Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Be a Woman

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

It's a comedic book about her growing up into a woman, the weird things the rites of passage and the things women don't talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fox McCloud

I dont see whats wrong with opening up discussion on why women go through a lot of discomfort for looking good.
    Its not necessarily saying that if you do conform you're stupid, its making us think about things that we might otherwise just do because everyone else does. By considering WHY we want to wax or wear high heels and where our main style messages come from.. we then get to make informed decisions about what we do to our bodies and most importantly where we spend our hard earned cash.

From what I get from the first video, she seems to be offering her alternative to the norm and explaining why she does things her way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I got the book for my oldest daughter last Christmas because its the kind of book she would like and her opinion was that the book was brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I read a review of it - she told her daughters at a young age about "the patriarchy" and they dressed up as suffragettes for a recent fancy-dress party... :confused:
    That to me seems too extreme a message to pass to young kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

they dressed up as suffragettes for a recent fancy-dress party

Dressing up as shin kickers and window breakers, why not :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Oh my god that video is annoying. If she's all for choice, what's with the sly digs at women who choose to wax? "Oh, at least I don't look like a child". Hate that attitude.
    I have a question for Caitlin Moran. "Why do you have hair that makes you look like a skunk?"

you give out about her having a dig at some women, and then take a dig at her! I won't go into my opinions on waxing, but you can't deny that a full wax makes a woman look childlike again in that area. Now there might be a million other reasons why a person chooses to wax, but the end result is that their lady bits look more child like after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

dearg lady wrote: »
    you give out about her having a dig at some women, and then take a dig at her! I won't go into my opinions on waxing, but you can't deny that a full wax makes a woman look childlike again in that area. Now there might be a million other reasons why a person chooses to wax, but the end result is that their lady bits look more child like after.

i don't know what kind of children you're looking at tbh, but no. I would disagree. It's not an area that should "look" a specfic way anyway. Why does everybody get so bent out of shape about this? Its an intimate area, there isn't any sort of inspection carried out. Its personal preference. I hate body hair, I'm not exactly hairy, but I wax my arms, so as I dont have those horrible little blonde hairs. I wax my legs. Does that mean I have childlike arms and legs?

i don't know what kind of children you're looking at tbh, but no. I would disagree.

just the standard model! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

just the standard model! :)

Well personally, if being groomed means I look "child-like" I'd take that over looking unkempt.

• Advertisement

Well personally, if being groomed means I look "child-like" I'd take that over looking unkempt.

ah, so many sly digs! People still groom themselves but don't go the whole hog as it were.

anyway, sorry, getting off topic! I haven't read the book. The videos wouldn't really endear me to her... she's a bit too hyper, and kind of irritating for me.

ah, so many sly digs! People still groom themselves but don't go the whole hog as it were.

But why does it matter? If somebody is comfortable with having a full bikini, thats their own business. Equally, if someone is more comfortable waxing absolutely everything, that should be up to them. Its body hair. I don't understand why people who remove body hair from other areas get so judgemental about hair removal on one specfic area.

But why does it matter? If somebody is comfortable with having a full bikini, thats their own business. Equally, if someone is more comfortable waxing absolutely everything, that should be up to them. Its body hair. I don't understand why people who remove body hair from other areas get so judgemental about hair removal on one specfic area.

it doesn't matter. I'm not judging anyone. I haven't even said what my personal preferences are! I'm just saying that what was said about it appearing more childlike is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Not everybody likes the same stuff and now they are not supposed to voice their opinion because some sensitive soul feels threatened about their body hair or wearing high heels? It's just an opinion and I don't know why should everybody conform to the same beauty standards or at least shouldn't criticise them.

Well in that case I am merely stating that removing hair from any area can make the area appear childlike.

Well in that case I am merely stating that removing hair from any area can make the area appear childlike.

and that's entirely true too. so you've changed your mind on what Caitlin says and now agree with her?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Back on topic, if ye want to start another thread about hair removal go ahead.

Back on topic, if ye want to start another thread about hair removal go ahead.

Sorry for going OT, I just can't help but question people contradicting themselves! I'll go back in me box, I haven't even read the book :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I quite liked her. I'm not sure if I'd agree with everything she says but I find her comments interesting.

I also found Drama Queen's dig at her a bit ironic. Asking why she looks like a skunk - was getting that personal really necessary?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

i don't know what kind of children you're looking at tbh, but no. I would disagree. It's not an area that should "look" a specfic way anyway. Why does everybody get so bent out of shape about this? Its an intimate area, there isn't any sort of inspection carried out. Its personal preference. I hate body hair, I'm not exactly hairy, but I wax my arms, so as I dont have those horrible little blonde hairs. I wax my legs. Does that mean I have childlike arms and legs?
    And dont forget pits..

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭flowerchild

Kimia wrote: »
    I quite liked her. I'm not sure if I'd agree with everything she says but I find her comments interesting.

I also found Drama Queen's dig at her a bit ironic. Asking why she looks like a skunk - was getting that personal really necessary?

I think the dig was over the top.

I found it hard to watch the videos because the synching of audio was so bad but her line is cool.

I think that talking about how to be a woman, the choices we make and don't make, and why, is interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Wouldn't it be great if women were less worried about being the kind of woman [the media / men / other women / feminists / insert whatever group you like] want them to be and were more concerned with just discovering who they are and being the kind of woman they themselves want to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭wicklori

I'm not finished the book-finding it slow reading....
    BUT... I do finds parts of it funny-in the "I though it was only me that ever thought that" kinda way? When she's talking about waxing it is very funny! She's not really saying wax/don't wax she's asking why women would feel the desire to suffer such pain-hence the heels, plucking, waxing references. She's asking the question "where do we get our ideas about what it is to look good".... It's obviously personal choice if a woman wants to wax/wear heels/pluck eyebrows, but that wasn't what she was talking about.
    Her point was more around the idea of doing these things to look good-not because it's more comfortable, hygenic, taller, improves vision.....

Advertisement