Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Whoa now, wait one second! You disabled DHCP in the EPC3925, right? You don't disable DHCP in the router you're bridging with the EPC3925. You will definitely need it for connecting devices up, unless you manually configure a static IP for each device inside its OS! So you've bridged the EPC3925 with another router, making the EPC3925 nothing more than a modem. Your router will need to take over all routing that the EPC3925 did in the past from DHCP to all your port forwards (if any) / UPnP, etc.

I did disable DHCP in my Belkin as I'm pretty sure that's the only way I can use it as an access point, as I was following these instructions:

http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?rnId=2780

As apparently I have an older router (I don't have the "Use as access point" option) I have to turn DHCP off.

What are my options then? I tried to get back to the router homepage and enable DCHP, but I can't access the belkin router homepage when it is connected to the EPC3925, the 192.168.2.1 address just doesn't work. The bridged 3925 homepage at 192.168.100.1 is no use to me, is it?

My laptop, my brother's laptop and my Xbox have all connected without problems now, but my father's laptop and the PS3 can't connect due to IP address issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Yeah, not a good idea. What you've done is gotten rid of your router, the EPC3925 is no longer a router and neither is your Belkin. I think getting a new device is your best bet. All you've done is set the Belkin to act as an AP to another router, but in your case, there is no other router with DHCP switched on, so the AP feature is just not suitable for the purpose you need it for.

In the "Internet WAN" > "Connection Type" menu, what's located there exactly?

EDIT: What IPs are your computers getting, the ones that are connected fine? 192.168.100.1 is useless at this point, you can't fix anything related to your problem in there. Please answer my question about the "Connection Type" by removing the EPC3925 from the equation temporarily, since it's the only way you can access the Belkin's web interface.

Yeah, not a good idea. What you've done is gotten rid of your router, the EPC3925 is no longer a router and neither is your Belkin. I think getting a new device is your best bet. All you've done is set the Belkin to act as an AP to another router, but in your case, there is no other router with DHCP switched on, so the AP feature is just not suitable for the purpose you need it for.

In the "Internet WAN" > "Connection Type" menu, what's located there exactly?

EDIT: What IPs are your computers getting, the ones that are connected fine? 192.168.100.1 is useless at this point, you can't fix anything related to your problem in there. Please answer my question about the "Connection Type" by removing the EPC3925 from the equation temporarily, since it's the only way you can access the Belkin's web interface.

The computers that are connected are fine. They are getting IP's like 79.97.229.92 (thats the Xbox's one). My father's laptop for example can find the network and join, but I get that little yellow warning triangle over the connection signal.

I'll try find the Internet WAN Connection Type now but I'm having a horrible time trying to get into the Belkin router homepage.

EDIT: As of now, my all 3 laptops we need to connect are connected. What's going on? Is this totally random? It might be that there is a limited amount of devices allowed on at one time and if one joins another gets kicked off, is there any way to avoid this? Can I set up static IP's to keep them all on?

There you go, you've reached the UPC IP limit per client connected. Since your Belkin router is merely an AP now, you'll get a maximum of 3 clients (this was discussed earlier in this thread, apparently UPC has a 3 client limit) with different public IPs from UPC. You are no longer on a NAT, which is why you won't be able to connect any further devices as things stand. That's the point I was trying to make earlier, you'll need to switch the Belkin back into a router and enable DHCP at the very least. However, the Belkin may not be suitable for bridging with a DOCSIS connection. The problem is, it's an ADSL router with an integrated ADSL modem. While some ADSL routers can double up as standalone cable routers, your device doesn't seem to be one of those devices, but I could be wrong!

After you've switched the AP mode off and DHCP back on, hit up the "Internet WAN" > "Connection Type" menu. Then select "Dynamic/Fixed IP (1483 Bridged)" as your connection type and hit Next. Then make sure the "IP assigned by ISP" is set to "Yes" and apply the changes. If that doesn't get the public IP from the EPC3925, then you're out of luck as far as the Belkin is concerned.

I've been reading the manual for your router and I've done my best as far as trying to figure out what the device is capable of:
    http://cache-www.belkin.com/support/dl/pm01527ea_f5d8636-4_uk.pdf (Pages 31 and 33)

Ok, I won't get a chance to give that a try until later tonight, but when I do I'l report back. Once again, thanks so much for your help, your a gent.

Any chance you know the UPC ISP details for when I select "Dynamic/Fixed IP (1483 Bridged)"? I dont know UPC's VPI/VCI or Encapsulation.

• Advertisement

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Ok, I won't get a chance to give that a try until later tonight, but when I do I'l report back. Once again, thanks so much for your help, your a gent.
    Okay, but just remember, I'm not very optimistic about this working. I suspect that it will find Jack Sh1t and you'll have to go back to using the EPC3925 as a router (assuming you'll want all your devices to connect again) until you can purchase a standalone cable router built for the purpose. They come in all shapes and sizes and different price-points, just like ADSL routers do.

If things don't work out with the Belkin and you're prepared to purchase a cable router, tell me your budget and I'll give you as much help as I can.
    Any chance you know the UPC ISP details for when I select "Dynamic/Fixed IP (1483 Bridged)"? I dont know UPC's VPI/VCI or Encapsulation.
    That's one of the reasons why I think your Belkin isn't suited for the job. Those settings are not for a DOCSIS connection, only for DSL.

Ugh, not looking good then.

I'm willing to spend in the region of €75 on a cable router, if possible. Any suggestions are welcome.

Sure. I'll hold off on the cable router "window shopping" until (if) the Belkin is verified as being unsuitable, when you get back to me later.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If your only problem with the Cisco is the wireless range and you're happy with it's routing capabilities then there's nothing stopping you from switching it back to being a router, turn off the wireless on it, and then use the Belkin as a glorified wireless AP. You'll have to turn off the DHCP server on the Belkin and attach it to the Cisco via ethernet ports on each device. Wireless clients will then get their IP addresses from the Cisco.

On the other hand, if you're having problems with the Cisco's routing functionality for whatever reason then you've no choice but to bridge the Cisco as you're doing now and shell out for a proper 'cable' router I'm afraid. You can only go so far recycling old equipment I'm afraid :)

Alun's correct, assuming you're only pissed about the wireless coverage of the EPC and everything else is good in your book, take his advice and save a few bucks for now. Otherwise, the consensus seems to be to get a new cable router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 cmd105

Thanks for your reply DECEiFER, very helpful!

Alun wrote: »
    If your only problem with the Cisco is the wireless range and you're happy with it's routing capabilities then there's nothing stopping you from switching it back to being a router, turn off the wireless on it, and then use the Belkin as a glorified wireless AP. You'll have to turn off the DHCP server on the Belkin and attach it to the Cisco via ethernet ports on each device. Wireless clients will then get their IP addresses from the Cisco.

On the other hand, if you're having problems with the Cisco's routing functionality for whatever reason then you've no choice but to bridge the Cisco as you're doing now and shell out for a proper 'cable' router I'm afraid. You can only go so far recycling old equipment I'm afraid :)
    Thanks for the input! Yeah it really is just the range I'm pissed about. In this house there are 3 laptops, 2 consoles and 2 phones that need wifi access, and the Cisco has the range to satisfy 2 laptops and 1 console, which isn't good enough. The problem with using the Belkin as an AP is that we can't have more than 3 devices on at a time, which won't work, also it actually seems more like 2 devices is the max.

Trying the 1483 Bridge setting now, if that doesn't work I don't mind spending around €75 on a reliable router that will do the job asked of it. Although is Alun suggesting I can get what I'm looking for with the EPC3925 set as normal, just a router with wifi off and the Belkin in AP mode? Will that allow me to connect all the devices and use the Belkin for range?

EDIT: Wow. I feel spectacularly unintelligent. I tried the Bridge 1483 method and as expected nothing worked. So I did what Alun said and I reset the EPC3925 to default, disabled wireless, put the Belkin back in AP mode by switiching off DHCP and that's it. Range to supply everyone with decent speeds. Can't believe that's all I needed to do. I've got 3 laptops online, my Xbox and my iPhone, so it's looking good, if I have any more problems I'll let you know but hopefully this is the last time I post in this thread. Thanks for putting up with me.

Thanks AGAIN to DECEiFER and thanks to Alun for the help lads.

No problem, Alun's suggestion was something I totally overlooked since I figured bridging was the aim and I had my sights locked on to achieving that, so thanks Alun for kicking in there with something more constructive.
    I've got 3 laptops online, my Xbox and my iPhone, so it's looking good
    If I had known that there was an i$hit in the equation, I wouldn't have helped at all. :p

No problem .. sometimes the obvious, is, well, not so obvious :) Glad I could be of help and save you a spot of hard earned cash too!

As a side note I currently have two U.FL to male RP SMA extension leads on order to perform a little experiment with my EPC3925. Those who know what these are will know exactly what I'm trying to do, and I'll report back later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

If I had known that there was an i$hit in the equation, I wouldn't have helped at all. :p

Now thats a proper techy thing to say :D. I haven't met a techy and I mean proper techy/tinkerer that likes ish1ts. QUALITY!

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

As a side note I currently have two U.FL to male RP SMA extension leads on order to perform a little experiment with my EPC3925. Those who know what these are will know exactly what I'm trying to do, and I'll report back later :D

You sneaky mom!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

I didn't see it anywhere in the thread above, but the "bridged" option appears without any hack for me in my EPC3925.
    I switched it on just now without any issue.
    I'm pasting my firmware/hardware revs here in case they're relevant:
    ==============================
    Model: Cisco EPC3925
    Vendor: Cisco
    Hardware Revision: 1.0
    Serial Number: 246808627
    MAC Address: xxxxxxxxxxx
    Bootloader Revision: 2.3.0_R1
    Current Software Revision: epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125533-110830c_upc
    Firmware Name: epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125533-110830c_upc.bin
    Firmware Build Time: Aug 30 11:09:31 2011
    Cable Modem Status: Operational
    Wireless Network: Disable
    ==================================

I didn't see it anywhere in the thread above, but the "bridged" option appears without any hack for me in my EPC3925.
    I switched it on just now without any issue.
    I'm pasting my firmware/hardware revs here in case they're relevant:
    ==============================
    Model: Cisco EPC3925
    Vendor: Cisco
    Hardware Revision: 1.0
    Serial Number: 246808627
    MAC Address: xxxxxxxxxxx
    Bootloader Revision: 2.3.0_R1
    Current Software Revision: epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125533-110830c_upc
    Firmware Name: epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125533-110830c_upc.bin
    Firmware Build Time: Aug 30 11:09:31 2011
    Cable Modem Status: Operational
    Wireless Network: Disable
    ==================================
    They would be relevant, but they're exactly the same. That's very very strange...

Just to reiterate mine:
    Model:	Cisco EPC3925
    Vendor:	Cisco
    Hardware Revision:	1.0
    Serial Number:	xxxxxxxxx
    MAC Address:	xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    Bootloader Revision:	2.3.0_R1
    Current Software Revision:	epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125533-110830c_upc
    Firmware Name:	epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125533-110830c_upc.bin
    Firmware Build Time:	 Aug 30 11:09:31 2011
    Cable Modem Status:	Operational
    Wireless Network:	Disable

Is there anyone else in the same position?

EDIT: Also, heavydawson, when did you get the EPC3925? I don't know if it matters, but this is certainly worth a little investigation, so just trying to get all the relevant facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

They would be relevant, but they're exactly the same. That's very very strange...

Just to reiterate mine:

EDIT: Also, heavydawson, when did you get the EPC3925? I don't know if it matters, but this is certainly worth a little investigation, so just trying to get all the relevant facts.

Very interesting!!!

I just checked mine... option is now available, without the HTML hack being performed....

DECEiFER, I reckon you've stuck it to them. ;)

• Advertisement

roast wrote: »
    Very interesting!!!

I just checked mine... option is now available, without the HTML hack being performed....

DECEiFER, I reckon you've stuck it to them. ;)
    Ha, quite possibly. Was it previously not available for you, roast (I know the EPC3925 is a new replacement for you)? I'll check mine out a bit later, can't get offline at the moment to make the switch back to Router mode. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Ha, quite possibly. Was it previously not available for you, roast (I know the EPC3925 is a new replacement for you)? I'll check mine out a bit later, can't get offline at the moment to make the switch back to Router mode. :)

Nope, definitely not available previously.

Well I'll be damned! I have the option also and to make sure it wasn't my doing from any temporary changes made in Opera, I went to look at it in a different browser.

Here's mine in Chromium:
    epc3925bridgenowavilabl.th.png

Question is, when, why, and why the f*ck not before?!

At any rate, as long as it's here to stay, that's all that's important. I guess this topic could have a changed focus towards helping people setup their network as a whole rather than the original sole purpose of just getting their EPC3925 devices into Bridge mode.

Hmm, it's on mine too, although I have to confess I never went looking for it to be honest, so it could have always been there. Only got it a week or so ago.

Just also to note, the Management page has been amended when in Bridge mode. Prior to my switching back to Router mode just 5 minutes ago, this was definitely not there. But after switching back to Bridge mode in the last minute, the page now looks like this:

epc3925backtoroutermode.th.png

So you have a good way of switching back and there's no more need to amend the HTML code in Opera or otherwise for switching to either mode.
    Hmm, it's on mine too, although I have to confess I never went looking for it to be honest, so it could have always been there. Only got it a week or so ago.
    A week ago? It's possible... It definitely wasn't there 3 weeks ago, that's for sure!

Just remember:
    The advice still stands from the first instruction of the guide in the first post. Turn off Wireless and some other routing functions (for safety) as Wireless will continue to be active in Bridge mode when it hasn't been turned off prior to switching. UPC may have added the drop-down option instead of you having to add it yourself, but this changes nothing else that I have noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭lotas

Not sure if its something that's rolling out over time, but my interface shows the following:

adminpage.png

Both my modems are the same...

lotas wrote: »
    Not sure if its something that's rolling out over time, but my interface shows the following:

admin-page.PNG

Both my modems are the same...
    Turn it back into Router mode first and then you *should* see the change effected. You're in the same position as I was before I changed mine back this morning. When you go back into Bridge mode, then you *should* have the option in place of a blank Management page.

A reboot of the router would also probably work. I'm assuming all it must do is reconnect with UPC to download a new DOCSIS config file which instructs the device to show the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭lotas

Thanks. will try that later on and see what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Just to reiterate mine:

I picked it up on Sept 29th after requesting an upgrade from my existing connection. I had arranged to upgrade with UPC earlier that week. I self-installed it.

• Advertisement

I picked it up on Sept 29th after requesting an upgrade from my existing connection. I had arranged to upgrade with UPC earlier that week. I self-installed it.
    Cool. Did you also notice if the option was there on September 29?

Advertisement