Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Seat Mega Thread! Please post all your car seat questions here!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

walshy123 wrote: »
    Pearl does look a lot smaller alright, but I wonder is that just because of the extendable anti rotation brace on the BeSafe. We will have that fully retracted at the start and I suspect we will have had to get a bigger car by the time she needs it extended.

Was it TK that have the Britax and Kiss 2? Might pop down on Saturday

No tony just has besafe, 2way pearl and britax dual fix. Halfords has the britax max fix 2, the shop up the north/Sweden has the kiss2. We have a polo and golf. The britax dualfix is brill too but again the max fix 2 is taller so it will last us longer. The 2way pearl is great but I was told the britax max fix2 will last a year longer because it is taller! Cheapest place to buy the britax max fix2 is boots.ie. I don't want to spend the guts of €475 to find he grows out of it in a year :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

walshy123 wrote: »
    What car out of interest?

I had it in a Primera initially and now a Galaxy,in the Galaxy there is enough space for 3 of them but in the Primera and nearly all salons with 2 of them there is nearly no space in the middle and with the maxi cosi and it ,you can fit a person between them but a very skinny one ;)
    The problem with it in very small cars is the lack of foot room for who ever is in front of it.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I had it in a Primera initially and now a Galaxy,in the Galaxy there is enough space for 3 of them but in the Primera and nearly all salons with 2 of them there is nearly no space in the middle and with the maxi cosi and it ,you can fit a person between them but a very skinny one ;)
    The problem with it in very small cars is the lack of foot room for who ever is in front of it.
    That's it exactly :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

2013Lara wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a narrow 123 seat that won't break the bank? Need to fit a maxi cosi and two 123s in the middle bench part of a Zafira.

The Britax Evolva or any of the Kiddy seats.

My head is actually wrecked trying to pick an ERF seat :( I brought the almost 7 month old baby into Bellababy today in his baby car seat, the girl told me he literally has 2 weeks left in it :eek::eek:
    I knew myself because there is only 1cm until his head hits the top :( she thought he was a year old!!

I am dreading to think about what he weighs :rolleyes: I told my OH we need to order the 2 seats next week. I am thinking now there is seriously no point in going for isofix because I would be super annoyed if I only got till he was 3 and I had spent almost €1k.

I am thinking the britax two way elite is my best bet :) if anyone has this, do I need the head support? I find the one on his besafe izi go gets in the way. Tony kealy stock the britax max way, does anyone have any experience of this seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

Millem wrote: »
    My head is actually wrecked trying to pick an ERF seat :( I brought the almost 7 month old baby into Bellababy today in his baby car seat, the girl told me he literally has 2 weeks left in it :eek::eek:
    I knew myself because there is only 1cm until his head hits the top :( she thought he was a year old!!

I am dreading to think about what he weighs :rolleyes: I told my OH we need to order the 2 seats next week. I am thinking now there is seriously no point in going for isofix because I would be super annoyed if I only got till he was 3 and I had spent almost €1k.

I am thinking the britax two way elite is my best bet :) if anyone has this, do I need the head support? I find the one on his besafe izi go gets in the way. Tony kealy stock the britax max way, does anyone have any experience of this seat?

Hi Millem
    I have the two way elite in both grandparents cars. I don't have the head support but then again my fella was 14 months going into it. It looks to be a comfy seat although doesn't recline that much so whether that might influence your decision on a head rest.
    It's got a really tall back and looks like it'll last a good while (although I think 6 as britax say, might be a bit optimistic!)

Ps that's one tall baby you have there!

Drdoc wrote: »
    Hi Millem
    I have the two way elite in both grandparents cars. I don't have the head support but then again my fella was 14 months going into it. It looks to be a comfy seat although doesn't recline that much so whether that might influence your decision on a head rest.
    It's got a really tall back and looks like it'll last a good while (although I think 6 as britax say, might be a bit optimistic!)

Ps that's one tall baby you have there!

Thanks a million. I would be delighted if we got till 4 out of the seat! I put him into the new 2way pearl (which is a fab seat) and I swear I would say he would only get 2 years max. Did you buy them off the Belfast shop? Is it hard to instal? I am going to buy 2 seats and an extra pair of tether straps and leave them in OH car :)

Thanks a million. I would be delighted if we got till 4 out of the seat! I put him into the new 2way pearl (which is a fab seat) and I swear I would say he would only get 2 years max. Did you buy them off the Belfast shop? Is it hard to instal? I am going to buy 2 seats and an extra pair of tether straps and leave them in OH car :)

Yeah we got them in the Belfast shop. They'll show you there how to install it, although we weren't ready at the time to put it in. They have a really clear video on you tube showing you how to install it so when the time comes it's really easy. Seat is nice and light too, compared to something like the dualfix so easy to manoeuvre when installing :)

Yeah we got them in the Belfast shop. They'll show you there how to install it, although we weren't ready at the time to put it in. They have a really clear video on you tube showing you how to install it so when the time comes it's really easy. Seat is nice and light too, compared to something like the dualfix so easy to manoeuvre when installing :)

They are so great in belfast shop. I looked up the :(video and the seat belt part looks grand the only thing is putting in those tethers. I have emailed them about the two way vs the max way. If they say the max way is just as tall I will get tony kealy to price match :) and also to get them to put in those straps!

I am going to be very cheeky and ask for a discount because I am getting two seats :)

I wish the staff down here were as good as belfast shop, I find half the time teaching them about their seats! Yesterday I was told 2way pearl seat lasts till 4 and it is based on age not height/weight :confused:

• Advertisement

They are so great in belfast shop. I looked up the :(video and the seat belt part looks grand the only thing is putting in those tethers. I have emailed them about the two way vs the max way. If they say the max way is just as tall I will get tony kealy to price match :) and also to get them to put in those straps!

I am going to be very cheeky and ask for a discount because I am getting two seats :)

I wish the staff down here were as good as belfast shop, I find half the time teaching them about their seats! Yesterday I was told 2way pearl seat lasts till 4 and it is based on age not height/weight :confused:

Yeah it's brilliant that they're so knowledgable in the Belfast shop. And we also asked for a discount as we were buying multiple seats and they did give a decent one.
    The tether straps are actually really easy to fit once you've seen it once :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PuddingHead

So I finally got mine a few weeks back, got the Joie Tilt

suitable from birth, rear facing up to 18kg but can face forward from 9kg if you chose

one position when rearfacing (recined)

3 when forward, upright, half and full recline.

Fixed with seatbelt.

75euro in smyths

I'm a happy camper

So I finally got mine a few weeks back, got the Joie Tilt

suitable from birth, rear facing up to 18kg but can face forward from 9kg if you chose

one position when rearfacing (recined)

3 when forward, upright, half and full recline.

Fixed with seatbelt.

75euro in smyths

I'm a happy camper

That was a great bargain! I wonder do they still have any? It might be handy as a spare?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PuddingHead

They don't have them on their website any more but that's not to say they don't have them in stock in the individual stores:

This is the one we planned to get http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/baby/c-586/car-seats-booster/p-5539/joie-stages-group-0-1-2-car-seat/

The Joie Stages, suitible from birth

rear facing to 25kg or can be forward facing from 9kg.

Converts to a stage 2 seat for use up until 7

However was a bit big for the car, so went with the tilt

Yeah it's brilliant that they're so knowledgable in the Belfast shop. And we also asked for a discount as we were buying multiple seats and they did give a decent one.
    The tether straps are actually really easy to fit once you've seen it once :)

Bit the bullet, ordered a britax two way elite for me and a britax max fix 2 for childminders car. They should arrive tomorrow :D
    I know the max fix 2 will only last me till he is around 2 and a half ( let's face it!!) but I would prefer childminder to have isofix as I presume she will want to have her car to herself at weekends and during school hols!! And he will go to montesorri at 2 and a half. The shop told me that if front seat was moved the two way elite would need to be reinstalled and that front seat couldn't really move much because of tethers.
    I got both seats and headrest for £455.50. I didn't manage to get an extra set of tethers thrown :( but you can buy them from tony kealy for €25.

I am raging now that I ever got the besafe izi go as the max fix 2 is from birth to 18kg. I think I will sell the besafe izi go now and isofix base as even if we do have another one they can use the max fix 2.

I hope someone can help me, my TWE arrived and I can't seem to unclip the tether straps from the seat :confused: any advice would be very much appreciated???

• Advertisement

I hope someone can help me, my TWE arrived and I can't seem to unclip the tether straps from the seat :confused: any advice would be very much appreciated???

My husband said he just pressed the buttons to undo the catch?

My husband said he just pressed the buttons to undo the catch?

Thanks a mil. I spent ages trying to figure it out and my OH just walked in and pressed the button and it worked !!! I was trying to press and pull!

I am loving the TWE though. It seems to be pretty much the same seat as the max fix 2, same height etc except way way lighter

Installed the two seats in my car in prep for tuesday. Both are great seats for small cars. The max fix 2 is behind drivers seat and I didn't even need to push my seat forward :)
    The TWE is fab, I prefer it tbh soooooo easy to install in fact I did it quicker than the max fix 2! There is also no movement on it.
    OH prefers max fix2 as it is isofix. There is a little movement on it, I would say the same as the besafe izi go.
    I would recommend the TWE over the max fix 2 if it is your own car (because it needs to rest against front passenger seat). I found that I was fussing over the car seat leaning against the front seat. My OH was like "it's grand", and tbh it wasn't grand!! A lot of people also say they don't like it as they feel there is lesd side impact protection but honestly it is practically the same shell as max fix 2, I think it is an illusion.
    I would recommend max fix 2 if it's in someone else's because once you see the green indicators you are good to go :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Really hope we can get some views and advice on this. We have 2 kids with 18 months between them. Our youngest is very tall and will clearly be out of her maxi cosi a lot sooner than we thought, probably by Christmas. Our second seat is a maxi cosi priorifix, bought 12 months ago because we wanted isofix

We went today to buy the britax evolva 123, but came away more confused. I had researched it and felt it was best option, our 2 year old could use it until 12 and our baby could use priorifix til 4 and we'd decide on another seat by then.

We've never used anything other than isofix so didn't realise that the seatbelt has to be checked so often and stupidly didn't think that after the harness the seat belt would have to secure our child and the seat, baby brain I hope!

So we looked at britax evolva, graco naturlis elite, joie and casualplay (new isofix?)

The isofix one caught our attention but there are no reviews at all. I preferred the britax, my partner the graco and the joie appeals as it's a reduced age range

Can anyone who has gone through this offer some advice. The way we see it we could

1. Buy stage 123 and worry about second seat in 3 years
    2. Buy a second stage 1 car seat and eventually have to potentially buy 2 more within a short period of each other
    3. Buy the casualplay seat and hope it lives up to the salesperson reviews, as isofix is obviously much safer

Really hope we can get some views and advice on this. We have 2 kids with 18 months between them. Our youngest is very tall and will clearly be out of her maxi cosi a lot sooner than we thought, probably by Christmas. Our second seat is a maxi cosi priorifix, bought 12 months ago because we wanted isofix

We went today to buy the britax evolva 123, but came away more confused. I had researched it and felt it was best option, our 2 year old could use it until 12 and our baby could use priorifix til 4 and we'd decide on another seat by then.

We've never used anything other than isofix so didn't realise that the seatbelt has to be checked so often and stupidly didn't think that after the harness the seat belt would have to secure our child and the seat, baby brain I hope!

So we looked at britax evolva, graco naturlis elite, joie and casualplay (new isofix?)

The isofix one caught our attention but there are no reviews at all. I preferred the britax, my partner the graco and the joie appeals as it's a reduced age range

Can anyone who has gone through this offer some advice. The way we see it we could

2. Buy a second stage 1 car seat and eventually have to potentially buy 2 more within a short period of each other
    3. Buy the casualplay seat and hope it lives up to the salesperson reviews, as isofix is obviously much safer

I kept mine rear facing until 3 but take a look at the kiddy seats . we have a guardian fix pro and it is brilliant .

• Advertisement

I was told that casual play are Spanish and are made by the factory that make silvercross.
    I think and seat belt and isofix are both as safe if they are installed correctly. Would you believe we didn't have our baby in his isofix carseat correctly for the first two weeks of his life? We just copied what the midwife did when we were going home. My OH dislikes seatbelts and prefers isofix.
    Do forward isofix only go to 18kg too? Or do they have a higher weight limit?

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I kept mine rear facing until 3 but take a look at the kiddy seats . we have a guardian fix pro and it is brilliant .

Thanks Moonbeam, we've already have the 2 year old forward facing so not sure how I'd feel about keeping the baby rear facing. Will have a look at the guardian pro now

I was told that casual play are Spanish and are made by the factory that make silvercross.
    I think and seat belt and isofix are both as safe if they are installed correctly. Would you believe we didn't have our baby in his isofix carseat correctly for the first two weeks of his life? We just copied what the midwife did when we were going home. My OH dislikes seatbelts and prefers isofix.
    Do forward isofix only go to 18kg too? Or do they have a higher weight limit?

The casualplay one we looked at goes to 36kg and is isofix

The casualplay one we looked at goes to 36kg and is isofix

That's great it should last you ages. Did you try it in your car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

This one? http://www.mothercare.ie/casualplay-multi-fix-car-seat-black.html
    Bought one of those last month.
    Now it's a good seat but in comparing it to our maxi-cosi pearl (which only last till approx 4year) there are a few things maxi cosi does better.
    The manual is poor, for example it says the isofix release is under the fabric, great, where exactly under the fabric so I don't have to pull it all off (plenty of images but not of that part).
    The maxi cosi has springs in the harness belts that hold them open which makes it easy to put child in seat without having to pull the belts out from under the child after, as you have to do with the casualplay. Also when you release the buckle the harness lock releases, with the casualplay you have to hold a button down. I have the seat in really tight (with the isofix points) and I think this restricts the movement of the harness (the parts of it that are at the back of the seat) as it is really difficult to tighten properly. Again no problem like this with the maxi cosi as the belts are not a exposed at the back. Lastly the tether strap can only just be shortened enough to make it fit our car (5series) if your anchor point is far then it is no problem but ours is just behind the headrest (no tether on maxi cosi).
    I case your wondering why we kept it, it is a great and safe seat and most of the issues are with the harness. Above a certain age/weight you can't use this (must be removed) and the car seatbelt will be used, these little niggles won't be an issue then.

flyguy wrote: »
    This one? http://www.mothercare.ie/casualplay-multi-fix-car-seat-black.html
    Bought one of those last month.
    Now it's a good seat but in comparing it to our maxi-cosi pearl (which only last till approx 4year) there are a few things maxi cosi does better.
    The manual is poor, for example it says the isofix release is under the fabric, great, where exactly under the fabric so I don't have to pull it all off (plenty of images but not of that part).
    The maxi cosi has springs in the harness belts that hold them open which makes it easy to put child in seat without having to pull the belts out from under the child after, as you have to do with the casualplay. Also when you release the buckle the harness lock releases, with the casualplay you have to hold a button down. I have the seat in really tight (with the isofix points) and I think this restricts the movement of the harness (the parts of it that are at the back of the seat) as it is really difficult to tighten properly. Again no problem like this with the maxi cosi as the belts are not a exposed at the back. Lastly the tether strap can only just be shortened enough to make it fit our car (5series) if your anchor point is far then it is no problem but ours is just behind the headrest (no tether on maxi cosi).
    I case your wondering why we kept it, it is a great and safe seat and most of the issues are with the harness. Above a certain age/weight you can't use this (must be removed) and the car seatbelt will be used, these little niggles won't be an issue then.

Flyguy, yep that's the one, thanks for the feedback. Seems that it's an ok option but not exactly the wonder seat we heard about in store. Think I'm going to keep looking, will pop out to Tony kealys next week to have another look, at least we have some time on our hands to look

Well wonder seat it don't know...
    It's just that maxi cosi did a few things better -like the harness mechanism- and if you're used to those things you miss them. Must say I'm not an expert but I think most other seats won't have the springs that hold open the harness etc, so it's not really a reason not to go for the casualplay.
    The main let down is that the harness is hard to tighten, but -as I said- that maybe due to me putting the seat in too tight.
    Most shops would let you try so I guess that's the best option...

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Looking at getting a new car seat for my 9 month old........
    There are so many options!!

I was thinking can i get one seat now that will do for Stage1,2 and 3 and id like it to be isofix

Seen someone earlier mention kiddyfix guardian pro? Any other options?

Well the one mentioned above; casualplay multifix.
    Btw I was gave it somewhat bad review on the harness and the manual, but after using it a few weeks now it's actually quite a good seat. The harness seems to tighten easier (as long as you pull the strap forward not upward) and on 2nd look in the manual I noticed the explanation of the isofix points was there all along (not very clear, but there nonetheless).
    The things we miss are the harnass that's held open and the fact it doesn't recline, but I don't know if there are any 1-2-3 isofix seats that do...

• Advertisement

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Looking at getting a new car seat for my 9 month old........
    There are so many options!!

I was thinking can i get one seat now that will do for Stage1,2 and 3 and id like it to be isofix

Seen someone earlier mention kiddyfix guardian pro? Any other options?

I would still want to be rearward facing at 9months so would go for something like a triofix recline, it's rear facing till 18kg and isofix then it turns around from 15kg to 25kg http://incarsafetycentre.co.uk/product/Triofix-with-recline-black/ and then can be used up from 25-36kg

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Delboy5

I would still want to be rearward facing at 9months so would go for something like a triofix recline, it's rear facing till 18kg and isofix then it turns around from 15kg to 25kg http://incarsafetycentre.co.uk/product/Triofix-with-recline-black/ and then can be used up from 25-36kg

This looks like it ticks all de boxes....Thanks!

Delboy5 wrote: »
    This looks like it ticks all de boxes....Thanks!

It is cheaper on this site €450 inc delivery. http://shop.carseat.se/car-seats/triofix-recline.html#addedtocart both site owners seriously know their stuff with car seats and I wouldn't hesitate in buying from either. The triofix even fits in small cars. I was actually going to get it myself. Also they do say rearward facing is much safer if god forbid there was a crash. I didn't have a clue about car seats, it was actually a girl in kealys (who wouldn't specialise in extended rearfacing) said it to me, I do think though we are getting much more choice down here now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

We use one of these and we are very happy with it.
    Our little lady is over three and fits fine, although she is slim but tall.
    If your rear seat has much of a slope on it, or the isofix mounts are low, the recline of the seat can be eaten into.

-Coley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

I am looking for two carseats for my nine-month-old. He is 9kg and in the 90th percentile for height, so has almost grown out of his Maxi-Cosi.

We don't have a car, and so the carseats will be very rarely used - literally only a handful of times each year. We live in Dublin, and my family live in Sligo. So, anytime I go to visit them, I get public transport, and it's just too much to manage baby + buggy + luggage + a separate carseat on my own. So I need a carseat for occasional use in Dublin, and one for occasional use in Sligo.

Since they'll be used so rarely, and since I need to get two of them, I obviously DO NOT want to spend a fortune on them! On the other hand, I'm really safety-conscious when it comes to travelling in cars, and I don't want to compromise on his safety. I'd consider second-hand for most baby things, but definitely not for this.

I definitely want ones that will last as long as possible, so we won't need to replace again until he's big enough for a booster seat (or whatever it is that comes next.)

Also it would be very important to get ones that can be put in and out of the cars with as little hassle as possible, obviously, as they won't be left in any one car all of the time.

Any suggestions? I will probably buy one first to try it out before buying another identical one if it's suitable. However if there are good offers on, I'd buy both together.

I am looking for two carseats for my nine-month-old. He is 9kg and in the 90th percentile for height, so has almost grown out of his Maxi-Cosi.

We don't have a car, and so the carseats will be very rarely used - literally only a handful of times each year. We live in Dublin, and my family live in Sligo. So, anytime I go to visit them, I get public transport, and it's just too much to manage baby + buggy + luggage + a separate carseat on my own. So I need a carseat for occasional use in Dublin, and one for occasional use in Sligo.

Since they'll be used so rarely, and since I need to get two of them, I obviously DO NOT want to spend a fortune on them! On the other hand, I'm really safety-conscious when it comes to travelling in cars, and I don't want to compromise on his safety. I'd consider second-hand for most baby things, but definitely not for this.

I definitely want ones that will last as long as possible, so we won't need to replace again until he's big enough for a booster seat (or whatever it is that comes next.)

Also it would be very important to get ones that can be put in and out of the cars with as little hassle as possible, obviously, as they won't be left in any one car all of the time.

Any suggestions? I will probably buy one first to try it out before buying another identical one if it's suitable. However if there are good offers on, I'd buy both together.

If you want an ERF seat then the britax two way elite is the best IMHO for tall children. If you want a forward facing look at the britax evolva 123, a few of my friends have them and are only around €100-€120 when On sale. They go up to 36kg or britax eclipse but that only goes to 18kg but is cheaper and has a better recline :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

If you want a forward facing look at the britax evolva 123, a few of my friends have them and are only around €100-€120 when On sale. They go up to 36kg or britax eclipse but that only goes to 18kg but is cheaper and has a better recline :)

We've the evolva and its very handy. Have recently converted it to use with the seatbelt and it still seems very comfy for my little one. Saying that we have it in our second car that we don't use on long journeys etc. it pretty much doesn't recline at all and I think for smaller babies it may be a bit straight.
    Also worth going somewhere to try some seats. We got the Evolva and wanted to get the same for my mum but even though online it said it was compatible with her car (Nissan micra), when we went to a reputable shop they said seatbelt wasn't long enough to use safely with it.

sillysocks wrote: »
    We've the evolva and its very handy. Have recently converted it to use with the seatbelt and it still seems very comfy for my little one. Saying that we have it in our second car that we don't use on long journeys etc. it pretty much doesn't recline at all and I think for smaller babies it may be a bit straight.
    Also worth going somewhere to try some seats. We got the Evolva and wanted to get the same for my mum but even though online it said it was compatible with her car (Nissan micra), when we went to a reputable shop they said seatbelt wasn't long enough to use safely with it.

I think it's a bit too straight too but it was the only car seat to fit in my friend's car (she has a 3 door convertible!!)

We have an Evolva but do not use it.
    I am not a big fan,it is fine for a 3 year old but not for a baby.

The Graco Nautilus elite would be similar but a bit better for a small child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

Hey guys
    My wife has a Clio and I rang one garage to check if this particular year (04) had isofix and they said no and that was the extent of the conversation. So i rang another Renault dealer and he confirmed it didnt and there was no way of adding it now but what I am reading from this thread is that it is possible?

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks

It is not possible to retro fit it on all cars but you can on alot of them. So only way to know is to talk to the dealers or manufacturers.

sallymomo wrote: »
    Hey guys
    My wife has a Clio and I rang one garage to check if this particular year (04) had isofix and they said no and that was the extent of the conversation. So i rang another Renault dealer and he confirmed it didnt and there was no way of adding it now but what I am reading from this thread is that it is possible?

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks

I'd say an 04 Clio would have isofix (goolged it and not sure but seems it does). You should be able to see a metal bar in the boot at the bottom of the rear seats, or feel between the back and seat part of the back seat for the metal anchor points. Some car have isofix labels but not all. Seems it can be retrofitted but I'd doubt it be worth it...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bluemmaoife

Hi I'm looking for some help my daughter is 7 months old and am looking at getting her a bigger car seat but I have no idea what to get or how to even go about picking one! My partner wants one that is rear facing and can be turned for forward facing when she is big enough! We have the baby elegence isofix base will we be able to use this or is it not required now! Sorry for all the questions

Hi I'm looking for some help my daughter is 7 months old and am looking at getting her a bigger car seat but I have no idea what to get or how to even go about picking one! My partner wants one that is rear facing and can be turned for forward facing when she is big enough! We have the baby elegence isofix base will we be able to use this or is it not required now! Sorry for all the questions

Mothercare and Bellababy have 3 options for you, the britax dualfix, the maxi cosi 2way pearl or the casual play bicare. All are isofix and all can go forward and rearward facing. 2way pearl and dualfix are both over €400.. The casual playone is the cheapest (around €230). I am not a fan of it myself, the leg room is very limited when it is rearward facing especially if you have a tall child! The maxi cosi one is fab! But the shell if the seat is quite short so not a good option if you have a tall child!
    Tony kealy has a besafe seat but it was too big for my car :(
    There are some non isofix options available too. I personally would go for a non isofix if your child is tall as they go up to 25kg as opposed to 18kg.
    If you are open to online shopping there are a few more isofix options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Besafe izi comfort isofix britax. Does anybody have this car seat, would you recommend it?

We went looking last weekend for car seats for the next stage (he's 9 months and almost out of his first car seat) and this one seemed to tick all the boxes so far, but would like an opinion of someone who has used this one.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I currently have a babystart group 0-1 car seat . RF up to 10 kg. I had this seat from my daughter who was RF until about 12 months then we moved to group 123. (Now 2.5yrs)
    My son (8months ) is 9.3 kg so will not get much longer RF.
    If been looking around and have only realised how much safter RF is.
    so i have contacted incarsafety centre. But just want opinions from other parents. Would you leave 2.5yr old ff or get ERF for her too.

Millem i see you have the britax 2 way elite. I was looking at this and the max way but wondering what happens if you move the seat. We both drive the same car and need to adjust the drivers seat. If i did decide to put toddler RF one of them would need to be behind drivers seat.

Suucee wrote: »
    I currently have a babystart group 0-1 car seat . RF up to 10 kg. I had this seat from my daughter who was RF until about 12 months then we moved to group 123. (Now 2.5yrs)
    My son (8months ) is 9.3 kg so will not get much longer RF.
    If been looking around and have only realised how much safter RF is.
    so i have contacted incarsafety centre. But just want opinions from other parents. Would you leave 2.5yr old ff or get ERF for her too.

Millem i see you have the britax 2 way elite. I was looking at this and the max way but wondering what happens if you move the seat. We both drive the same car and need to adjust the drivers seat. If i did decide to put toddler RF one of them would need to be behind drivers seat.

The britax TWE is fab :) basically you would leave the tether straps in place but each time you adjust driver's seat you would have to semi reinstall the seat as it has to lean on the seat. It is very easy to install in fairness but I wouldn't like to have to do it myself so therefore would not recommend it for behind a driver'a seat that needs to be regularly adjusted. It would be a great seat though for behind the passenger side :)
    Do you have isofix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Is there a place I can go to and get impartial non sales advice on the car seats I should be using for my 6 and 4 year old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

The britax TWE is fab :) basically you would leave the tether straps in place but each time you adjust driver's seat you would have to semi reinstall the seat as it has to lean on the seat. It is very easy to install in fairness but I wouldn't like to have to do it myself so therefore would not recommend it for behind a driver'a seat that needs to be regularly adjusted. It would be a great seat though for behind the passenger side :)
    Do you have isofix?

No isofix . Mmm so rules that out.

Is there a place I can go to and get impartial non sales advice on the car seats I should be using for my 6 and 4 year old?

no,
    The RSA website is good though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement