Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to city bus routes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Champ wrote: »
    Yep they're pretty much blaming the lack of bus lanes for the epic fail that is this "improved" service (while still defending it as an improved service???).

However there's only so much that they can blame on that, the 304 for example what on earth did they expect to happen combining two of the busiest routes into the one single deck bus??? No surprise people are getting left behind. Add the real chance that the bus never even turns up (very problematic in Limerick) and you get a progressively worse knock off effect as follow up buses have to clear the backlog. An utter joke of a bus service made borderline insulting by their continued defence that it's an "improved" service.

I just wish they could run a reliable service at least hourly never mind ever 30 or 15 minutes...

The lack of bus lanes excuse is a joke to be honest. Large stretches of the new set up are roads that have not been listed for bus lanes anyway.

Plus many of the outgoing routes will, if all the proposed bus lanes do actually get built, have no bus lanes at all.

They will no doubt just keep throwing out the words "bus lane" and "improved" whilst waiting for people to yet again settle for another sub standard service in the city.

Laugable that so much got made about how people should shop more in the city and also drive less in the city, but the public transport system for the city actually gets worse.

Who I feel sorry for are the people who are being affected going to work or to hospitals etc because unless they drive they don't have another all weather option that would be more time effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

redron74 wrote: »
    Are you sure this was a Bus Eireann bus?
    I noticed the other day that the Eurobus uses 308 as its route number. Someone told me it was 308B before the recent changes.

This seems like slightly dodgy practice to me. Surely Bus Eireann have some copyright on their route network scheme. Or have those rights been taken off them and given to the National Transport Authority? No private company would allow rivals to use their intellectual property, so why should a state company! Strange:confused:

Yes, it was BE

Eurobus seem to just set 308B of their own accord, I don't think it's any kind of official number

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭redron74

Just discovered yesterday that the 301 doesn't stop at Henry St Garda Station any more. Someone pressed the bell and 7-8 people stood up to get off, but the bus just kept going, before stopping at Dunne Stores.
    I hadn't noticed this on monday, as I was going all the way to Arthurs Quay then. But I'm sure I got off there a few times over the previous fortnight.
    If the 301 doesn't stop there any more, offhand I can't think of any service that would use that stop now.

Has anyone else written to the National Transport Authority or Bus Eireann?
    A driver told me he thought they were "looking at" the 301 and 304 routes again. While it's not fair on the drivers to be chopping and changing their routines at very short notice, it's important that they get any modifications to the routes right.
    I am urging everyone to put their grievances forward in the hope that they listen to at least some of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

redron74 wrote:
    I am urging everyone to put their grievances forward in the hope that they listen to at least some of us.
    That's what I'm hoping this thread will do. In fact the contact details for BE Limerick have been listed earlier in this thread. Do note It'll probably have to be something other than an e-mail which is quite easy to ignore (which I suspect they do for the most part). Thus phone / write a letter. Just don't be surprised if it's blamed on bus lanes and they insist that its an overall improved service.:rolleyes:
    redron74 wrote:
    A driver told me he thought they were "looking at" the 301 and 304 routes again.
    I'm trying to keep myself from hoping now as I suspect I'll be gravely disappointed as:
    -They have a near monopoly on bus services, they don't have to do anything they don't want to.
    -It took them this long (years) to actually realise the bus services in Limerick need a radical overhaul and not only did they epicly fail (going for more appearance than substance) but they made it overall worse for a significant number of commuters *points at the disaster that the "improved" 304 is*.
    -They're going to have to admit the geniuses who implemented these wonderful "improvements" messed up big time having obviously never used the buses nor consulted with the drivers on those routes. I suspect getting blood from a turnip will be easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭you wha?

Just discovered yesterday that the 301 doesn't stop at Henry St Garda Station any more. Someone pressed the bell and 7-8 people stood up to get off, but the bus just kept going, before stopping at Dunne Stores.
    I hadn't noticed this on monday, as I was going all the way to Arthurs Quay then. But I'm sure I got off there a few times over the previous fortnight.
    If the 301 doesn't stop there any more, offhand I can't think of any service that would use that stop now.

Citylink use that stop the past few months now to drop off and collect people from/going to cork and galway but the 301 used stop there too!!the new bus routes are a complete joke.i was waiting for 30mins last week for bus to the crescent, none turned up.my friend i was meeting ended up coming in and collecting me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sevda

I live near Childers Rd and work in the hospital. Parking is brutal - 10 min walk from the back of the hospital to the office.

I did look into getting the bus before but there was no direct route ad I didn't want the hassel of 2 buses so was happy to see this route end to end.

I got the 304 to the hospital just after 9.15 on Wed and Thursday and got there in about 35 minutes - was thrilled. Home was slower but I had my ipod so I was happy enough. I do seem to be the only one or two going end to end though. I'd say if the service was better this would improve as parking is very expensive at the hospital as well.

I don't see the point of going to the station on the way to hospital as getting off at the presentation is near enough and quicker. For town people are getting off on Roches Street.

The train station is useful on the way from the hospital for people getting a train. There was a mum and her 3/4 year old heading back to ennis and she was thrilled she didn't have to walk to the station from the city centre but she was waiting longer than me which wouldn't have been nice on a cold evening.

This week was different - taking 50 minutes and being asked to change in town. To be fair the bus driver asked me to take the 301 as he was going back to UL to help the back log. I did get a fright when it headed down Fr Russel Road first but I know now.

25 minutes wait this evening 5.20pm outside the hosp and the 304 that arrived was only going to town. Just as we got to Debemahms, the UL 304 pulled off so he told me to stay on the bus as he was going to the garage. He flashed the UL 304 and I got on just after the lights on the top of William Street and hopped on.

Bus drivers in the main have been sound and the others who haven't been are weary I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Leanne2112 wrote: »
    I honestly can't believe they thought that merging the two busiest routes in the city was a good idea.
    Maybe I'm missing something, but surely this is a good idea? You are hardly going to match a very busy location on one side of the city with a very quiet location on the other side of the city.
    I noticed the other day that the Eurobus uses 308 as its route number. Someone told me it was 308B before the recent changes.

This seems like slightly dodgy practice to me. Surely Bus Eireann have some copyright on their route network scheme. Or have those rights been taken off them and given to the National Transport Authority? No private company would allow rivals to use their intellectual property, so why should a state company! Strange:confused:
    All bus routes are being put into a single numbering series nationally, as would be sensible. A number series is hardly intellectual property. In any case, it isn't as if there is a 304 by one company competing with a 304 from another company. The NTA own all data produced by the bus operators.

In Galway, BÉ are 401-401, while City Direct are 411-414.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭rushian

Victor wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something, but surely this is a good idea? You are hardly going to match a very busy location on one side of the city with a very quiet location on the other side of the city.

They probably should not have been merged at all considering how busy both routes are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

All bus routes are being put into a single numbering series nationally, as would be sensible. A number series is hardly intellectual property. In any case, it isn't as if there is a 304 by one company competing with a 304 from another company. The NTA own all data produced by the bus operators.

In Galway, BÉ are 401-401, while City Direct are 411-414

I think the city buses in the country go by the size of that city..cork city buses are 201-202 etc (2 being the 2nd largest city), Limerick's are the 301-302 etc (3 being the 3rd largest city), galway then is 401-402 etc being the 4th largest..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Definitely BE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I got a response from BE to say that from today they have introduced the old 7:55 am raheen - ul bus during term time monday - friday. I am guessing this is the one that bypasses the city centre?

Look, it's not a major issue. But Bus Eireann have had a route numbering system since the company was founded, and no doubt there was some investment required to develop it. It wouldn't happen in private companies that such a system would be used by others without compensation.
    The level of investment in Bus Eireann since the establishment of the National Transport Authority would seem to suggest that Bus Eireann has not been compensated for the transfer of this system from it to the NTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

The 301 and 304 are total nightmares now.they have improved the route to serve more people but they cant do every 15 min and make that journey

And the made up stops up Muclair roaf and Avonmore road are a joke

Ruined a great service...took me an hour and 10 min to get to o connell avenue today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

bigpink wrote: »
    The 301 and 304 are total nightmares now.they have improved the route to serve more people but they cant do every 15 min and make that journey

And the made up stops up Muclair roaf and Avonmore road are a joke

Ruined a great service...took me an hour and 10 min to get to o connell avenue today

The stops on Mulcair Road could be advertised better. I think if properly sign posted, a lot of people including me would use those stops

Theres not even poles never mind real stops and even have a map like the london tube with all the stops

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Theres not even poles never mind real stops and even have a map like the london tube with all the stops

Bus stop signs at all bus stops seems logical but it's not the case and will probably never be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Presuming Ed

The 301 and 304 are total nightmares now.

Correct. Took an hour and 10 mins today to travel what used to take 25 mins before they messed it up. Driver had UL written on the front-of-bus display when he was going in the Ballycummin direction. This was pointed out but nothing done. So confusion at Sarsfield St and when driving past the stop on William Street loads of people flagging the bus and confused why it drove past.

Im going to try draw a map of the actual route they are going with stops and send it to them and a link to this thread

Some days i need the 301 other days 304 both are a nightmare and then the days 3 304s come at once.I understand traffic but this should have accounted and given a few min extra

• Advertisement

The taxis are cleaning up in U.l a 6 or 8 seater pulls up at a busy spot 2 euro a head to town

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Presuming Ed

The taxis are cleaning up in U.l a 6 or 8 seater pulls up at a busy spot 2 euro a head to town

Maybe if it starts hitting Bus Eireann in the pocket they will realise what a mess they have made.

I have gotten 3 304s in the past week which have all taken different routes into town:
    (1) The old 304 route down o'connell crescent
    (2) Turn down barrington st back up mallow st and then henry st
    (3) Turn down barrington st, up parnell st and down roches st

Wtf??

8 seater miin bus pulled up at U.L someone flagged him and the driver just said anyone else for town jump in 2 euro each

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

We were all after getting on the 304 bus last week in town and next minute another bus pulls up and the driver turns around to us and says right off, get that bus. apparently he was changing routes.

On another complete off topic bus eireann rant.. I got the usual Bus Eireann bus from the east gate in UL to go to waterford at 4.15. The usual route is out the gate and left avoiding all the roundabouts and rush hour traffic and onto the motor way.
    This lad drives out, turns left and down to the next set of traffic lights during rush hour.. Grand anyway thinking he's going out past broofield. No, he approaches the groody roundabout in the packed inside lane.. Everyone is looking around to see what he's doing and then he heads off up towards parkway and takes childers road to get out onto the tip road.. during rush hour. He arrived in clonmel and the tit didnt even know the old bridge at the station was closed and had to go all the way back around through town in the busiest clonmel times. The usual 1.25 minute trip to clonmel took 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mr.Mackey

A lot of buses aren't running as timetabled, bus drivers drive into town and then ask everyone to get off, I was asked to walk from Roches st. to Sarsfield St. one evening because the driver was finishing up.

Its a complete mess, I had to wait for 20mins another evening for another bus to come along, its meant to be a straight run from Raheen to Castletroy,

The bus drivers can be very unhelpful, I know they're up to their eyes at the moment but some of them are really ignorant.

I had to way over 30mins for the bus to come in Raheen the other morning, I got into town at 10, the bus driver asked me to get out and go up to William st. and he must have went off for his tea. I went to William St. and waited 10 mins for another bus.
    This one bus driver was giving me crap about how I can't just use one ticket to move from bus to bus, even though the bus from Raheen was split. I then got snapped at and was told to sit down. It was as though he was doing me a favour, I had paid for my ticket and was held up because of a poorly run system, I wasn't asking him for anything other than what I had paid for.

I seen another bus inspector type screaming at a woman who was upset at the delays in service, bear in mind this woman was annoyed but in no way as agressive as he was.

Its common to be waiting the bones of an hour for a bus, you'd swear we were all living out in the sticks.

It's a shame Eurobus don't run more often, the 2 lads driving for them are gentlemen and dealing with them is far easier.

The main excuse at the moment is there's delays because of traffic, not enough time etc, I say this is part rubbish, I reckon some buses don't run and the drivers are taking their breaks when it suits them rather than the customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

Maybe if it starts hitting Bus Eireann in the pocket they will realise what a mess they have made.

Nah they'll just keep upping the price
    It's a shame Eurobus don't run more often, the 2 lads driving for them are gentlemen and dealing with them is far easier.

I understand the Eurobus is looking to expand the service over the next couple of months

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Had to get the bus home from the station at 4 yesterday. I arrived at the Elm Park stop at 2.55 expecting a 3 o clock bus. No bus arrived until 3.25.

Euro bus have 2 buses now I see, the orange one and a white one.. Hopefully they will be going more frequent.

garv123 wrote: »

Euro bus have 2 buses now I see, the orange one and a white one.. Hopefully they will be going more frequent.

Great stuff - pity they leave town at X.40 and X.52 - would be better if they were more spread out x.40 and x.10 but still!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Great stuff - pity they leave town at X.40 and X.52 - would be better if they were more spread out x.40 and x.10 but still!

There's only the one bus that leaves at x.40. There's no x.52 bus. :confused::confused:

Advertisement