Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapest / quickest / easiest XBMC setup

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Had already edited my post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Is that Ouya one android?

If so, i take it will have full access to the google play store... that would be the icing on the cake for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Access wrote: »

If so, i take it will have full access to the google play store... that would be the icing on the cake for me!

Yes that's what is marketed as, an Android game console

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Access wrote: »

Most android devices you can just access to browser to get full access rather than the play store "app"

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Legits

Hi I have an acer revo and read a few quick guides to installing xbmc i have a couple of questions you maybe able to answer?

1. Is it necessary to have a usb stick to install xbmc?

2. Should I uninstall Windows 7 to speed it up? is there another recommended os.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Legits wrote: »
    Hi I have an acer revo and read a few quick guides to installing xbmc i have a couple of questions you maybe able to answer?

2. Should I uninstall Windows 7 to speed it up? is there another recommended os.

Thanks

In Windows you can just install and run XBMC like any other program. I would try it out like that before considering anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 the bear necessities

I think this might well be the cheapest /quickest reliable xbmc option.

No sure about easiest to setup because its a hdmi stick with android on it, and android xbmc is still in beta so it may have a couple quirks / tweaks required.

I'm in the UK so this is where i will be buying from: http://www.futeko.com/products/AC046.php

its a "mygica 120" and its UK£50 without the remote and UK£65 with the remote.

I already bought and setup a "mygica atv1200" which is the same thing but in a set top box as opposed to the 120 which is in a "stick".

The reason I think its wrth considering is because the android version f xbmc is very nearly brilliant. as i say it still has a few small isues to iron out.

The other reason i think its worth considering is because the atv1200 i played with is really good and the wifi is great etc, so if this thing has good wifi then it will be an amazing gadget for xbmc for UK£50 approx US$85 i imagine.

anyway thought i'd put that out there for your consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Got this one myself http://www.futeko.com/products/MP00041.php and installed linux xbmc on it which works great on light skins, not so much on Aeon or any of the heavier skins but works fantastically for me especially for that price!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

tony1980 wrote: »
    Got this one myself http://www.futeko.com/products/MP00041.php and installed linux xbmc on it which works great on light skins, not so much on Aeon or any of the heavier skins but works fantastically for me especially for that price!

ye its the best box to go for because it run,s linux and the price is great

how stable is it do you get many crash,s or random reboots??

Not too many running Confluence or Quartz, Aeon is a no go!

I have noticed when I try to do a reboot, it crashes. If I just go into suspend, that works fine. Does this happen you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 the bear necessities

massy086 wrote: »
    ye its the best box to go for because it run,s linux and the price is great

how stable is it do you get many crashes or random reboots??

Yeah if you only want xbmc then consider a box that runs linux because xbmc on linux is stable and fast.

But I wanted something that can run android apps like spotify and skype and facebook etc. I suppose these hings can be run on linux too but the android apps just appear a bit more big-screen friendly.

Plus the android boxes might appear to those that are not comfortable using linux because linux is not as easy to use as android.

anyway both of these boxes are good cheap solutions for xbmc.

Not too many running Confluence or Quartz, Aeon is a no go!

I have noticed when I try to do a reboot, it crashes. If I just go into suspend, that works fine. Does this happen you?

i dont have one yet going to try get one next week .i use atv2,s and a htpc running openelec .but have friends all wanting atv,s so hopping these might do the job cheaper.how do you find the wifi on them??

It was working ok but I have been having some issues since plugging in the homeplugs. I will need to test a little further, could be a temporary issue with the internet in the house, will let you know!

It was working ok but I have been having some issues since plugging in the homeplugs. I will need to test a little further, could be a temporary issue with the internet in the house, will let you know!

cheer,s for that hope you get yours sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Legits wrote: »

Thanks
    I had an Acer Revo running XBMC on Windows 7 and through Openelec.

Openelec is the fastest and easiest to use. It's plug and play and kids can use it. It lacks some features of the Windows version though e.g. HD Audio on AMD machines. And some people prefer having Windows apps running in the background.

I found it was a frustrating to deal with Windows on a large TV. There's login issues and when XBMC crashes (which it does) then you're dumped out into the desktop. Similarly, the boot time is slower but I hear Windows 8 provides an improved HTPC experience with XBMC.

You can always test Openelec on a memory stick and see which you prefer.

massy086 wrote: »
    cheer,s for that hope you get yours sorted

This is working very well for me now but I have it hooked up directly to my router as there are some issues with the wifi on this. I have it set up in the spare sitting room, so its only really used for movies for the small fella or when I am watching some of my own shows.

Advertisement