Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda ANPR

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I've had them for the last 3 or 4 years, never had a problem at checkpoints.

I like the look of them

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Here's the law that relates to number plates. Its as clear as mud, but I believe the problem with German plates is due to font measurements rather than the actual font itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

SgtBob wrote: »
    From a bit of googleing about, It looks like the font could be an issue.

It looks like only certain fonts meet the legal requirements for a plate.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1999/en/si/0432.html

Section 14 is the part to read, regarding the rules of the character font. From what I can gather, it boils down to a sans serif, monospaced font.

It could be a good idea to investigate a bit further regarding the font your plates, just so you know exactly where you stand with them.
    There is no font specified by law. The SI gives mandatory measurements for character height and width, stroke width, spacing etc. As long as these (and the flag, county, colour and border specs) are complied with, there should be no problem, imo. Then again, IANAL.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Maggie 2 wrote: »
    If you break the law, you can expect to be reprimanded by the upholders of the law. You are in the wrong. Get over it and stop wasting Garda time.
    Thanks for clearing up the whole "issue" regarding number plates and what's legal Mags, no one else was too sure if it even was illegal, but you have put that to rest once and for all. Fair play. The Constitution needs more people like you. Clarity, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

Why do people put German style plates on their cars anyway....they are hardly role models for us, are they ?

;-)

runs for cover

• Advertisement

Waiting for Godwin

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

Esel wrote: »
    There is no font specified by law. The SI gives mandatory measurements for character height and width, stroke width, spacing etc. As long as these (and the flag, county, colour and border specs) are complied with, there should be no problem, imo. Then again, IANAL.

You are correct there is no font specified. But from my googling, the San Serifs generally match the specs in the statute closest. Having said that, I googled it. So who knows how correct it is. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

kyote00 wrote: »
    Why do people put German style plates on their cars anyway....they are hardly role models for us, are they ?

;-)

runs for cover

Pretty good role models for driving anyway. :pac::pac:

Jesus .. whats the issue, it a number plate.

Other countries your given your plate and thats it (after you pay the cost)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

deandean wrote: »
    This thread reminds me why I decided not put German plates on my car even though I like the look of them.

Unfortunately they attract the wrong kind of attention.
    Yes, the attention of being laughed at with the words " look at the muppet with the German plates!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

German style plates are cool

No, seriously, they are not. The look stupid. Generalization here, anyone who puts these on thinks they know better than anyone about anything to do with cars, mechanic, ROR etc. Oh and incase I didn't say it, they look stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

corktina wrote: »
    I've got to say that if you have a bad attitude with the Gards, you are going to have more trouble from them than you would have. I have always been able to talk my way out of trouble by being pleasant and up front...and the first thing I would do is wind down my window before the guy had to knock!
    Exactly the right approach to take . I have also found that as i got older, my ability to talk my way out of situations . Most Gardai are reasonable, but as in any line of work you will come across assholes . No point trying to fight them, as the more you push them, the more certain you can be, that they will find something to do you for . And when you have taken a day off work , gone to court, and he doesn't bother to show up, the case will be thrown out. No one will want to listen to the inconvenience you have endured by having to go to court, and likely and you will be down a days pay .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

The Germans didn't always use the new font, I used to like their old oval plates :

4349420.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

Clutchkick wrote: »

Basically if he pulls me for them can i politely tell him to **** off and is it possible to just type the reg in to those yolks??

Why do you believe the number plate rules that everyone else on the road has to abide by don't apply to special people like yourself ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

German style plates are cool

In 2002 maybe, when very few had them, now they are for skangers and their bangers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

testicle wrote: »
    Your mate (and you) are the pricks, not the guard doing his job. These plates are illegal.

Can you point us to where we can read that specific law?
    bbam wrote: »
    I can't understand the problem.
    It widely known that non standard fonts on your plates attracts the attention of the law.
    They have a job to do, they can't be expected to type in the plate of every car they meet, the whole idea is that they don't have to.
    It's easy to tell from the tone of OP's post that they have the typical boy racer poor attitude to the guards. To be honest I feel the guards let too much go with these guys. Non standard Number plates, excessive window tints, huge sun visors, zero tolerance should be shown.
    OP, your friend should be apologising to the Guard for wasting his time, correct the number plates and learn the lesson.

I have them on my car.
    I have been stopped at checkpoints.
    I have been pulled over for excess speed by the T.C.

Never once was there any form of discussion on the plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭ljpg

vectra wrote: »
    Can you point us to where we can read that specific law?

I have them on my car.
    I have been stopped at checkpoints.
    I have been pulled over for excess speed by the T.C.

Never once was there any form of discussion on the plates.

just because they didnt notice them those times does'nt mean they wont notice them the next time,my point is why bother? they look stupid!!,why give them an excuse to hassle ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Right so we've concluded that apart from the "They look stupid" ideology on the subject, that there's no real reason they shouldn't be allowed.

haters14.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Clutchkick wrote: »
    As for doing his job i don't think that includes trying to intimidate and bully the quietest and shyest 17 year old you could ever meet who only recently admitted (this all happened a few months ago btw) that his main concern at the side of the road was not to start crying while the gard attempted to give himself a ruptured blood vestle and i could go on and on about stuff i've heard this fella has done to people.

In all fairness, whoever was with him in the car should have been doing the talking... was he the owner of the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

http://www.google.com/search?q=german+number+plates+ireland&hl=en&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=qB1WUOfvL8TIhAfYsICgCw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=672#biv=i|13;d|JRnjVSyoJGXPgM:

Can't see how ANPR is not picking up the correct German Font. Unless the ANPR is in need of updating which is more likely the problem.
    The Garda should report it to the IT support section and ask why it's not picking up the font on a search. I'm sure the Polizei have no issues with their ANPR and Irish registered vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

Right so we've concluded that apart from the "They look stupid" ideology on the subject, that there's no real reason they shouldn't be allowed.

Not necessarily, I think all that can be concluded so far, is that no one seems to know for certain whether they are legal or not. Maybe all we can conclude is that the statute needs updating so that the guess work is taken out of what is and isn't legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

ljpg wrote: »
    just because they didnt notice them those times does'nt mean they wont notice them the next time,my point is why bother? they look stupid!!,why give them an excuse to hassle ya?

I think green cars look stupid.

Well they are a NCT failure point now, I would presume that means they are not 'road legal' here.

bbability wrote: »

Can't see how ANPR is not picking up the correct German Font. Unless the ANPR is in need of updating which is more likely the problem.
    The Garda should report it to the IT support section and ask why it's not picking up the font on a search. I'm sure the Polizei have no issues with their ANPR and Irish registered vehicles.

It will probably need updating next year for the new plates so they may as well include the german font while they are at it.

Which are going to be illegal anyway when they approach big numbers.
    That will be interesting.

It will probably need updating next year for the new plates so they may as well include the german font while they are at it.

Which are going to be illegal anyway when they approach big numbers.
    That will be interesting.

We could just have bigger number plates !
    13-WAGON.jpg

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

mb1725 wrote: »
    Well they are a NCT failure point now, I would presume that means they are not 'road legal' here.
    If they won't pass the NCT, I seriously doubt they are legal.

Funny you should mention that.
    Recently took the Toledo for the nct and it did indeed fail the nct on two points, one being the german plates,
    BUT
    The only point of the plates that did fail was the break in the Zero "0"

There was a car directly in front of mine and it too had german plates but with no zero and it passed.

I queried this with the tester and he said it was because of the break in the zero.

So,
    My question is this,
    Are they in fact a definite NCT fail or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Here is the difference between a normal plate and the German style one.
    220942.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Here is the difference between a normal plate and the German style one.
    220942.jpg
    Not quite...

You've put a legal irish plate and a not-legal german font one (missing dashes / county name). Why not compare like with like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Took the M3 through the NCT recently and it failed on... get this... NOTHING.

Including my german 'font' plates inclusive of the 'broken zero'

Funny you should mention that.
    Recently took the Toledo for the nct and it did indeed fail the nct on two points, one being the german plates,
    BUT
    The only point of the plates that did fail was the break in the Zero "0"

There was a car directly in front of mine and it too had german plates but with no zero and it passed.

I queried this with the tester and he said it was because of the break in the zero.

So,
    My question is this,
    Are they in fact a definite NCT fail or not?

Advertisement