Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapest / quickest / easiest XBMC setup

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

silvine wrote: »
    Yes I meant a dish!

So it's not going to be possible to watch free satellite channels like the BBC in XBMC, unless I invest in a backend?

You can get it on freeview with the USB DVB-T2 tuner
    OR
    You can get it on Satellite with the USB DVB-S2 tuner (wont give you Irish channels without a sky card)
    OR
    you can use an enigma2 based linux Satellite Receiver and use that as the backend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

loadz of pictures showing nice XBMC setup

Nice, but tell my why Ubuntu? Why not trying something embedded like Openelec.
    I'm running it myself and I have to say if you are using the pc only for HTPC purpose there is no better option.

docentore wrote: »
    Nice, but tell my why Ubuntu? Why not trying something embedded like Openelec.
    I'm running it myself and I have to say if you are using the pc only for HTPC purpose there is no better option.
    I am using my laptop to test this so not all of the picons for the channels loaded from the source , probably as they are all over the place in different directories

My setup is still a WIP but nearly all components are in place. Just need to build my bracket. Have some good ideas for that too already.

I do like the idea of having a desktop there and why would you be opposed to it, do you think openelec runs smoother? Uses less power? Uses less resources (obviously yes for this one)
    Im waiting on the donor for the HTPC build so I am open to your advice

My setup is still a WIP but nearly all components are in place. Just need to build my bracket. Have some good ideas for that too already.

I do like the idea of having a desktop there and why would you be opposed to it, do you think openelec runs smoother? Uses less power? Uses less resources (obviously yes for this one)
    Im waiting on the donor for the HTPC build so I am open to your advice

The beauty of openelec is the fact that this distro is made for XBMC only, no other crap. Only drivers that are being used in 3 or 4 different sub-distros (amd, intel, appletv etc), very light on the system, easy to update.

It boots quickly, browsing through library is super fast, nothing hangs etc,etc.
    I suppose XBMCbuntu is similar, but still it is based on ubuntu, which is huge distro.

If you like an idea of desktop as well you could build dual boot with windows, ubuntu or any other os.

Try openelec, download it and make bootable usb stick for testing - you will se yourself. The download is only ~100mb - this says it all.

I used lot of XBMC setups, from xbox, appletv with ios and xbmc, apple tv with xbmcbuntu, apple tv with openelec, pc winth windows and xbmc, xbmcbuntu and openelec on its own - it is a winner for me.

docentore wrote: »

The beauty of openelec is the fact that this distro is made for XBMC only, no other crap. Only drivers that are being used in 3 or 4 different sub-distros (amd, intel, appletv etc), very light on the system, easy to update.

It boots quickly, browsing through library is super fast, nothing hangs etc,etc.
    I suppose XBMCbuntu is similar, but still it is based on ubuntu, which is huge distro.

If you like an idea of desktop as well you could build dual boot with windows, ubuntu or any other os.

Try openelec, download it and make bootable usb stick for testing - you will se yourself. The download is only ~100mb - this says it all.

I used lot of XBMC setups, from xbox, appletv with ios and xbmc, apple tv with xbmcbuntu, apple tv with openelec, pc winth windows and xbmc, xbmcbuntu and openelec on its own - it is a winner for me.

Going to create a setup installation on the donor laptop now after the weekend and see if I can configure it the way I have on the test machine to pull live feeds from the Dreambox

• Advertisement

Are there any hardware limitations for openelec for the updated image?? It's an older laptop but has (dual core) processor I will have more detail on the spec once I pick it up.

Are there any hardware limitations for openelec for the updated image?? It's an older laptop but has (dual core) processor I will have more detail on the spec once I pick it up.

If it's dual core you should be fine, actually openelec should work better with older hardware. My dual core Athlon with on board radeon 3000 series plays 1080p smooth.
    Have a look here to see which version should suit your hardware, they differ in drivers included.

And beacause it's lunix you can create booting usb for testing, no need to install if you just want to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

It's just a pity that Netflix won't work in Linux/OE it's inevitable that Netflix will drop Silverlight in favour of some alternative in the not too distant future but it remains to be seen if it will run in Linux then.

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    It's just a pity that Netflix won't work in Linux/OE it's inevitable that Netflix will drop Silverlight in favour of some alternative in the not too distant future but it remains to be seen if it will run in Linux then.

They found a workaround on chrome I think recently

It looks like the quad core ODROID-U2 could well be a contender as a cheap and cheerful hardware solution powerful enough to run XBMC with a good experience.

It looks like hardware acceleration in Linux is on the cards.

It's priced at US$89 + $9 for a power supply + $30 shipping.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

It looks like the quad core ODROID-U2 could well be a contender as a cheap and cheerful hardware solution powerful enough to run XBMC with a good experience.

It looks like hardware acceleration in Linux is on the cards.

It's priced at US$89 + $9 for a power supply + $30 shipping.

Be well worth it if it the hardware decoding was there for XBMC. Good price point to under €100 shipped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I would stay away from Android for XBMC as its still a "work in progress" and you wont be able to get the full benefit from how good it really can be

Coming back to this comment, XBMC on Android is now in beta and working very well. It is now a viable option

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Coming back to this comment, XBMC on Android is now in beta and working very well. It is now a viable option

No fault to XBMC its more to do with the hardware that these devices use. No hardware decoding for 1080p streams. Unless you installed it on a laptop with but then that costs money and you could just use openelec.

Futeko finally have the dual core ATV1200 on their website @ £85 with stock expected in early January. Will be interesting to see what the feedback is from early adopters, although it may be a problem that there isn't an Android build of XBMC optimised for the dual core M6 chip yet, Pivos have only just launched the single core M3 chip in the XIOS and I don't know if there is a linux build available for the ATV1200.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 15,188 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I've been using a laptop with a busted screen tucked in behind the TV for the last 6 months, but I've run into some problems and need a new HTPC.

Thinking of getting either the zBox or an Acer Revo, they are both around the same price. Any advice which one would be best for XBMC? I have the correct RAM and a spare HDD here, so I could save some money on the zBox and get the barebones one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    I've been using a laptop with a busted screen tucked in behind the TV for the last 6 months, but I've run into some problems and need a new HTPC.

Thinking of getting either the zBox or an Acer Revo, they are both around the same price. Any advice which one would be best for XBMC? I have the correct RAM and a spare HDD here, so I could save some money on the zBox and get the barebones one.

how much is the zbox barebones ???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

areyawell wrote: »

great post lol

massy086 wrote: »
    great post lol
    The original version was a bit better...
    "Sapphire HD6450 512M DDR3 PCI-E HDMI / DVI-D / VGA
    31,51 €

4GB G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9
    16,68 €

Intel Celeron Dual-Core G550 Box, LGA1155
    37,57 €

HKC Case 4673GD, mATX, 420Watt
    34,44 €

HGST Travelstar Z5K500 500GB 7mm
    44,05 €

Total cost for PC: 166.25 - If your going to do something may as well do it right!:)"

But the last line is a touch prophetic as I'm still trying to figure out the motherboard...

invest4deepvalue.com

I could sit my TV on top of that big f*cker!

Need something small like the zBox or Acer Revo. I'm not opposed to building my own either but I've never put together a HTPC before.
    massy086 wrote: »
    how much is the zbox barebones ???

There's a bunch or different versions, but on Dabs they seem to range from €159 - €279 and the cheapest with a HDD and ram is €325.

• Advertisement

If you want small and powerful, there is the new Intel NUC as well....

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Is there an RTE player app for the PI? I assume via XBMC? Its the one thing missing from the Saorview boxes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

The original version was a bit better...

But the last line is a touch prophetic as I'm still trying to figure out the motherboard...

ha, yea just decided to delete the post as i messed it up. Round 200 so for a decent setup

Went with the zBox AD10 from microdirect.co.uk and got it (via Parcel Motel) today, hopefully I'll get a chance to set it up this weekend :).

Went with the zBox AD10 from microdirect.co.uk and got it (via Parcel Motel) today, hopefully I'll get a chance to set it up this weekend :).
    They aren't showing the AD10 any longer only the AD04 with the E450 chip @ £192, how much was the AD10?

invest4deepvalue.com

They aren't showing the AD10 any longer only the AD04 with the E450 chip @ £192, how much was the AD10?

I paid £193.18 with shipping, so around €235.

Dabs have it for €387, theirs does have a 320GB drive and 2GB ram, the MicroDirect one is barebones. I picked up 4Gb of RAM from eBay for €18 euro and had a hard drive already, so I think I got a good deal.

Really like the remote, looks much better than the silver one I was using with my old laptop for XBMC. Still not sure if I am going to put Linux/Windows on it and then make XBMC auto-boot, or just use OpenELEC. I guess I can try each of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

that ad10 looks like a nice bit of kit... size wise it could be hidden behind the tv. will you let us know how it responds - noise levels from it/heat etc.

did the remote come with it... it didnt show it pictured?

Access wrote: »
    that ad10 looks like a nice bit of kit... size wise it could be hidden behind the tv. will you let us know how it responds - noise levels from it/heat etc.

did the remote come with it... it didnt show it pictured?

Will do.

Remote came with it, yes. It came with the thing to mount it on a monitor too, but I'm just going to leave mine sitting behind the TV and use the IR extender it came with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I have an AD10. The fan can be a little noisy but you can turn it down in the BIOS. The machine benefits from an SSD which is simple enough to install. Heat wise I've never had problems with it but it does get warm along the sides. I run Openelec on it.

The only thing I don't like is the remote which is flat and feels cheap.

• Advertisement

silvine wrote: »
    I have an AD10. The fan can be a little noisy but you can turn it down in the BIOS. The machine benefits from an SSD which is simple enough to install. Heat wise I've never had problems with it but it does get warm along the sides. I run Openelec on it.

The only thing I don't like is the remote which is flat and feels cheap.

Just got to set mine up today and I'm happy enough with it so far. I've put OPENelec on it also.

One thing that is annoying me and I can't find a way to fix it - The info button doesn't work on the remote with XBMC! Have you found a way to fix it? I need to change the content of one of my folders but I can't reach that page.

Advertisement