Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

hi, this may seem a little longwinded so bear with me.....

myself and my brother are headin to glasto this year, I managed to get my ticket in the october sale and my brother could only manage a bus ticket combo from Swindon 5 am Wednesday morning, thing is......

we are travelling from Ireland via Fishguard in a camper, I dont drive so it is a complete pain for us, it look likes we will have to drive to Swindon stay there tuesday night, my brother to take the bus from Swindon, get his ticket onroute and then travel back to Swindon to collect me and the camper.

Questions are;

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a bus back to Swindon after arriving at the festial site?
    Does anyone think it might be at all possible for me to take my brother place on the bus and collect his ticket?
    Does the bus driver check the photos on tickets?
    Does anyone know any way around this predicament so we can maxamise our time at the festival?

all info and advice welcome....

Cheers
    Dom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

1.) probably not directly. I think on the wednesday all buses are pretty much drop off only except for shuttle buses to and from Castle Cary and maybe some limited services back to London?
    2.) Not officially no.
    3.) They are meant to. How much like your brother do you look like?
    4.)
    A.) Ditch the camper idea, fly over and stay in Swindon Tuesday night, your brother gets the coach and you try pay onto the same coach?
    B.) Get a third person to drive the camper for you. Perhaps post on efestivals lift share and find if there is someone who can drive who would be interested in transport from Swidon. In exchange for the lift they do the driving.
    C.) Have your brother beg the driver for his ticket without having to go on the coach. If he is there early and there arent many people around and he explains the situation there is a chance he might take pity on you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

D)
    Drive over on the Tuesday and park up the van near'ish the site. If your very lucky there may be a campsite available near Wells or Shepton for instance. You'll not be able to get into the campervan field on the Tuesday though as you'll not have enough tickets at that stage. Your brother gets a lift to Swindon and then buses back down, gets off the bus with ticket at site and drives the camper the short way into the campervan fields.

Whatever way you do it it's going to be a hassle though I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

opr wrote: »
    I think in 2011 we paid £10 each (£60 total) between six of us for a Taxi that we just hailed at Bristol Airport. That included a detour to stop at Wells Tesco on the way to stock up on booze.

The thread below has a couple of local taxi driver numbers in the last post that you can ring and pre-book one if you want which will probably work out a little cheaper.

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/172711-taxi-from-bristol-airport-to-the-site/

Another link - http://www.bristolairportminibus.co.uk/bristol-to-glastonbury-festival-minibus-transfers.html

Opr

cool, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭fincollins

Getting excited now!!

So whos going over on the irish ferries 8:45 ferry on the wednesday?? theres two vehicles worth of our gang going!

anybody any idea on where to camp??? bit of an information overload...but handy site http://www.glastoearth.com/the-faq

somebody make a decision :)

• Advertisement

Wow this clashfinder is a maze, apart from the big acts any recommendations for indie/guitar type music that maybe lost in the mix?

You can kill off stages in the Clashfinder options. Should become pretty clear over time which stages you'll never make it down to.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The greenpeace showers usually have a shorter queue but are cold with hippy soap
    After a couple of days though its the best shower youll ever have!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Thought these were pretty cool posted on another forum. An old map and a few old pictures.

Glastonbury1979.jpg

t0fl.jpg

s9rj.jpg

0k86.jpg

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭ceegee

Chinpool wrote: »
    The greenpeace showers usually have a shorter queue but are cold with hippy soap
    After a couple of days though its the best shower youll ever have!

Afair theyre solarpowered, used them in 09 and they were warm enough (although there was more sun to heat them that year than most)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

Sziget was unreal! Would love to go back again but I want to head to as many different festivals around the globe as I can fit in till I get too old (if thats possible)

This time 2 weeks we will be lookin for a spot to pitch our tent! whoohooooo :D

was thinkin i might head again this year but funds are tight with glasto, would like to see Blur again. did ya do the whole festival or just a few days?

This time 10 days i will hopefully be very merry in the southeast corner, i am so excited just cant wait now......:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 hellosailor

foolelle wrote: »
    was thinkin i might head again this year but funds are tight with glasto, would like to see Blur again. did ya do the whole festival or just a few days?

This time 10 days i will hopefully be very merry in the southeast corner, i am so excited just cant wait now......:D:D:D

We did the whole Festival it was unreal, we didnt camp there tho it would have been too hot! My feet were never so sore in all my life from all the walking but I guess Glasto is gonna be the same haha Im packed n all! Just gotta get my car checked over during the week and change my money to sterling oh and get my booze which I plan on getting in the UK as its way cheaper! So nearly all set :)

Oh does anyone have any tips for driving from ireland to Bristol? Anything I should check in the car, directions, petrol costs etc...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Oh does anyone have any tips for driving from ireland to Bristol? Anything I should check in the car, directions, petrol costs etc...

Get your petrol in a supermarket off the motorways or you'll be paying way over the odds.

Directions from Fishguard->keep following signs until you hit the M4->You do not need to pay the toll for the Severn Bridge when heading east, but save yourself £6.10 for the trip back if in a car, more if in a campervan->then follow signs for M5 South->Get off M5 at J23 and follow everyone else.

Directions from Holyhead->A55->you can skip the corner if feeling adventurous->M6 south->M5 south->get off at J23 and follow everyone else.

If you are in a campervan then check which side your ticket is for. For the west then just follow the M5 and go via Glastonbury to the site. If you have tickets for the East then getting there is a touch more complicated, although the East side is the bigger campervan area.
    For the East, approximately head through Bristol. M4->M32->A4174->A37->Shepton Mallet->follow everyone else. Once you get close to the site they will direct you depending on what parking ticket you have.

It's a long drive, and then the bit from Bristol/ M5 to the site will potentially take as long as it took you to get that far again.
    When you get near the site you should be able to pick up Worthy FM on 87.7 which should relive some of the bordem of being in a queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 hellosailor

robinph wrote: »
    Get your petrol in a supermarket off the motorways or you'll be paying way over the odds.

Directions from Fishguard->keep following signs until you hit the M4->You do not need to pay the toll for the Severn Bridge when heading east, but save yourself £6.10 for the trip back if in a car, more if in a campervan->then follow signs for M5 South->Get off M5 at J23 and follow everyone else.

Directions from Holyhead->A55->you can skip the corner if feeling adventurous->M6 south->M5 south->get off at J23 and follow everyone else.

If you are in a campervan then check which side your ticket is for. For the west then just follow the M5 and go via Glastonbury to the site. If you have tickets for the East then getting there is a touch more complicated, although the East side is the bigger campervan area.
    For the East, approximately head through Bristol. M4->M32->A4174->A37->Shepton Mallet->follow everyone else. Once you get close to the site they will direct you depending on what parking ticket you have.

It's a long drive, and then the bit from Bristol/ M5 to the site will potentially take as long as it took you to get that far again.
    When you get near the site you should be able to pick up Worthy FM on 87.7 which should relive some of the bordem of being in a queue.

Thanks for that! I didn't know about the toll so Ill be sure to keep that aside for on the way back, alot of tolls in the UK take exact change only too...
    Im driving by car and we are staying in Bristol the night before we head to the fest so at least Ill have some rest. Same on the way home. :)

Ive jump leads, a jack & wrench, hi viz jacket and water in the car is there anything else I should have incase of an emergency?

I did Sziget in 2009 and found it was lacking compared to Glastonbury. It looks like our lineup happened to be the worst ever which didn't help but just in general the entire place while big was very very samey (same food stalls in each place, there was a circus performance thing but it was the same each night, everything of interest was a corporate advert etc). Just in general by the time we'd been there for 4 days we felt we'd seen everything. I usually leave Glastonbury feeling like we've missed most of it.

Thanks for that! I didn't know about the toll so Ill be sure to keep that aside for on the way back, alot of tolls in the UK take exact change only too...
    Im driving by car and we are staying in Bristol the night before we head to the fest so at least Ill have some rest. Same on the way home. :)

Ive jump leads, a jack & wrench, hi viz jacket and water in the car is there anything else I should have incase of an emergency?

You've more kit than most people driving on UK roads will have so don't worry about that. A tow rope might be useful for getting out of the carpark if you get stuck, but don't be using rope actually on a real road.

The only tolls that anyone should encounter coming from Ireland is the Severn Bridge on the way back if going via Rosslare. If getting the ferry from Holyhead then you could take a wrong turn around Birmingham and find yourself on the M6 Toll, but there is no need to go that way.
    If you are staying in Bristol anyway then driving to the site down the A37 may make more sense than going via the M5, although it is really just pot luck as to where or if you might get stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

Times are up on Clashfinder now. A nice trick I found with the Clashfinder is to use the settings button and select the bands you want from the alphabetical list then go to the stages tab and untick all the stages (except maybe the main 6) and tick the button to include stages with bands you want to see. This will give you a much more condensed timetable than the frankly insane default (which doesn't even contain all the stages!). Here is mine at the mo.

Must post mine when I get chance to add a few more acts. The festival app is handy too, I wonder if they could use it to estimate crowd sizes, the Stones are surely going to draw one of the biggest crowds ever to the Pyramid stage.
    My mind is turning to weather now, still too early to get an accurate forecast I suppose, BBC is showing dry weather here http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2648559/extended

Someone on efestivals said the lad who makes Clashfinder does get paid for the info regards crowd sizes that are pulled from it. The info was public for a short time a few years back and it was quite interesting.

Efestival forum users are also quite confident for the weather. I've made the mistake of getting over confident back in 2005 so until I see a clear forecast on the Wednesday morning before flying out I'll be holding my breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Toast wrote: »
    Efestival forum users are also quite confident for the weather. I've made the mistake of getting over confident back in 2005 so until I see a clear forecast on the Wednesday morning before flying out I'll be holding my breath.

Yeah getting within a decently reliable time frame now for forecasts and it looks quite good. For anyone looking for updates, guy over on NetWeather does a detailed daily update.

Thread with link to updates - http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/76531-glastonbury-wed-26-to-sun-30-june-2013/page-8

Latest update - http://forum.netweather.tv/blog/189/entry-4634-glastonbury-forecast-15-21st-june/

Newspaper Taglines from this update:
    Bring your suncream and Sunglasses as it looks a dry, and possibly warm and bright start to the festival, There remains a risk of rain over the weekend, so still hire those wellies and a brolly just in case.

Opr

It is starting to look good on the weather front. Will wait for Wednesdays assessment, if it looks good maybe able to leave my wellies at home which would be handy as I am flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Velocity_Girl

comet wrote: »
    It is starting to look good on the weather front. Will wait for Wednesdays assessment, if it looks good maybe able to leave my wellies at home which would be handy as I am flying.

The weather is looking mighty fine at the moment! I'm flying too and still taking my wellies, wouldn't go to Glastonbury without them but that's just me!

I'd never leave the wellies again. As I said got badly burned by that in 2005 when the freak storm hit. If you are flying wear them over on the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

I checked the SeeTickets tracker a while back and it said I was to pick my tickets up there, but now when I check it it says there's no matching order on their database.

I'm pretty sure everything's ok (at least I hope so), but is there any other way of checking this out? I have no idea even where I'm supposed to go on Thursday when I get there. Is my order number and ID enough or do I need to bring anything else?

edit: just called SeeTickets, they found it and I need the reference number and card it was bought with. Phew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

I'd never leave the wellies again. As I said got badly burned by that in 2005 when the freak storm hit. If you are flying wear them over on the flight.

This. The ground would be quite soft as well as there has been a fair amount of rain around over the last couple of weeks, add in 140,000+ people and there's bound to be some mud on the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 janejjjjjjj

LeftBlank wrote: »
    This. The ground would be quite soft as well as there has been a fair amount of rain around over the last couple of weeks, add in 140,000+ people and there's bound to be some mud on the site.

According to a thread on efestivals, the ground is currently so dry it's cracking, having said that I'd never go without wellies so mine will be taken regardless.

The weather news is really switching up my packing. Personally I find extreme heat (anything over 20c) almost as bad as the rain to cope with. Currently cleaning out an old hydration pack with Milton. Also found an emergency silver tent thing I picked up at a pound shop years ago Thinking I might be able to clip it over my tent to gain a few hours in the morning.

We were completely cooked on the Sunday in 2011. We wandered like ants in a magnifying glass trying to find shelter to get some sleep in after getting about 2 hrs before the sun forced us from our tents. Ended up in Eavis' talk as a result of that and in the Glade for Correspondents who were pretty great too. My super secret get out of the Sun (don't tell anyone!) place is the circus but I reckon it could be rammed on the first few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 janejjjjjjj

My super secret get out of the Sun (don't tell anyone!) place is the circus but I reckon it could be rammed on the first few days.

Didn't you find the heat inside the tent unbearable though? I know they lift up the tent sides but still. The panel in the Cabaret tent got so over heated that they stripped off that year, first time I've seen public nudity at Glastonbury for years

• Advertisement

You missed the Eavis talk when the fully naked 70 year old woman asked him about his dedication to the lay lines so. :-D

Jumped into the circus during Paul Simon after unsuccessfully trying to brave it out on the pyramid field and it was a lot cooler. Might have just been the time of day or the contrast between out in the direct sun versus shade.

I remember in 2005 on the Thursday desperately searching for shade and the best we managed was the acoustic tent but as it wasn't officially open so they kept kicking us out. When we went back to see some groups during the actual festival it was so sweltering hot we were drenched coming out of it so I guess it is a matter of how many people are in there as well.

Advertisement