Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda ANPR

Options
  • 15-09-2012 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Well lads,a mate of mine was pulled by the traffic corps a while ago and took some abuse from a prick on a power trip for his plates.The plates had a German style font,they didn't have the German crests or the D instead of IRL like you'd see on some cars going around,they had IRL,the county in irish on top,hyphens you name it,it was all in line with this http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/vehicle_standards/vehicle_registration_numbers.html

I'd say something if they had a fancy hand writing font,some people might find it hard to read from a distance but with the German font,most people couldn't even tell the difference.The gard told him that they were "illegal" because their ANPR couldn't read them.I'm sure that's an inconvenience for them but i can't see how that makes it illegal and surley to God there's a way of just typing the reg in?

The reason why i ask is because i have the same style plates on my car and i really don't want to be hassled by this prick the next time he's in town,the local gards don't mind it's just that this fella likes to come home and terrorise the place every second day(Yea...He's from the town even though you're not allowed to be based where you're originally from or any where you have family,he gets around that by being based at a traffic corp base about an hour away.and spends most of his time on duty at home watching telly with the squad car parked on his drive).

Basically if he pulls me for them can i politely tell him to **** off and is it possible to just type the reg in to those yolks??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

From a bit of googleing about, It looks like the font could be an issue.

It looks like only certain fonts meet the legal requirements for a plate.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1999/en/si/0432.html

Section 14 is the part to read, regarding the rules of the character font. From what I can gather, it boils down to a sans serif, monospaced font.

It could be a good idea to investigate a bit further regarding the font your plates, just so you know exactly where you stand with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Did you nct the car with those plates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Why call him a prick? He's doing his job. The law is pretty clear about fonts, spacing etc. German style plates are illegal, some Guards turn a blind eye, some don't. It causes several issues, Garda ANPR, tolls etc. End of the day, keep them on the car if you want, but you risk a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

a screw that holds your number plate on could set off the ANPR if positioned right on a number or something.

happened to my boss on his reg, the last digit and had a screw going threw it and it came back on the ANPR as a stolen car.

the lads did a manual check and all was grand.

is that illegal ?

doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Clutchkick

Senna wrote: »
    Did you nct the car with those plates?
    No not yet any way but tbh i wouldn't go by them,what ever about gards but who hasn't failed an NCT on something they were later told by a trusted mechanic there was nothing wrong with....me anyway,€1150s worth.

• Advertisement

SgtBob wrote: »
    From a bit of googleing about, It looks like the font could be an issue.

It looks like only certain fonts meet the legal requirements for a plate.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1999/en/si/0432.html

Section 14 is the part to read, regarding the rules of the character font. From what I can gather, it boils down to a sans serif, monospaced font.

It could be a good idea to investigate a bit further regarding the font your plates, just so you know exactly where you stand with them.
    I think thats the problem with Irish law,it's too general,they can do you for whatever they want and claim it under just about any law they want.

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Why call him a prick? He's doing his job. The law is pretty clear about fonts, spacing etc. German style plates are illegal, some Guards turn a blind eye, some don't. It causes several issues, Garda ANPR, tolls etc. End of the day, keep them on the car if you want, but you risk a fine.
    I'm afraid it's not very clear about fonts infact it doesn't mention them at all,thats the problem and don't worry he's a prick alright and i'm not the kind of person to generalise when it come to the gards.The young fella who was pulled asked me go to the local station with him when he had to bring down all his partculers because he was fairly shaken up after it (that should give you an idea of the young fella and the ordeal he went through),we ended up in the station for the bones of an hour having one of the best laughs i've ever had with the gard on duty(different gard).

As for doing his job i don't think that includes trying to intimidate and bully the quietest and shyest 17 year old you could ever meet who only recently admitted (this all happened a few months ago btw) that his main concern at the side of the road was not to start crying while the gard attempted to give himself a ruptured blood vestle and i could go on and on about stuff i've heard this fella has done to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭ljpg

i myself am a car enthusiast,always owned performance cars and probably always will,i've had more arguments on the side of the road with garda regarding number plates being too small,wrong font size etc etc,was threatened with court if i was caught again,my advice is just put the proper ones back on,why give the pricks the satisfaction of stopping ya,dont get me wrong a lot of the garda are sound but your bound to come across the "deputy dog" on the power trip,roll up to the checkpoint,(dont open the window make them knock!!!!):D,let them look around the car and sail on thru,no hassle,maybe i'm gettin old but most fancy number plates especially the german style ones look just plain stupid anyways so why bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Your mate (and you) are the pricks, not the guard doing his job. These plates are illegal.

testicle wrote: »
    Your mate (and you) are the pricks, not the guard doing his job. These plates are illegal.
    whow:eek:....where did that come from?...are you having a bad morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭Terrontress

German style plates are cool but not worth getting in trouble for. You'll annoy the Guard even more by not giving him a reason to bust you.

The Gardai can't type in the plate manually in to ANPR because the whole point of ANPR is that it does the checking instead of them, checking every car they pass on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

This has been argued here and other forums before and my understanding is that, according to the letter of the law, German font plates are NOT illegal. There should also be no issue with ANPR - the font was originally designed for clarity of reading for camera systems etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I've got to say that if you have a bad attitude with the Gards, you are going to have more trouble from them than you would have. I have always been able to talk my way out of trouble by being pleasant and up front...and the first thing I would do is wind down my window before the guy had to knock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I can't understand the problem.
    It widely known that non standard fonts on your plates attracts the attention of the law.
    They have a job to do, they can't be expected to type in the plate of every car they meet, the whole idea is that they don't have to.
    It's easy to tell from the tone of OP's post that they have the typical boy racer poor attitude to the guards. To be honest I feel the guards let too much go with these guys. Non standard Number plates, excessive window tints, huge sun visors, zero tolerance should be shown.
    OP, your friend should be apologising to the Guard for wasting his time, correct the number plates and learn the lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

This has been argued here and other forums before and my understanding is that, according to the letter of the law, German font plates are NOT illegal. There should also be no issue with ANPR - the font was originally designed for clarity of reading for camera systems etc.

Was talking to a traffic corps garda recently who mentioned that ANPR does have problems with the German plates - the D and 0 cause character recognition problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Clutchkick wrote: »
    whow:eek:....where did that come from?...are you having a bad morning?
    What's wrong? It's ok for you to call people names but how dare anyone question you? Bit precious, no?

As for them entering the registering manually, yes thats exactly what they should do with their automatic number plate recognition system. It's not their job to make allowances for your illegal plates.

The rest of the car probably has enough stick on tat , leave the bit that's the're for an important purpose alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Clutchkick wrote: »
    Well lads,a mate of mine was pulled by the traffic corps a while ago and took some abuse from a prick on a power trip for his plates.The plates had a German style font,they didn't have the German crests or the D instead of IRL like you'd see on some cars going around,they had IRL,the county in irish on top,hyphens you name it,it was all in line with this http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/vehicle_standards/vehicle_registration_numbers.html

I'd say something if they had a fancy hand writing font,some people might find it hard to read from a distance but with the German font,most people couldn't even tell the difference.The gard told him that they were "illegal" because their ANPR couldn't read them.I'm sure that's an inconvenience for them but i can't see how that makes it illegal and surley to God there's a way of just typing the reg in?

The reason why i ask is because i have the same style plates on my car and i really don't want to be hassled by this prick the next time he's in town,the local gards don't mind it's just that this fella likes to come home and terrorise the place every second day(Yea...He's from the town even though you're not allowed to be based where you're originally from or any where you have family,he gets around that by being based at a traffic corp base about an hour away.and spends most of his time on duty at home watching telly with the squad car parked on his drive).

Basically if he pulls me for them can i politely tell him to **** off and is it possible to just type the reg in to those yolks??
    Tell your mate to grow up and get proper plates on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

What's wrong? It's ok for you to call people names but how dare anyone question you? Bit precious, no?

As for them entering the registering manually, yes thats exactly what they should do with their automatic number plate recognition system. It's not their job to make allowances for your illegal plates.

The rest of the car probably has enough stick on tat , leave the bit that's the're for an important purpose alone.

+ 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

corktina wrote: »
    I've got to say that if you have a bad attitude with the Gards, you are going to have more trouble from them than you would have. I have always been able to talk my way out of trouble by being pleasant and up front...and the first thing I would do is wind down my window before the guy had to knock!

It wasn't the op that said that. It was another poster. However I would agree that it would be a foolish thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭ljpg

corktina wrote: »

sure thats no fun:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

On what grounds is the op a prick? Seems perfectly reasonable that there is one bad egg guard causing sh1t in a local town over illegal or legal plates. The op stated that he didn't generalise about the force and had a laugh with another member at the station. Or, did you just read the bit where it said German plates and guards?
    I will not call you a prick because I will get banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

As much as I dislike german plates on Irish cars, I do believe they are legal (the font) and as long as there is no stick on tat on the plate I see no problem. Does your mate have a bolt in an awkward place?

Being awkward with a garda won't help things either, I learned that at a very young age

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Daveddub

mmcn90 wrote: »

I don't have a thank you button yet, or I would have just pushed it for this post.
    No confusion in my mind as to who is being the penis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

If you break the law, you can expect to be reprimanded by the upholders of the law. You are in the wrong. Get over it and stop wasting Garda time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Thread reminds me of those kids who complain and end up in the media because they decide to dye their hair blue the night before the leaving cert and how the 'pricks' of teachers won't let them do their exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭Terrontress

dgt wrote: »
    As much as I dislike german plates on Irish cars, I do believe they are legal (the font) and as long as there is no stick on tat on the plate I see no problem. Does your mate have a bolt in an awkward place?

Being awkward with a garda won't help things either, I learned that at a very young age

I think it's maybe the zero where the issues are because there is a break in the character. Most Irish cars have been registered between 2000-2010 so most people can't get away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Maggie 2 wrote: »
    If you break the law, you can expect to be reprimanded by the upholders of the law. You are in the wrong. Get over it and stop wasting Garda time.

But it's not certain that the law was broken. As has been pointed out before the law does not prescribe a particular font but does provide a graphic which every plate must correspond to.

However I don't think you can take the font shown on the graphic as gospel. From what I can see a great many plates have a font similar but not identical to that shown in the graphic.

cadaliac wrote: »
    On what grounds is the op a prick? Seems perfectly reasonable that there is one bad egg guard causing sh1t in a local town over illegal or legal plates. The op stated that he didn't generalise about the force and had a laugh with another member at the station. Or, did you just read the bit where it said German plates and guards?
    I will not call you a prick because I will get banned.
    Believe it or not most that conversation with the gard in the station was about joining.At the time myself and my freind were mad to do it specifically for the traffic corp(I think we'd prefer to be in the RSU now since that came in)but in the end we decided we wouldn't have the balls for certain aspects,god I'd love to get me hands on one of those xc70 police editions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

This thread reminds me why I decided not put German plates on my car even though I like the look of them.

Unfortunately they attract the wrong kind of attention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

deandean wrote: »
    This thread reminds me why I decided not put German plates on my car even though I like the look of them.

Unfortunately they attract the wrong kind of attention.
    Oh yes with their fake stadt and TUV stickers together with D on the country band.

Attracts the Gardaí like flies to honey.

Advertisement