Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 janejjjjjjj

Toast wrote: »
    You missed the Eavis talk when the fully naked 70 year old woman asked him about his dedication to the lay lines so. :-D

Jumped into the circus during Paul Simon after unsuccessfully trying to brave it out on the pyramid field and it was a lot cooler. Might have just been the time of day or the contrast between out in the direct sun versus shade.

I remember in 2005 on the Thursday desperately searching for shade and the best we managed was the acoustic tent but as it wasn't officially open so they kept kicking us out. When we went back to see some groups during the actual festival it was so sweltering hot we were drenched coming out of it so I guess it is a matter of how many people are in there as well.

I missed that, must have been some sight. We were in that 2005 Acoustic crowd too, nightmare getting kicked out into that sun

I'd say you're right about the time and amount of people, it was late morning and rammed as it was the news panel thing (early edition?) and everyone turns up to see Phil Jupitus and all.

I take it you're not in the NFR NFC group though and were more a SFR SFC person?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

I take it you're not in the NFR NFC group though and were more a SFR SFC person?

The amount of people I've described that thread to who've been baffled but intrigued. "So they sit around posting "NFR NFC" for months and that's it?" Yeah I missed 2010 thanks to a wedding and I was almost glad when I heard the tales.

Best weather for me has been 2009 (maybe not the Wednesday) which was a good mix of dry, warm but not murderous sun. If we can get a bit of cloud to keep the temperature down I'd be happy. If that means the odd drop of rain I'd take the hit. Memories of the 2005 flood and 2007 mud do make me shiver a bit at the thought of wet but midday blazing sun with no shade is equally as crippling.

The amount of people I've described that thread to who've been baffled but intrigued. "So they sit around posting "NFR NFC" for months and that's it?" .

Ah you're forgetting the sacrifices made to the raingod and the packing lists that include no summer gear and waterproof everything. One brave soul was even prepared to leave the suncream at home

I agree though, plenty of warm sunny weather but with a few showers to keep the dust down and a bit of cloud cover would be the best. (I wouldn't dare post that in NFR NFC though, I'd be eaten alive)

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Just Finished Packing The Car!!! Leaving Tonight On The Overnight Sealink Dublin To Holyhead...see you all on the other side!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 hellosailor

Heading off at 4am, I can't believe its here already! I hope ye all have an amazing time see ye on the other side!!! :D x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I hate you all :( :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 herny

just packing to head off this afternoon...weather looks good...fingers crossed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

Can't believe I'm currently sick in bed with a stomach bug. Really hope it's just a 24 hour thing! :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Went to pick up a small amount of apple juice yesterday.

9125083372_5356e85eb1.jpg

Should be enough to get us through the first day. Should be parked up and sampling some zoider on site by the middle of the afternoon tomorrow. :D:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 shinedaisy

Anyone on a Friday flight that get into Bristol around 1.30 Friday 28th? We have a space for two in a taxi if anyone want to share!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Just heading off now. This is going to be so good! Have a great one everyone.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Anyone heading over on the Thursday want to taxi share. 3 of us heading over at that time

Flight gets in at 5.10.

Its looking about £60-80 depending on how many end up getting the taxi.

http://www.airporttaxis-uk.co.uk/Transfer/Glastonbury-BRS/Bristol/

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

I'm on the Aer Lingus/Aer Arann flight landing at around 12.30 on Thursday. I posted a while back looking for anyone who'd want to share a taxi and got one reply.

Anyone else on this flight looking to share?

For those who've been in recent years, is this a realistic option, or would I be better just head into Bristol and book myself onto a coach from there in advance?

Going to Bristol is one big time sink and should always be avoided but it is the cheapest option. If you can't get someone to split your taxi you are looking at a fairly expensive fair.

Bus to Bristol is every ten minutes from outside the airport and costs 11 quid return. A1 is quicker than an A2 but they alternate on the ten minute schedule so you might not have a choice. The National Express goes from Bristol Bus station and is 22 quid return with booking fees. There is also a bus from Bristol Temple Meads which I think might be 15 quid each way (not sure).

Taxi will be in the region of 70 quid but keep in mind that getting one on the way back is not easy (needs to be prebooked) so you'll probably end up spending money on a coach ticket leaving the festival as well as the flyer.

Festival is telling people that the drop off point for Taxis is Bath and West Showgrounds which has shuttle buses which will bring you to the festival. See if you can convince the taxi to do a sneaky drop off somewhere closer to the festival to save you some time. By Thursday most will know if they can drop off elsewhere or not.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking myself. Unless I can get in with people on the flight, Bristol is the best option. Does anyone know if I would have to have prebooked a coach from there, though? Or can you just hop on like the way things work here with Dublin Bus or whoever.

I'm not in a huge rush to get to the festival. Would like to be there for The Pharcyde at 8ish on Thursday, but that's it.

For those who've been in recent years, is this a realistic option, or would I be better just head into Bristol and book myself onto a coach from there in advance?

if you can get enough people that's the best option. But a taxi will probably cost you £60 + so you'll probably need a few of you.

Bristol airport is Glastonbury side of Bristol so, if you go via Bristol, you will be travelling in and back out again, adding a good hour of travelling to your journey plus there could be queues for buses or trains at Bristol.

If there is seats available you don't have to prebook. Think you can pay at the door of the coach. You could also get a train from Temple Meads. No idea if its quicker or cheaper. Bus is fairly fast and goes straight to the festival... the only annoying thing is that you need to go to Bristol first to get it which is a good 30 minutes in the wrong direction.

If you're only landing at midday on the Thursday then making an 8pm act could be a bit of a rush if you are going via Bristol.

Nothing is going to happen quickly and although the bus might be quick, when you add up all the 10-20 minutes waiting at each of Bristol Airport for baggage/ airport for the bus/ Temple Meads/ Bus Station/ rush hour traffic/ traffic trying to get to the site causing additional jams/ queuing to get through the gate/ walking across the site/ being knackered and stopping for a refreshing pint at the Cider Bus... next thing you know it will be 9pm and you'll wonder where the day went.

Go direct to the site if you possibly can as the airport is already half way there.

Yeah, that's my first choice, but tbh I'm not that bothered what time I get there on Thursday at. Ideally, there'll be a few people I can jump in a taxi with, but if I end up not getting there until quite late, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭brozio7

thunderdog wrote: »
    Anyone heading over on the Thursday want to taxi share. 3 of us heading over at that time

Flight gets in at 5.10.

Its looking about £60-80 depending on how many end up getting the taxi.

http://www.airporttaxis-uk.co.uk/Transfer/Glastonbury-BRS/Bristol/

Anybody thinking of getting a taxi I can't recommend these guys enough.. http://www.gnstaxis.com/ They will stop at a supermarket to get booze on the way if you ask, know the back roads to the festival (no traffic) and will drop you in Pilton which isnt too far from the main gates. I've used them every Glasto for the last few years

I'm on the Aer Lingus/Aer Arann flight landing at around 12.30 on Thursday. I posted a while back looking for anyone who'd want to share a taxi and got one reply.

Anyone else on this flight looking to share?

I think two of the lads in my group could be on that flight too. I'll find out and let you know

brozio7 wrote: »
    Anybody thinking of getting a taxi I can't recommend these guys enough.. http://www.gnstaxis.com/ They will stop at a supermarket to get booze on the way if you ask, know the back roads to the festival (no traffic) and will drop you in Pilton which isnt too far from the main gates. I've used them every Glasto for the last few years

Cheers. I just sent them off an email there to get a quote

Looks like National Express are no longer taking bookings for Glastonbury travel for some reason. I don't know if that means they are all completely sold out (Seems unlikely) or if it is to charge people more on the day to get tickets (I suspect this is it). A friend didn't get his ticket in time so if there is anyone on the early morning Wednesday Ryanair flight who has a space on a taxi for him give me a shout. If you have two I'll skip out on my couch and go with as well (and someone can have my couch ticket I guess).

Looks like National Express are no longer taking bookings for Glastonbury travel for some reason. I don't know if that means they are all completely sold out (Seems unlikely) or if it is to charge people more on the day to get tickets (I suspect this is it). A friend didn't get his ticket in time so if there is anyone on the early morning Wednesday Ryanair flight who has a space on a taxi for him give me a shout. If you have two I'll skip out on my couch and go with as well (and someone can have my couch ticket I guess).

That's great but do you reckon the nice big comfy couch will fit on the coach?

Sorry couldn't resist!:o

Having said that you could be onto something for next year.....bring a few couches to Glastonbury and rent them out for the weekend!You'd make a load!;)

I'm always making that bloody typo. Looks like we got something sorted anyway so if someone wants to buy a National Express ticket from Bristol at 9.30am let me know.

Yay. Heading to the site today. :D

Just waiting for the Dublin flight to land in Bristol, collect this week's cider drinking buddy, load the camper and off we go.

Lovely weather over here today. Not a cloud in the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Whats the best way to print clashfinder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Bring sun cream! I'm here now and It's roasting,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

....also the Sniffer dogs are out in force so don't bring drugs!!

Advertisement