Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amendments to No Transaction Fees offer

Options
  • 21-09-2012 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Please note we have made a change to our qualifying criteria for our No Transaction Fees offer. You can find more information here.

Our transaction fees remain the same. There are two options available for customers.
    a) Pay as you go: 28c for each transaction.

b) Flat fee option: €11.40 per quarter for 90 transactions. Transactions in excess of 90 costs 28c each.

If you wish to amend the fee category you are on before the above take effect you will need to make the amendment before 16th of November 2012. You can contact the branch or Banking 365 to discuss.
    The contact number for Banking 365 is 0818 365 365.

There will also be a change in the replacement card charge from €5.90 to €8.00. This will not effect customers in the automatic roll-out of Visa Debit cards.

Thanks
    Linda

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Unbelievable :(
    Personal Current Account transaction fees will not apply if over the course of a fee quarter,
    you maintain a minimum credit balance of €3,000 in your Personal Current Account
    throughout the full fee quarter.

Credit interest is not payable on current account balances, and potential interest may be
    foregone as a result of maintaining a minimum credit balance.
    The previous qualifying criteria to lodge at least €3,000 throughout the fee quarter and
    make 9 debit transactions using 365 phone or online will no longer qualify you for the No
    Transaction Fees Offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mrsbananas

Would this have been posted if I hadn't queried it?
    Press release was issued the 18th but only here 3 days later, why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi Mrsbananas

As our presence on boards.ie is relatively new, we needed to decide on the most suitable approach for the forum. We appreciate there was a delay and apologise for this.

Thanks
    Linda

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Mrsbananas wrote: »
    Would this have been posted if I hadn't queried it?
    Press release was issued the 18th but only here 3 days later, why?

I dont understand why everyone is getting upset about how and when they found out about this bad news. Who cares. I only care that they are ripping us off.

They wont be advertising about this like they would about positive news, eg. The ad is the bottom right corner.

Anyway, Im upset that bank of Ireland have changed it to a minimum of €3000, its a joke. There would not be a lot of people who would have the money to do it, and if they did, it would be better off in a savings account. So basically this bank just wants us to pay.

As customers, we should walk. And see what else is out there. Or we just have to take what they give us....

I myself am looking up ulster bank, ptsb tonight, just reading about it. Ill make a decision next week. Theres a lot to read in the small print when it comes to terms and conditions.

But if these are no better. What can I do other than bend over?
    Maybe Ill just withdraw my salary in the branch every month and pay bills myself? Or else should Ill just bite the pillow and pay the 20-30 euro a quarter?

I really dislike bank or Ireland. And I feel bad for bankofireland:Linda cause she has to read all our complaints, and she has to be polite. Sorry linda, but you work for a shower of clowns!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭daheff

why is this fee change not front and centre on your website??**

I dont think you can possibly say you have effectively & clearly communicated this fee change when its not even linked to the front page of your website

**answer is because you want to bury this news and hope people forget about it until customers get billed, and then its too late for people!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I saw this on askaboutmoney today and was going to post it here. It really is very sneaky by not highlighting it on your website. It is also very cynical to offer free banking to anyone who keeps 3k *at all times* in your account. It's similar to Ryanair being able to state you can avoid CC fees when buying a flight, as long as you jump through several hoops.

I think this may be the nail in the coffin for my 30+ year relation with BoI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi inmyday,

We have a flat fee option which may help you save on fees:
    Flat fee option: €11.40 per quarter for 90 transactions. Transactions in excess of 90 costs 28c each.

Hi daheff and Yakuza,

Our press advertisement on the Bank of Ireland website was posted in our press notices section. We also took out advertisements in two national newspapers, we've information available in our branches and we're using our social media presence to communicate with customers.

Thanks,
    Graham

As stated on the other thread many people have been into branches and no information and you only posted here AFTER I asked about it which was 3 days after your so called press release!
    Also why change the fee structure so soon, it was only changed last year? I'm also sure that last year it was in every national paper and tv adverts also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi Mrsbananas,

We do not have any information on why the decision was made to change the No Transaction Fee Offer. All feedback we have received in relation to this has been passed on to the relevant departments.

Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

For others thinking of changing to a different bank I'm with PTSB and be it they are closing branches but there will be 1 no more than 20 mins away depending on where you live. My point is I am very happy with them. I used to be with BOI years ago and I'm happy I left as even in the good ole day I seemed to always be paying fee's for something. Now I hardly pay any. Think for the entire quarter I paid something like 30 cent for the lot. Other time I didn't pay anything. Obsivously there is overdraft dee's missed DD fee's n that but thats normal for any bank. Id highly recommend PTSB as a change for the better. And no I don't work for them.

• Advertisement

Pat, what are the chances of all the 'relevant' departments coming back with answers to all our questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi Mrsbananas.

We will endeavour to answer all questions, however the feedback that we pass on may not get a response in all cases.
    Any replies and updates that we receive, will be posted here.

Thanks.
    Laura

As I suspected, just passing the buck plain and simple.
    Sure why would we as customers deserve answers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi Mrsbananas,

As Laura mentioned:
    We will endeavour to answer all questions, however the feedback that we pass on may not get a response in all cases.

As per our Customer Charter:
    Why are Bank of Ireland here?

We are here to listen and to help, wherever possible, with your banking queries.

The purpose of this “Talk To” forum is to help Bank of Ireland customers with any customer service queries that they have regarding their day to day banking. We are also happy to assist non-customers should they need information about Bank of Ireland products.

We appreciate that the recent change in our No Transaction Fee Offer will affect many of our customers,
    so while we do try to answer all comments and questions that we receive in relation to this as completely as we can, this may not always be possible for a number of reasons. In these cases we make sure that the business units and departments involved are being made aware of the information we're receiving here.

Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭Tow

Hi Pat,

Are Bank of Ireland staff also going to lose their free banking?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi Tow.

Further to Pat's previous post, we are here to answer all customer queries in relation to day to day banking and Bank of Ireland products and services.
    We are unable to discuss the terms and conditions of employment with Bank of Ireland.

Thanks
    Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I find it somewhat strange that BOI are introducing the requirement to maintain €3000 in accounts at all time to 'get' free banking

Considering that the bank has free and full use of such monies - they will gain much more than the interest on same but will also have the benefit of any and all monies up to that amount but with the added bonus of charging "fees".

I find this charging structure to be both cynical and exploitative. It is also passing strange that both BOI and AIB are adopting the same charging structure post their coming under state ownership.

Who I wonder is the 'financial expert' who is advising Policy from the government think tank in order to align both banks to a streamlined non customer banking model?The bank I believe aim is to see small customers leave in order to achieve these economies of scale.

The future of these two banks whatever they will be do not have the average customer in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭daheff

Hi inmyday,

Hi daheff and Yakuza,

Our press advertisement on the Bank of Ireland website was posted in our press notices section. We also took out advertisements in two national newspapers, we've information available in our branches and we're using our social media presence to communicate with customers.

Thanks,
    Graham

really? I dont see it there on the link below. am I looking in the right section??
    http://www.bankofireland.com/about-boi-group/press-room/press-releases/year/2012/

BTW there is no part of the home page that says press notices section. I found this under quick links>BOI News.

Again I'd contend that this should be front and centre on BOI's homepage, and not hidden away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Are we not paying enough to rescue the banks now they want to rip the lining out of our pockets as well, Ulster bank Or PTSB for me after 31 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

It's a shame to see this being brought in. I don't enough to avoid these charges and even if I did, it would make more sense to put it into my savings account.

How do you apply for the flat rate fee rather than the pay as you go charge?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi daheff,
    daheff wrote: »
    really? I dont see it there on the link below. am I looking in the right section??

http://www.bankofireland.com/about-boi-group/press-room/press-releases/year/2012/

BTW there is no part of the home page that says press notices section. I found this under quick links>BOI News.
    Again I'd contend that this should be front and centre on BOI's homepage, and not hidden away.

The notice is located under Current Account - Press Notices. When a new notice is released, it is posted under the relevant product page - in this case Current Account is the product. If we were releasing a notice about a Savings Account, it would be posted under the Savings Account product page.

I have passed your feedback to the relevant department.

Hi G-Money,
    G-Money wrote: »
    It's a shame to see this being brought in. I don't enough to avoid these charges and even if I did, it would make more sense to put it into my savings account.

How do you apply for the flat rate fee rather than the pay as you go charge?

To change to the flat fee, please call Banking 365 on 0818 365 365.
    Representative assisted hours are 8am - 12midnight Monday to Friday and 9am - 6pm Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays.

Thanks for your posts

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Thanks but to late for me.

I had 20 transactions in 3 months but bank without asking which option I wanted when this charges came effect took €11.40. I feel like I have been mugged on the street.

I can't wait until I don't need your services any more and close my account. (I emigrated)

BOI you are owned by the people please don't forget that. Without tax money all of you would be out of a job!!!

Hi everyone,

Please note we have made a change to our qualifying criteria for our No Transaction Fees offer. You can find more information here.

Our transaction fees remain the same. There are two options available for customers.
    a) Pay as you go: 28c for each transaction.

b) Flat fee option: €11.40 per quarter for 90 transactions. Transactions in excess of 90 costs 28c each.

If you wish to amend the fee category you are on before the above take effect you will need to make the amendment before 16th of November 2012. You can contact the branch or Banking 365 to discuss.
    The contact number for Banking 365 is 0818 365 365.

There will also be a change in the replacement card charge from €5.90 to €8.00. This will not effect customers in the automatic roll-out of Visa Debit cards.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭Tow

gar32 wrote: »
    Without tax money all of you would be out of a job!!!

At the rate they are automating the branches and limited the remaining services to 3 days a week we will see half of the branch staff out of a job within a year.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi gar32,

As mentioned above, the recent change is to the qualifying criteria for our No Transactions Fees offer. Our transaction fee of 28c remains the same.

The flat fee of €11.40 is an option the customer must request. When opening a current account, the customer advisor will ask the customer which of the two fee options they require. If you feel you did not request this option, we would suggest contacting your branch to have the matter looked into.

Thanks,
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

I'm not sure it has been noted but along with the amendment to the free banking terms, Bank of Ireland have also increased the cost of replacing Visa Debit Cards...
    Personal and Business ATM/Debit Cards
    The charge for replacement of a lost, stolen or damaged current or deposit account card
    will change from €5.90 to €8.00 (a 35% increase). This charge does not apply to Second Level Student,
    Golden Years and Business Start Up account cards.

It's unbelievable how myopic BoI and AIB are about this! The exact same thing happened in America with Chase, Wells Fargo and Bank of America, leading to people leaving the banks for Credit Unions.

All in all, this is the final nail in the coffin for me and my 15 year relationship with Bank of Ireland. I'm moving my accounts to Ulster Bank and encouraging everyone I know to do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭harolds57

Am doing the same. Am in the proccess of moving to Ulster Bank. They have a starter pack and basicly they do it all for you either in branch or on web. Closed my credit card today with BOI as a direct result of new charges been brought in and current account will be closed in a mater of weeks once im finished setting it up.
    As pervious posters have said were great about complaining and not doing anything, do something about it and vote with your feet and move bank, it will soon teach them.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MagicRon

Also moving to Ulster Bank.
    I have been with the Bank of Ireland for years, and have done a lot of business through them. But this has put the nail in that coffin. Disgraceful!.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

I'm also moving to Ulster Bank including my Credit Card after 15 years with BOI. Hopefully more people get on board and do this. I'd say the next quarter (Feb 13) when people start to see charges on there statements things will kick off. It seems most accounts are default set up as pay as you use accounts .28c per transaction - over the Christmas period there will be alot of unhappy people out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lamnot

Hi.

Can you please confirm how exactly this change was communicated to your customers? I have only just found out about it on receipt of my bank statement today, and had I been aware of this change in advance I would have either (reluctantly) made provision to top up my account to avoid the changes, or arranged to move provider.

Why were letters not sent out to individual customers alerting them of this change?

I'm guessing that as this was seemingly done in such an underhand way it'll be the second option for me, my wife and our joint account, something I should have done years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Lamnot,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We've answered this earlier on this thread.

The advertisements were published on 19/09/2012, two months in advance of the changes coming into effect.

The change to the qualifying criteria for our No Transactions Fee Offer came into effect on 19th November 2012. The bank statement you have just received is for the fee quarter dated 20/08/2012 - 16/11/2012, which was not effected by the change.

We appreciate that the recent change in our No Transaction Fee Offer will affect many of our customers. We continue to forward all comments and feedback received here, to our Consumer Banking Team.

Thanks
    Tara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement