Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism+, wtf?!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Does anyone else think that some of the guys on threads like that are trying for the most impressive pick-ups ever? :pac:

Honestly? I wouldn't be suprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Does anyone else think that some of the guys on threads like that are trying for the most impressive pick-ups ever? :pac:

I know when I'm out on the pull I always refer to myself as a rapist of some description...

Galvasean wrote: »
    I know when I'm out on the pull I always refer to myself as a rapist of some description...
    That's the point, it's no fun when there's no challenge :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

All I see when I look at A+ now.

618px-Whiteknight.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I've avoided looking at or even acknowledging this whole thing but after reading that thread, whats this SR thing they're banging on about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

I've avoided looking at or even acknowledging this whole thing but after reading that thread, whats this SR thing they're banging on about?
    Schroedinger's Rapist.

Don't ask

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

I think SR stands for Schrodingers Rapist.

edit: equivariant beat me to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Seriously? :( Alright, keeping well away. First instinct was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Just googled that term. 'the hell?!

Isn't every woman a potential rapist too, regarding Schroedinger's Rapist?

Isn't telling women they should live in fear the very anthesis of what they advocate in general?

Safe space on A+ seems to really mean victim space.

• Advertisement

Isn't every woman a potential rapist too, regarding Schroedinger's Rapist?.

No because all men want sex all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭decimatio

Isn't every woman a potential rapist too, regarding Schroedinger's Rapist?

Yes some of them at least have said as much but they seem to think it's a matter of percentages in that men r far far more likely to be rapists than women. (I don't know for sure but afaik that's correct isn't it?)

But also I don't think that's what they say the point of SR is. They say it's about how people (men) should alter their behaviour to make people (women) feel more comfortable in certain situations such as walking down a street at night. The whole thing is about making people 'feel' safer not about claiming all men are potential rapists, that's just a part of the formula.

Which I think is utterly ridiculous. I'm not going to spend my life worrying that my perfectly normal actions (walking down a street on the same side as a women) is going to upset her or make her feel unsafe. I'm sorry if it does but that's not my problem and it's not reasonable to think I shoukd change my behaviour for such reasons.
    Safe space on A+ seems to really mean victim space.

It seems to me to be some.sort of MMORPG where the objective is to out-victimise or under-privilegeise or out-PC the other players.

The funniest thing is what they define as privilege. White, male, hetrosexual is the top. Whute female heteo is next etc.

But they only seem concerned with dealibg with the white male hetro privilege and not anything below it.

decimatio wrote: »
    But also I don't think that's what they say the point of SR is. They say it's about how people (men) should alter their behaviour to make people (women) feel more comfortable in certain situations such as walking down a street at night. The whole thing is about making people 'feel' safer not about claiming all men are potential rapists, that's just a part of the formula.

Which I think is utterly ridiculous. I'm not going to spend my life worrying that my perfectly normal actions (walking down a street on the same side as a women) is going to upset her or make her feel unsafe. I'm sorry if it does but that's not my problem and it's not reasonable to think I shoukd change my behaviour for such reasons.

And surely if all us non-so far-rapists all did alter our behaviour then the soon-to-be-rapists would just do the same and we'd end up back at square one except that we weren't allowed on the same side of the road as women after sundown and women would be scared whichever side of the road any man is on?

Yes some of them at least have said as much but they seem to think it's a matter of percentages in that men r far far more likely to be rapists than women. (I don't know for sure but afaik that's correct isn't it?)

I know it's not you saying it, but surely this is a ridiculous argument when you're invoking schroedinger?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭decimatio

I know it's not you saying it, but surely this is a ridiculous argument when you're invoking schroedinger?

Alas my dear doctor, for that statement assumes that they actually understand Schroedinger's cat, or logic, or reason. Which I don't believe the writer of SR does.

It's the same utter nonsense that comes about from claiming to support equality but actually supporting something like affirmitive action which is disadvantaging one (privileged) group to prop up another.

It always reminds me of Orwell, "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

If you support equality than gender, race, sexual orientation etc should be ignored. Instead they are emphasised.

* This of course is dependent on whether or not I'm correct about the percentile argument. I'm sure I read it like that but my patience for the A+ forums is so short I may have misunderstood or the persons post I read may not reflect the majority view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

It's correct. We're also statistically more likely to be rape victims than women. (They don't call them pmita prisons for nothing.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

mikhail wrote: »
    It's correct. We're also statistically more likely to be rape victims than women. (They don't call them pmita prisons for nothing.)

Presumably this accounts for the schrodinger - rapist theory? Lock a man with another man and woman in a box and when the box is closed, they are all potential rapists and victims at the same time, until you observe what is actually going on? Doesn't account for the more likely potential for them all sitting on the floor, starving of course, but hypothetically........
    I feel unsafe now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

It's a wonder these women venture outside the house at all with all these potential rapists around. I googled the term Schroedinger's Rapist and came up with this as the first result. It's mad stuff.

Now, I'm not a woman so I can't know, but is this how women actually think all the time? Do all women evaluate every man they meet on a scale of 1 to Rapist?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

fitz0 wrote: »
    It's a wonder these women venture outside the house at all with all these potential rapists around. I googled the term Schroedinger's Rapist and came up with this as the first result. It's mad stuff.

Now, I'm not a woman so I can't know, but is this how women actually think all the time? Do all women evaluate every man they meet on a scale of 1 to Rapist?

No

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Do all women evaluate every man they meet on a scale of 1 to Rapist?

I don't believe I've even done it once.

• Advertisement

Never. And I've been raped, 20 years ago. It doesn't follow that if I had thought every man I met had that potential, that I'd have managed to avoid the sexual assault that I experienced either. Also, I wouldn't have experienced so many wonderful friendships/relationships with men.
    But, adding to that, I have met men that I thought had that potential - menacing and overbearing, leering and offering to walk young women home from the bar. Scary ones. Doesn't mean I even think of rating all men in that way - just that the thought crosses your mind when you meet a particular kind of man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I know a woman who asks to be raped every now and again, but she assures me there's a safeword involved so it's all grand.

:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Sarky wrote: »
    I know a woman who asks to be raped every now and again, but she assures me there's a safeword involved so it's all grand.
    Beruthiel wrote: »

I'm not sure ruthie likes you announcing it in public, sarky...

Well I didn't like it when she grabbed my ass at my first ever Boards Beers! I felt unsafe! :pac:

LOL
    STFU Sarky!
    bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm not sure ruthie likes you announcing it in public, sarky...

:eek:

I know where you are on Saturday night and it's only a few miles from my gaf....!
    I'm not beyond crashing a party.

Promises, promises :cool:

Just put a bottle of Blue Nun on the doorstep.

Sarky wrote: »
    Just put a bottle of Blue Nun on the doorstep.

Tell me that actually happened ?!

• Advertisement

Obliq wrote: »
    Tell me that actually happened ?!

Seriously, you want anything done on boards, just get Beru a bottle of Blue Nun. Like catnip, so it is.

Advertisement