Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] So i started EVE

Options
  • 16-09-2012 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

Well i finally gave it a go as a trial yesterday.

i am subbed now for 3 months... :o .

I tried it few years ago and it was like hitting a brick wall, but they improved noob learning a lot! the whole agent thing etc.

i presume this forum is prety dead, but hey, there might be some people around here! I am on my last 10/10 mining/industrial agent mission now. waiting 1h for that ship to be built. after that i am rewarded with new ship. i presume how it will do and i will try to look in to what ship do i get next.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I tried it few years ago and it was like hitting a brick wall, but they improved noob learning a lot! the whole agent thing etc.

i presume this forum is prety dead, but hey, there might be some people around here! I am on my last 10/10 mining/industrial agent mission now. waiting 1h for that ship to be built. after that i am rewarded with new ship. i presume how it will do and i will try to look in to what ship do i get next.

Once you have the basics down which you should have after doing the tutorials. Either join Eve-uni (a corp that runs itself like a school for eve and will teach you in all aspects of the game) OR if you rather just jump in and see what happens go onto the eveonline.com forums, go to the recruitment section and find a pvp corp that advertises the take on new players and will teach them how to pvp well.

Like yourself I had many failed attempts at starting eve, What changed it for me was that on one of my attempts I found a great corp that showed me how to pvp well. After that the game just opened up.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i am not interested in PVP yet. i am more of a grinder miner! :o i am doing those tutorials. did the industry one and now doing the military one. last part of it in fact.

i heard there is some sort of new pvp aspect? like litle battlegrounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Lol don't do it, EvE is even more of a life sucker than WoW

Well best thing about eve that I can play it while playing something else :).

Got my osprey. Just brought hoarder to my home base. Joined some small casual corp too.
    Now I am focused on getting retriever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

im curious how your getting on as a new player Shadow? What 3 months in now?

• Advertisement

platinums wrote: »
    im curious how your getting on as a new player Shadow? What 3 months in now?

well... i will upset a lot of people here i guess :(
    I am still playing! this friday i got a second account too. My main account is training for mackinow and will be training for salveging to support my second account, which is going to be combat ( Frigate pvp and missioning ) with support miner/hauler. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

See this is were it gets bad.

*fade to old scene*

There I was, sitting at a POS waiting for Cyvok and the rest of ASCN to show up so that we can move out. Was waiting for 45 minutes (god when i look back we were ****e). I start thinking,

"You know what would be really great? An alt that I could run missions in while waiting for fleet form ups. Hell I could get him up on courier missions, sure they are half afk anyway!. In fact I could get some manufacturing skills aswell and round out my skills to support my main! God D you're a genius!"

Fast forward a year: "Yeah I could totally use my alt to support my pirate main in lo-sec hell he could even scout for me, no I'll get another alt with perfect scanning skills."

time passes...

You know what would make this wormhole go faster? A fourth account!

Forward 6 years: "God I really need another alt!"

Edit: I may have to re-subb: http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=14947130

Hehe. I totally know what you mean m8! I was mining and was thinking: "you know, it would be really handy to have a second account in retriever just to mine mad haul my **** when I am in covetor/hulk. Then I could do missions, while main account mining....

*subed second account...

With 2 accounts I haven't played any more games now... And I got like 20 games on steam that I haven't even started once... I got batman Arkham city installed and ready to go for the last 2 months... Not even touched...
    I really became eve addict. It's one of the rare games, which makes your progress very satisfying. I look at my main char and I am really proud of it and see how much time I have invested in to it.

Though I did got my arse handed to me on security mission II on my alt :D. Repairs costed already more then reward and had to call it a day. Not a big deal though, I got almost 1bill in cash and lots of ore already, so doing missions on alt is more of a training and standing farming. :) these fails makes me do more research in to fittings, modules, setups, skills. Feck, it's awesome.
    It is really surprising how much I enjoy this game and I never was a fan of starwars, spaceships etc. I remember how I hated startreck and stargate on TV. ( still hate it lol )

D wrote: »

His excuse was he wanted to ruin his alliances efficiency. If u're gonna make an excuse at least make a believable one!!

you love Eve;
    Feck, it's awesome.
    It is really surprising how much I enjoy this game

But, hate StarTrek..
    I never was a fan of starwars, spaceships etc. I remember how I hated startreck and stargate on TV. ( still hate it lol )

Holy Farking Paradox Batman, the whole world will collapse! :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

you love Eve;

But, hate StarTrek..

Holy Farking Paradox Batman, the whole world will collapse! :pac::pac::pac:

i am looking at 3 screens atm.

screen nr. 001 - Main char mining Pyroxeres in retriever
    screen nr. 002 - Alt char doing level II missions in caracal and should be able to fly drake tonight.
    screen nr. 003 - Black books season 2 episode 4 on netflix

Yes, i do honestly hate startreck and very meh about starwars :D

i really love EVE, but spaceship is just part of this love, i just really love open sandbox game like this. economy, fighting, universe, "assholes", pirates. :)

Well today I made my first 1bill :D. ( it's 1.1bil now actually )

Would be waaaaaaaaaay more sooner, but I spent money on 2xdrakes + fittings and my second account is a complete money sink for now, I mostly losing money in missions lol, but it's fun and I get standing.

Calling it a night :D.

You're making great progress, After a month you're a billionaire :). Save that money, you will need it for all the pvp you are going to get addicted to.

You're making great progress, After a month you're a billionaire :). Save that money, you will need it for all the pvp you are going to get addicted to.

That was the plan, secure income so I can recycle frigs like paper later on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

You're a far more patient person than I.
    I train up all the skills necessary to be self sufficent but 10 / 15mins of mining later I give up. It just does my nut in >_<

azezil wrote: »
    You're a far more patient person than I.
    I train up all the skills necessary to be self sufficent but 10 / 15mins of mining later I give up. It just does my nut in >_<

how can this be boring :D

DSC_0969.jpg

Thread is now thinly veiled excuse for Shadowhearth to show his 3 screen setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

At least mining is slightly profitable these days.

Thread is now thinly veiled excuse for Shadowhearth to show his 3 screen setup.

I got them for ages now, but it helps to play EVE. :) watched all red dwarf and now going at it again from episode 1 lol. Finished watching black books 3 seasons too. Will check a good few old movies soon. :D

As for mining - it's OP as ****. I am still only mining with my main account and should have finished astrogeology 5 tomorrow, so I can start very long 16 day mining barge 5. It brings 4-5mil after each trip. Just afl mining.
    Where's my alt now in drake doing level 2 missions and brings back only scraps from under the table. I can't imagine anyone actually make any proper profit goings missioning as a newb. I could throw 6mil on ship for missions level I and throw 50mil plus fittings on a drake. I can't imagine noob people able to do that...

Anyway, I am working on my standing to be able to do missions 3. Would I need to get raven for that or beefed up drake will survive? Plus what ship could've good for salvaging? I will start training my main to salvage so he can clean up and make some money on missions 3. I presume it needs to be semi fast and okay ish cargo?

Missioning I used to clear 4-5 mill with Reward Pay and selling the lucrative scraps (you have to salvage everything!) at Lvl5.
    I couldn't stand mining, even so you can do it afk, I'd rather be doing something interactive to the point I have to think.

Looking at your setup makes me think 2 things,
    1. I need another monitor and a bigger desk and
    2. I want to go and fly my Tengu!!!!!

I think I have about 600mill sitting there in my account, not training anything.
    As soon as the weather gets bad Ill be signing straight back up, just have to play all these other games first. (Dishonoured, Xcom being the two favourites...) cause once you get involved with Eve, it wont let you go (untill you run out of Money or Time)

I remember the Noctis being the best cleanup crew you could own. Hi Sec/WH only as there are no weapons.
    Got Salvage Level 5? Tech 2 Salvagers FTW.

Lvl3' can easily be down in the Drake, as long as you are careful to fit the correct Damage Ammo for the enemy you are facing. Of course also fill the correct Hardeners / Shield Resistances. Once you're properly tanked and can take the beatings you'll rack up loads of Iskies to train your next ship.

Dont make the mistakes many including I have made; Train a ship well before you fly it in anger. Thats like walking through Brixton/Ballyfermut, drunk with a loose gold watch on your arm and Subaru keys hanging out of your pocket.

• Advertisement

Missioning I used to clear 4-5 mill with Reward Pay and selling the lucrative scraps (you have to salvage everything!) at Lvl5.
    I couldn't stand mining, even so you can do it afk, I'd rather be doing something interactive to the point I have to think.

Looking at your setup makes me think 2 things,
    1. I need another monitor and a bigger desk and
    2. I want to go and fly my Tengu!!!!!

I think I have about 600mill sitting there in my account, not training anything.
    As soon as the weather gets bad Ill be signing straight back up, just have to play all these other games first. (Dishonoured, Xcom being the two favourites...) cause once you get involved with Eve, it wont let you go (untill you run out of Money or Time)

I remember the Noctis being the best cleanup crew you could own. Hi Sec/WH only as there are no weapons.
    Got Salvage Level 5? Tech 2 Salvagers FTW.

Lvl3' can easily be down in the Drake, as long as you are careful to fit the correct Damage Ammo for the enemy you are facing. Of course also fill the correct Hardeners / Shield Resistances. Once you're properly tanked and can take the beatings you'll rack up loads of Iskies to train your next ship.

Dont make the mistakes many including I have made; Train a ship well before you fly it in anger. Thats like walking through Brixton/Ballyfermut, drunk with a loose gold watch on your arm and Subaru keys hanging out of your pocket.

Well i guess my income will get better as soon as i iwll get to higher level missions. plus with other account scraping it will speed it up and make it less of a pain.

My table is not that big to be honest. its just a very great shape for multiple monitors. it is one of those corner job tables, so i can fit 3 monitors very handy on table in perfect angles for me. if you want ill be able to post you in private more photos of it from further to have better idea. ( i dont want to be called a show off and post it here lol )
    I did got third monitor for surround setup, but after trying it out and realising how **** nvidia surround support is i gone back in to 3 separate monitors ( they still all coneected in on desktop, but its just 3x1080p instead of 7kx1080. I really love 2 monitors, but then i though 3 monitors are overkill if i dont use for suround... i was wrong. i actually want one more now above :D ( i am a bit psyco, i know )

i dont blame you for holding back on playing EVE. i am playing EVE only for last month or so... i got a full steam libary to finish and all my plans to do it untill XMAS sale went down the drain thx to EVE... :o
    And i love that advice on ship training m8! :D so true! you better off flying good cheaper smaller ship, then flying expensive bullseye.

Ah they old which ship should I use to mission in.

You will get loads of different answers.
    A well skilled drake will be able to do level 3

As for level 4s it depends

If you are using one account and want to salvage everything then get a marauder.

If you are using two accounts then marauder with 4 tractor beams and noctis with 8 salvagers.

If you want to Blitz missions then tengu/other T3 or a Mach.

Most people have a different opinions on this.

As for setups there is a wealth of information on this.
    A simple low skill setup for 4s would be:
    Raven
    cruise missiles
    larger shield booster (not X-L)
    specific rat hardeners
    DC and PDS (as your skill/equipment improve switch PDS for BCU)
    a T1 Raven can manage all level4s if you take your time.

The last time I ran 4s it was in a pimped golem and I aggro'd everything and blitzed and salavaged as I went (I did not hang around when mission was complete, left some salvage as it was more profitable to just run to the next mission)

Aye. In eve opinions like assholes, everyone has them :D.

Well so my drake is doing all right I'm missions 3, but feck I get annoyed by frigates now. Little ****s are harder to kill then big ships... I tried target painter, but it's useless. Just before I logged off I got myself a web. I'll try it tomorrow.
    I might drop pave training for some time and focus on getting that retriever so I could support my miner. So far I played both accounts at the same time and my miner made 200mil in a few days and mission pilot made maybe 10mil. I don't even talk about drake + fittings ended up be around 70mil +++ provided by miner.
    So far missioning is a great training for me. Fitting ships, modules, rigs, types of damage, stats, signature. I guess I am not treating my missioning as a loss here, it's more of a free of care training in battlefield. I will give a go tomorrow again, but like I said I might just finish training for retriever and work purely for pvp.

Ah they old which ship should I use to mission in.

You will get loads of different answers.
    A well skilled drake will be able to do level 3

As for level 4s it depends

If you are using one account and want to salvage everything then get a marauder.

If you are using two accounts then marauder with 4 tractor beams and noctis with 8 salvagers.

If you want to Blitz missions then tengu/other T3 or a Mach.

Most people have a different opinions on this.

As for setups there is a wealth of information on this.
    A simple low skill setup for 4s would be:
    Raven
    cruise missiles
    larger shield booster (not X-L)
    specific rat hardeners
    DC and PDS (as your skill/equipment improve switch PDS for BCU)
    a T1 Raven can manage all level4s if you take your time.

The last time I ran 4s it was in a pimped golem and I aggro'd everything and blitzed and salavaged as I went (I did not hang around when mission was complete, left some salvage as it was more profitable to just run to the next mission)

I don't think you should even look at a marauder for the foreseeable future. You've only done a month of training, so if you want to rat in bling, get a faction battleship but don't do bsV until your core skills are stronger. I'd even be weary using a faction battleship for awhile yet.

A caldari navy raven or a navy issue dominix/mega dish out serious dps.

Aye. In eve opinions like assholes, everyone has them :D.

Well so my drake is doing all right I'm missions 3, but feck I get annoyed by frigates now. Little ****s are harder to kill then big ships... I tried target painter, but it's useless. Just before I logged off I got myself a web. I'll try it tomorrow.
    I might drop pave training for some time and focus on getting that retriever so I could support my miner. So far I played both accounts at the same time and my miner made 200mil in a few days and mission pilot made maybe 10mil. I don't even talk about drake + fittings ended up be around 70mil +++ provided by miner.
    So far missioning is a great training for me. Fitting ships, modules, rigs, types of damage, stats, signature. I guess I am not treating my missioning as a loss here, it's more of a free of care training in battlefield. I will give a go tomorrow again, but like I said I might just finish training for retriever and work purely for pvp.

If you've got tech 2 launchers you can use precision missiles which will take care of the small ships easy peasy

Lads, majorly stupid question now lol, bare with me here.

I LOVE Rokh, I want to fly it, even if it will mean just for ****s and giggles for now.
    Money is not an issue, I can spend some training for it too, but is there a way for me using it for something? I presume it has a very specific role in gang pvp/ fleet conflicts as a sniper boat, but could I do some Pve or even pvp with it? I sow some fitting which was for 10km range in eve load outs. So Any help with that? I really like that ship :)

Lads, majorly stupid question now lol, bare with me here.

I LOVE Rokh, I want to fly it, even if it will mean just for ****s and giggles for now.
    Money is not an issue, I can spend some training for it too, but is there a way for me using it for something? I presume it has a very specific role in gang pvp/ fleet conflicts as a sniper boat, but could I do some Pve or even pvp with it? I sow some fitting which was for 10km range in eve load outs. So Any help with that? I really like that ship :)

I know that feeling, ignore bonus' etc cause you like how a ship looks.

Well yeah, you can use it for both level 4's and fleet pvp. NC. and other alliances have fleet doctrines that use the rokh. They'd fit it somethin similar to this I'd imagine http://eve.battleclinic.com/loadout/27862-425mm-Rail-Rokh-sniper.html The idea is to have have massive alpha so when several Rokhs shoot the same target it will pop instantly, not giving enemy logistics a chance to rep it.

You wouldn't really use it for small gang roams though. I suppose you could fit it with blaster cannons for gate camps.

For Pve, somethin like this http://eve.battleclinic.com/loadout/57356-Lv4-Rokh-Post-Crucible.html should work.

Ah, cheers man. Looks like I will just train for mild mining support and then go for Rokh or some frigate pvp.
    It's hard to decide now as there will be a huge rebalance of ships with winter expansion. Plus the new caldari destroyer looks better then sex itself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭longwhitecross+

My sub runs out in a few hours. I WANT to like and play eve cause SCIFI mmo is refreshing nowadays. I /want/ to like and play :/

Havn't really experienced much of it outside mission running which is boring as hell, tough to find decent people to play with.

I hear you arnt really playing untill your living in nullsec..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

My sub runs out in a few hours. I WANT to like and play eve cause SCIFI mmo is refreshing nowadays. I /want/ to like and play :/

Havn't really experienced much of it outside mission running which is boring as hell, tough to find decent people to play with.

I hear you arnt really playing untill your living in nullsec..

I prefer 0.0 to anywhere else tbh but some people prefer high sec and low sec.

Advertisement