Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda ANPR

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Not quite...

You've put a legal irish plate and a not-legal german font one (missing dashes / county name). Why not compare like with like?

Not quite,
    use your imagination, it is about fonts that are the issue not the other info. But feel free to make your own here were I made this mock one for demonstration purposes:P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Not quite,
    use your imagination, it is about fonts that are the issue not the other info. But feel free to make your own here were I made this mock one for demonstration purposes:P

It is but by not having both plates looking identical, it gives people a reason to form a bias aside from just the fonts :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It is but by not having both plates looking identical, it gives people a reason to form a bias aside from just the fonts :p

Alright, but it was more the way the program creates them than I done it on purpose.
    There all fixed.
    220947.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

So as far as anyone can tell the use of German fonts isn't explicitly illegal under statute and may or may not get you a fail point in the NCT. From what the OP said about the Garda claiming that the font was illegal purely because the ANPR couldn't read it, it seems reasonable to assume that the Garda in question was making up the law as he went along: unless a boardsie who's a professional familiar with this issue can correct me, either AGS or maybe a lawyer experienced in road traffic offences?

BTW I'd never change my numberplate font cos I think it looks minging but some of the hate that the OP has been getting on this thread for doing it is a little OTT, if it's not against the law he's free to do it and he was asking for clarification on the legal issue not people's subjective tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭namoosh

So as far as anyone can tell the use of German fonts isn't explicitly illegal under statute and may or may not get you a fail point in the NCT. From what the OP said about the Garda claiming that the font was illegal purely because the ANPR couldn't read it, it seems reasonable to assume that the Garda in question was making up the law as he went along: unless a boardsie who's a professional familiar with this issue can correct me, either AGS or maybe a lawyer experienced in road traffic offences?

BTW I'd never change my numberplate font cos I think it looks minging but some of the hate that the OP has been getting on this thread for doing it is a little OTT, if it's not against the law he's free to do it and he was asking for clarification on the legal issue not people's subjective tastes.

As far as I know they are legal, I think the OP's main problem was the obnoxious behaviour of the TC Guard who pulled him over, a simple "change the plates son" would probably have worked much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Alright, but it was more the way the program creates them than I done it on purpose.
    There all fixed.
    220947.jpg
    Want to try again? Both of those plates are still illegal. :D
    5. The periphery of the plate shall be marked all around by a black border having a stroke width of 5 millimetres

I would think that any NCT fail because of the break in the 0 or 9 in german-style plates could be successfully queried by quoting the relevant Statutory Instrument.

They still look naff, though.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Esel wrote: »
    Want to try again? Both of those plates are still illegal. :D

I would think that any NCT fail because of the break in the 0 or 9 in german-style plates could be successfully queried by quoting the relevant Statutory Instrument.

They still look naff, though.
    The problem is you would be forced to take the complaint all the way to the top as the ones in the NCT centres will not listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The problem is you would be forced to take the complaint all the way to the top as the ones in the NCT centres will not listen.
    Hardly, given that we have had reports of plates wuth broken zero passing the test. I would think that the tester who failed the broken zero was chancing his arm.

From the NCTS Manual:
    2. Vehicles first registered on or after 1 January 1991
    For vehicles registered on or after 1 January 1991, letters and numbers must be black set against a white background of reflex reflective material. The flag of the European Communities, the Nationality Symbol, IRL, and the Irish language name of the City/County of registration to be shown. No other marks may appear on the plate. Any additional tabs, etc. outside the dimensions shown for the registration plate are not considered part of the plate.

REASONS FOR FAILURE
    Registration Number Plate
    1 One or both plates missing, insecure or not clearly visible.
    2 Numbers or letters missing or illegible or incorrect size (see page 9).
    3 Numbers, letter or background of incorrect colour (see notes above).
    4 Marks, other than those prescribed, on the plate within the boundary shown in the diagram.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Hal Decks

Funny one today. I was pulled by Garda today for no tax and no insurance, as flagged up by ANPR. Funny thing was, I bought the car three weeks ago, taxed and insured it last week and was 5 minutes after passing NCT when pulled.

Whatever about NCT status, there's no way ANPR should be triggering alarms that long after tax and insurance were put right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Hal Decks wrote: »
    Funny one today. I was pulled by Garda today for no tax and no insurance, as flagged up by ANPR. Funny thing was, I bought the car three weeks ago, taxed and insured it last week and was 5 minutes after passing NCT when pulled.

Whatever about NCT status, there's no way ANPR should be triggering alarms that long after tax and insurance were put right.

Their system is very slow to update, they update it once a week afaik. So you could tax your car on a Thursday and they might not update till say Tuesday for example, causing a bit of confusion when pulled over.

Open to corrections on this one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

dgt wrote: »
    Their system is very slow to update, they update it once a week afaik. So you could tax your car on a Thursday and they might not update till say Tuesday for example, causing a bit of confusion when pulled over.

Open to corrections on this one :)

In that case this is a big loophole.
    Anyone can drive untaxed for as long as they want, and then if pulled over you can say: "officer, I just taxed it online this morning, and I'm waiting now for disc to arrive by post". Gard will not be able to verify this was a lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Hal Decks

CiniO wrote: »

Anyone can drive untaxed for as long as they want, and then if pulled over you can say: "officer, I just taxed it online this morning, and I'm waiting now for disc to arrive by post". Gard[sic] will not be able to verify this was a lie.

The Garda can ask you to provide proof within 10 days. Failure to provide proof could result in a prosecution.

The Gardai have all the tools they need to catch a driver in such a situation.

Anyone can drive untaxed for as long as they want, and then if pulled over you can say: "officer, I just taxed it online this morning, and I'm waiting now for disc to arrive by post". Gard will not be able to verify this was a lie.
    Then he would have the receipt to show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Its the ANPR thats slow to update, they can still check up to date information.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Hal Decks wrote: »
    The Garda can ask you to provide proof within 10 days. Failure to provide proof could result in a prosecution.

The Gardai have all the tools they need to catch a driver in such a situation.

Within 10 days.
    What's the problem then to really purchase this tax online after you've been caught?

Then he would have the receipt to show.
    Receipt of online purchase. Not everyone has access to the printer.

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Its the ANPR thats slow to update, they can still check up to date information.
    In that case, it's all right.
    I though garda can't check current tax status at all, as it's got a week delay.

The problem is that the Garda computer is light years behind when it comes to updates. If it was updated once a month I would be amazed.

Advertisement