Advertisement
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Car Seat Mega Thread! Please post all your car seat questions here!

145791046

Comments



  • Does anybody have any experience/ views on the baby weavers car seats on the kiddicare website? I think they are there own brand.




  • Me again :-)
    Does anybody have the mother care advance xp?? Just wondering do you think it reclines enough for 13month old to sleep comfortably? Going to look at one at the weekend.




  • Hi all, does anyone know what car seat group 1 fits toyota yaris (2004) ? Have to get one for my mam's car none of the ones we've looked at fit and the only one that does is €290 I had hoped I could get one a little bit cheaper than that! Thanks :)




  • I have a 2007 Yaris, maybe a bit diff but not a huge amount I imagine. We got the Britax Evolva 123 seat. Think it was around 100 eur and it converts for the next stages too so won't need to buy again in a few years.




  • sillysocks wrote: »
    I have a 2007 Yaris, maybe a bit diff but not a huge amount I imagine. We got the Britax Evolva 123 seat. Think it was around 100 eur and it converts for the next stages too so won't need to buy again in a few years.

    I'll check that one out thanks a million sillysocks :) hopefully it fits!


  • Advertisement


  • Anyone know where I can get the chest straps that are on the American versions of car seats? The graco one I have had a strap at the breast bone in America but not here. My son pulls the straps away from his neck no matter how tight I make them.




  • I've seen a thing called Houdini Straps that I think us what you're looking for. Haven't bought them so not sure where you'd get them but google would prob find somewhere!




  • wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get the chest straps that are on the American versions of car seats? The graco one I have had a strap at the breast bone in America but not here. My son pulls the straps away from his neck no matter how tight I make them.


    My friend had the same issue . But when she went looking for one she was told they are illegal as difficult to open in the event of an accident.
    She didn't get one after that and just resorted to giving out to her LO or pulling in to fix her. I found a link (below) that says they are legal.
    They have a FB page also (Houdini stop Ireland). A hasn't bothered with trying to escape so I haven't looked in to it much.

    http://you-and-yours.com/houdini-stop-legality/




  • Someone on another board showed me this after E did it the first couple of times and I nearly lost my life! It is done with velcro and no extra tie across the chest which means nothing extra to unclip in an emergency or no hard plastic digging into chest. I think it's worth a look, AFAIK Halfords sold them before but only seeing Boots listed as ROI sellers on the page atm.

    http://5pointplus.com/




  • Looking for the next (forward facing) carseat after the infant rear facing seat. I have no idea what we're getting yet but just wondering if anyone has spotted any good sales?


  • Advertisement


  • yellow hen wrote: »
    Looking for the next (forward facing) carseat after the infant rear facing seat. I have no idea what we're getting yet but just wondering if anyone has spotted any good sales?

    Me too.... He won't need it for a while but if I spot a bargain I want to grab it. I have a goo on me for the maxi cosi axiss, (rotates 90 degrees to get baby in & out) but I don't know if it's an expensive gimmick or genuinely useful.




  • nikpmup wrote: »
    Me too.... He won't need it for a while but if I spot a bargain I want to grab it. I have a goo on me for the maxi cosi axiss, (rotates 90 degrees to get baby in & out) but I don't know if it's an expensive gimmick or genuinely useful.

    I've heard from friends that it's a bit gimmicky but ill reserve judgement until I try it for myself. Might go to tony kealys for some advice. We have the be safe baby seat but I don't like it so definitely don't want be safe next time.




  • We're still looking for the next stage car seat and I've noticed that a lot of them don't have isofix. We have isofix in the car but I'm contemplating not getting an isofix car seat now. Any thoughts on this?




  • We have one each of an isofix and non isofix seat. Don't really find any difference between them mainly because we very rarely move the seats compared with the first stage seat base which we took in and out every so often. Safety wise I think once the non isofix is fitted properly and checked every so often then they're equally as safe (not 100% on that but read it somewhere).

    I originally wanted the Axiss but after a trip to Tony Kealys I changed my mind. Our car was listed as compatible on the maxi cosi website but when the girl in Kealys tried to fit it the seat belt wasn't long enough and it just didn't sit right. She said she wouldn't use it with her child so that made up my mind. I got a different seat there instead which was cheaper so it wasn't that she was just trying to make more money off me. She said that the majority of cars they try to fit the Axiss into don't fit it properly enough for them to be happy with it in them.




  • I find the isofix seats brilliant,we only have 2 isofix points in the car and I wish we had 5!
    We have the Kiddy seats for the older girls and they are brilliant.




  • I have the maxi cosi Rubi in my car, very comfy seat, great recline, little man loves it, had considered the axiss aswell but definetly not as comfy looking as the Rubi




  • I had my first child a month ago and we have the maxi cosi cabrio fix base and maxi cosi car seat

    On the base unit I have, I hook it in to the iso fix hooks in my car and I also put the seatbelt around the base unit too. Is there any need to do the seatbelt thing also ? Or is this unit I have a dual unit i.e. for cars that have isofix = use the isofix and for cars that dont have the isofix, use the seatbelt,




  • I went to tony keakys today to asl their advice on the nect stafe carseat. in relation to isofix, we only have one car so the carseat is never moved. Once the belt is correctly tightened, apparently a non-isofix seat is just as safe as those tightened with isofix.

    I didn't want a Be Safe seat as I didn't like our current be safe one. In the end I went for a maxi cosi rubi. Got it for €170 too so delighted with that.




  • yellow hen wrote: »
    I went to tony keakys today to asl their advice on the nect stafe carseat. in relation to isofix, we only have one car so the carseat is never moved. Once the belt is correctly tightened, apparently a non-isofix seat is just as safe as those tightened with isofix.

    I didn't want a Be Safe seat as I didn't like our current be safe one. In the end I went for a maxi cosi rubi. Got it for €170 too so delighted with that.

    Glad you like it too, yes I paid I think €190 at the time so was pleased with price, great seat!!!!!!!!




  • I had my first child a month ago and we have the maxi cosi cabrio fix base and maxi cosi car seat

    On the base unit I have, I hook it in to the iso fix hooks in my car and I also put the seatbelt around the base unit too. Is there any need to do the seatbelt thing also ? Or is this unit I have a dual unit i.e. for cars that have isofix = use the isofix and for cars that dont have the isofix, use the seatbelt,

    I think it's one or the other - I don't have isofix in my car so I use the seatbelt, occasionally we put it in my OH's car which does have isofix so we use that. There'd be no harm in using both together though I'd say!


  • Advertisement


  • nikpmup wrote: »
    I think it's one or the other - I don't have isofix in my car so I use the seatbelt, occasionally we put it in my OH's car which does have isofix so we use that. There'd be no harm in using both together though I'd say!

    Thanks, I put the baby seat behind the passenger seat and the baby is facing the back of the car , is this correct ?




  • Thanks, I put the baby seat behind the passenger seat and the baby is facing the back of the car , is this correct ?

    Yeah I also think its one or the other. We had an isofix newborn seat and didn't use the seatbelt. You can get great little mirrors so that you can see the baby as they are rear facing(not sure if you have one) but I found it great!:)




  • Thanks, I put the baby seat behind the passenger seat and the baby is facing the back of the car , is this correct ?

    That's right, the little mirrors are great - around a tenner in smyths




  • nikpmup wrote: »
    That's right, the little mirrors are great - around a tenner in smyths


    So if you have 2 kids in the car, you obviously have to put one baby seat right behind you and not behind the passenger seat.

    Suppose im asking, what is the advantage of putting the baby seat behind the passenger as opposed to putting it behind the driver seat ?




  • So if you have 2 kids in the car, you obviously have to put one baby seat right behind you and not behind the passenger seat.

    Suppose im asking, what is the advantage of putting the baby seat behind the passenger as opposed to putting it behind the driver seat ?

    I think it's so the driver can see the baby? No clue really - I have mine behind the passenger seat as my oh has quite long legs and when he's driving my car he has to pull the seat back quite a bit so it squashes up against the carseat. When I'm driving he just has to put up with no legroom :P If you've two kids obviously then you have to have one behind each seat.




  • nikpmup wrote: »
    I think it's so the driver can see the baby? No clue really - I have mine behind the passenger seat as my oh has quite long legs and when he's driving my car he has to pull the seat back quite a bit so it squashes up against the carseat. When I'm driving he just has to put up with no legroom :P If you've two kids obviously then you have to have one behind each seat.

    Thanks for reply.

    So at the moment, our baby is facing the back of the car.

    I understand that after a year or so that the baby will face forward. Does a new BASE *and* SEAT have to be bought for this ?

    P.S. I currently have the maxi cosi easi fix BASE and the seat is the cabriofix.




  • Thanks for reply.

    So at the moment, our baby is facing the back of the car.

    I understand that after a year or so that the baby will face forward. Does a new BASE *and* SEAT have to be bought for this ?

    P.S. I currently have the maxi cosi easi fix BASE and the seat is the cabriofix.

    You can buy a base and a seat, but most of the forward facing seats are designed to be fixed in place without a base, either with isofix points or seatbelts. The bigger seats aren't taken out of the car as much, you lift the baby out of the seat instead.




  • Thanks, I put the baby seat behind the passenger seat and the baby is facing the back of the car , is this correct ?

    you can put it in any seat in the car but if it is in the front the airbag needs to be disabled.
    I always keep the youngest behind me though.




  • nikpmup wrote: »
    I think it's one or the other - I don't have isofix in my car so I use the seatbelt, occasionally we put it in my OH's car which does have isofix so we use that. There'd be no harm in using both together though I'd say!

    It's not recommended to use both belt and isofix at the same time, just one or the other.


  • Advertisement


  • Blueskye wrote: »
    It's not recommended to use both belt and isofix at the same time, just one or the other.


    Thanks for that.


Advertisement