Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Seat Mega Thread! Please post all your car seat questions here!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Suucee wrote: »
    No isofix . Mmm so rules that out.

Suucee what about the britax ERF seats that have a foot prop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Millem wrote: »
    Suucee what about the britax ERF seats that have a foot prop?

The guys in belfast recommended 2 way elite or britax maxway. The maxway looks like it doesnt rest on front seat so might be better. Budget is a huge problem for us though especially as we already have 3 seats (extra one since we used to have 2 cars but not any more). I was looking at joie stages (rf to 18kg) but belt looks like it goes across (kind of in tge way).
    Im so torn.

The guys in belfast recommended 2 way elite or britax maxway. The maxway looks like it doesnt rest on front seat so might be better. Budget is a huge problem for us though especially as we already have 3 seats (extra one since we used to have 2 cars but not any more). I was looking at joie stages (rf to 18kg) but belt looks like it goes across (kind of in tge way).
    Im so torn.

Does the max way have a foot prop? I think the foot prop ones don't have to lean on seats?? Tbh I don't think the joie one is a good as britax. I think the max way has passed the Swedish plus test. Sell your old seats and it might help pay for the new ones ;)
    I sold my besafe izi go for €100

It was actually the hi way he recommended not maxway. jeez so bloody confusing. im hoping to get erf to 25kg and try 2.5yr old in it for a while see how that goes as baba still has another little while in is current one. Hoping she will tolerate it but a little worried as she is so long ff.

what is a foot prop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Is there a place I can go to and get impartial non sales advice on the car seats I should be using for my 6 and 4 year old?

I've found the Which? website good, but you do need to check the Best Buys are compatible with your particular car(s) elsewhere before purchasing.

It was actually the hi way he recommended not maxway. jeez so bloody confusing. im hoping to get erf to 25kg and try 2.5yr old in it for a while see how that goes as baba still has another little while in is current one. Hoping she will tolerate it but a little worried as she is so long ff.

what is a foot prop?

A foot prop is the "leg" that goes down to the floor, it is on the isofix infant car seats but also on some ERF seats. If your car has underfloor storage you can't use these seats (regardless of what tony kealy says :mad: ) as the floor is not solid. The TWE doesn't have one of these "legs" but props itself on the seat infront but my max fix 2 does have one (it is isofix) I think in a crash they prevent the car seat from rotating.

Tony kealy actually has a britax ERF seat "max way" for €269 (Black Friday weekend price) so you could check it out in the flesh. I was actually looking into it but our minder has underfloor storage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Just starting to think about next stage car seats and a seat for the minders car once I'm back at work. Don't know where to start in terms of research. Can anyone point me towards a good resource covering the different options (FF vs. ERF, stages, isofix vs. non etc.)

The thought of having to replace our one maxi cosi with potentially three fixed seats (me, Hubbie, childminder) seems mad!

A foot prop is the "leg" that goes down to the floor, it is on the isofix infant car seats but also on some ERF seats. If your car has underfloor storage you can't use these seats (regardless of what tony kealy says :mad: ) as the floor is not solid. The TWE doesn't have one of these "legs" but props itself on the seat infront but my max fix 2 does have one (it is isofix) I think in a crash they prevent the car seat from rotating.

Tony kealy actually has a britax ERF seat "max way" for €269 (Black Friday weekend price) so you could check it out in the flesh. I was actually looking into it but our minder has underfloor storage.

no under floor storage. Also no way to get to tony kealys.
    That does look like it ticks all the boxes and pretty decent price.
    ICSC does it but in store only.

no under floor storage. Also no way to get to tony kealys.
    That does look like it ticks all the boxes and pretty decent price.
    ICSC does it but in store only.

I would ring icsc about it, they should discuss it with you and you could tell them that you would go up to get it if it ticks the boxes! Or have you emailed the Swedish man Hakan? He is great.
    http://shop.carseat.se/car-seats/britax-max-way.htmlDouble check that it doesn't need to lean off front seat etc and if you are happy you could order off tony kealy and it's free delivery :)

(Icsc do not price match but will give a discount if you buy 2 or more seats)

i wouldn't bother ringing tony kealy about it as honestly they really don't know much about ERF seats! :rolleyes:

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    Just starting to think about next stage car seats and a seat for the minders car once I'm back at work. Don't know where to start in terms of research. Can anyone point me towards a good resource covering the different options (FF vs. ERF, stages, isofix vs. non etc.)

The thought of having to replace our one maxi cosi with potentially three fixed seats (me, Hubbie, childminder) seems mad!

http://incarsafetycentre.co.uk/category/extended-rear-facing/
    ERF was a no brainer for me, So I can't help you on ff!
    I bought two car seats, an isofix one and a non isofix one. I have the isofix one now in my car (I put it in OH car at the weekend) and minder has non isofix one due to underfloor storage as baby did not like sitting in the middle seat of her car!! ;)

My OH insisted on getting 1 isofix whereas I would just have bought 2 britax TWE as they go up to 25kg and the isofix seat only goes up to 18kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Hey all, I've read through this thread and I'm as confused as ever. Need a new seat for my 2.5 year old. She wouldn't sit still with just our seat belt on a high back booster. she's currently in a britax eclipse. can anyone shed light for me please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Is she too big for the Britax Eclipse? I had that seat and I moved my son this summer when he was 3.5 and 16kg (it goes up to 18kg). I had to get a new seat as he broke the polystyrene at the back. I got a Britax evolva 1-2-3 as I wanted him to stay in a harness, it has a harness up to 18kg and then moves to a booster. If you look at the reviews a lot of the group 1-2-3 seats get a poor safety record but looking deeper into the results it's often more to do with their performance as a group 1 seat. I certaintly wouldn't feel comfortable putting a 9-month old in the seat I bought but my son loves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My son is 4 in January but he's 15kg. Do I have to wait until he is 18kg to move him into the next car seat stage? His sister likes to vomit all over hers on a regular basis so we need to get her a new one but obviously it would be cheaper to buy my son a booster and put her in his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

The Britax evolva 1-2-3 that I linked to in the above post would be suitable for your son. He can keep the harness until 18kg and then convert it to a booster + adult strap. My son is 4 on Jan too, he's 16kg but he's been that weight for a while so I've no idea how long it will be before he hits the 18kg.

Are there any specific guidelines as to when the head support pillow can be removed from the maxi cosi car seat? Little one has very long legs so we removed the wedge pillow under the bum at about 3 months as her feet were over the edge. Now she is looking quite squashed around head and shoulder area and hates getting into her seat so I'd like to remove the head pillow but won't if it's too early in terms of safety. She's 5 months next week. Not very heavy - maybe 14/15lbs, but quite long and slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭kave2

Anyone got BeSafe iZi Plus Car Interior? Looking for rear facing seat with good recline and iZi plus ticks all the boxes. My only worry is that the little one is very tall and how long he will be able to use it. Thanks for advice.

kave2 wrote: »
    Anyone got BeSafe iZi Plus Car Interior? Looking for rear facing seat with good recline and iZi plus ticks all the boxes. My only worry is that the little one is very tall and how long he will be able to use it. Thanks for advice.

My boy is crazy tall and is in 99th percentile for height, for this reason numerous retailers only recommended britax TWE as it is the tallest seat on the market.
    He had outgrown (in height) his besafe Izi go by 6/7 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭kave2

My boy is crazy tall and is in 99th percentile for height, for this reason numerous retailers only recommended britax TWE as it is the tallest seat on the market.
    He had outgrown (in height) his besafe Izi go by 6/7 months.

Do you mean Izi go? Thats group 0.
    I meant Izi plus
    http://www.besafe.com/en/car-seat-products/toddlers-car-seat-0-18-0-25kg/izi-plus

I know Britax TWE, but it doesn't recline much.
    Btw, little one was 81 cm tall at 8 1/2 months.

kave2 wrote: »
    Do you mean Izi go? Thats group 0.
    I meant Izi plus
    http://www.besafe.com/en/car-seat-products/toddlers-car-seat-0-18-0-25kg/izi-plus

I know Britax TWE, but it doesn't recline much.
    Btw, little one was 81 cm tall at 8 1/2 months.

I know the car seat you mean......it goes up to 25kg. we had a besafe izi go (only goes to 13kg) as his baby seat which we got in our bugaboo package. I was trying to give you an indication of his height ;)

I can't remember how many cm he measured at that that age! I love the two way elite, do you not think it reclines much? I installed it today in my car (as it is our minder's seat) and you basically pick the recline you want by adjusting front seat.

The retailers I contacted said the TWE was pretty much my only option if I wanted to keep him rearward facing till 4 because he was so tall!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I had 2 in the 99% and one in the 9th, the besave izi combi did both of them and still does the 1 year old now .
    When they get too big ,take a look at kiddy.De for very good car seats .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

http://www.mothercare.ie/car-seats-carriers/car-seats/forward-facing-car-seats-group-1/casual-play-multi-protector-fix-black.html

Or
    http://www.kiddy.de/kindersitze/kindersitz-9m-12j/kindersitz-kiddy-guardianfix-pro-2-gruppe-123-kindersitz.html
    I need a new car seat for my 2 yr old and from reading past old posts I see the kiddy ones being mentioned. It's just that after using the shoulder straps with 2 yrs i'm a bit worried about not having them but also liking the idea of these seats. Anyone got the casual play one or the kiddy one recently?
    The fact that they'll go to 11 yrs of age is swaying me to them, no point in buying another new seat to change it in 2 yrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

@tazwaz - the jury seems to be out on the impact shield style restraint.
    http://www.sikkerautostol.dk/2013/03/kollisionspude-vs-bagudvendtimpact-shield-vs-rearfacing-2/
    And from checking out online there seems to be anecdotal evidence of active little ones wriggling out over or under the shield and getting stuck with these systems.
    Our two ERF seats are both five point - but this doesn't stop our little girl getting her arms out from under the shoulder straps sometimes when determined!

-Coley.

Thanks for that coley.
    Do any of ye have this one? Yet again I'm thinking best to buy something that will do long term. I've read a load of reviews and people seem happy with it, one reviewer said i have to decide before i start a journey whether to recline or not, that mean i can't recline the seat mid journey unless i take the child out of it?

http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/baby/car-seats-booster/c-593/group-0-1-birth-4-years-approx-/p-5539/joie-stages-group-0-1-2-car-seat/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

We have one, I don't know about the recline while ffing but there is only 1 position while rfing. I think Tony Kealys are starting to stock them too, they might be good to ring to see if it would fit in your car.

tazwaz wrote: »
    Thanks for that coley.
    Do any of ye have this one? Yet again I'm thinking best to buy something that will do long term. I've read a load of reviews and people seem happy with it, one reviewer said i have to decide before i start a journey whether to recline or not, that mean i can't recline the seat mid journey unless i take the child out of it?

http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/baby/car-seats-booster/c-593/group-0-1-birth-4-years-approx-/p-5539/joie-stages-group-0-1-2-car-seat/

We have 2 of these. Halfords are doing them for 159.
    I have both mine RF. 9 month old and 2.5yr old. You only have one position when RF.

• Advertisement

We have 2 of these. Halfords are doing them for 159.
    I have both mine RF. 9 month old and 2.5yr old. You only have one position when RF.

Thanks suucee, my little boy is 2 and has been forward facing with a while but the more i read about rear facing the more i want to change it. I wonder would he settle into it after being forward facing? I need a new car seat anyway so it's worth a try :-) our local halfords are out of stock but I'll ring them in the morn to see if they can get me one.

tazwaz wrote: »
    Thanks suucee, my little boy is 2 and has been forward facing with a while but the more i read about rear facing the more i want to change it. I wonder would he settle into it after being forward facing? I need a new car seat anyway so it's worth a try :-) our local halfords are out of stock but I'll ring them in the morn to see if they can get me one.

My daughter was FF from 13 months to 2yrs and 7 months. we changed her back to RF a month ago and she settled in it no problem.
    I only learned of RF as my 9 month old was getting too big for his seat and i thought he was a little young to FF at 9 months. When i looked in to it i realised how much safer it was to have them both RF. I ordered them in my local halfords and went to collect. i got 1 fitted and popped her in and wasnt a bother on her so got the second one.
    She's been in it a month and no issues. In fact loves loves looking around.
    She looks so much more comfortable and falls asleep in it on long journeys which she hasnt done in months.
    She's 90cm tall, 13.5kg, in 3-4yrs (4-5 if pennys)clothes and has tonnes of space RF.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Yeah we have 2 maxi cosi mobis and 1 Joie stages. Our 2.5 year old has always rear faced. Tbh some people have asked me if he's bored facing that way, but if he was forward facing he'd be looking at a head rest and would still see the same amount as he does now out the side window. He's happy enough looking at the trucks and cars out the back window, plus when one of us sits in the back with him it's easier to play or talk to him as the adult is facing the other way and they can see face to face rather than leaning around the car edge. Even if he was bored the safety issue would steer me rfing. He's only 14.6kgs, so has a good bit to go before the Joie needs to be turned. The other seats go up to 25kgs, so we will be rfing for a long while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

I'm watching this thread with interest as I need to buy 3 new seats in the next few months! Baby still fits into his maxi-cosi cabriofix at the moment but I'm back to work in less than 2 months and my OH will be doing the drop-off to crèche, I'll be collecting, and my Dad will be the emergency contact, so 3 cars need to be covered.

My OH's car is the main family car which will be used for longer journeys etc so we're researching the most suitable ERF option for this. We don't mind having to spend a bit on this one.

For my car I want an ERF seat that fits in a car with limited space between the passenger and back seats - any suggestions? I have isofix. It is the secondary car but will be used daily on weekdays for short journeys.

My Dad will only be bringing him on very infrequent and short journeys so cost and ease of use is the issue - I want something compact and that will last for a good few years - it doesn't need to be ERF (in fact I'm thinking of a standard 1-2-3 option). I'd say he'll generally leave it fitted but ease of installation is a must as I know there will be times he'll need to take it out.

Had anyone got any suggestions for a compact ERF and a simple, reasonable grandparent seat? Thanks in advance!

I'm watching this thread with interest as I need to buy 3 new seats in the next few months! Baby still fits into his maxi-cosi cabriofix at the moment but I'm back to work in less than 2 months and my OH will be doing the drop-off to crèche, I'll be collecting, and my Dad will be the emergency contact, so 3 cars need to be covered.

My OH's car is the main family car which will be used for longer journeys etc so we're researching the most suitable ERF option for this. We don't mind having to spend a bit on this one.

For my car I want an ERF seat that fits in a car with limited space between the passenger and back seats - any suggestions? I have isofix. It is the secondary car but will be used daily on weekdays for short journeys.

My Dad will only be bringing him on very infrequent and short journeys so cost and ease of use is the issue - I want something compact and that will last for a good few years - it doesn't need to be ERF (in fact I'm thinking of a standard 1-2-3 option). I'd say he'll generally leave it fitted but ease of installation is a must as I know there will be times he'll need to take it out.

Had anyone got any suggestions for a compact ERF and a simple, reasonable grandparent seat? Thanks in advance!

Mary I would highly recommend getting 3 x britax TWEs for all the reasons below:
    1)They will fit in any car small or large and they don't have a supporting leg so you don't need to worry about storage compartments.
    2)They won't break the bank on price and incarsafety will give you a very good discount ;) you would defo get 3 for less than the price of 2 2way pearls.
    3)If your dad's car you can just leave in the tether straps when he is not using it
    4)They go up to 25kg and are the tallest seat on the market.
    5) If you want to resell them when you are finished you will get half your money back judging by what I have seen in adverts.
    6) You can turn them forward facing when the time comes if you wish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Hi all.

Our 1 year old has just about outgrown his Cabriofix seat and base.

We want the next car seat to also be rear facing for safety.

Our car is an older BMW 5 series which does not have isofix and it cannot be retro fitted.

Is there a rear facing seat that people here could recommend please?

We would like him to be rear facing until he is at least 2, but possibly longer.

MtM

Hi all.

Our 1 year old has just about outgrown his Cabriofix seat and base.

We want the next car seat to also be rear facing for safety.

Our car is an older BMW 5 series which does not have isofix and it cannot be retro fitted.

Is there a rear facing seat that people here could reccommend please?

We would like him to be rear facing until he is at least 2, but possibly longer.

MtM

Britax two way elite :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Britax two way elite :)

Thanks to Millem for responding. 3 quick questions after reading all 11 pages of this thread :-)

1. Where is the best place to source the Britax 2 Way Elite - and preferably fit it (though I can probably manage it myself). We are in Limerick.

2. Is there any alternative to the Britax Two way Elite? I've seen the Maxi Cosi Mobi, BeSafe iZi Kid i-Size, Joie Stages, Kiss 2 and Triofix Recline mentioned a few places in these threads - are any of these better? Our journeys are mostly short with the little one, but sometimes there are 2 hour+ journeys, so a seat that reclines to faciltate sleep would be welcome.

3. A second car that a grandparent will use a few times a week HAS an ISOFIX point. If we change our car in the next 12 months. we will also look for Isofix points. What rear-facing seat would people recommend as a second seat? We are thinking of a Maxi Cosi 2 way Pearl?

Thanks.
    MtM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

Thanks to Millem for responding. 3 quick questions after reading all 11 pages of this thread :-)

1. Where is the best place to source the Britax 2 Way Elite - and preferably fit it (though I can probably manage it myself). We are in Limerick.

2. Is there any alternative to the Britax Two way Elite? I've seen the Maxi Cosi Mobi, BeSafe iZi Kid i-Size, Joie Stages, Kiss 2 and Triofix Recline mentioned a few places in these threads - are any of these better? Our journeys are mostlt short with the little one, but sometimes there are 2 hour+ journeys, so a seat that reclines to faciltate sleep would be welcome.

3. A second car that a grandparent will use a few times a week HAS an ISOFIX point. If we change our car in the next 12 months. we will also look for Isofix points. What rear-facing seat would people recommend as a second seat? We are thinking of a Maxi Cosi 2 way Pearl?

Thanks.
    MtM
    I have 2 maxi cosi two way pearl seats and love them. Our son is over 14 months and has room to grow in it so will be staying rear facing for a while yet. He's tall but skinny for his age and we are delighted with our choice. I noticed though that maxi cosi is releasing a 360 swivel isofix seat through mothercare called the axis fix I think That might also be worth considering.

2. Is there any alternative to the Britax Two way Elite? I've seen the Maxi Cosi Mobi, BeSafe iZi Kid i-Size, Joie Stages, Kiss 2 and Triofix Recline mentioned a few places in these threads - are any of these better? Our journeys are mostly short with the little one, but sometimes there are 2 hour+ journeys, so a seat that reclines to faciltate sleep would be welcome.

Thanks.
    MtM

Incarsafetycentre in Belfast offer free delivery. It is sooo simple to install tbh even easier than my isofix ERF seat if that is possible.
    I can't recommend it highly enough. I would buy two as grandparents can just leave tether straps in car. My baby only goes very short distances with his minder (somedays they don't even use the car) but I would still want him in an ERF seat as accident can happen anywhere.

I was a bit obsessed with wanted isofix tbh but one thing you need to consider is if your new car has underfloor storage boxes (which a huge number of family cars do) you can't use an car seat that has a supporting leg.
    I know I will end up buying another TWE in 2 years as my isofix only goes to 18kg. Incarsafetycentre told me to buy two TWE but I insisted on getting one isofix.

The 2way pearl is fab but is one of the shortest seats on the market, neither incarsafetycentre or Hakan would even sell it to me as I would get so little time as my baby is very tall.

Someone told me (can't remember) that the joie stages did not do well in crash tests.

Maxi cosi mobi has a leg so didn't look at it. The triofix did not have a good recline but they have a new one out now which does recline. The kiss2 and triofix came highly recommended by Hakan but I think what put me off was I didn't really know anyone who had them ;)

Tbh as I said before britax TWE goes up to 25kg and can turn forward if you wish. You will get two for around €500 :)

Does anyone have opinions as to the best stage 0+/1 seats? I'm due back to work in four weeks so need two seats for husband and minder. As of today baby is only 6.46kg so way off fitting the 9kg+ seats like Britax TWE etc. I will continue to use the Maxi Cosi Cabriofix until she outgrows it and then buy a seat at that stage.

Does anyone have opinions as to the best stage 0+/1 seats? I'm due back to work in four weeks so need two seats for husband and minder. As of today baby is only 6.46kg so way off fitting the 9kg+ seats like Britax TWE etc. I will continue to use the Maxi Cosi Cabriofix until she outgrows it and then buy a seat at that stage.

You could get a 0-18kg seat for your minder and then your husband could use your baby seat? I have a max fix 2 http://www.britax.ie/car-seats/car-seats/max-fix-ii
    It has a very similar seat to the dualfix but dualfix can turn around. Max fix 2 is one of the very few car seats that have passed the swedish plus test. You should get it for less than €350

You could get a 0-18kg seat for your minder and then your husband could use your baby seat? I have a max fix 2 http://www.britax.ie/car-seats/car-seats/max-fix-ii
    It has a very similar seat to the dualfix but dualfix can turn around. Max fix 2 is one of the very few car seats that have passed the swedish plus test. You should get it for less than €350

Sorry I wasn't clear - I need the baby seat for use in my own car until she hits 9kg. So I need two new ones now for husband and minder. That seat you linked looks great and I love that it has isofix but two of them would be over budget :(

Sorry I wasn't clear - I need the baby seat for use in my own car until she hits 9kg. So I need two new ones now for husband and minder. That seat you linked looks great and I love that it has isofix but two of them would be over budget :(

I wouldn't waste my money on any more baby seats?
    Would anyone you know have even a base that they could lend you? I found we got loads of offers of them but we had a besafe. You could hand baby over with maxi cosi seat but have isofix base in hubby's car? And but one 0-18kg seat for minder? Or give minder your base and you use seat belt? Boots sell the max fix 2 and regularly have 10% off so you get it for around €330. Alternatively mothercare are selling the casual play bicare for €220 which is 0-18kg but tbh I fitted it in my car and didn't like it at all, too heavy, very big, much harder to install and very limited leg room for whenhttp://www.mothercare.ie/catalogsearch/result/?q=Bicare grows. There was a 10% off code floating around too ;) "WEBJ10"
    You would get two for €400.

I remember when I had to buy my two seats I was not loving the price! We sold our baby besafe as the britax one does for a newborn anyway ;)
    I wish I had just bought it from the start with my bugaboo. Sometimes I find if you go for the cheaper option you end up buying twice so it is more expensive in the long run.

I wouldn't waste my money on any more baby seats?
    Would anyone you know have even a base that they could lend you? I found we got loads of offers of them but we had a besafe. You could hand baby over with maxi cosi seat but have isofix base in hubby's car? And but one 0-18kg seat for minder? Or give minder your base and you use seat belt? Boots sell the max fix 2 and regularly have 10% off so you get it for around €330. Alternatively mothercare are selling the casual play bicare for €220 which is 0-18kg but tbh I fitted it in my car and didn't like it at all, too heavy, very big, much harder to install and very limited leg room for whenhttp://www.mothercare.ie/catalogsearch/result/?q=Bicare grows. There was a 10% off code floating around too ;) "WEBJ10"

I remember when I had to buy my two seats I was not loving the price! We sold our baby besafe as the britax one does for a newborn anyway ;)
    I wish I had just bought it from the start with my bugaboo. Sometimes I find if you go for the cheaper option you end up buying twice so it is more expensive in the long run.

No, I defo won't be buying any more baby seats for such short use! Don't have anyone to borrow baby stuff from unfortunately so need to buy. I'll have to look at all the different permutations and see which will be most cost effective. I like the idea of sharing maxi cosi use but while that saves buying two seats now it just pushes it down the line a few months! Either way I'm going to need three new seats eventually :(

• Advertisement

Alternatively mothercare are selling the casual play bicare for €220 which is 0-18kg but tbh I fitted it in my car and didn't like it at all, too heavy, very big, much harder to install and very limited leg room for whenhttp://www.mothercare.ie/catalogsearch/result/?q=Bicare grows. There was a 10% off code floating around too ;) "WEBJ10"

Just a question on this - in what way was it hard to install.......It it not isofix?

Just a question on this - in what way was it hard to install.......It it not isofix?

It is isofix...it is just very awkward to get it in! It took 2 girls in the shop to do it! Then they put in maxi cosi 2way pearl beside it which was sooo simple to do ;) there was also a lot of movement.
    At the time the bicare was €175 and I was so tempted on price as I had to buy two but I walked away. I know without a doubt I would of ended up buying new seats. Other boardies bought it at the time of deal online and say it is grand though.

It is isofix...it is just very awkward to get it in! It took 2 girls in the shop to do it! Then they put in maxi cosi 2way pearl beside it which was sooo simple to do ;) there was also a lot of movement.
    At the time the bicare was €175 and I was so tempted on price as I had to buy two but I walked away. I know without a doubt I would of ended up buying new seats. Other boardies bought it at the time of deal online and say it is grand though.

I am finding choosing car seats so stressful :( It's just a nightmare. There are so many (presumably perfectly good) seats but I'm tying myself up in knots with the pros and cons of each. I think this is likely to top the time I ordered my travel system in M&P in Dundrum and then sat crying on the bench outside the shop in case I'd made the wrong decision!!

I am finding choosing car seats so stressful :( It's just a nightmare. There are so many (presumably perfectly good) seats but I'm tying myself up in knots with the pros and cons of each. I think this is likely to top the time I ordered my travel system in M&P in Dundrum and then sat crying on the bench outside the shop in case I'd made the wrong decision!!

I know I swear ERF car seats gave me a migraine!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

you made me laugh:)

I had spreadsheets for buying my buggy and car seats, weighing up the pros and cons.

I loved both my single and double buggy though:)

So I was looking at the Britax First Class Plus yesterday. Neither isofix nor ERF though neither are a deal breaker for me. It just seems you get a lot of features for a very reasonable price. Plus it gets very good reviews online. Does anyone have personal experience of this seat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

So I was looking at the Britax First Class Plus yesterday. Neither isofix nor ERF though neither are a deal breaker for me. It just seems you get a lot of features for a very reasonable price. Plus it gets very good reviews online. Does anyone have personal experience of this seat?

This is the seat we have. We had it rearward facing until the small fella beefed up to 9kg and TBH, we did find it a bit awkward getting him in and out of it in the rearward position but that could be down to the height of the ceiling in the car (a mondeo). Since we turned it forward facing, it's been brilliant and can be reclined which is great for when the baby is sleeping or trying to drink a bottle. The small fella has loved the seat since day 1 and there is very little movement in it once it's installed properly. What sold it for us was that a fella who works with my OH had one and was involved in a crash and his little girl was uninjured afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sulli

So looking for some help! My lil fella is needing the next car seat up so from 9 months to 4yrs. I have an Audi A4 without isofix so would need to be the seatbelt secured seat but also want rear facing. I went to Kealys and tried the besafe Izi Plus but it was too big for the car! Any suggestions???:confused:

Just after having a quick look...there is an Izi combi which seems to be smaller.

• Advertisement

sulli wrote: »
    So looking for some help! My lil fella is needing the next car seat up so from 9 months to 4yrs. I have an Audi A4 without isofix so would need to be the seatbelt secured seat but also want rear facing. I went to Kealys and tried the besafe Izi Plus but it was too big for the car! Any suggestions???:confused:

Britax two way elite will Defo otherwise if you want to try before you buy tony kealy sells the britax max way.

Advertisement