Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please explain this picture to me

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,745 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

If you wish to continue mocking a service organised by and for victims of child abuse go ahead...

where exactly in the thread has this happened?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Jellicoe wrote: »
    + 1, and his hit and run succeeded nicely

This was no hit and run. The OP participated actively in this thread since it started.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

koth wrote: »
    where exactly in the thread has this happened?
    The image in the OP is a scene from a service organised by abuse victims.
    Err, I haven't got in on the church-bashing on this thread yet - not that it matters. But don't let that stop you from bashing me over the head with abuse victims.
    Apologies so. It's not a case of bashing anyone over the head tbh I just think it is classless to find/look for comedy in a scene that is taken from an actual service for people who were sexually abused as children. I personally would be ashamed to do it myself but if someone else can justify it to themselves good luck to them.

that still doesn't explain which posts were mocking the service. The jokes weren't posted because the picture was from a service for abuse victims. They were posted purely based on the image, which could have happened in a service not for abuse victims.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Apologies so. It's not a case of bashing anyone over the head tbh I just think it is classless to find/look for comedy in a scene that is taken from an actual service for people who were sexually abused as children. I personally would be ashamed to do it myself but if someone else can justify it to themselves good luck to them.

How very self-righteous of you.

• Advertisement

that still doesn't explain which posts were mocking the service. The jokes weren't posted because the picture was from a service for abuse victims. They were posted purely based on the image, which could have happened in a service not for abuse victims.
    Which was fine, completely fine, until it was pointed out that it is in fact a service for victims of sexual abuse. A fact that doesn't change regardless of how it is dressed up.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    How very self-righteous of you.
    I just think it is classless to find/look for comedy in a scene that is taken from an actual service for people who were sexually abused as children.
    You disagree?

What are you on about, BB?

Every joke has been about the priests lying down, not about the victims, nor the service, nor about what happened to the victims. Stop making a mountain out of a molehill, and keep your smug, faux self-righteous indignation to yourself. You're the one using the victims and the service in an attempt to gain some kind of moral high ground; everybody here has been making jokes about a pair of priests planking and nothing more. Your fake outrage is nothing short of cringe worthy.

Which was fine, completely fine, until it was pointed out that it is in fact a service for victims of sexual abuse. A fact that doesn't change regardless of how it is dressed up.

so you're essentially complaining that people didn't delete their posts after you informed them about the source of the image? Even though none of the jokes actually mock the service.

You disagree?

Given that there is nothing in the image posted by the OP to indicate where or when it was taken, yes I disagree and think that you are simply galloping around on a high horse of faked indignation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

..... I personally would be ashamed to do it myself but if someone else can justify it to themselves good luck to them.

...yet despite this supposed attitude, you're still here, posting in this thread.

Yes, and it has now been established that the priests were lying down in a service that was organised for and by victims of child abuse. Too seek out comedy from this service is wrong IMO. That is all I am saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Does it matter what service the photo was taken at? Your repeating that it's for abuse victims changes nothing, there's no link between the OP and abuse yet you've imagined one into existence, mental gymnastics at their finest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Is there a "victims of child abuse" forum you could post on to look for support and then get shot down by the people you're trying to claim to speak for?

so you're essentially complaining that people didn't delete their posts after you informed them about the source of the image? Even though none of the jokes actually mock the service.
    1. It's a photograph of the service.
    2. I obviously have no issue with people making fun of two priests laying on the ground when they didn't know the context.

Yes, and it has now been established that the priests were lying down in a service that was organised for and by victims of child abuse. Too seek out comedy from this service is wrong IMO. That is all I am saying.

Well done you. You're the best fucking defender a strawman never needed.

You going to keep crapping on about it still?

Sarky wrote: »
    Is there a "victims of child abuse" forum you could post on to look for support and then get shot down by the people you're trying to claim to speak for?
    My mother was a victim of child abuse if you must know.

Personally I think for the RCC to have a service for the victims of their clergy and their self-protecting hierarchy while still trying to dodge admitting responsibility and paying damages is wrong. Do you disagree? If not, why don't you trot over to the Christianity forum and tell them that instead of trying to equate mocking the clergy of the RCC with mocking their victims.

My mother was a victim of child abuse if you must know.

I don't recall demanding to know that. It still doesn't give you the right to get entirely the wrong end of the stick.

Nodin wrote: »
    Well done you. You're the best fucking defender a strawman never needed.

You going to keep crapping on about it still?
    Hopefully not. I have nothing else to add other than my already stated opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

And you're wrong, that's all I'm saying...

1. It's a photograph of the service.
    2. I obviously have no issue with people making fun of two priests laying on the ground when they didn't know the context.

excellent. so you have no issue with the content of this thread then seeing as most, if not all of the jokes, happened prior to revelation of the source of the picture.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Personally I think for the RCC to have a service for the victims of their clergy and their self-protecting hierarchy while still trying to dodge admitting responsibility and paying damages is wrong. Do you disagree? If not, why don't you trot over to the Christianity forum and tell them that instead of trying to equate mocking the clergy of the RCC with mocking their victims.
    To be clear: Mock the clergy all you want. I am not "trying to equate mocking the clergy of the RCC with mocking their victims". I am simply saying that IMO it is extremely bad taste to seek out comedy from a service that is for sexual abuse victims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

I wonder did the OP know where the pic was from, if so why did he use that one ?

To be clear: Mock the clergy all you want. I am not "trying to equate mocking the clergy of the RCC with mocking their victims". I am simply saying that IMO it is extremely bad taste to seek out comedy from a service that is for sexual abuse victims.

What happened to "I have nothing else to add other than my already stated opinion. Today 20:55"

excellent. so you have no issue with the content of this thread then seeing as most, if not all of the jokes, happened prior to revelation of the source of the picture.
    Yes, that is true. I pointed out the context to the OP and asked him given the revelation if he/she would continue to joke about it and then the usual pack hunt kicks off here.

IT-Guy wrote: »
    Then clarify:
    Yes, and it has now been established that the priests were lying down in a service that was organised for and by victims of child abuse. Too seek out comedy from this service is wrong IMO.

Nodin wrote: »
    What happened to "I have nothing else to add other than my already stated opinion. Today 20:55"
    I think you are confusing me with Oscar Wilde.
    Sarky wrote: »
    I don't recall demanding to know that. It still doesn't give you the right to get entirely the wrong end of the stick.
    As much as you get on my bristols it wasn't fair to drop that on you like that and apologise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

IT-Guy wrote: »

Brown Bomber if I were you I'd ignore them,some are descent and others have as much empathy as a shoal of hungry piranhas who have just encountered an animal thrashing about in the Amazon.

Your entitled to your opinion so are they but I wouldn't bother with them....

I'll probably be red flagged for sticking up for ya.....

But it's only a forum,some react on an emotional level,others respond with a more laid back style and put principles before personalities....

I'll get it next lol

• Advertisement

As much as you get on my bristols it wasn't fair to drop that on you like that and apologise.

And for getting the wrong end of the stick?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement