Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 6 Megathread - All iOS 6 discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

eorpach wrote: »
    The native Youtube App is also going...but its already been replaced by an improved one that went live last week in the App Store (few useful features missing from it though - like 'history').

Seems like a very petty attempt at having a stab at Google really, particularly considering Google are just releasing app store equivalents...?

I am by no means a 'fanboy' but as much as I like their products, Apple are really turning me off with much of the activities of late. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

dorkacle wrote: »
    The native Youtube App is also going...but its already been replaced by an improved one that went live last week in the App Store (few useful features missing from it though - like 'history').

Seems like a very petty attempt at having a stab at Google really, particularly considering Google are just releasing app store equivalents...?

I am by no means a 'fanboy' but as much as I like their products, Apple are really turning me off with much of the activities of late. :(

Well in fairness Google are now a major competitor to Apple in the market so why should they promote them?

I'm sure there will be a new Google Maps App soon anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Can anybody who is now using iOS6 comment on the new Maps App? I've read that its particularly lacking in detail for Ireland. Annoying too is the removal of Google Streetview in iOS6. I found Streetview a very handy feature for identifying addresses/shops that I hadn't been to before.

The maps lack detail. They also have accuracy problems. Dublin Zoo is on Exchequer Street, the Lighthouse Cinema is in Church Square, etc. Looking at my own area in the Dublin suburbs, there's barely an detail at all and what little there is is a joke. Take away restaurants, florists, etc in the middle of housing estates, no where near their actual location, incorrect street names and so on. There's just no way you could trust it.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Can anybody who is now using iOS6 comment on the new Maps App? I've read that its particularly lacking in detail for Ireland. Annoying too is the removal of Google Streetview in iOS6. I found Streetview a very handy feature for identifying addresses/shops that I hadn't been to before.

Flyover (3D) view on Apple Maps works between the canals in Dublin, but thats it. Google Maps is much better for the moment.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Hmm is it worth updating?
    My 4G iPod is still on 4.3.1 ;) jailbroken so I never bothered updating. I'll need a Google Maps app as soon as possible haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ehcocmeo

The maps lack detail. They also have accuracy problems. Dublin Zoo is on Exchequer Street, the Lighthouse Cinema is in Church Square, etc. Looking at my own area in the Dublin suburbs, there's barely an detail at all and what little there is is a joke. Take away restaurants, florists, etc in the middle of housing estates, no where near their actual location, incorrect street names and so on. There's just no way you could trust it.

Loads of Map apps you can buy. TomTom is really good. Not bothered about the apple maps app... probably will get better over time. atleast its free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Will the removal off google maps affect the Nike+ running app?

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Hmm is it worth updating?
    My 4G iPod is still on 4.3.1 ;) jailbroken so I never bothered updating. I'll need a Google Maps app as soon as possible haha

Why did you never update to IOS5 to make use of iMessage etc and Jailbreak again?

Tis a matter of opinion about whether update is worth it or not. Having used the GM version on phone for a week and Beta on iPad 2 for a couple of months I would say no, but thats just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Apple's maps are an absolute disaster! I think I may have to hold off upgrading my iPhone until Google release a standalone app. The web version isn't an acceptable alternative and I have a funny feeling Google might delay the app as long as possible. I would strongly encourage anyone who relies on the Maps app to think twice before upgrading.

Seriously that bad ? That's worse than expected! Stay on iOS5 for me so!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

All finished. Very smooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Yeah Maps is dreadful So bad on details. Where I used to search my location and it would show a clear enough arial shot it now is blurred and hard to make out. Can't test any other features as i'm on the iPhone 4 and limited. Once the iPad 3 is updated i'll check it all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dannyc1

Finally downloaded, only took an hour and a half :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Seriously that bad ? That's worse than expected! Stay on iOS5 for me so!

It'll be grand once Google release their standalone app. In fact, it will probably be better. Apple's old app was lacking a lot of Google Maps features. How bad the new maps end up being for users (and Apple) really depends on how long Google decide to wait to release their app.

It's hard to say whether the end of the Google Maps licensing agreement was Apple or Google's doing. Apple was almost certainly planning to drop Google anyway, but you have to wonder if Google decided to pull the plug early or refused to renew the agreement, knowing that Apple's own offering wouldn't be ready. But in all likelihood it was probably Apple wadding into yet another area they have limited experience in. I preferred it when Apple and Google got along.

Having said that, I don't think it's incumbent on Apple to provide a free, top of the line mapping service with their devices. As the new Youtube app shows, it's better if Google take care of the apps for their own services. We don't need everything to be integrated. But the replacement of Google Maps with Apple's own mapping is a downgrade whatever way you look at it. (Although the 3D is kinda cool.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

any point putting this on my ipad 2?

punchdrunk wrote: »

Having put the Beta version on my iPad 2 a while back I say no. You lose Google Maps and you dont get the benefits of Siri updates or do not disturb etc. i do like the new App Store though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

punchdrunk wrote: »

just putting it on my sisters iPad 2 as we speak.

Downloading now.

UPC ftw 5 mins!

kceire wrote: »

Using sister as a guinea pig - Good stuff :-)

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    Using sister as a guinea pig - Good stuff :-)

She'll still be the same afterwards!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    Having put the Beta version on my iPad 2 a while back I say no. You lose Google Maps and you dont get the benefits of Siri updates or do not disturb etc. i do like the new App Store though.

I don't think I've ever used the maps on my ipad to be honest,would that be the deciding factor?
    kceire wrote: »

great,would love you to report back on how it goes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

A load of app updates for iOS 6 compatibility are coming through now (Apple's own apps from what I can see.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

Anyone else having difficulty accessing the app store? Do you think its cos the servers are getting a battering?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

iPad wifi seems to be a lot quicker since download ??

Also - where is passbook - no icon available ? Is it in irl download ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    Will the removal off google maps affect the Nike+ running app?

It doesn't seem to have. I've just put it on phone and there is mapping on the routes from my old runs (haven't done a run since I updated)

Andip wrote: »

I think that's an app you have to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

Andip wrote: »

Passbook appeared straight away. Appeared on the main screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think that's an app you have to download.

The passbook app was there when I turned on the after downloading

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Zhane wrote: »
    Passbook appeared straight away. Appeared on the main screen.

Dd you update an iPhone or iPad - I wonder is it iPhone only as it didn't appear on my iPad & iPhone is taking an age to install

The passbook app was there when I turned on the after downloading

Grand, I was just guessing.

Now realise the other person has an iPad and I thnk it's an iPhone app only.

You wouldn't use your iPad as a boarding card after all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Wow! Siri delivers locally. Taxi companies near me, restauraunts, sports. Maps are crap alright.

Advertisement