Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it acceptable for a teacher?

Options
24567

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger


    marienbad wrote: »
    What does humiliation teach ? Would you tolerate it in the workplace for example ?

    What is humiliating about facing the wall ? Is extra homework also humiliating ? detention ? jeeepers... you can turn ANYthing into a humiliation if you chose.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan


    If your child behaves this won't happen again, so why make an issue out of it? It was only 35/40 minutes of her life, so it's not like it was a huge waste of a learning opportunity. And calling it a 'humiliation' is a bit rich IMO. I don't think she'll be scarred forever or anything.


  • Registered Users Posts: 28 tap


    I think the OP is like many parents today. Everybody knows their rights but not their responsibilities. Your child was laughing in class and disturbing teaching time. Why are you not asking your child why she was disturbing the teacher's teaching time. This is what erodes teaching time in class and drives teachers bananas. When I was young if I did this and it came home to my father I would get a kick up the hole. I learnt my lesson. Too many parents cant discipline their own children, one of the most important things a parent can give to a child.

    The WHOLE class laughed but you have failed to read that. I send my child to school to get an education not to be made a fool of, and face a wall. So the whole class disturbed teaching time?
    I spoke with the year head on the phone and she lied to me on the phone.


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,940 ✭✭✭✭listermint


    tap wrote: »
    The WHOLE class laughed but you have failed to read that. I send my child to school to get an education not to be made a fool of, and face a wall. So the whole class disturbed teaching time?
    I spoke with the year head on the phone and she lied to me on the phone.

    Okay so you took your childs word that the WHOLE class laughed, take a step back, take a deep breath and get on with it.

    I as many other children did would tell their parents anything to make the situation less 'my fault'. Saying that everyone else was in on it would be the first step in my chain of white lies.

    You need to tell your child to get on with their work, and leave this MINISCULE incident behind. Making something out of nothing is ridiculous at this stage.


  • Registered Users Posts: 28 tap


    If your child behaves this won't happen again, so why make an issue out of it? It was only 35/40 minutes of her life, so it's not like it was a huge waste of a learning opportunity. And calling it a 'humiliation' is a bit rich IMO. I don't think she'll be scarred forever or anything.

    Wow I hope you are never in a situation where you laugh with a GROUP of people.

    Where did I say anything about Humiliation?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 tap


    listermint wrote: »
    Okay so you took your childs word that the WHOLE class laughed, take a step back, take a deep breath and get on with it.

    I as many other children did would tell their parents anything to make the situation less 'my fault'. Saying that everyone else was in on it would be the first step in my chain of white lies.

    You need to tell your child to get on with their work, and leave this MINISCULE incident behind. Making something out of nothing is ridiculous at this stage.

    I'm far from stupid I know children will tell lies. It is not making something out of nothing.

    Jeez it doesn't take long for the Teacher worshipers to come out of the woodwork


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,940 ✭✭✭✭listermint


    tap wrote: »
    I'm far from stupid I know children will tell lies. It is not making something out of nothing.

    Jeez it doesn't take long for the Teacher worshipers to come out of the woodwork

    Teacher worshippers? Ive no worship for teachers in any sense. What i do have is experience of community schooling. I could tell you which teachers that were doing a useless job, i could tell you the ones that instilled a correct amount of terror in 'young adults' and you knew which classes not to take the piss in.

    I also knew the edgits that would come out of school with nothing gained and when i look around me now i see the same people in a job im sure they hate and wishing they had gone on to college or elsewhere when they were too busy knowing it all and laughing their heads off.

    So i urge you to get on with it, have your child brush this aside put their head down and get back to education. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill and taking something that was trivial too personal.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig


    I would argue that if a teacher has to instil a sense of terror into the children then they need to choose a different profession. I am waiting for the ‘Sure My teacher useta bate me around the place and it never did me any harm’.


    Admittedly we have far from the full story here but even still it is a stupid punishment that benefits noone. I remember one teacher we had used to hand out 100 lines for the slightest thing. Even at 14 years old I could see what a waste of time it was and it did not make me any better at Irish which is what she should have been teaching me.


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,940 ✭✭✭✭listermint


    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I would argue that if a teacher has to instil a sense of terror into the children then they need to choose a different profession. I am waiting for the ‘Sure My teacher useta bate me around the place and it never did me any harm’.


    Admittedly we have far from the full story here but even still it is a stupid punishment that benefits noone. I remember one teacher we had used to hand out 100 lines for the slightest thing. Even at 14 years old I could see what a waste of time it was and it did not make me any better at Irish which is what she should have been teaching me.

    No this particular teacher was both the one that could instantly quieten a class, (and we knew not to take the piss) but was also one of everyones favourite teachers..

    explain that one away ...........


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb


    This topic reminds me why I never became a teacher


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan


    tap wrote: »
    Wow I hope you are never in a situation where you laugh with a GROUP of people.

    Where did I say anything about Humiliation?

    Someone else said it was humiliating to the child, which I disagree with.

    I think you are making a mountain out of molehill here. There are times every child needs their parents to defend them, but this really isn't one of those. Calling for an inquest at the school will achieve nothing. It's no wonder teachers don't have the time to be setting additional work as a punishment instead of telling a child to face a wall when they have to deal with this sort of daftness. Even if your child was not in the wrong in this instance they will forget the whole thing fast enough if you don't make more of a fuss than you already have.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis


    tap wrote: »
    The WHOLE class laughed but you have failed to read that. I send my child to school to get an education not to be made a fool of, and face a wall. So the whole class disturbed teaching time?
    I spoke with the year head on the phone and she lied to me on the phone.

    Everyone's out of step except my Janey.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad


    Someone else said it was humiliating to the child, which I disagree with.

    I think you are making a mountain out of molehill here. There are times every child needs their parents to defend them, but this really isn't one of those. Calling for an inquest at the school will achieve nothing. It's no wonder teachers don't have the time to be setting additional work as a punishment instead of telling a child to face a wall when they have to deal with this sort of daftness. Even if your child was not in the wrong in this instance they will forget the whole thing fast enough if you don't make more of a fuss than you already have.

    It is humiliating to the child - why else do it ?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant


    tap wrote: »
    Jeez it doesn't take long for the Teacher worshipers to come out of the woodwork

    So basically, if people don't agree with you they are teacher worshippers? Well, that is a mature attitude.

    What was your daughter doing to get taken out of the class? All you have said is that she was laughing. What was she laughing at? Was it disruptive to the class? In what way did the year head lie to you on the phone?


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan


    marienbad wrote: »
    It is humiliating to the child - why else do it ?

    So that you can continue teaching the class without distraction, maybe?


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad


    So that you can continue teaching the class without distraction, maybe?

    So why make the child face the wall ?


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious


    While admittedly we only have one side of the story here, I don't think making a child face the wall is an appropriate thing to do when they have been put into your class for something that happened in another class, let alone something which had happened the previous day.

    Facing the wall is a very odd thing to make a child do - were they also distracting the class they had been put into?

    Regardless I suppose, I think it's a very strange sort of punishment in this day and age. I wouldn't get away with it if I tried it in the school I work in.


  • Registered Users Posts: 28 tap


    Someone else said it was humiliating to the child, which I disagree with.

    I think you are making a mountain out of molehill here. There are times every child needs their parents to defend them, but this really isn't one of those. Calling for an inquest at the school will achieve nothing. It's no wonder teachers don't have the time to be setting additional work as a punishment instead of telling a child to face a wall when they have to deal with this sort of daftness. Even if your child was not in the wrong in this instance they will forget the whole thing fast enough if you don't make more of a fuss than you already have.

    calling for inquest lol


  • Registered Users Posts: 25 gorrillafrier


    Teachers have a hard enough job without having to deal with unruly students. Students who are in class to learn should be given every chance without having to put up with other attention seekers who won't accept their punishment and then get their parents to come in and defend them.
    Young students are not fully grown adults yet, if they were, would their parents be coming into the teacher to defend their child.


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,940 ✭✭✭✭listermint


    marienbad wrote: »
    It is humiliating to the child - why else do it ?

    There is a stark difference between humiliation and embarassing. Do you write for the Enquirer or the daily mail by any chance ???


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 tap


    mitosis wrote: »
    Everyone's out of step except my Janey.

    Never said my daughter didn't laugh, However the whole class laughed so fair is fair.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant


    tap wrote: »
    Never said my daughter didn't laugh, However the whole class laughed so fair is fair.

    What was she laughing at?


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,940 ✭✭✭✭listermint


    tap wrote: »
    Never said my daughter didn't laugh, However the whole class laughed so fair is fair.

    according to her...


  • Registered Users Posts: 28 tap


    Teachers have a hard enough job without having to deal with unruly students. Students who are in class to learn should be given every chance without having to put up with other attention seekers who won't accept their punishment and then get their parents to come in and defend them.
    Young students are not fully grown adults yet, if they were, would their parents be coming into the teacher to defend their child.


    If they find it so hard to teach maybe they shouldn't? Obviously children need defending.
    Its attitudes like yours that make teachers think they are above the law


  • Registered Users Posts: 28 tap


    reprazant wrote: »
    What was she laughing at?

    Actually I have heard from four other students so put that in your pipe and smoke it :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,940 ✭✭✭✭listermint


    tap wrote: »
    If they find it so hard to teach maybe they shouldn't? Obviously children need defending.
    Its attitudes like yours that make teachers think they are above the law

    what law ?

    What are you talking about? And why do children need defending is there some form of mass discrimination against children in school?

    I think youve lost the run of it now.


  • Registered Users Posts: 28 tap


    reprazant wrote: »
    What was she laughing at?

    Someone said something funny, class laughed some laughed louder than others


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant


    tap wrote: »
    Actually I have heard from four other students so put that in your pipe and smoke it :)

    What the hell? :confused:

    Are you the parent or the student?

    Did somebody crack a joke or were they laughing at somebody? I find it very bizarre that if the whole classed laughed at a joke, only 3 were singled out and punished.

    I am shocked that her friends stood up for her when you queried it.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig


    listermint wrote: »
    No this particular teacher was both the one that could instantly quieten a class, (and we knew not to take the piss) but was also one of everyones favourite teachers..

    explain that one away ...........

    I think a teacher who commands respect is different to someone who puts the fear of God into your heart. Some of the vindictive p***ks who taught me would never be worthy of respect whereas others were super teachers


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 tap


    listermint wrote: »
    what law ?

    What are you talking about? And why do children need defending is there some form of mass discrimination against children in school?

    I think youve lost the run of it now.

    Wow you are so right :/ Occasionally a child will need defending, stop reading too much into it


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement