Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism+, wtf?!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Isn't every woman a potential rapist too, regarding Schroedinger's Rapist?

Isn't telling women they should live in fear the very anthesis of what they advocate in general?

Safe space on A+ seems to really mean victim space.

Well actually that isn't what the point SR is making, it is saying that women set their own threat level and that you don't get to tell them how they should react to your advances because you know you aren't going to attack or rape them. SR didn't originate on Atheism+, though it is discussed alot

And yeah don't get me started on what "safe space" means on A+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Seriously, you want anything done on boards, just get Beru a bottle of Blue Nun. Like catnip, so it is.

Sounds familiar. I'm a wolf-blas girl myself though. All donations gratefully received: I'm a one-woman riot in a china shop when I'm paid well enough. P.O.box number on request........Not so hot on boards, but handy with large-scale destruction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Seriously, you want anything done on boards, just get Beru a bottle of Blue Nun. Like catnip, so it is.
    Hmm i do need something done on boards *prepares bribe*

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Welcome to this safe place... BUT BE VERY AFRAID!!!!

1bodysnatchers.jpg

....OF EVERYTHING!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭decimatio

Latest nonsense report.

Someone of FtB posted that Matt should apologise. Some people including mods from A+ commented on it, some accusing matt of damage to the community, dishonesty etc. Matt responded and seems to be losing his patience. Mod asked him to meet them halfway i.e. apologise. Matt refused as he believes he was the one wronged.

In other news Al Stefanelli, a blogger on FtB posted an opinion piece about A+. He made some points such as he doesnt wanna be called a potential rapist and he wouldn't change his behaviour based on how others might be affected as well as some other stuff. A+'ers came in and attacked him for been privileged etc. Now he's leaving FtB, his own decision. Don't know why.

In other news I went to the A+ forum and annoyed myself by reading a thread where most posters claim 'black' or asian people can't be racist, only 'whites' can be. They seemingly don't have access to a dictionary as they redefine racism to mean institutionalised racism. I assume most of them have ever ventured outside the borders of the states so perhaps from an american-centric position they might have a shadow of a point, i.e. that 'blacks' and 'asians' aren't seen as racist.

* the reason I put black and white in apostrophes is that I think they are meaningless identifiers in terms of groups or races. Asian is a very general but meaningful identifer. I don't like it either but it's better than the other two.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

decimatio wrote: »
    Latest nonsense report.

Someone of FtB posted that Matt should apologise. Some people including mods from A+ commented on it, some accusing matt of damage to the community, dishonesty etc. Matt responded and seems to be losing his patience. Mod asked him to meet them halfway i.e. apologise. Matt refused as he believes he was the one wronged.

In other news Al Stefanelli, a blogger on FtB posted an opinion piece about A+. He made some points such as he doesnt wanna be called a potential rapist and he wouldn't change his behaviour based on how others might be affected as well as some other stuff. A+'ers came in and attacked him for been privileged etc. Now he's leaving FtB, his own decision. Don't know why.

In other news I went to the A+ forum and annoyed myself by reading a thread where most posters claim 'black' or asian people can't be racist, only 'whites' can be. They seemingly don't have access to a dictionary as they redefine racism to mean institutionalised racism. I assume most of them have ever ventured outside the borders of the states so perhaps from an american-centric position they might have a shadow of a point, i.e. that 'blacks' and 'asians' aren't seen as racist.

* the reason I put black and white in apostrophes is that I think they are meaningless identifiers in terms of groups or races. Asian is a very general but meaningful identifer. I don't like it either but it's better than the other two.

If you don't want to watch the whole thing the last minute or so summarises it.

Probably most people here don't know Dillahunty but he'd be extremely active in American atheist circles, hosting podcasts, tv programs, and talking at plenty of conventions. He's stated many times he agrees and supports A+ before this.

I genuinely believe they're self destructing and they don't realise it yet at this point. Only white people can be racist? Visit Barbados or South Africa and leave your "priviledged" area and come back to me on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Latest nonsense report.

GTF, are they really saying that!?!?!? Send 'em over here for a while, I'll walk three steps behind them as they walk down the street and I'll tell them what the locals are saying about them.

pauldla wrote: »
    GTF, are they really saying that!?!?!? Send 'em over here for a while, I'll walk three steps behind them as they walk down the street and I'll tell them what the locals are saying about them.

I'm sure! Btw, what does GTF stand for? I've come up with "G'way ta f**k". Close?

Obliq wrote: »
    I'm sure! Btw, what does GTF stand for? I've come up with "G'way ta f**k". Close?

Got it in one. Do you think it'll catch on? :)

Got it in one. Do you think it'll catch on? :)

Already in constant use here in the West pauldla! I love it - SO Irish it's incomprehensible any other place ;) Goin to use GTF myself for sure - might take off eh?!

• Advertisement

Obliq wrote: »
    Already in constant use here in the West pauldla! I love it - SO Irish it's incomprehensible any other place ;) Goin to use GTF myself for sure - might take off eh?!

:D

I like Billy Connolly's rendering of it: "Gehteefah", a small bunch of pink flowers. Best said with a strong Glasgow accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

So the Peoples Republic of China, Burma/Myanamar, Thailand and I suppose everywhere outside of Whiteville can't be institutionally racist....This is amazing news, particularily for the minorities in those countries who were under the sad delusion they were getting a hard time of it, being given hastle on forums, feeling unsafe on-line and being bombed, shot and targeted by rape squads. They should tweet them on the twitter machine.

Nodin wrote: »
    So the Peoples Republic of China, Burma/Myanamar, Thailand and I suppose everywhere outside of Whiteville can't be institutionally racist....This is amazing news, particularily for the minorities in those countries who were under the sad delusion they were getting a hard time of it, being given hastle on forums, feeling unsafe on-line and being bombed, shot and targeted by rape squads. They should tweet them on the twitter machine.

No institutionalised racism in the PRC! I can vouch for that. No problems with that at all. The biggest Communist party in the world, and in my opinion, the best!

No institutionalised racism in the PRC! I can vouch for that. No problems with that at all. The biggest Communist party in the world, and in my opinion, the best!

The Glorious Chinese People are indeed Glorious.

A great bunch of lads.

A great bunch of lads.

So big, it can be seen from anywhere in the world.

Right, no more Fr Ted quotes from me.

Back on topic, I finally had a look at the Atheism+ website, after dipping into this thread for the past few weeks.

My conclusion is the same as the title of this thread. OP, I should have listened to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭decimatio

The horde has partially turned on PZ Myers

Ok, I'm officially in the "watching the slow car crash" gang now.

Although to be fair, I couldn't see anything on A+ about it deriding him, just the comments.

The horde has partially turned on PZ Myers

They have also turned against Natalie Reed, one of the nicest people you can imagine (the worst Phawrongula could come up with about her was that her blog posts were too long :p) because she made a negative comment about Atheism+ focusing logos and style on Twitter

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2003
    http://twitter.com/nataliereed84

Done with the whole thing, embarrassed I was a part of it, half the threads are now taken up with who can be the most angry at who for the most innocuous things, while real issues (in the real world) such as bullying on Facebook, the Reddit "jailbait" areas and rape in the US Army are largely ignored beyond the odd denouncement. (2 replies to a thread about rape in the army, 54 about Reed)

A lot of criticism of A+ is unfair or ill informed, and I've defended it from some of this, so I'm hardly a hating troll. I gave it a go, I really did but the vitriol on the Reed thread really was the end of it, coming after a ton of vitriol directed at me and others over things like victim blaming being used as a way to shut down discussion and the notion that men don't have anything to worry about in terms of violence and assault.

The thing A+ is used for most, be that on purpose or just how it ended up, is simply to complain about other people on the Internet. That is not a worth while goal, and isn't the goal for many of the users there. But like a lot of these things the people who shout the most have taken over.

Which of course is fine, if they want to do that knock yourselves out. The vitrol directed at them is as bad as what they do (BlagHag has about 20 blog posts complaining about her and seems to receive a ton of abuse via Twitter every day)

Which is sort of the point, this whole thing is missing the wood for the trees, on both sides. Life is for living and enjoying. The point of supporting people who are persecuted or oppressed or abused is to help them also get to the point where they can live and enjoy life.

But the focus over the whole thing has become blame. Who can we blame, we have to blame people we have to make the oppressors as miserable as we are!

The goal should be make the underprivileged feel as safe, happy, secure and free as the privileged. A+ goal, and the goal of many who criticize it with such venom (talking about the hate stuff, not things like this thread) seems to be make everyone else as miserable as the underprivileged.

Two sides of the same equality coin I guess ...:rolleyes:

Just in the interests of full disclosure, particularly for those who don't remember when I used that handle here, I'm "Wicknight" on the Atheism+ forums. I won't be going back there, unless I get really really really bored (which is possible, I'm unfortunately quite sick at the moment with a lot of free time, but then I've installed Counter Strike GO so that should keep me busy :))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Zombrex wrote: »
    They have also turned against Natalie Reed, one of the nicest people you can imagine (the worst Phawrongula could come up with about her was that her blog posts were too long :p) because she made a negative comment about Atheism+ focusing logos and style on Twitter

Natalie is one extremely intelligent woman, we participate on some of the same forums and it's ridiculous she's getting any sort of negativity at all. I've been watching with wide-eyes the sort of nonsense train-wreck this Atheism+ thing is, and I try to keep my mouth shut on the issue, because I don't really know what to say about it, but I think where it's all coming from is Reddit style SRS (or, Sh*tRedditSays) style "social justice".

Now, I've been using Reddit for quite a while, but on the whole I can't stand how SRS operates because I find they just bash or bully those who disagree with them. It is just a big circle-jerk, and I think that they abuse a lot of things like the concept of a "safe space". Like for example, if we have an LGBT forum, it's generally a good idea for that forum to be safe for people to talk about sensitive personal issues without having to put up with homophobic posters, hence it's safe for LGBT posters to talk about their issues. On boards, The Ladies Lounge can be a great example of this, and the mods do a good job there.

I think something that really illustrates my point well, is this fantastic piece on Hyperbole and a Half: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.ie/2010/02/please-stop.html

Replace "PLEASE STOP!" with any of the Atheism+ buzzwords, and you can see how these terms (however well-meaning) are being exploitd. One example I could give is my girlfriend, who will stop discussing things with anyone if they use the world privilege, either calling her privileged, or saying "check your privilege" because she considers it nothing more than a derailing tacting and that's the cut-off point in any discussion for her. Sort of like a personal godwin's law.

People actually say "check your privilege" in a conversation IRL?

Nodin wrote: »
    People actually say "check your privilege" in a conversation IRL?

It's actually used in the video posted by decimato above!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Rheo

Zombrex wrote: »
    Just in the interests of full disclosure, particularly for those who don't remember when I used that handle here, I'm "Wicknight" on the Atheism+ forums. I won't be going back there, unless I get really really really bored (which is possible, I'm unfortunately quite sick at the moment with a lot of free time, but then I've installed Counter Strike GO so that should keep me busy :))

Well, you can't go back for at least a week anyway.
    Your 'good faith' has expired :pac:

Get well soon, Zombrex. I'd say go for it with the CS, and less of the A+ :)

Rheo wrote: »

:P

Just saw that. Saying asking for a street light to be put up is not victim blaming is apparently victim blaming. Lol

Well they can't fire me, I quit (you can't quit we are firing you!) :pac:

I heard zombrex isn't welcome back til he apologises for Matt Dillahunty.

It's actually used in the video posted by decimato above!

...no, "IRL" as in 'face to face'.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Rheo wrote: »

What does that mean? Did they unban him to see how he gets on?

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    What does that mean? Did they unban him to see how he gets on?

Since Dillahuntageddon they've instituted a rule where new posters should be taken by moderators- and moderators alone- on good faith for a grace period.

After which you get banned for pretty much anything.

Advertisement