Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it acceptable for a teacher?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tap

mitosis wrote: »
    Everyone's out of step except my Janey.

Never said my daughter didn't laugh, However the whole class laughed so fair is fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

tap wrote: »
    Never said my daughter didn't laugh, However the whole class laughed so fair is fair.

What was she laughing at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,142 ✭✭✭✭listermint

according to her...

Teachers have a hard enough job without having to deal with unruly students. Students who are in class to learn should be given every chance without having to put up with other attention seekers who won't accept their punishment and then get their parents to come in and defend them.
    Young students are not fully grown adults yet, if they were, would their parents be coming into the teacher to defend their child.

If they find it so hard to teach maybe they shouldn't? Obviously children need defending.
    Its attitudes like yours that make teachers think they are above the law

reprazant wrote: »

Actually I have heard from four other students so put that in your pipe and smoke it :)

If they find it so hard to teach maybe they shouldn't? Obviously children need defending.
    Its attitudes like yours that make teachers think they are above the law

what law ?

What are you talking about? And why do children need defending is there some form of mass discrimination against children in school?

I think youve lost the run of it now.

reprazant wrote: »

Someone said something funny, class laughed some laughed louder than others

Actually I have heard from four other students so put that in your pipe and smoke it :)

What the hell? :confused:

Are you the parent or the student?

Did somebody crack a joke or were they laughing at somebody? I find it very bizarre that if the whole classed laughed at a joke, only 3 were singled out and punished.

I am shocked that her friends stood up for her when you queried it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

listermint wrote: »
    No this particular teacher was both the one that could instantly quieten a class, (and we knew not to take the piss) but was also one of everyones favourite teachers..

explain that one away ...........

I think a teacher who commands respect is different to someone who puts the fear of God into your heart. Some of the vindictive p***ks who taught me would never be worthy of respect whereas others were super teachers

• Advertisement

what law ?

What are you talking about? And why do children need defending is there some form of mass discrimination against children in school?

I think youve lost the run of it now.

Wow you are so right :/ Occasionally a child will need defending, stop reading too much into it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Why was you daughter made face the wall?
    Because she wasn't apart of the class she was being supervised in, she had already proven her inability to sit quietly and non-disruptively in a classroom, one class had already been disrupted - why should another class and another group be disturbed.

In all your ranting on here about your poor little girl did you ever think of talking to the teachers about what you can do to improve your daughters behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

There is a stark difference between humiliation and embarassing. Do you write for the Enquirer or the daily mail by any chance ???

Being made to face a wall is both. Are you a rep from the INTO by any chance ???

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I think a teacher who commands respect is different to someone who puts the fear of God into your heart. Some of the vindictive p***ks who taught me would never be worthy of respect whereas others were super teachers

I think your dwelling on what i meant by fear of god, Your not getting it. I dont mean the teacher was abusive or violent, they had a look that would quieten the whole class instantly. So dont take it out of context.

someone that is vindictive doesnt tend to be the most popular and professional teachers. But i assume you knew that and decided to dwell on my terminology instead...

Why was you daughter made face the wall?
    Because she wasn't apart of the class she was being supervised in, she had already proven her inability to sit quietly and non-disruptively in a classroom, one class had already been disrupted - why should another class and another group be disturbed.

In all your ranting on here about your poor little girl did you ever think of talking to the teachers about what you can do to improve your daughters behavior.

You are missing the point here. I have no problem with her been removed from class its facing the wall i have a problem with.
    I did speak to the Teacher and laughing in class is hardly the end of the world.

marienbad wrote: »
    Being made to face a wall is both. Are you a rep from the INTO by any chance ???

Being made to face a wall is forgotten instantly in a week. how do i know? because it did it twice in mr formative years. Your blowing this up like a front page article its laughable.

I have no affiliation with the teaching profession other than facing them on the other side of a desk my younger years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

:rolleyes:Children are a product of their upbringing. The atitudes displayed by the OP in responses on this thread speak volumes about the whole situation. If parents actually bothered to set their kids boundaries and punished via appropriate means then teachers wouldn't have to put up with hell raisers in class. Just look around during rag week to see the state of students and ask yourself would they behave differently if they weren't mollycoddled as adolescents. Of course the teacher and other students are always the problem, i would always take the word of a disruptive child over teachers/principles etc. I'm glad you checked with some of her friends though as i'm certain they are completely impartial and objective in their defense of your daughter. :rolleyes:

You are missing the point here. I have no problem with her been removed from class its facing the wall i have a problem with.
    I did speak to the Teacher and laughing in class is hardly the end of the world.

Your missing the point, its a miniscule incident that she will forget about instantly and you seem to be the only one dragging it out.

If she gets on with her daily effort of working in class then there wont need to be any singling out etc.

As ive already stated but this thing to bed and move on.

its facing the wall i have a problem with.

And by having her face the wall, she couldn't disrupt the class she was in. How hard is that to understand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

There is a stark difference between humiliation and embarassing. Do you write for the Enquirer or the daily mail by any chance ???

Why would a teacher want to embarrass a child anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

What's the big deal, how is this any different to putting a kid on the 'Naughty Step'?

Tell your kid to stop disrupting class before they end up spending more time being punished than being taught.

• Advertisement

Why would a teacher want to embarrass a child anyway?

Embarassment is generally what children respond to, i did. Didnt like to be singled out from my peers if i got up to mischief so i would always point the finger elsewhere.

zarquon wrote: »
    :rolleyes:Children are a product of their upbringing. The atitudes displayed by the OP in responses on this thread speak volumes about the whole situation. If parents actually bothered to set their kids boundaries and punished via appropriate means then teachers wouldn't have to put up with hell raisers in classs. Just look around during rag week to see the state of students and ask yourself would they behave differently if they weren't mollycoddled as adolescents. Of course the teacher and other students are always the problem, i would always take the word of a disruptive child over teachers/principles etc. I'm glad you checked with some of her friends though as i'm certain they are completely impartial and objective in their defense of your daughter. :rolleyes:

Actually you are totally wrong but I don't need to justify myself to you.

Hell raisers are you serious? Also where did I say that I didn't agree with a punishment?

You wouldn't be a teacher would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Being made to face a wall is forgotten instantly in a week. how do i know? because it did it twice in mr formative years. Your blowing this up like a front page article its laughable.

I have no affiliation with the teaching profession other than facing them on the other side of a desk my younger years.

I am not blowing it up at all, just because you found it ok is no defence , everybody is different.

May I ask would you accept it in your workplace ? I presume the answer is no , so then I would ask why no ? And then we get into an age thing and it all becomes pointless.

Certain things are acceptable and others are not. And causing embarrassment and humiliation is not acceptable anywhere - this would be classed as bullying anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Try teaching 20+ adolescents a list of stuff to fill a phonebook. The parents are expecting you to produce results in the Junior/Leaving. If they fail, its your fault. Meanwhile, some of these little angels are showing minimal respect for anything going on and are giggling their way through the work.

Maybe the solution is to realise the hassle that laughing in class causes.. along with all the other things that on a consistent basis make teaching little Johhny, Johhny Snr's angel difficult to impossible.

Another solution would be to have a word about basic manners.

Do you really think a child was sent from the class for laughing just once among a crowd of people laughing? Really?

My daughter told me that Dora the Explorer robbed her socks. I don't believe everything she says, and it'll stay that way til she's well into her 30's.

But who am I only a teacher supporter type. Down with my sort.

I am not blowing it up at all, just because you found it ok is no defence , everybody is different.

May I ask would you accept it in your workplace ? I presume the answer is no , so then I would ask why no ? And then we get into an age thing and it all becomes pointless.

Certain things are acceptable and others are not. And causing embarrassment and humiliation is not acceptable anywhere - this would be classed as bullying anywhere else.

Will you stop referring to the workplace as if a class full of students bears any comparison. because its a ridiculous comparison.

Heres my biggest issue these days young kids are growing up far too fast, they know everything, they get everything and appreciate the value of nothing. And people treating them like adults far before their time buys into it.
    Discipline and respect has been absolutely crushed in the last decade or so and i think we will reap what we sow over the next decade because of it.

Would you therefore be ok with a 3 written warnings for misbehaviour before the child is told to leave the school? Or if they are not learning at a sufficient rate, then they are asked to leave?

These are all acceptable in the workplace so I presume you would have no problem with them in a school environment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I think if you have a problem with this OP you should home school your children and show us all the model job you could do with absolutely no dicipline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Trotter wrote: »
    Try teaching 20+ adolescents a list of stuff to fill a phonebook. The parents are expecting you to produce results in the Junior/Leaving. If they fail, its your fault. Meanwhile, some of these little angels are showing minimal respect for anything going on and are giggling their way through the work.

Maybe the solution is to realise the hassle that laughing in class causes.. along with all the other things that on a consistent basis make teaching little Johhny, Johhny Snr's angel difficult to impossible.

Another solution would be to have a word about basic manners.

Do you really think a child was sent from the class for laughing just once among a crowd of people laughing? Really?

My daughter told me that Dora the Explorer robbed her socks. I don't believe everything she says, and it'll stay that way til she's well into her 30's.

But who am I only a teacher supporter type. Down with my sort.

Brilliant post. I hope it doesn't go over the head of the people who need to read it!

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

zarquon wrote: »
    :rolleyes:Children are a product of their upbringing. The atitudes displayed by the OP in responses on this thread speak volumes about the whole situation. If parents actually bothered to set their kids boundaries and punished via appropriate means then teachers wouldn't have to put up with hell raisers in class. Just look around during rag week to see the state of students and ask yourself would they behave differently if they weren't mollycoddled as adolescents. Of course the teacher and other students are always the problem, i would always take the word of a disruptive child over teachers/principles etc. I'm glad you checked with some of her friends though as i'm certain they are completely impartial and objective in their defense of your daughter. :rolleyes:

The OP is not trying to defend what her daughter did, more a case of disputing the stupid, lazy and unproductive punishment that was applied.

Surely after years of training the teacher could have come up with something more imaginative and beneficial than face the wall for an hour.

Perhaps I am being harsh maybe the teacher in question was tired, three months holidays go by so quickly and its an age to the next week off in October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

I'm sorry tap, you're totally blowing this out of all proportion. Teachers don't randomly decide to treat students harshly for no reason. To be honest, there's a lot going on in a classroom with 25 - 30 students in it. So 95% chance this is what happened:

1. Your daughter caused a disruption in class by laughing out loud with the couple of others who were also removed. (The whole class was not disruptive).
    2. This incident must have been fairly disruptive/offensive for the teacher to have them removed. (Or else not the first time it happened).
    3. Your daughter was causing (inadvertently or not) a distraction in the class she was put into, so the teacher made her face the wall. Not a course of action I agree with, but hardly the overblown travesty you are making it out to be.

Of course, there is the 5% chance that your teenage daughter is telling you the complete truth of the situation, and she is just an innocent victim in all of this. I'm sorry, but I know which option I'd go for.

• Advertisement

boogle wrote: »
    I'm sorry tap, you're totally blowing this out of all proportion. Teachers don't randomly decide to treat students harshly for no reason. To be honest, there's a lot going on in a classroom with 25 - 30 students in it. So 95% chance this is what happened:

1. Your daughter caused a disruption in class by laughing out loud with the couple of others who were also removed. (The whole class was not disruptive).
    2. This incident must have been fairly disruptive/offensive for the teacher to have them removed. (Or else not the first time it happened).
    3. Your daughter was causing (inadvertently or not) a distraction in the class she was put into, so the teacher made her face the wall. Not a course of action I agree with, but hardly the overblown travesty you are making it out to be.

Of course, there is the 5% chance that your teenage daughter is telling you the complete truth of the situation, and she is just an innocent victim in all of this. I'm sorry, but I know which option I'd go for.

She was so disruptive it took for her to be removed from class the next day??
    Seriously??

Tap out of interest, when your daughter told you what happened in school, what did you say to her?

You are wrong, There is one student who roars at different teachers and is never removed from class. I brought it up with the year head and she said it will be dealt with. So its ok to shout at your teacher just don't laugh in class?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

The OP is not trying to defend what her daughter did, more a case of disputing the stupid, lazy and unproductive punishment that was applied.

Surely after years of training the teacher could have come up with something more imaginative and beneficial than face the wall for an hour.

Perhaps I am being harsh maybe the teacher in question was tired, three months holidays go by so quickly and its an age to the next week off in October.

So the teacher should spend more time, thinking of an imaginative punishment? That's ridiculous. A punishment isn't meant to benefit it's receiver.

She was so disruptive it took for her to be removed from class the next day??
    Seriously??

A teacher is legally not allowed to leave a class unattended, so the teacher would not have been able to go to another teachers' class and ask for those students to be moved there during class time. The teacher obviously brought the issue to a year head/tutor after the fact, and the year head dealt with the punishment the next day (too late for removal from class, I'd agree). I'm in agreement that the situation could have been handled much better. I just think you need to be a little more realistic about what your daughter tells you.

Tap out of interest, when your daughter told you what happened in school, what did you say to her?

I said you shouldn't have laughed. I told her that I have no problem with her receiving punishment if she was acting the maggot. She knows she was wrong but there is actually worse going on in the class.

You are wrong, There is one student who roars at different teachers and is never removed from class. I brought it up with the year head and she said it will be dealt with. So its ok to shout at your teacher just don't laugh in class?

This kind of attitude is surprisingly immature. You think that because there is a student whose behaviour is worse that your daughters' means she should be able to escape punishment. Do you know how management is dealing with this "problem student"? Do you know how many times his/her parents have been contacted or called in? Do you know how many detentions/suspensions etc this student has had? Worry about your own kids, not anyone else's based on second hand information.

A teacher is legally not allowed to leave a class unattended, so the teacher would not have been able to go to another teachers' class and ask for those students to be moved there during class time. The teacher obviously brought the issue to a year head/tutor after the fact, and the year head dealt with the punishment the next day (too late for removal from class, I'd agree). I'm in agreement that the situation could have been handled much better. I just think you need to be a little more realistic about what your daughter tells you.

Ah come on! Teachers often leave class. If it was so disruptive he should have called for someone there and then.

Ah come on! Teachers often leave class. If it was so disruptive he should have called for someone there and then.

Seriously, it's not allowed. They can't leave a class nowadays. Insurance and all that.

• Advertisement

Ruling out the chance that the teacher is beating starving or psycologicqlly torturing your child I think you need to support him/her .
    First of all your kid is stopping a class of 25 from learning .
    Second it takes a village to raise a child. Making sure he/she respects the person whose job it is to teach them is very important .
    My first reaction if I was the parent in this situation would be to decide whether my child needed further punishment . As a kid the scariest thing for me as punishment was them ringing my parents . Now a teacher rings a parent they get as much flack from the parents as they did the child.
    I have good maners and had a good education the system worked for me but it was down to the backing of my family to make sure I worked for the system rather than against it . Looking for loopholes bad mouthing the teacher for not finding something more constructive , this has a negative effect on your child op .
    I think you have to look at your parenting skills instead of the teachers teaching skills.

This kind of attitude is surprisingly immature. You think that because there is a student whose behaviour is worse that your daughters' means she should be able to escape punishment. Do you know how management is dealing with this "problem student"? Do you know how many times his/her parents have been contacted or called in? Do you know how many detentions/suspensions etc this student has had? Worry about your own kids, not anyone else's based on second hand information.

Never said she should escape punishment but screaming at the teacher is far worse.
    No they have not dealt with the problem student this I deffo know

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Seriously, it's not allowed. They can't leave a class nowadays. Insurance and all that.

This is true. In the event of sudden illness, we have to get a colleague to watch our class. We are also not allowed put a disruptive child outside the door. We have to either send a 'good' child for another staff member to remove the disruptive child, or have an arrangement with a neighbouring teacher to take them.

Meanwhile the kids who want to do their work sit and wait while everyone's time gets wasted.

cloptrop wrote: »
    Ruling out the chance that the teacher is beating starving or psycologicqlly torturing your child I think you need to support him/her .
    First of all your kid is stopping a class of 25 from learning .
    Second it takes a village to raise a child. Making sure he/she respects the person whose job it is to teach them is very important .
    My first reaction if I was the parent in this situation would be to decide whether my child needed further punishment . As a kid the scariest thing for me as punishment was them ringing my parents . Now a teacher rings a parent they get as much flack from the parents as they did the child.
    I have good maners and had a good education the system worked for me but it was down to the backing of my family to make sure I worked for the system rather than against it . Looking for loopholes bad mouthing the teacher for not finding something more constructive , this has a negative effect on your child op .
    I think you have to look at your parenting skills instead of the teachers teaching skills.

What do you know about my parenting skills? I asked if it was acceptable for the teacher to punish a student in this way. You don't know anything about me so don't judge what you don't know.

I said you shouldn't have laughed. I told her that I have no problem with her receiving punishment if she was acting the maggot. She knows she was wrong but there is actually worse going on in the class.

So if you know what she did is wrong, why are you up in arms about it on the internet?
    She did something wrong. The teacher punished her. End of.

What punishment did you give her for misbehaving in school?

Never said she should escape punishment but screaming at the teacher is far worse.
    No they have not dealt with the problem student this I deffo know

Ok well, you've got a few differing opinions on your original post so I don't see the point in arguing around in circles. Try your best to be objective in these situations. And remember: teenagers lie. Yes, all of them!

• Advertisement

I asked if it was acceptable for the teacher to punish a student in this way.

And the majority of people seem to think yes it is.

So if you know what she did is wrong, why are you up in arms about it on the internet?
    She did something wrong. The teacher punished her. End of.

What punishment did you give her for misbehaving in school?

I'm not up in arms just don't like the fact she was made face the wall. Thought it was pretty outdated punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

discus wrote: »
    So the teacher should spend more time, thinking of an imaginative punishment? That's ridiculous. A punishment isn't meant to benefit it's receiver.

I think your comment is ridiculous, school as a whole is supposed to be benficial to students even in punishment we should expect they learn something.

Would an essay on classroom etiquette not be more suitable punishment while improving the students English skills ?

And for your information even when we send people to prison it is done in the hope they will reform and improve as a person, which in turn which in turn would benefit them.

This punishment absolutely does benefit the kid . She learns not to disrupt the class .
    I think thats the lesson that the kid needs to learn . I havnt heard any evidence that an essay on etiquette will help anything other than her essay writing skills . These were not called into question .

I'm not up in arms just don't like the fact she was made face the wall. Thought it was pretty outdated punishment.

I don't see the facing the wall thing as anything more than minimising disruption is the class she was now being supervised in.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement