Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 hellosailor

foolelle wrote: »
    ok sure why not organise a boards meet up on the ferry...

were on the 9am Stena, rosslare to fishguard on tuesday 25th if anyone else is on that saling we should meet for a shandy!!! could even form a caravan all the way to glasto...

anyone up for that??

Im up for that!!! My self and 2 other girls are heading on the 9am Ferry too. We are heading to Bristol for the night first. We should def meet up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ruthmedjber

There's about 15 of us on the Wed 8am Stenaline if anyone else is on that! We're all driving in a convoy (with stoppages for a 99 along the way)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Will be hard to predict, but Police forces of neighbouring counties to the Avon & Somerset force are known to setup searches in the service stations along the motorways in their counties with sniffer dogs etc targeting people on the way to Glastonbury. Avoid yourself the hassle and either tie a knot in it to avoid needing a loo break, or stop long before for your rest stops or somewhere off the motorway itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Zippy1991

Totes jelly of ye all getting to meet up on the 'bortion boat!
    Any of ye in Worthy View? Can't Wait

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

robinph wrote: »
    Will be hard to predict, but Police forces of neighbouring counties to the Avon & Somerset force are known to setup searches in the service stations along the motorways in their counties with sniffer dogs etc targeting people on the way to Glastonbury. Avoid yourself the hassle and either tie a knot in it to avoid needing a loo break, or stop long before for your rest stops or somewhere off the motorway itself.

From what I heard before is to avoid using the train stations network as the DS seem to target these, not so much at the bus stations apparently.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

Anyone need a lift to Glasto from Dublin this year? We have 2 free spaces in our 9-seater van! PM me for more deets if interest. xR

Have a flight booked, but have a weight issue with Buckfast. What are the odds of putting a bag on the van? (will pay petrol and nothing illegal in bag)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

Im up for that!!! :)

SOUND!!!

Anyone else in......??

Myself and my brother are headin over, he could only get a bus combo ticket so we have to go to Swindon first for the night, bit of a pain really as I dont drive so we are trying to figure a way of him not having to go on the bus and come back to swindon to collect me, maybe i could take his place if the drivers are sound enough, anyone any experience of this?

I see from your previous posts ya were at sziget in '11 I was too, great festival, and with the weather it made it all the better...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Zippy1991 wrote: »
    Totes jelly of ye all getting to meet up on the 'bortion boat!
    Any of ye in Worthy View? Can't Wait

I had to read this about 10 times before I got what it meant. Now I'm actually a bit disgusted that I got it at all.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

There is an official app out now in the android store, or whatever it's called. It's a bit bare at the moment, but could be useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

This day 2 weeks I'll be heading off for this. Of course, no idea which bands I will get to see yet but I guess that's not really the point? :)

• Advertisement

Have a flight booked, but have a weight issue with Buckfast. What are the odds of putting a bag on the van? (will pay petrol and nothing illegal in bag)

hiya, sorry but we're not taking luggage. It just might be a bit of a nightmare getting it picked up from car park. Would prefer passengers if possible.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

harney wrote: »
    There is an official app out now in the android store, or whatever it's called. It's a bit bare at the moment, but could be useful.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.ee.Glastonbury2013

Potentially useful... but you'll be lucky to get a decent signal whilst there for data, and then you'll run out of battery.

In general phones are unreliable at Glastonbury, even text messages are dodgy for getting through to people and have been known to get lost in the ether for a day or so. Those of you roaming may actually fair better than the locals though as you'll just connect to whichever network is the strongest, whereas people on UK networks are just stuck with whatever network they are on an hope for the best.

I bought a Juice park for my phone from amazon, It charges an iphone 4 times over. Dead handy for the tent. Apparently there'll be free wifi at the recharge tents and 4g somewhere too!

Spare batteries or re-charge packs are the best solution. The recharge tents tend to have massive queues, and there are better things to be doing with your time than standing in a queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Spare batteries or re-charge packs are the best solution. The recharge tents tend to have massive queues, and there are better things to be doing with your time than standing in a queue.

Anyone have any experience using these things? I know you're not going to get much power out of a battery, but are they a complete waste of time?

Anyone have any experience using these things? I know you're not going to get much power out of a battery, but are they a complete waste of time?

It really would just be for an emergency the amount of power you'd get from one AA. You'll get through a lot of batteries over the week with keeping the phone charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

It really would just be for an emergency the amount of power you'd get from one AA. You'll get through a lot of batteries over the week with keeping the phone charged.

Yeah, but I was thinking that with roaming data turned off and switching the phone off to conserve battery, I should get a couple of days out of a charge. Then I could use one of those a couple of times to keep me going. Was planning on maybe getting a job lot of batteries in Maplins or something.

However, if it was a case of it taking hours to get a couple of percent onto my battery, it probably isn't worth it.

edit: at around €5-6, I'll probably pick one up anyway and test it out at home before I go.

I was thinking of getting a solar charger off ebay. I figured if you are sitting around all day in the sun (fingers crossed), or walking around you could have it stuck to your beer bag charging away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

Ditch the smartphones and get yourself a low feature handset. I have a Nokia X-01 which has a rated standby time of 2 weeks. I'll easily clear the festival with a single charge even with texting and some phone calls (that's ALL it does of course).

• Advertisement

Toast wrote: »
    Ditch the smartphones and get yourself a low feature handset. I have a Nokia X-01 which has a rated standby time of 2 weeks. I'll easily clear the festival with a single charge even with texting and some phone calls (that's ALL it does of course).

But how would I be able to facebook everybody to tell them what a super amazing time I was having :confused:

You clearly haven't thought this one through sir :(

:D

harney wrote: »
    But how would I be able to facebook everybody to tell them what a super amazing time I was having :confused:

You clearly haven't thought this one through sir :(

:D

You forgot about holding the phone up in the air when stood half way back in the Pyramid field in order to record some blurry video of Mick prancing about on the stage with only the noise of the people singing badly beside you able to be heard on the recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

So this is getting close, been to many festivals but this is my first Glastonbury. I'm flying to Birmingham and getting my tickets on the coach down. Anyone have any general tips?

Are wellies always a necessity? If it's going to be that muddy, would waterproof boots be a better option on the feet considering I'd be wearing them for 4 days and doing a lot of walking?

Is there any camping stuff that'd be cheaper to buy over there rather than bring on the plane? I'm going to buy a chair there, but is there anything else that I could sacrifice. Thanks :)

The best tip I can give is don't worry too much if you miss some bands. The place is so massive that stage hoping is just not possible and you'll tire yourself out. Be happy to go to an area and spend a few hours there and take in whatever is going on nearby before moving on. Plan what you want to see around that idea and you'll be grand.

Also I'd say bring wellies. If the mud gets bad enough that you need them you won't get any on site without a 3 hr queue and an over the top price tag. Some people swear by boots but I've seen mud shin deep in Glastonbury which will flood boots. Hopefully there'll be no rain and you won't need either but a general good idea is to wear wellies over so you're ready for anything on site and you can downgrade to something more comfortable depending on the conditions that meet you. Also means they aren't in your bag taking up weight.

Nothing is cheaper in Glastonbury. In general you'll pay the same non sale price for camping gear that you would here except it'll be in Sterling. Millets have a stand as do these guys (who let you preorder so you'll get an idea of the prices). Up to you if you think it will be worth the extra really. Not having a tent to lug all the way can be a life saver.

Wellies might not be the most comfortable thing to wear for several days, but if it is wet you'll be glad to have them and as Toast said walking boots just won't cut it when it gets deep.

Mumford and Sons have canceled upcoming tour dates as bassist undergoes emergency brain surgery. I don't know how it will effect if they play Glastonbury or another headliner is drafted in. They're not my cup of tea so wouldn't mind the latter.

Obviously the main thing is that the guy is OK. Wish him the best and hope he has a speedy recovery.

http://entertainment.ie/music/news/Mumford-and-Sons-cancel-tour-dates-as-bassist-undergoes-emergency-brain-surgery/192587.htm

Opr

Apparently Bonaroo have confirmed they will play at the weekend so doesn't look like there is any chance they'll cancel Glastonbury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Any idea of how much a taxi from Bristol airport to the festival costs these days?

I think in 2011 we paid £10 each (£60 total) between six of us for a Taxi that we just hailed at Bristol Airport. That included a detour to stop at Wells Tesco on the way to stock up on booze.

The thread below has a couple of local taxi driver numbers in the last post that you can ring and pre-book one if you want which will probably work out a little cheaper.

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/172711-taxi-from-bristol-airport-to-the-site/

Another link - http://www.bristolairportminibus.co.uk/bristol-to-glastonbury-festival-minibus-transfers.html

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 hellosailor

foolelle wrote: »
    SOUND!!!

Anyone else in......??

Myself and my brother are headin over, he could only get a bus combo ticket so we have to go to Swindon first for the night, bit of a pain really as I dont drive so we are trying to figure a way of him not having to go on the bus and come back to swindon to collect me, maybe i could take his place if the drivers are sound enough, anyone any experience of this?

I see from your previous posts ya were at sziget in '11 I was too, great festival, and with the weather it made it all the better...

Sziget was unreal! Would love to go back again but I want to head to as many different festivals around the globe as I can fit in till I get too old (if thats possible)

This time 2 weeks we will be lookin for a spot to pitch our tent! whoohooooo :D

Advertisement