Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we really leaving it too late?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

I wish I'd been in a position to start earlier. I've just turned 36 (Aug) had my first in January - It took me nearly 3 years to conceive naturally successfully. I'd like to have another baby (would've maybe liked more had I been younger and wealthier:)) but who knows now, on one hand I don't want to get pregnant straight away but if I go try it may take a long time on the other-so yeah, wish I could have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I think it depends on the person. People wait for a variety of reasons. Studies have shown that the best time (health wise) for a woman to carry a child is her early 20's.

I think a lot of time people wait because there is a stigma towards young parents in this country. I find it really ironic that I was scolded by older women when I got pregnant at 19, when they themselves had their first child at even younger at that.

I think a lot of today's young adults are coddled, its totally normal for someone in their early 20's to be living at home here (not that I think there's anything wrong with that) and I feel myself I was babied a lot, so when I did get pregnant, it was a massive shock for my family because they still saw me as a child.

I think if attitudes changed there would be more young couples having children these days.

I think its great that some people want to travel the world and develop a career before settling down to have a family. Since I lost my daughter last year my OH and I decided that we'll TTC next Summer, when we're finished our degrees. I'll still be 21 by then, my OH will be 22.

Waiting isn't a bad thing either. My parents had my (now 5 year old) sister when my mum was 42. I do see how much my sister wares my parents out, they don't have the energy they had when I was little to play with her, and I know my mum does worry about the fact that when my sister is my age she'll be 63.

I really think its depends on the person, and their aspirations and goals. When it comes down to it age is just a number :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I had my first child at 19, second at 32. Thankfully I conceived both easily. I'm 35 now and sometimes think I'd like a third and must admit I do panic a little at the thought that if I don't get cracking in the next year it might never happen.

I have friends my age who are childless, who want children but don't seem to be in any hurry. I think they believe that when they decide they want a baby that it will just happen. Lots of older women do conceive quickly but there are other things to think about, risks to the baby etc.

Looking back I am glad I had my first when I did, I do wish I had been able to have my second child sooner but had a few losses along the way. At 35 I would like my family to be complete and out of the baby stage, I feel I was more able for it when I was younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

I had my baby very late - at 40 and the thing I find hardest is the change to my lifestyle. I'm still off on maternity leave and miss the freedom and excitement of my old life.

I think if I had kids younger I would not miss my freedom so much as I have had a long time doing exactly what I wanted to do.

I am very lucky it took me one month to conceive and that baby is healthy. Other friends have taken longer / done ivf to conceive but all have gotten there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I'm 28 and am under pressure from my biological clock. I got on career ladder & found my hubby to be and that when I was about 20. So didn't do the young, free & single carry on. I didn't travel much either, except holidays. No year out around Asia, or J1 or anything. So feel now, that if I do have a baby, I'll never be able to do that. I think either have a kid aged 19 - 23 and claim your life back in your 40s or get your living done in your 20s then settle down and have a kid in your 30s. I do want to have a baby sooner rather than later for health/ fertility reasons, so concieving in my mid or late 30s isn't really an option for me. At a bit of a loss what to do...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

This bit from the article surprised me:

"One in five wanted to have a child so much they said they would consider purposefully becoming a single mother, either through donor sperm or another route"

Didn't think that statistic would be so high!

I know quite a few single mothers, all of whom are doing a fantastic job and are bringing their babies/children up in a very happy stable environment. But in all cases it was never a conscious choice to become a single parent. Brave decision to make.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I had my much wanted son at 36 and my much wanted daughter at 37. I feel that it would have been better to have them younger, especially as we would both have loved another one but in my case I was too ill in my early 30's so I did the right thing. I would love to have another one but finances would mean that I would have to wait until one of them is out of creche and that would leave it too late for me I woulld feel (am 38 now). Having said that we had a delightful "mistake" a few months ago but I suffered yet another miscarriage:(

Very sorry to hear about your miscarriage. :(

If you could have managed to find a way to make it work financially in the case of a "mistake", would you not just go ahead and try for another one, so? If you really both want another? Even if it meant one of you taking a couple of years out of work until they're old enough for school, or something?

Obviously if that's too personal and you'd rather not answer, totally understandable! :)

This bit from the article surprised me:

"One in five wanted to have a child so much they said they would consider purposefully becoming a single mother, either through donor sperm or another route"

Yeah but I think saying and doing would be 2 separate things.

Very sorry to hear about your miscarriage. :(

If you could have managed to find a way to make it work financially in the case of a "mistake", would you not just go ahead and try for another one, so? If you really both want another? Even if it meant one of you taking a couple of years out of work until they're old enough for school, or something?

Obviously if that's too personal and you'd rather not answer, totally understandable! :)
    Sorry, busy chasing my two around! Realistically it would be very hard for us financially to cope if we had another one at this time as crcehe fees would mean that one of us would have to stay at home for a few years and getting back into the workforce could be very hard - it is the same dilema a lot of couples face I imagine. Having said that we are not using birth control...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

These kind of pieces always annoy me. The implication often seem to be that feckless women are living the life of Reilly, with nothing better to do in their 20s but go on spa breaks and buy shoes, all the while not worrying about their fertility.

I always knew I wanted to get married and have a family, and do it in that order. Throughout my early and mid 20s I had a LOT of dates and 'things' with guys my age and older, and any mention of getting married and having a family would have made them run a mile. I was going out with one guy in his 30s for about six months, when I tentatively brought up what he wanted from the future, only to never hear from him again.

I am not alone in finding this. Most of my single friends are in their late 20s/early 30s and men simply don't want to have the kid discussion within a reasonable timeframe. I also know more than one woman who's been left holding the baby by a guy in his 30s who just 'wasn't ready' for being a father.

I know there's going to be the inevitable bleating about mens rights and access to children (what do those guys do, set up an alert system whenever women begin to dicuss female issues?!). But my experience before I met my husband was that men either didn't want to talk about kids or had decided there was no rush. Which leaves women in a bind. We have a window within which we can have children. It takes a few months to get pregnant, and you can only get pregnant a certain number of days. Combine that with ANY issue (in my case very, very long cycles) and you're pretty much reducing your chances every time you try to conceive.

I really, really wish the tone of pieces like this, which places most if not all of the fertility burden on women, focused on the other elephant in the room. The men who act like teenagers well into their 30s and beyond, who don't want or haven't thought about children. They are men women my age have to contend with and its pretty much a lottery as to whether the nice guy you're seeing will stick around if you get pregnant or is interested in the fertile window you've got.

You can't just magic up a willing man to procreate with. We are constantly told of falling birthrates and women 'leaving it too late'. Well it takes two to make a baby and if men aren't willing to step up, what are women to do? Then there's criticism and lack of support for single parents, so you can't win no matter what you do.

Lazygal you are so right... The main reasons my friends and I are so late having babies is that the guys we were with were in no rush. One even lied to my saying he wanted kids when he didn't so I would'nt leave him - that wasted 3 years of my life.

A lot of girls are being held to ransom by guys who are in no hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Yes, I think a lot of people do leave it too late, but often not by choice. We really do have such a limited timeframe in which to conceive. Most of us who go to university aren't finished until at least 22, then you want to get on the career ladder, find a partner, settle down with them...there really is very little time. And that's assuming you don't do the whole 'single' thing and date around for a few years, or go travelling.

I'm 27 and starting to worry about this, especially because I have several medical conditions that could make conceiving and pregnancy difficult for me. If I left it until my mid-thirties, like lots of women do, it could be too late to do anything, but at the same time, I'm not ready to have a baby now. I do have a partner of almost 4 years, but don't have a steady job, have hardly any savings, am light years off ever owning a house...I just can't imagine being able to afford a baby. We're barely scraping by as it is. I'm trying to get into a secure job at one of the European institutions, but that could take several years at best. I just feel that becoming an 'adult' is really difficult for this generation because we can't afford to do anything. My parents took having steady jobs for granted in their early twenties and were able to buy a house right after they got married - who can do that now?

So, yeah, this is something I think about a lot. Ideally, I'd travel a bit more, do a few more things and have a baby at around 30, but who knows.

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Yes, I think a lot of people do leave it too late, but often not by choice. We really do have such a limited timeframe in which to conceive. Most of us who go to university aren't finished until at least 22, then you want to get on the career ladder, find a partner, settle down with them...there really is very little time. And that's assuming you don't do the whole 'single' thing and date around for a few years, or go travelling.

I'm 27 and starting to worry about this, especially because I have several medical conditions that could make conceiving and pregnancy difficult for me. If I left it until my mid-thirties, like lots of women do, it could be too late to do anything, but at the same time, I'm not ready to have a baby now. I do have a partner of almost 4 years, but don't have a steady job, have hardly any savings, am light years off ever owning a house...I just can't imagine being able to afford a baby. We're barely scraping by as it is. I'm trying to get into a secure job at one of the European institutions, but that could take several years at best. I just feel that becoming an 'adult' is really difficult for this generation because we can't afford to do anything. My parents took having steady jobs for granted in their early twenties and were able to buy a house right after they got married - who can do that now?

So, yeah, this is something I think about a lot. Ideally, I'd travel a bit more, do a few more things and have a baby at around 30, but who knows.

Well, that's the thing like. We just don't know what sort of problems we'll have when/if we decide to start trying to get pregnant.

In an ideal world, I'd probably like to pop out 2-3 kids between the ages of 35-40. But sure, until you actually start trying, you've no idea whether there'll be problems with conceiving/pregnancy.

I'm not ready to have kids any time soon (I'm 26 now.) But it's still something I'd be aware of, that the timescale is limited, if I do choose to have kids in the future.

By the way, my mum had her youngest (unplanned!) when she was 44 and my dad was 51. My sister is now 11, my parents are 55 and 62. And you know, it's grand. My dad has health problems, but sure that can happen at any age. My mum is perfectly healthy, still very busy, working full time and very active. There's a bit of a negative viewpoint when it comes to having kids at an older age, but you know, my parents love it and adore her, she's a great kid, and she's certainly not suffering from having "older" parents (who are often mistaken for her grandparents! :pac:)

Having said that, I'd hope to have it all out of the way by the time I get to their age, though! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

As IzzyWizzy has mentioned I would agree a lot on that. I do think some women leave it too late depending how the career and relationship wise is going whether or not she is in a relationship or married or not.

Some women are lucky to have met their partner while very young and they are lucky to start a family whether they are married or not. Some aren't as lucky to meet their partner till later on either while in college, working, after travelling or until they get their career off the ground and be financially secure before children can come into it. I suppose there is no right or bad time to have kids, if you can afford to have at least one anyway.

I wouldn't be in favour of leaving it too late if you have a career and a partner though that you'd like a child with even if it just one, if you can just get by I know its a struggle but I think if you are ready to have a child go for it. If you married I wouldn't let it go too late depending on how old you are many who could have had children at a younger age struggle to do so when older some are just lucky to be able to do so as they get older. Sometimes it happens when you least expect it!? Some things happen for a reason I always say.

Personally I am neither ready, mature enough, life experienced enough or financially secure, or have a career off the ground or a partner or have a place of my own, still have to pass my driving test so not in a position to have a child. Though have the time but it wouldn't be the right time for me. If I were married maybe, often thought I be married with kids by now! How life's plan's changes! Sometimes I think me and girls my age are too young to have kids never mind those 10 years younger than us but I do think in their 20's to mid 30's is the best time to have kids.

Some women take time before they meet a partner they settle down with to have children with. Though if you have a career/partner/secure enough financially and some kind of a place then I don't see any reason not to have a child if you are of child bearing age? I always said if I get married I wouldn't delay having kids to be honest. I'm 27 myself and be concerned that if in the 30's then I'd start a family asap but all depends on my circumstances I suppose. It's tough work no doubt about it but the gift of life is probably the best thing you could do in life and being a mother is probably a gift in itself even though tough going for both a mother and child.

It's fine for lads to say no rush they can have children when ever possible but women don't have a choice in the matter or do they? Some guys want to stay single longer or not mature as quickly like before.

Yes very true Lazygal women only have a certain time frame in which to get pregnant and takes time for it to happen can happen easily or not so easily. Its like a 3 million chances of falling pregnant but it only takes the one!

If you and your partner are right for each other, then babies should happen naturally if that is what ye want. It shouldn't have to be put on hold if you biologically able to have a child, just go for it. A baby should never stop you from what else you can achieve, a baby is part of life's plan and miracle's. You can still travel with the child at a later stage no biggy!? Would you not like to share that part of your life with that child whether or not you went travelling before or after the baby?

Life can change and what we plan in life doesn't always go or go they way we want it to go but might go better for us with a better plan!?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Just reading about people not being ready financially, emotionally or career wise, I didn't feel ready when I got pregnant even though we were really trying. But we got through it. Lots of borrowed baby stuff, a few antenatal classes and a bit of optimism got us through. If you are waiting for all the stars to align or a magic time to happen, you'd wait forever. Being a parent is brilliant. But its just one thing among others that I do. My husband's really supportive, which is great, and I'm going back to to college and work. Financially, we've a large mortgage on a house in negative equity and my husband's job is contract to contract. But our parents started their families with a LOT less than we did and muddled through. Children are as expensive as you want them to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

There are a huge number of factors required to have a baby besides just 'deciding' to have one and these articles are ridiculous not to acknowledge that. They talk about starting a family as though akin to picking up a chicken from a shelf in Tesco :rolleyes:

gara wrote: »
    There are a huge number of factors required to have a baby besides just 'deciding' to have one and these articles are ridiculous not to acknowledge that. They talk about starting a family as though akin to picking up a chicken from a shelf in Tesco :rolleyes:

But the article is about women regretting not making the decision to have lids sooner...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

lazygal wrote: »
    Just reading about people not being ready financially, emotionally or career wise, I didn't feel ready when I got pregnant even though we were really trying. But we got through it. Lots of borrowed baby stuff, a few antenatal classes and a bit of optimism got us through. If you are waiting for all the stars to align or a magic time to happen, you'd wait forever. Being a parent is brilliant. But its just one thing among others that I do. My husband's really supportive, which is great, and I'm going back to to college and work. Financially, we've a large mortgage on a house in negative equity and my husband's job is contract to contract. But our parents started their families with a LOT less than we did and muddled through. Children are as expensive as you want them to be.

I just don't think it's responsible to bring a child into the world when you can barely afford to support yourself. Not owning a house is one thing, but no job/job security is another. I could be let go at any time just because they don't have enough work for me, with no redundancy pay at all. My parents weren't well off when they had me, but my dad had a secure job that covered the mortgage and bills. Myself and my partner already live on Aldi food and buy everything second hand, I'd have no problem using second hand/free stuff for my kids like my parents did, but I just wouldn't feel right having a kid unless I was reasonably sure the money would be coming in every month. Right now, if business is bad, we can up and leave, go to Asia to teach or whatever but that becomes much harder when you have a kid. I don't expect I'll ever be rich, but I hope to become at least comfortable before I start a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

I always knew I wanted to get married and have a family, and do it in that order. Throughout my early and mid 20s I had a LOT of dates and 'things' with guys my age and older, and any mention of getting married and having a family would have made them run a mile. I was going out with one guy in his 30s for about six months, when I tentatively brought up what he wanted from the future, only to never hear from him again.

I am not alone in finding this. Most of my single friends are in their late 20s/early 30s and men simply don't want to have the kid discussion within a reasonable timeframe. I also know more than one woman who's been left holding the baby by a guy in his 30s who just 'wasn't ready' for being a father.

I know there's going to be the inevitable bleating about mens rights and access to children (what do those guys do, set up an alert system whenever women begin to dicuss female issues?!). But my experience before I met my husband was that men either didn't want to talk about kids or had decided there was no rush. Which leaves women in a bind. We have a window within which we can have children. It takes a few months to get pregnant, and you can only get pregnant a certain number of days. Combine that with ANY issue (in my case very, very long cycles) and you're pretty much reducing your chances every time you try to conceive.

I really, really wish the tone of pieces like this, which places most if not all of the fertility burden on women, focused on the other elephant in the room. The men who act like teenagers well into their 30s and beyond, who don't want or haven't thought about children. They are men women my age have to contend with and its pretty much a lottery as to whether the nice guy you're seeing will stick around if you get pregnant or is interested in the fertile window you've got.

You can't just magic up a willing man to procreate with. We are constantly told of falling birthrates and women 'leaving it too late'. Well it takes two to make a baby and if men aren't willing to step up, what are women to do? Then there's criticism and lack of support for single parents, so you can't win no matter what you do.

There are some of us who are not like this though you know ;)

Don't see it happening too soon, but I actually don't think there could be anything more amazing than having a kid to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

The majority of woman would think long and hard before having a child as they know it is a huge life change. They want to be in the best position possible before having a family - ie to be married, to have a home or to have some savings and or a stable job.
    Also the majority of woman want to be with a man who wants children and not to be left to bring up a child on there own.
    There are men out there who are in there late 30's to late 40's and they still think they are 20. They have a lot of casual relationships. They meet a girl and start going out with her. If she mentions getting married/having a family they end the relationship or tell the girl the time is not right yet ( means I want you but I don't want to get married or have kids). The girlfriends then think he is right & if we wait until x date thing will be better. When x date comes and there is no change some girls stay and put up with this while other will end the relationship. As mentioned in a previous post here if you are going out with a nice guy when do you bring up the baby/marriage question as you can't persume he wants this or what happens if you get pregnant and it was not planned. Some men then have the maturity to chat to there partners about what they want long term re marriage and families while other men chose to ignore the fact this is what there partner wants.
    It is not always the woman fault that they are not pregnant/married by a certain age as it take two to tango.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Yeah there is a lot of focus from my friends on the cost of kids, they think expensive prams are essentials but really you can be as cheap as you need to be in the early days. I don't think my daughter wore anything new that wasn't a gift until the age of 3.

Its when they get older though that the costs kick in, teenagers are expensive, schooling alone has set me back a lot this year and I only have one, I wonder how people with 2 or 3 in school manage sometimes. She'll be going to college in a few years so we have to think about the cost of registrations fees and I'm glad we'll be dealing with that in our 30's rather than dealing with it as my parents did in their 50's /60's. I want to be taking it easy at that age.

I also want to be young enough to enjoy my grandkids, my dad only met one of his and I feel sad my kids missed out on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

This kind of thing makes me feel uneasy. I'm 27, been married almost 5 years. I don't want to have a baby. I have no maternal feelings and I'd always thought that they would kick in sometime. I know my husband (31) would like a kid but he never brings it up or pressures me, but still I feel a huge pile of guilt because I don't want to have one. I also feel a bit panicky when I think about having children, like I should be getting going with. I'm not saying I never want them. I suppose I still think that the maternal instinct will come on me at some stage. I hate that this whole issue makes be feel nervous and guilty!

boogle wrote: »
    This kind of thing makes me feel uneasy. I'm 27, been married almost 5 years. I don't want to have a baby. I have no maternal feelings and I'd always thought that they would kick in sometime. I know my husband (31) would like a kid but he never brings it up or pressures me, but still I feel a huge pile of guilt because I don't want to have one. I also feel a bit panicky when I think about having children, like I should be getting going with. I'm not saying I never want them. I suppose I still think that the maternal instinct will come on me at some stage. I hate that this whole issue makes be feel nervous and guilty!
    For me there was never a stage that I did not want children - I do believe that some people do not want them and always will. If you are certain at this stage I do not think that you are likely to change your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Ive never felt the desire to have a baby.. not yet anyway - Im 24.

I completley agree with this:
    IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    I'm not ready to have a baby now. I do have a partner of almost 4 years, but don't have a steady job, have hardly any savings, am light years off ever owning a house...I just can't imagine being able to afford a baby. We're barely scraping by as it is. I'm trying to get into a secure job at one of the European institutions, but that could take several years at best. I just feel that becoming an 'adult' is really difficult for this generation because we can't afford to do anything. My parents took having steady jobs for granted in their early twenties and were able to buy a house right after they got married - who can do that now?

Even if I did feel my biological clock I couldnt do anything about it - Im a lesbian and fertility coast a BOMB. (According to the fertility people us lesbians are 'electively infertile' doncha know?!')
    Not to mention I have ZERO security in my life, same with my gf.

We genuinely are a lost generation.

I do think however in about a decade or two older families will be the norm, only for younger families to become more popular again as the economy stabilises. We're still enjoying the ideal that women have a choice between career and motherhood, or both! This wasnt always the case as yous know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gelato

When I was younger my "life plan" (if you want to call it that!) was to be married by 25 and to have a child by 30. However, it didn't work out that way. I had a couple of long term relationships in my 20's but they didn't work out.

I'm 31 and getting married soon. Now that I've found the guy I want to be with, I actually find myself putting off trying for a child :o I guess for reasons already mentioned, we don't own a house and also I am thinking of a career change, so my income may not be secure in the next couple of years. Also for selfish reasons, like there are places I want to travel to and things I want to do that would be very difficult to do with a child.

I've always seen myself being a mother at some stage though and would be bitterly disappointed if it wasn't possible :( I'm worried that if I leave it much longer it might not happen. Maybe it is a case of wanting to have it all...

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

CathyMoran wrote: »
    For me there was never a stage that I did not want children - I do believe that some people do not want them and always will. If you are certain at this stage I do not think that you are likely to change your mind.

I don't think you know my mind well enough to make that judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

When my friend's mother was pregnant with her at 33, she was lectured by the hospital staff for being so irresponsible for having a baby 'at her age'. She had already had kids at that stage and was put off having any more after that. It seems so alien now, but that was only in the late 80s.

It seems a bit unfair that the onus is placed squarely on women not to leave it too late, in the same culture where it's expected that the man takes the lead with moving the relationship forward, i.e. proposing. Women are being told one one hand to 'get a move on', while at the same time receiving the cultural message that it's somehow desperate or bunny-boilerish to take the lead themselves.

Regarding being 'ready', I'm not sure if it's ever possible. For us, we've got our house, steady jobs with great maternity/ worksharing benefits, and will soon be married. The idea of starting a family tomorrow is still completely terrifying :o But it does help a hell of a lot to know that, if it did happen, we'd be relatively secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I have devoted a huge amount of time and energy worrying about this over the last few years. Always wanted babies, still looking for the right man. And I don't feel ready to go it alone and go down the sperm donor route. It just doesn't feel right to me to consciously deprive a child of having a father. Maybe I will make that decision at some stage, but I'm not there yet.

Anyway when I turned 35 I decided to have my eggs frozen. That may sound extreme (and a few people thought I was nuts), but it put my mind at ease for a while. The reality though is that, even though we are living longer than ever our fertile phase is still over relatively early. And it's just crazy that, as a woman, you spend half your fertile life thinking about what a disaster it would be if you did get pregnant and the other half thinking about how much you would love a baby. You can't win at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Molecule

Dolbert wrote: »
    When my friend's mother was pregnant with her at 33, she was lectured by the hospital staff for being so irresponsible for having a baby 'at her age'. She had already had kids at that stage and was put off having any more after that. It seems so alien now, but that was only in the late 80s.

Was that in Ireland? Seems very strange for them to say that when so many women here traditionally had children well into their 40s, given that contraception was illegal. My own mother had most of us kids in her 30s; my grandmothers both had all of their kids between early 30s and mid-40s. Even looking at census records etc it seems to have been the done thing in my family for people to be a bit older when they had children.

I'm in my 30s and for lots of reasons I haven't had kids and am not quite sure that I ever will. I don't know if it's something I want. When I was in my 20s I was quite opposed to the idea, but then I changed my mind a bit. In any case, I'm not really in a position to do so at the moment due to lack of partner/having to move constantly for work. Maybe some day I'll be one of those people saying "oh I wish I'd tried earlier" but truthfully if you'd asked me in my 20s if I wanted kids I would've replied with a horrified "no." It's easy to regret things we have or haven't done, but at the time we have our reasons for why we make the decision we do.

Advertisement