Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to city bus routes

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭redron74

I think this is apparently the case at the lights at Roches Street- though it probably doesn't work unless the bus is very near the lights and it certainly is not very effective

Mmm... I wouldn't be convinced by the lights on Roches St anyway. I've often sat on a bus there while the lights were red.

Anyway, City Councillors were so fundamentally opposed to the idea of bus lanes that they spent quite a bit of money checking out lots of ideas as alternatives. However, in most city's that have other measures in place they also have bus lanes on the busiest routes wherever there is room for them -- other measures are ancillary.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I presume the bus from debenhams to the cresent will be in operation thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I presume the bus from debenhams to the cresent will be in operation thursday?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056819345

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Whrn are these 'real time' bus trackers coming into use. Just spent 30 mins sitting at the bloody Lodge.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Whrn are these 'real time' bus trackers coming into use. Just spent 30 mins sitting at the bloody Lodge.

I think someone said February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

City Councillors might be insisting that an offical piss-up switching on ceremony takes place before the trackers are put into operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Were they not online a few weeks ago, the displays by the bus stops I mean. Why are they turned off again?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭lasno

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I think your getting mixed up with "when is the UL bus arriving" ....... at that it'll probably be full also. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

lasno wrote:
    They were online for testing.
    I half thought BE turned them off as it showed just how 'punctual' their buses were.;)

On another note here's some comments I have on the 304:
    -One of the more unusual occurrences I experienced was it turning up with the old 308 number on it. No this wasn't the Euro Bus (yes I'm aware the Euro Bus operates with 308 on it).

-One time it didn't actually have any number or destination on it. It just pulled up and people assumed it was heading for UL and just got on (no not driver changeover).

-When outbound from UL it seems to be dependent on the driver whether they service that U turn down in the national technology park? I understand that there's certain hours that the tech park is suppose to be serviced at but haven't seen any consistence there (haven't actually seen anyone use that stop between 16:00 and 17:00 anyways).

-You still have the odd occurence of 2 buses turning up together which probably explains why sometimes it doesn't turn up at all (I wait close to 25 minutes most days). It's all good for BE to boast that there's 4 buses an hour but they really need to ensure that they're spaced out at their supposed 15 minute intervals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Champ wrote: »
    I half thought BE turned them off as it showed just how 'punctual' their buses were.;)
    RTPI means every stop and departure gets a time based on achievable performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Bus Eireann are considering going on strike this coming Sunday apparently. Just in case people use their service to get around town

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Fiendster

This topic has filled me with dread :(
    Having spent 10 years in Dublin in my comfort zone I've moved down the country and will hopefully be working in the Technology park but in a cruel twist of irony using public transport for all this those years in Dublin means I can't drive.
    I was relying on taking the 304 as I'll be travelling from Thurles by train which is tight time wise as it is each weekday.

Is there any slight improvement on the bus service?? No bus lanes is insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Fiendster wrote: »
    This topic has filled me with dread :(
    Having spent 10 years in Dublin in my comfort zone I've moved down the country and will hopefully be working in the Technology park but in a cruel twist of irony using public transport for all this those years in Dublin means I can't drive.
    I was relying on taking the 304 as I'll be travelling from Thurles by train which is tight time wise as it is each weekday.

Is there any slight improvement on the bus service?? No bus lanes is insane!

304 has actually become fairly reliable, even in the morning/evening. No more buses randomly not showing up.

Where in the park will you work?

304 has actually become fairly reliable, even in the morning/evening. No more buses randomly not showing up.

Where in the park will you work?

Northern Trust! Thank God that's not too bad so!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

There is a free android bus app, 'Real Time Bus,' that is increasingly reliable for telling when buses are coming. It's still got some kinks as apparently not all buses are linked to the satellite system yet but it's still pretty useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Fiendster wrote: »
    Northern Trust! Thank God that's not too bad so!!

NT is pretty close to the nearest bus stop. Its located in Hamilton House 2 with Hamilton House 1 being visible from the road at the start of the estate.

Thanks for all the info guys! I don't feel as daunted now about leaving the Schmoke and getting to know a new city. I'm sure it won't take too long :-/

How feasible is it to commute from Dooradoyle-L.I.T. every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

leakyboots wrote: »
    How feasible is it to commute from Dooradoyle-L.I.T. every day?

Did it when I lived in Raheen when I went there a few years ago, i'd imagine the public transport system has improved since the early 00's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

You could get the 304 and 302 or you could cycle in about 30 minutes.

Bus Éireann are pleased to announce that as and from Sunday, 7 April 2013, a revised Route 306, Ballynanty - City Centre - Brookfield, timetable will be introduced following a review of this service.
    From this date this service will operate as follows Route 306 Ballynanty – City Centre – Edward St and will no longer operate to the Brookfield area. This change will provide direct linkages between the Ballynanty area and the Bus/Rail Station and will provide public transport services from the Edward Street area to the City Centre.

It's no harm anyway. I never saw anyone on the Brookfield bus.

Bus Éireann are pleased to announce that as and from Sunday, 7 April 2013, a revised Route 306, Ballynanty - City Centre - Brookfield, timetable will be introduced following a review of this service.
    From this date this service will operate as follows Route 306 Ballynanty – City Centre – Edward St and will no longer operate to the Brookfield area. This change will provide direct linkages between the Ballynanty area and the Bus/Rail Station and will provide public transport services from the Edward Street area to the City Centre.
    It's no harm anyway. I never saw anyone on the Brookfield bus.

Well, I only ever travelled on that bus twice myself (going out to PC World and Aldi), and there were only ever 3-4 others on the bus. This was on the 5:00pm service each time. I'm sure the buses leaving William St for UL around this time are packed every evening.

But it's quite easy to explain why the uptake on this new service was so poor. No one could be sure it actually existed!!!
    Any time I went to the bus stop at Arthurs Quay Park, I could not see a timetable for this route. This really annoyed me! :mad:
    Several times I had intended to take this bus, but rather than risk it, I just went over to William St where I was assured I would get a bus that would leave me on the Dublin Road.
    The only place to check the timetable was on the internet. So apart from those who might have used it as regular commuters, there is no way they were going to build up any level of casual usage.

The loss of this route also means that Clare St is now without a bus service.
    Anyway, since this route did not serve the retail parks on the Ballysimon/Tipperary Road, its introduction was only ever going to have a minimal impact on improving the bus infrastructure in Limerick.

BTW, I believe the 301 was originally supposed to serve Edward St (as the old 304A used to), but before the new routes actually got implemented this was changed so that it just went straight down Hyde Road.

Sorry to bump this thread again but I didn't see this mentioned.

Bus Éireann are introducing an updated timetable for the 304 route. It looks as if there's gonna be an earlier service in the morning with a later service at night. The bus is also gonna go to National Technology Park in Plassey during Rush Hour.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1378478984-304.pdf

Effective from the 15th of September.

Sorry to bump this thread again but I didn't see this mentioned.

Bus Éireann are introducing an updated timetable for the 304 route. It looks as if there's gonna be an earlier service in the morning with a later service at night. The bus is also gonna go to National Technology Park in Plassey during Rush Hour.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1378478984-304.pdf

Effective from the 15th of September.

Some buses have been operating via the National Technology Park, but it's great that it's been made official and publicised through this (very slightly) revised timetable.

This is great for all those working in the NTP who start their shifts at 16:10. That bus from town at 15:45 should get them in on time! (Traffic will make it tight though.)
    But if your shift starts at 16:00, it's just the same as before: 15:15 bus, then 15min walk in the rain! :rolleyes:

That 304 bus is a disgrace, my sister uses it regularly to come from Dooradoyle and waiting time can be up to 40 mins on any given day at any time.

Just today it was 35 mins even though the time table says every 15. She asked the driver and he said it's every 20!

Advertisement