Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

dub45 wrote: »
    Definitely.
    Indubitably :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

thanks guys. thats alot of stress off my back. now to read over the instructions 50 times because i may aswell be reading japanese lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 silviu001

MarkY91,

if you can set your router in bridge mode would you be kind to send me your configuration file (just set a simple login password, remove WiFi passphrase and backup your configuration file; all these after you set your router in bridge mode) maybe so you could help the other to still have bridge-mode although the new firmware denies its activation.

I am trying something (to load a configuration file that has the bridge mode active on a firmware that denied its activation) and I am curious if it works.

Thanks,

Silviu.

silviu001 wrote: »
    MarkY91,

if you can set your router in bridge mode would you be kind to send me your configuration file (just set a simple login password, remove WiFi passphrase and backup your configuration file; all these after you set your router in bridge mode) maybe so you could help the other to still have bridge-mode although the new firmware denies its activation.

I am trying something (to load a configuration file that has the bridge mode active on a firmware that denied its activation) and I am curious if it works.

Thanks,

Silviu.

ill try my best. im not really educated in this router stuff so ill just follow the guide as best as i can and then try get you this configuration file

when i go to copy the code form the pastebin link on opera, i right click the managment source code page and have NO option to paste..i just dont know what to do now :S

also..when i click on disable wireless network..the page refreshes and is back to enable :( ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

MarkY91 wrote: »
    when i go to copy the code form the pastebin link on opera, i right click the managment source code page and have NO option to paste..i just dont know what to do now :S

also..when i click on disable wireless network..the page refreshes and is back to enable :( ??
    You need Opera 12. The newer versions of Opera are using the same engine as Google Chrome (Blink).

http://www.opera.com/download/guide/?os=windows&ver=12.16&local=y

DECEiFER wrote: »
    You need Opera 12. The newer versions of Opera are using the same engine as Google Chrome (Blink).

http://www.opera.com/download/guide/?os=windows&ver=12.16&local=y

thanks alot. ill download it now. hopefully i get it done this time

thanks alot. ill download it now. hopefully i get it done this time
    Good luck and let us know if it still works. Mine continues to display the option officially since October 2012.

Good luck and let us know if it still works. Mine continues to display the option officially since October 2012.

i got it into bridge mode. on the 3925 page, most of the options and settings are gone. i cannot get onto my netgears page no matter what i try. i am surfing the net fine though? i notice no increase in results on speedtest.net either

how can i get onto my netgears page to mess with settings? i didnt even put it into bridge mode so im totally confused here..and yes..i am an average joe doing this for the first time :P

i got it into bridge mode. on the 3925 page, most of the options and settings are gone. i cannot get onto my netgears page no matter what i try. i am surfing the net fine though? i notice no increase in results on speedtest.net either

how can i get onto my netgears page to mess with settings? i didnt even put it into bridge mode so im totally confused here..and yes..i am an average joe doing this for the first time :P
    The Netgear will remain as is, in router mode. The EPC in bridge mode will be your modem and the Netgear will be your router.

Typing ipconfig in the Command Prompt, what does it say is your Default Gateway? You need to be plugged into the Netgear, mind you, while the Netgear (WAN port) goes into the EPC (use any of the 4 Ethernet ports).

If your Default Gateway is, for example, 192.168.0.1, that's what you use. To get into the EPC, as you likely know already, it's 192.168.100.1. Having no settings on the Management page is normal, except in cases where you have a Working Mode menu show up without needing to inject HTML (like I do - some people do, some people don't).

• Advertisement

The Netgear will remain as is, in router mode. The EPC in bridge mode will be your modem and the Netgear will be your router.

Typing ipconfig in the Command Prompt, what does it say is your Default Gateway? You need to be plugged into the Netgear, mind you, while the Netgear (WAN port) goes into the EPC (use any of the 4 Ethernet ports).

If your Default Gateway is, for example, 192.168.0.1, that's what you use. To get into the EPC, as you likely know already, it's 192.168.100.1. Having no settings on the Management page is normal, except in cases where you have a Working Mode menu show up without needing to inject HTML (like I do - some people do, some people don't).

i connected to the netgear router via ethernet now im ocnnected via wifi..i thinks its done but ill google betgear n600 optimization tips later...hopefully i dont get kicked out of ps3 games no more over weird connection issues :)

thanks for the help!

i connected to the netgear router via ethernet now im ocnnected via wifi..i thinks its done but ill google betgear n600 optimization tips later...hopefully i dont get kicked out of ps3 games no more over weird connection issues :)

thanks for the help!
    Ah yeah, an N600 router by Netgear will do nicely. You'll be grand for the PS3 but I'd still check into why you're unable to connect to the router interface, whether it's a mistaken IP you're using or something else. Just try to get into the web interface would be my advice and you can always spend time optimizing it later. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get in if you'd always been able to before hooking it up to the EPC, so just check the IP and if that doesn't work, maybe a hard reset at the back of the Netgear will help (the default settings should also be sufficient for obtaining a public IP from the EPC - but you should set the NAT Filtering to Open in the WAN Setup menu, if the option is available).

Ah yeah, an N600 router by Netgear will do nicely. You'll be grand for the PS3 but I'd still check into why you're unable to connect to the router interface, whether it's a mistaken IP you're using or something else. Just try to get into the web interface would be my advice and you can always spend time optimizing it later. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get in if you'd always been able to before hooking it up to the EPC, so just check the IP and if that doesn't work, maybe a hard reset at the back of the Netgear will help (the default settings should also be sufficient for obtaining a public IP from the EPC - but you should set the NAT Filtering to Open in the WAN Setup menu, if the option is available).

i got into the interface. i updated the firmware and enabled upnp. cheers for the help

i got into the interface. i updated the firmware and enabled upnp. cheers for the help
    No troubles. Don't forget the NAT Filtering setting if it's applicable (it is in my Netgear WNDR3700), very important for console gaming, just like having the correct ports forwarded (either manually or using UPnP).

No troubles. Don't forget the NAT Filtering setting if it's applicable (it is in my Netgear WNDR3700), very important for console gaming, just like having the correct ports forwarded (either manually or using UPnP).

i couldnt find the NAT filtering setting in WAN settigns :( i have been useless at forwarding ports over the years and static ip confuses me. i never succeeded to understand it all

its my first ever non UPC router so il give it a go tomorrow. but vyeah, i have UPnP enabled so hopefully that will do the trick if i cant figure out the whole forwarding/static ip stuff :)

i couldnt find the NAT filtering setting in WAN settigns :( i have been useless at forwarding ports over the years and static ip confuses me. i never succeeded to understand it all

its my first ever non UPC router so il give it a go tomorrow. but vyeah, i have UPnP enabled so hopefully that will do the trick if i cant figure out the whole forwarding/static ip stuff :)
    You might be grand, so. It's not a setting on all Netgears but it also could be worded differently. Just give the PS3 (wrong console, by the way! :)) a go and see how it fares out. UPnP should be grand, I've nothing special forwarded for my 360. Good luck again.

You might be grand, so. It's not a setting on all Netgears but it also could be worded differently. Just give the PS3 (wrong console, by the way! :)) a go and see how it fares out. UPnP should be grand, I've nothing special forwarded for my 360. Good luck again.

maybe 360 is popular but i trust youll make the right decision and buy a PS4 over xbox 1 though ;). thanks for the help :)

i set the NAT to open...stupid me didnt see it. what does this do for gaming may i ask?

i set the NAT to open...stupid me didnt see it. what does this do for gaming may i ask?
    This is the easiest explanation I've read on it:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100122054527AAjTvJl

You are sacrificing security for functionality but the flipside is you'd be sacrificing functionality for security. You have to draw the line somewhere. Consoles work best with an Open NAT so I'd stick with that. I've been on one for years and on my desktop I just use Windows Firewall and ESET NOD32 (whatever the latest version happens to be - it really is a marvel). I haven't had a problem with it so I wouldn't worry. It's not as nearly as insecure as directly connecting to the web via a modem with all your ports open or via a router with your computer in the DMZ (also all ports open).

Also, I am mostly a PC gamer, I got the 360 just for GTA V as I couldn't wait for it to be ported to PC. :)

But that said, I would buy an Xbox One (I wouldn't only for Microsoft listening to the outlash at all their closed DRM-esque features and reversing their decisions - but they did listen in fairness and now I believe both consoles are able to compete properly).

This is the easiest explanation I've read on it:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100122054527AAjTvJl

You are sacrificing security for functionality but the flipside is you'd be sacrificing functionality for security. You have to draw the line somewhere. Consoles work best with an Open NAT so I'd stick with that. I've been on one for years and on my desktop I just use Windows Firewall and ESET NOD32 (whatever the latest version happens to be - it really is a marvel). I haven't had a problem with it so I wouldn't worry. It's not as nearly as insecure as directly connecting to the web via a modem with all your ports open or via a router with your computer in the DMZ (also all ports open).

Also, I am mostly a PC gamer, I got the 360 just for GTA V as I couldn't wait for it to be ported to PC. :)

But that said, I would buy an Xbox One (I wouldn't only for Microsoft listening to the outlash at all their closed DRM-esque features and reversing their decisions - but they did listen in fairness and now I believe both consoles are able to compete properly).

ill have a read now and a look into the ESET NOD32 now. do with the NAT set to open, i will get NAT type 1 instead of my usual NAT type 2? excellent :)

• Advertisement

ill have a read now and a look into the ESET NOD32 now. do with the NAT set to open, i will get NAT type 1 instead of my usual NAT type 2? excellent :)
    I'm not sure how it works on a PS3 but I guess it would switch to Type 1, you should try it, it's definitely the way to go for online gaming. The Xbox used to say "Moderate" or "Open" but nowadays on the newer firmware it just says if it can connect to Live! or not without any of the terminology.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

MarkY91.

Why did you bridge your EPC3925 via the HTML hack? Did your firmware not have a Bridging option in its menu?

Thats how I did mine. Simply 1 step process. Selecting Bridging mode instead of router mode from the drop down menu.

Calibos wrote: »
    MarkY91.

Why did you bridge your EPC3925 via the HTML hack? Did your firmware not have a Bridging option in its menu?

Thats how I did mine. Simply 1 step process. Selecting Bridging mode instead of router mode from the drop down menu.
    For whatever reason and we've encountered it on this thread a number of times, some EPC3925 devices still don't have the option. It could be the DOCSIS config file but the firmware in this case has nothing to do with it. For people in that position, the HTML injection is the way to go, so at least it's a good fallback as when I began this thread, we were all in that boat.

Calibos wrote: »
    MarkY91.

i was told tha the HTML hack is the only way to not disable the homephone(mum insists on having it) so i had no choice. i got it working fine in the end anyway :)

i was told tha the HTML hack is the only way to not disable the homephone(mum insists on having it) so i had no choice. i got it working fine in the end anyway :)
    The phone problem was with the older EPC devices. The phone on the EPC3925 works just fine whether you use the HTML injection or not. The difference between having to use it or not is whether the HTML code is present. The method itself is identical on both our devices in spite of mine having the HTML code present without having to inject it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lukapple

Hi guys.
    I'm running IPsec VPN server behind my Cisco router-modem EPC3925.
    Problem is that modem is blocking IPsec packets even if I disable firewall and enable VPN passthrough mode. I can see that under "Security -> VPN -> view log", there are messages like:
    "Bad IKE packet received ..."

It would probably work if I switch modem to "bridge mode", but problem is that HTTP injection method doesn't work for me.
    When I select bridge mode and click on save settings, I get "FORBIDDEN" error.

EPC3925 is running on firmware epc3925-ESIP-16-v302r125573-130625c.

Any workaround for this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Mines epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125561-120727c_upc with a July 27th 2012 firmware build date.

I wonder if asked would they 'Push' that firmware to your EPC3925

I swear to jaysus, if they upgrade my firmware to yours at any point I'll bite off my own nose to spite my face and cancel them completely. They'll lose about €170 a month from our family. Was getting several disconnections a day and 60-80mbit speeds on our 100mbit package till I bridged my EPC3925 and bought an Asus RT-N66U router. Zero downtime and 105/10mbit 24/7 since bridging in July.

Lukapple wrote: »
    Hi guys.
    I'm running IPsec VPN server behind my Cisco router-modem EPC3925.
    Problem is that modem is blocking IPsec packets even if I disable firewall and enable VPN passthrough mode. I can see that under "Security -> VPN -> view log", there are messages like:
    "Bad IKE packet received ..."

It would probably work if I switch modem to "bridge mode", but problem is that HTTP injection method doesn't work for me.
    When I select bridge mode and click on save settings, I get "FORBIDDEN" error.

EPC3925 is running on firmware epc3925-ESIP-16-v302r125573-130625c.

Any workaround for this ?
    We've seen this before on devices in other UPC territories. Are you in Ireland or elsewhere, given that the firmware is different to what's on pretty much all Irish devices (epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125561-120727c_upc)? I don't think there's anything that can be done, the last person to post such an error just contacted UPC and asked them to set it into bridge mode and they did it for him no problem (in Romania), if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lesa84

I had to inject this code in html to get working mode option but when I change it to bridge and click save I am getting 403 forbidden page? I changed a little bit of a code.

<div style="" id="WorkingMode">
    <table class="std">
    <tbody><tr>
    <td width="95" nowrap="">
    <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">dw(vbcontype2);</script>Working mode:
    </td>
    <td>
    <select onchange="selectWorkingMode()" id="working_mode" size="1" name="working_mode">
    <option name="router" value=0><script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">dw(vbcontype4);</script>Router
    <option name="bridged" value=1><script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">dw(vbcontype5);</script>Bridge
    </option></select>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </tbody></table>
    </div>

• Advertisement

lesa84 wrote: »
    I had to inject this code in html to get working mode option but when I change it to bridge and click save I am getting 403 forbidden page? I changed a little bit of a code.

<div style="" id="WorkingMode">
    <table class="std">
    <tbody><tr>
    <td width="95" nowrap="">
    <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">dw(vbcontype2);</script>Working mode:
    </td>
    <td>
    <select onchange="selectWorkingMode()" id="working_mode" size="1" name="working_mode">
    <option name="router" value=0><script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">dw(vbcontype4);</script>Router
    <option name="bridged" value=1><script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">dw(vbcontype5);</script>Bridge
    </option></select>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </tbody></table>
    </div>
    From what I've seen this only works on certain firmwares rolled out in certain countries. So far I've only known it to work on UPC Ireland's firmware. Are you in Ireland, and if so, what firmware version are you running?

Advertisement