting.
    Linda

Hi tommyh1977,

Thanks for taking the time to post. I have forwarded on your feedback on how the change was communicated to customers to the relevant department.

It does sound like €100 is a very high amount. If you would like to get more information on what fee category you are on, please call Banking 365 or you can use the new inbox service through 365 Online.

Thank you again for posting.
    Linda
    €100 is high because of the fact I was automatically merged to the Pay As You Go rate when the change took place, think it's very unfair that anyone who had free fees was defaulted onto the PAYG and not the flat rate, another sneaky move to get more fees.

What will forwarding the feedback achieve for the customers who have been milked, somehow I can't see the change reversed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭harolds57

tommyh1977 wrote: »
    €100 is high because of the fact I was automatically merged to the Pay As You Go rate when the change took place, think it's very unfair that anyone who had free fees was defaulted onto the PAYG and not the flat rate, another sneaky move to get more fees.

What will forwarding the feedback achieve for the customers who have been milked, somehow I can't see the change reversed.
    "Thanks for taking the time to post. I have forwarded on your feedback on how the change was communicated to customers to the relevant department."

This is just a cut and paste job, they have been saying this for nearly all replys on the forum, there not intrested in your feedback, and not worried if you leave, they have the tax payers money thats all they wanted.

harolds57 wrote: »
    "Thanks for taking the time to post. I have forwarded on your feedback on how the change was communicated to customers to the relevant department."

This is just a cut and paste job, they have been saying this for nearly all replys on the forum, there not intrested in your feedback, and not worried if you leave, they have the tax payers money thats all they wanted.
    Yup, they'd be really f**ked if the lost the ability to copy and paste:p

Hi guys,

Thank you for taking the time to post. We do understand where you are coming from and how it can appear but part of the reason Bank of Ireland is on boards.ie is to provide our customers with a voice as well as answering customer's questions. We do actually forward on all feedback to the department the feedback relates to. As with all customer service channels, we are advising the customer of the action we will be taking for them.

Thank you
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭cgc5483

The Quarters for 2013 are:
    Quarter 1 - 19th of November 2012 until 15th of February 2013
    Quarter 2 - 18th of February 2013 until 17th of May 2013
    Quarter 3 - 20th of May 2013 until 16th of August 2013
    Quarter 4 - 19th of August 2013 until 15th of November 2013

Thank you again
    Linda
    When do the fees due appear on your account. Since we are past the 1st quarter I can't see anywhere on my account what is due?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi cgc5483,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Current Account fees and interest are debited on the following dates:
    • Quarter 1 - 22/03/2013.
    • Quarter 2 - 21/06/2013.
    • Quarter 3 - 20/09/2013.
    • Quarter 4 - 31/12/2013.

If you haven't received a fee notification, please call Banking365 on 0818 365 365, and a representative will be more than happy to check the fees due on your account.

Thanks,
    Tara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭skintiam

Can you change me to the flat quarter fee if i pm my details, just had the statement for fees for the last quarter in the door today and €38.92 is a bit steep.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement