Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapest / quickest / easiest XBMC setup

Options

Comments

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Doubt ram from the advent will work, it'll most likely be ddr2
    DDR3. Wouldn't have suggested it without checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭tippgod

i'm just about to buy this so has anyone any last minute thoughts about it for me. it looks to be a good deal

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/free-shipping-item/638/mc001-xbmc-eu.html

thanks

tippgod wrote: »
    i'm just about to buy this so has anyone any last minute thoughts about it for me. it looks to be a good deal

thanks
    There's a big thread on bargain alerts with pretty much all the comments and opinions you could want. Not a whole lot more to say unless you have specific questions.

There's a big thread on bargain alerts with pretty much all the comments and opinions you could want. Not a whole lot more to say unless you have specific questions.

only two questions really.

does not having a tv turner matter? (its not with the above unit and dont really know what it is.

Would it be easy to install windows 7 as a secondary operating system if i wanted too?

thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

thanks

Not a great price for it TBH, unless it's the one that comes with a drive and Windows. The one on offer was just over €100

• Advertisement

Not a great price for it TBH, unless it's the one that comes with a drive and Windows. The one on offer was just over €100

it has open elec with XBMC ready to go and it comes with a 1TB drive. thought it was good cause i would have needed to get a drive too if i went for the barebones edition. Also a remote for it too that not normally included

it has open elec with XBMC ready to go and it comes with a 1TB drive. thought it was good cause i would have needed to get a drive too if i went for the barebones edition. Also a remote for it too that not normally included

If you need storage, yes, I prefer no moving parts myself so have network storage tucked away. OpenElec will boot from a usb key.

Assuming you want all the included stuff then the price is about right.

The barebones was €115 shipped.

The €199 model has free shipping included. So there is a €85 difference and it comes with a 1TB drive, 2GB ram and a remote. That is roughly what you would pay for those things anyway, so like I say, it depends whether you want/need them.

The TV tuner is primarily for watching live TV or recording stuff (PVR). If you don't want to do those then it doesnt matter. TV tuners are cheap anyway.

Dual booting with Windows is complicated enough if you want both OpenElec and Windows on the same drive. Once you can follow instructions it shouldn't be a problem though. Personally I would find Windows awful slow on an Atom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

. Personally I would find Windows awful slow on an Atom.

If you cut out all the crap its not.

I am running W7 on an Intel Celeron M with 768mb ram. It all depends what you want to use it for. Its super fast with that ****ty spec

If you cut out all the crap its not.

In my opinion it is. And im speaking from experience, I have run Win7 on a dual-core Atom in the past and I currently have a bunch of Atom/Ion mobos.

If you think it is acceptably fast with an OS like Win7 then that's your opinion but I don't agree.

• Advertisement

In my opinion it is. And im speaking from experience, I have run Win7 on a dual-core Atom in the past and I currently have a bunch of Atom/Ion mobos.

If you think it is acceptably fast with an OS like Win7 then that's your opinion but I don't agree.

I have it running on a single core processer from the 90's, If you use a lite version you will see an immense improvement.

Windows is not the problem, it doesn't need much requirements, it's that running XBMC on top of Windows with a fancy skin that uses a few plugins lags badly. You're better off running XBMC on a light distro.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

thanks

Anyone know where I can get one of these? Out of stock on the Arctic site, and can't find it anywhere else.

Anyone know where I can get one of these? Out of stock on the Arctic site, and can't find it anywhere else.

Its the same with extras and pre installed openelec

Thanks, I'm probably going to go for it as I need a storage device too. Can't find it on Amazon or anywhere else at the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

It looks good, I'm not sure if it supports HD audio though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Was also hoping to pick up the one with openelec installed and the 1TB Hardrive. Anyone hear when they might be back in stock?

tony1980 wrote: »
    Was also hoping to pick up the one with openelec installed and the 1TB Hardrive. Anyone hear when they might be back in stock?

Same as myself. According to the recent Bargain Request thread on the barebones version, there seems to be a few of each model available daily. Follow that thread and you'll get notified if someone posts about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

I was also looking at the MC001-DVD
    Entertainment Center with 500GB HDD with Windows 7 pre-installed which is available but it only has a dropdown to the U.S. plug with ATSC TV Tuner.

Im new to all of this but wouldn't I need a DVB-T? Otherwise I would go ahead and order it! http://www.arctic.ac/de/p/living/entertainment-center/382/mc001-dvd.html?c=2300

i had ordered an Arctic open elec unit two weeks ago but just got an email to say i was going to be refunded. :(:(:(

does anyone know any other option or device that would be similar?

• Advertisement

i had ordered an Arctic open elec unit two weeks ago but just got an email to say i was going to be refunded. :(:(:(

does anyone know any other option or device that would be similar?

Its just a nettop, there's lots of similar devices. Or you could build something. You would need to decide what part of the feature set you need.

You'll have trouble matching the value though.

The Ouya looks like it's going to be the business

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

The Ouya looks like it's going to be the business

It looks sweet alright... wonder what the price point will be and when it goes on general release?

Access wrote: »
    It looks sweet alright... wonder what the price point will be and when it goes on general release?

I think I read they are aiming for $130

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

What is the fan doing? ....... circulating hot (and getting hotter) air?

There appears to be no airflow though the box ..... or did I miss it?

There's vents top and bottom so the hot air inside the case should find its way out.

Its tablet/phone hardware so it's not like it's going to be putting out much heat anyhow.

The Boxee box has a fan and no vents, it's just to keep the air moving

The Boxee box has a fan and no vents, it's just to keep the air moving
    The whole back of the boxee box is vented.

The whole back of the boxee box is vented.

The first one by Dlink has no vents

Edit, my mistake it does

boxee-box.jpg

• Advertisement

The first one by Dlink has no vents
    This one?
    boxeebox2ndgenerationwebtv.jpg

Advertisement