Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please explain this picture to me

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,738 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Its athiests who are church bashers that offend me. Im an atheist by the way. The op is obviously church bashing.

Really? lets examine the OP then.
    What is the point of priests doing this.

1224323653661_1.jpg?ts=1347123754

What exactly is negative/abusive/aggressive in this post that you think it's church bashing?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Its athiests who are church bashers that offend me. Im an atheist by the way. The op is obviously church bashing.

Being atheist is simply not beleiving in god yes? So why was this thread started in an atheist forum?

Well, when we're not being militant and eating babies, some us like to take a humourous look at some of the quirkier practices of the religion that claims us. At least I do, anyway.

I can assure you, it's quite normal. In communist(/atheist:pac:) Russia, people would make cartoons about the Communist Party. Closer to home we make jokes about politicians, the banks, celebrities, footballers and other's who have an influence on public life. This is similar. If you open your eyes a bit, you'll probably find that lots of people make jokes about lots of things for lots of reasons.

Religion shouldn't be given a free pass - that would be exclusionist. You wouldn't want to be an exclusionist, now, would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

Being atheist is simply not beleiving in god yes? So why was this thread started in an atheist forum?

Because he wanted rational intelligent ethical reasoned answers, not catholic superstition or supernaturalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Yeah I'm not a member of the KKK. But people that make fun of them in anyway disgust me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

"I'll never forget the day that mass was held up for a whole half an hour"
    "Twas on the day that brother Albert and Father Pete discovered the crack in the floor just above the altar boys changing rooms"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

mikom wrote: »
    "I'll never forget the day that mass was held up for a whole half an hour"
    "Twas on the day that brother Albert and Father Pete discovered the crack in the floor just above the altar boys changing rooms"

tumblr_m77lid0oZi1r9bx82.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Actually if you want an answer to a religious question, quite often the best place to go IS an atheist forum. American studies recently have come out suggesting that quite often atheists know the facts and so on about any given religion better than adherents to that particular religion.

Take myself for example. I as what people would call "atheist" (its not a term I self identify with but I recognise other people refer to me using it) have often given a bible to theists who do not actually have one. It is always surprising to me that people who claim to believe its the most important literature on the planet either directly from god or at least influenced in its writing, do not even bother to own one.

Further surprising to me is how shocked many of them are when they see it. They have often heard the same cherry picked verses over and over and over that they have become convinced they have heard the whole thing and know it backwards. When they see it is many times thicker than they expected I have seen jaws drop. And they claim to BELIEVE This stuff yet have never SEEN a bible??

So no, I see no reason for an OP not to open a thread in an atheist forum asking a questions about religion. I was able to identify the posture instantly on sight because I have actually taken the time to study catholic literature, teachings, ceremonies and beliefs at no small length. I wonder if you take to the streets and interview catholics how many of THEM would be able to do that merely looking at one picture?? Go try it and if you even get verifiable results of over 33% who can identify it then I will admit the OP opened this thread in the wrong place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Actually if you want an answer to a religious question, quite often the best place to go IS an atheist forum. American studies recently have come out suggesting that quite often atheists know the facts and so on about any given religion better than adherents to that particular religion.

Take myself for example. I as what people would call "atheist" (its not a term I self identify with but I recognise other people refer to me using it) have often given a bible to theists who do not actually have one. It is always surprising to me that people who claim to believe its the most important literature on the planet either directly from god or at least influenced in its writing, do not even bother to own one.

Further surprising to me is how shocked many of them are when they see it. They have often heard the same cherry picked verses over and over and over that they have become convinced they have heard the whole thing and know it backwards. When they see it is many times thicker than they expected I have seen jaws drop. And they claim to BELIEVE This stuff yet have never SEEN a bible??

So no, I see no reason for an OP not to open a thread in an atheist forum asking a questions about religion. I was able to identify the posture instantly on sight because I have actually taken the time to study catholic literature, teachings, ceremonies and beliefs at no small length. I wonder if you take to the streets and interview catholics how many of THEM would be able to do that merely looking at one picture?? Go try it and if you even get verifiable results of over 33% who can identify it then I will admit the OP opened this thread in the wrong place.

Good post. But admit it, the OP was church bashing, and there is quite a bit of church bashing in this thread, and this forum in general.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Good post but admit it i'm still right just because

well yeah if you put it that way

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

I can't stop laughing at the image of nozz handing out bibles

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

parrai wrote: »
    I can't stop laughing at the image of nozz handing out bibles

I bet he's one of those guys on the street handing out literature and talking about "spirit creatures" and things :eek::D

Good post. But admit it, the OP was church bashing, and there is quite a bit of church bashing in this thread, and this forum in general.

seeing as you think there is quite a bit of church bashing on the thread, you should have no problem with showing some examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

koth wrote: »
    seeing as you think there is quite a bit of church bashing on the thread, you should have no problem with showing some examples.

Well, considering he cites the OP as 'church bashing' his definition of 'church bashing' appears to be any mention of the church.

There are clear examples right throughout this thread that a trained monkey could point out. If I were to point them out to you you would no doubt have some smug way of denying it. So no, I wont bite on that one thank you very much.

Why don't you man / woman up and admit there is church bashing going on, and while you at it, how about admitting that church bashing has about as much to do with being atheist as feminism does.

There are clear examples right throughout this thread that a trained monkey could point out. If I were to point them out to you you would no doubt have some smug way of denying it. So no, I wont bite on that one thank you very much.

Why don't you man / woman up and admit there is church bashing going on, and while you at it, how about admitting that church bashing has about as much to do with being atheist as feminism does.

And yet you're the only one complaining about these as yet unidentified "church bashing" posts. I can only presume that on reflection you can't find any.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

98, 99, 100...READY OR NOT HERE WE COME!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

So what if there is church bashing going on here?? If you don't like it then click that little x in the top right corner. We can mock and bash the church all we want because we find it hilarious that two grown men will lie on the ground "offering" themselves to an imaginary figure. Whatever you decide to do though don't click on this link...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055075741

.....thats where we do some of our best church bashing.

and completely unrelated to the rest of my post, maybe the two priests fell off their high horses and landed face first on the ground???

And yet you're the only one complaining about these as yet unidentified "church bashing" posts. I can only presume that on reflection you can't find any.

Probably because I'm the only one here with the balls to challenge it

Probably because I'm the only one here with the balls to challenge it

so give an example to educate the masses then.

Neilos wrote: »
    So what if there is church bashing going on here??

Its a forum for people who don't believe in god. Its not called "Atheism & Agnosticism & Church Bashing" is it?

Perhaps I missed the memo, so cold you remind me what an atheist is? Perhaps I'm not one after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Its a forum for people who don't believe in god. Its not called "Atheism & Agnosticism & Church Bashing" is it?

Perhaps I missed the memo, so cold you remind me what an atheist is? Perhaps I'm not one after all.

Perhaps you could remind me which memo states atheists cannot mock the church? I've had a quick look through all the memos from the "international organisation on how atheists should behave on boards.ie" but i don't seem to have that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Kidchameleon, if you insist on having a mini-strop every time you visit perhaps it is worth considering that maybe this forum is not for you?

I recently told a joke about a robot and a petrol pump. Would that be robot bashing? I also recently said that Quinn's pub was quite sweaty tonight. Would that be Quinn's pub bashing? I told my girlfriend that I thought the second combination of clothes that she had chosen to wear was better than the first. Is that "first choice of clothes" bashing?

What I'm trying to say here is that you seem to have defined "bashing" to be just about anything said about the church that isn't positive. You seem to have this obsession with atheists criticising the church. Chips on shoulders, axes to grind, bees in bonnets, hard-ons, persecution and superiority complexes and lots of other cliches all come to mind whenever you pop in here to whine about atheists.

In fact, almost all of your contributions here are what I'd call atheist-bashing. I'm going to use as loose a definition of the word "bashing" as you do yourself so I'm sure you won't mind. Given that you've no problem with atheists who keep their mouths shut, I'll correct myself and name your behavior "atheists who don't keep their mouths shut"-bashing.

Now, basher of atheists who don't keep their mouths shut, for the benefit of us all, could you please tell us what you think church-bashing is?

Also, could you tell us why you think the church should be exempt from a bit of slagging?

Neilos wrote: »
    Perhaps you could remind me which memo states atheists cannot mock the church? I've had a quick look through all the memos from the "international organisation on how atheists should behave on boards.ie" but i don't seem to have that one.

It's OK. I've update the rules, after clearing them with Satan. They'll be on the way to you shortly. He said noon on tuesday at the latest.

I think you're starting to understand. Grab yourself a cookie.

The only thing atheists have in common is a lack of belief in deities. Some of us are idiots. Some of us are smart. Some of us are cúnts. Some of us are sound. Some of us are ugly creepy and weird while others are so sexy and articulate that Jesus himself couldn't resist their wiles.

You seem to want to view atheists as some homogeneous group and generalise as though we were all the same. Well, we're not and I gather from your post that you're starting to realise that.

For example, the only thing I know that I have in common with galvasean as far as I can tell is a lack of a belief in deities and perhaps palaeontology. I don't really care for transformers - more of a tmnt guy myself. I also hear that galvasean is a nice guy while people tell me that I'm a bit of a prig.

So, really, myself and galvasean have feck-all in common. The only thing that we definitely have in common is that we don't believe in deities. That's it and by definition it's true for every atheist.

Another thing that we have in common is that we don't see the need to keep popping in to make snide and bitchy generalisations about the users of this forum. It's a cúntish thing to do on any forum to be perfectly frank.

I really don't see why you should spend so much time in here moaning and whining about the place and its users. If you think atheist shouldn't discuss the church or express negative or humourous opinions about it, then why would you bother coming to a forum whos users' opinions you dislike so much? Why would you bother? Do you dislike us so much that you feel compelled to tell us in every post?

Why not be a bit more constructive and tell us what we should be discussing.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

I think you're starting to understand. Grab yourself a cookie.

The only thing atheists have in common is a lack of belief in deities. Some of us are idiots. Some of us are smart. Some of us are cúnts. Some of us are sound. Some of us are ugly creepy and weird while others are so sexy and articulate that Jesus himself couldn't resist their wiles.

You seem to want to view atheists as some homogeneous group and generalise as though we were all the same. Well, we're not and I gather from your post that you're starting to realise that.

For example, the only thing I know that I have in common with galvasean as far as I can tell is a lack of a belief in deities and perhaps palaeontology. I don't really care for transformers - more of a tmnt guy myself. I also hear that galvasean is a nice guy while people tell me that I'm a bit of a prig.

So, really, myself and galvasean have feck-all in common. The only thing that we definitely have in common is that we don't believe in deities. That's it and by definition it's true for every atheist.

Another thing that we have in common is that we don't see the need to keep popping in to make snide and bitchy generalisations about the users of this forum. It's a cúntish thing to do on any forum to be perfectly frank.

I really don't see why you should spend so much time in here moaning and whining about the place and its users. If you think atheist shouldn't discuss the church or express negative or humourous opinions about it, then why would you bother coming to a forum whos users' opinions you dislike so much? Why would you bother? Do you dislike us so much that you feel compelled to tell us in every post?

Why not be a bit more constructive and tell us what we should be discussing.

A very honest, well thought out post.Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Galvasean wrote: »
    Kidchameleon, if you insist on having a mini-strop every time you visit perhaps it is worth considering that maybe this is forum is not for you?

Don't forget; he said that he was an Atheist.

Maybe he's an Atheist- (as opposed to the other type)?

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Bizzare that you somehow found the picture without an accompanying article and therefore are ignorant regarding the image. It's almost unbelievable. Excellent thread btw :rolleyes:. Nevertheless, this is the reason:
    http://ncronline.org/news/global/irish-archbishop-repents-clergy-sex-abuse-service

Carry on...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

@Brown

One of us missed the point of this thread. You think the OP was looking for a real explanation (how cool is it that one was provided anywho for those of us that didnt get the chance to read your link) whereas I figured it was a setup for a kinda funny caption thread. I really hope I was right :D Then it is an excellent thread delivering some fantastic witty responses!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

And now ive got the Fugees song 'ready or not' stuck in my head...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement