Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Cool. Did you also notice if the option was there on September 29?

To be honest I only went looking into bridge mode the other evening when I realized my wireless router (Netgear R6300) was showing it's public IP address as being 192.168.yadayada. I only then realized I had Double-DHCP the whole time since I installed the EPC3925. Then I went looking for details on bridge mode. Found your post, realized I had the option with no trickery and posted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Excellent, and it's a good thing you did post, as I for one had no intentions of going back into Router mode anytime soon as I didn't see the need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Great!!!
    They have agreed to swap out my Thomson for a 3925.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭clubcrown

One weird thing; I have this working, and the upc router is in bridging mode, internet access is available through my own router etc etc; but the UPC is still broadcasting and visible when I scan for wireless networks. I disabled wireless as per the instructions.

Its visible if you're looking at all the available networks, but internet access isn't working through it, if you see what I mean.

Previously when I bridged, the UPC modem just wasn't visible at all. I hid the SSID, and its not really a big deal, but any idea why it might still be visible?

clubcrown wrote: »
    One weird thing; I have this working, and the upc router is in bridging mode, internet access is available through my own router etc etc; but the UPC is still broadcasting and visible when I scan for wireless networks. I disabled wireless as per the instructions.

Its visible if you're looking at all the available networks, but internet access isn't working through it, if you see what I mean.

Previously when I bridged, the UPC modem just wasn't visible at all. I hid the SSID, and its not really a big deal, but any idea why it might still be visible?
    No, none at all... On the main page, does it say:
    Wireless Network:	Disable

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭clubcrown

No, none at all... On the main page, does it say:
    Wireless Network:	Disable

?

Nope. Only when I go into wireless - basic settings can I see wireless settings, and even then my only option is manual setup or WPS protected set up.

Theres basically no "switch wireless off" option, or at least there isn't since I put it into bridging mode.

Its not really a problem, I was just just curious.

clubcrown wrote: »
    Nope. Only when I go into wireless - basic settings can I see wireless settings, and even then my only option is manual setup or WPS protected set up.

Theres basically no "switch wireless off" option, or at least there isn't since I put it into bridging mode.

Its not really a problem, I was just just curious.
    EDIT: I don't have anything to select one the Wireless page when I'm bridged I see all the settings except a way to disable it, however, disabling it prior to bridging works for me and there is no wireless network broadcasting from it.

What I showed you above wasn't an option, it was a status on the main login page or the DOCSIS WAN page just saying that Wireless is disabled.

UPC Eamon posted this in the UPC forum today

Please note though that we don't support bridging mode, so Technical Support wouldn't be able to support changing settings, where this mode is enabled.

UPC Eamon posted this in the UPC forum today

Please note though that we don't support bridging mode, so Technical Support wouldn't be able to support changing settings, where this mode is enabled.
    No big deal, you just switch it back and then you're sorted, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

A firmware change/upgrade is not needed to enable this option.

UPC just need to provision your account to have bridge mode enabled. The DOCSIS config file your modem downloads will determine if your routers firmware enables this feature or not when you connect to their WLAN. Most likely there is other features they can enable and disable this way. They can also change/edit your modem's settings via SNMP.

• Advertisement

Great!!!
    They have agreed to swap out my Thomson for a 3925.

How did you manage that?

Also what routers are you bridging to ? I would like to install Tomato firmware on some N class router.

A firmware change/upgrade is not needed to enable this option.

UPC just need to provision your account to have bridge mode enabled. The DOCSIS config file your modem downloads will determine if your routers firmware enables this feature or not when you connect to their WLAN. Most likely there is other features they can enable and disable this way. They can also change/edit your modem's settings via SNMP.
    To me, that concept is still fairly new (also exciting and disturbing at the same time). I had read that they could have enabled it using the DOCSIS WAN config file and SNMP in the months past here on Boards but I only half believed it.

My idea for enabling Bridge mode in the EPC was always DOCSIS independent. It could have been an Eircom modem (if need be), same difference. I really must get further into studying DOCSIS beyond the basic principles. Been a UPC customer for about 9 months now, so it's time to get crackin'!

To me, that concept is still fairly new (also exciting and disturbing at the same time). I had read that they could have enabled it using the DOCSIS WAN config file and SNMP in the months past here on Boards but I only half believed it.

My idea for enabling Bridge mode in the EPC was always DOCSIS independent. It could have been an Eircom modem (if need be), same difference. I really must get further into studying DOCSIS beyond the basic principles. Been a UPC customer for about 9 months now, so it's time to get crackin'!

You can see here my router connected to their WAN and the config file it downloads:

Client Id = htype=255, value=xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx.....
                             State = Bound (5)
                      Static Lease = 0
                   AutoConfig Mode = IP, Subnet and Router
                               XID = 0xxxxxxxxxxx
                   Number of Tries = 0
                Max Discover Tries = 6
                 Max Request Tries = 6
              DHCP server MAC addr = 00:17:10:02:8c:d2
                       Ignore NAKs = 0
     TWC NAK Wait For Lease Expiry = 0
             My offered IP address = 10.76.xx.xx (primary IP address)
                   (1) Subnet Mask = 255.255.192.0
             (3) Router IP address = 10.76.x.x
       (54) DHCP Server IP address = 10.251.224.1
       (82) Relay Agent IP address = 10.251.224.1
    [B]        TFTP Server IP address = 89.101.160.47
             CM Configuration file = 'cm_starter.bin'[/B]
               (2) UTC Time Offset = 3600 seconds
        (4) Time Server IP address = 89.101.160.47
            (6) Domain Name Server = 89.101.160.47; 89.101.160.48
         (7) Log Server IP address = 89.101.160.47
                   (51) Lease time = 422377 seconds
                   (58) T1 (renew) = 211188 seconds
                  (59) T2 (rebind) = 369579 seconds
                 Lease is infinite = 0

You can see here my router connected to their WAN and the config file it downloads:

Client Id = htype=255, value=xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx.....
                             State = Bound (5)
                      Static Lease = 0
                   AutoConfig Mode = IP, Subnet and Router
                               XID = 0xxxxxxxxxxx
                   Number of Tries = 0
                Max Discover Tries = 6
                 Max Request Tries = 6
              DHCP server MAC addr = 00:17:10:02:8c:d2
                       Ignore NAKs = 0
     TWC NAK Wait For Lease Expiry = 0
             My offered IP address = 10.76.xx.xx (primary IP address)
                   (1) Subnet Mask = 255.255.192.0
             (3) Router IP address = 10.76.x.x
       (54) DHCP Server IP address = 10.251.224.1
       (82) Relay Agent IP address = 10.251.224.1
    [B]        TFTP Server IP address = 89.101.160.47
             CM Configuration file = 'cm_starter.bin'[/B]
               (2) UTC Time Offset = 3600 seconds
        (4) Time Server IP address = 89.101.160.47
            (6) Domain Name Server = 89.101.160.47; 89.101.160.48
         (7) Log Server IP address = 89.101.160.47
                   (51) Lease time = 422377 seconds
                   (58) T1 (renew) = 211188 seconds
                  (59) T2 (rebind) = 369579 seconds
                 Lease is infinite = 0

That's awesome. Where did you get a peek at that?

That's awesome. Where did you get a peek at that?

Just connected to telnet interface listening on 192.168.100.1 on the thomson.

Just connected to telnet interface listening on 192.168.100.1 on the thomson.
    Oh I see, sorry, I forgot you were using the Thompson. The EPC3925 doesn't reveal as much as that.

Alot of the routers can if you disconnect, factory reset, and power it on with the cable disconnected. Therefore UPC don't get a chance to lock it down. You can snoop around then and change things, and hope changes don't get reversed when you re-connect.

How did you manage that?

Also what routers are you bridging to ? I would like to install Tomato firmware on some N class router.
    For now I'll be bridging a wrt54gl running ddwrt .... I'll upgrade to a better router in future

How did you manage that?

For now I'll be bridging a wrt54gl running ddwrt .... I'll upgrade to a better router in future

It may be possible to disable residential gateway mode on the TWG870. I will give it a go at the weekend as have to factory reset the router and connect to it while the cable is disconnected and don't wanna disrupt the house mates.

+-------------------------------------+
    | Residential Gateway NonVol Settings |
                   Magic Number = 0x52472e2e 'RG..'
            Version (Permanent) = 0.3
              Version (Dynamic) = 0.22
         Is Default (Permanent) = 0
           Is Default (Dynamic) = 0

Is Manufactured (Permanent) = 1
      Is Manufactured (Dynamic) = 1

Residential Gateway NonVol Settings:

RG Enable Dynamic  = 1
             RG Enable Perm.    = 1
    RG Enable Location 0=Default  1=Perm. 2=Dynamic   ===>  2

RG NonVol Write Enabled 0=NO, 1=YES   ===> 1

• Advertisement

It may be possible to disable residential gateway mode on the TWG870. I will give it a go at the weekend as have to factory reset the router and connect to it while the cable is disconnected and don't wanna disrupt the house mates.

| Residential Gateway NonVol Settings |
                   Magic Number = 0x52472e2e 'RG..'
            Version (Permanent) = 0.3
              Version (Dynamic) = 0.22
         Is Default (Permanent) = 0
           Is Default (Dynamic) = 0

Is Manufactured (Permanent) = 1
      Is Manufactured (Dynamic) = 1

Residential Gateway NonVol Settings:

RG Enable Dynamic  = 1
             RG Enable Perm.    = 1
    RG Enable Location 0=Default  1=Perm. 2=Dynamic   ===>  2

RG NonVol Write Enabled 0=NO, 1=YES   ===> 1

I bootedmine up yesterday and did a factory reset and it was exactly as it always is... couldn't see anything under portbase passthrough.

I bootedmine up yesterday and did a factory reset and it was exactly as it always is... couldn't see anything under portbase passthrough.

Connecting to telnet interface after factory reset, and while disconnected from cable may have some features enabled that's otherwise disabled. We most likely have to disable "residential gateway" mode this way.

They can also log in via telnet and access your web interface to the router :-D

They can also log in via telnet and access your web interface to the router :-D
    Bunch of assholes! Ha. On someone's last day, they could play some major pranks... :pac:

Bunch of assholes! Ha. On someone's last day, they could play some major pranks... :pac:
    HTTP User ID = ''
        HTTP User Password = 'admin'      default login, can change this with web GUI
    [B]         HTTP Admin ID = ''
       HTTP Admin Password = 'aDm1n$TR8r'[/B]     web login, cannot change with web UI, only SNMP and possible DOCSIS config file
             Remote Access User Name = ''
              Remote Access Password = ''
    Remote Access inactivity timeout = '0'
               Telnet Access Enabled = 0
              Telnet IP Stack enable = 0x3 (IP2|IP1)
                  SSH Access Enabled = 0
                 SSH IP Stack enable = 0x3 (IP2|IP1)
                 HTTP Access Enabled = 0
                HTTP IP stack enable = 0x17 (IP5|IP3|IP2|IP1)
       HTTP Advanced IP stack enable = 0x5 (IP3|IP1)
                 HTTP Password Seed = ''
    HTTP Remote IP ACL (emtpy == allow all)::

HTTP Password Idle Timeout = 0
           Exception Logging Enabled = 1

IP stack 1 (IP1) : IP we get from provider DHCP server. Local ip: 10.x.x.x
    IP stack 2 (IP2) :192.168.100.1
    IP stack 3 (IP3) : WAN IP (router most likely restricts where it accepts connections from)
    IP stack 5 (IP5) : 192.168.0.1

Just got my 3925 now , straight into bridge mode no problems , i have a public IP on my PC at the moment while im settingg up the "cable modem"

Just got my 3925 now , straight into bridge mode no problems , i have a public IP on my PC at the moment while im settingg up the "cable modem"

Hope you have firewall enabled :p

Hope you have firewall enabled :p

LOL
    Have my wrt54gl runnig ddrt as my router now , I will purchase a better router in time , but this setup is 10 times better than the thomson or cisco on their own.

LOL
    Have my wrt54gl runnig ddrt as my router now , I will purchase a better router in time , but this setup is 10 times better than the thomson or cisco on their own.

I'm waiting on a call back from UPC technicians so I can ask them if I can swap the TWG870 with the cisco one.

• Advertisement

I'm waiting on a call back from UPC technicians so I can ask them if I can swap the TWG870 with the cisco one.

Just keep telling them the thomson is dropping connection and its crap , they will swap it.

Advertisement