Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Maybe Red King means Tom Tailor which was next to Schuh?

I love Ted Baker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Not surprised camicie or tom tailor are gone. Camicie only sold shirts, very similar shirts in about 40 million different colors. And Tom tailor was poor enough IMO.

vkid wrote: »
    Not surprised camicie or tom tailor are gone. Camicie only sold shirts, very similar shirts in about 40 million different colors. And Tom tailor was poor enough IMO.

Not the nicest of shirts either, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Have Camicie closed down? Thought I heard someone saying they were just moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Bored_lad wrote: »
    The Ted Baker from Brown Thomas is hardly gone already is it?
    Maybe Red King means Tom Tailor which was next to Schuh?

I love Ted Baker.

Sorry yes Tom Tailor, not Ted Baker.
    Have Camicie closed down? Thought I heard someone saying they were just moving.

Well if they are moving they sure as hell are taking their time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

I miss Tom Tailor. It being a german company their XXL clothes were for tall people rather than short fat people.

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

Not sure if it's been said already but is Toys R Us seriously gone? After what, two months? Three?

It closed in February after 4 months. See Limerock Businesses Closed thread.

What a disaster. Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭goochy

There store in dublin closed too so nothing to do with lk!

Oh good. That's something at least. Still though very disappointing that it would choose to open in Limerick and close within months.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Toys R Us were a franchise here.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭crusha101

Any one know what they are doing in the docks ? , saw some movement and minor works taking place at the entrance opposites dolans, Place needs a face lift big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Seem to be modernising the Entrance Gates.

I know this will probably never materialize and im sure this has been discussed already but what do ye think of a simple luas line running from ul to town then to the crescent and back ? i think it would completely change the dynamic of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

crusha101 wrote: »
    I know this will probably never materialize and im sure this has been discussed already but what do ye think of a simple luas line running from ul to town then to the crescent and back ? i think it would completely change the dynamic of the city.

It could work if we had the population to support that kind of infrastructural project, but right now it's not feasible.

There's talk lately from a few fairly eminent people that Limerick can and should be developed as Ireland's second city. In this context a light rail is obviously realistic.

http://www.thejournal.ie/limerick-city-dublin-2-2723719-Apr2016/

Ya I was trying to post an article yesterday published by yahoo outlining why limerick should be Ireland's second city but was unable to as I am a new user and don't have permission to post links,

I think within a few years we will definitely have the student population to support a basic luas like operation once there is something in the city which will encourage students in to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

With the way things are progressing it might be something that is eventually looked at but I don't think it will materialize any time in my generation! Hopefully I am wrong as I am a big believer that a decent public transport system would have an extremely positive effect on reducing the number of cars in the city.

The thing that really frustrates me regarding the 'Smarter Travel' city is that most of the focus seems to be on getting people on bikes and not on to buses. Bikes are ideal but we don't exactly have the weather to be concentrating on getting people to cycle when they will go back to their cars once the weather deteriorates.
    zulutango wrote: »
    It could work if we had the population to support that kind of infrastructural project, but right now it's not feasible.

There's talk lately from a few fairly eminent people that Limerick can and should be developed as Ireland's second city. In this context a light rail is obviously realistic.

Limericks population is too small for such a project in an Irish city due to the cost but similar tram systems do operate in similar and smaller sized European cities. This frustrates me as during the 'boom' so much money was spent on improving the road network (Which needed to be done, don't get me wrong) but now they are trying to reduce the number of cars on the road and increase the volume of people using public transport. If they had concentrated on the latter a bit more in the 'boom' years it would be an easier transition for people now IMO.
    Ya I was trying to post an article yesterday published by yahoo outlining why limerick should be Ireland's second city but was unable to as I am a new user and don't have permission to post links,

I think within a few years we will definitely have the student population to support a basic luas like operation once there is something in the city which will encourage students in to it.

I read that article myself, it makes sense to have Limerick as the second city due to its location between Cork and Galway but I'd imagine the Cork population and politicians would do their utmost to stop this. Dublin is manic at the moment and some long term thinking needs to be done to help relieve the overcrowding up there.

Public transport? Light rail? Away with you! The council have more important things to focus on like building bridges that nobody wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Would a light rail even fit in limerick, I've never used the luas or being in Dublin City centre long enough to notice the luas but the streets of limerick seem to be a lot smaller then Dublin to squeeze a light rail on to.

Would a light rail even fit in limerick, I've never used the luas or being in Dublin City centre long enough to notice the luas but the streets of limerick seem to be a lot smaller then Dublin to squeeze a light rail on to.

I'd imagine it would but if it was going on the existing roads some would need to be car free and others possibly widened or reduced to one ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭timesnewroman

Sur there is already a rail line that dissects the city (Mungret - Crescent SC - Parkway SC - Rhebogue - Corbally - Moyross) that isn't being used. There's another line running to Foynes from Colbert Station that runs parallel to the M20 (towards the back of the industrial estate in Raheen).

I've no idea what state of (dis)repair those lines are in, but would surely cost less to get them operational than create a new Luas style network.

The revival of these lines has been spoken about plenty of times before, but this being Limerick, sod all has happened.

A decent bus service would eliminate the need for a light rail system. Tbh, the 304 is (slowly) getting better.

A decent bus service would eliminate the need for a light rail system. Tbh, the 304 is (slowly) getting better.

Ya it's been improving with the introduction of the double decker bus aswell but its a 30-40 minute commute to get into town from UL from the hours of 2-6 , it's the speed aspect of a luas like system which appeals to me, the 304 is slowly getting more and more expensive too

I passed the same bus around 4 times one evening a couple of weeks ago, I was driving in from the South Court towards town at around 6pm.

The bus was in the bus lane which you'd imagine would speed up the service with the lack of traffic but between the South Court and the Crescent I had passed the bus around 4 times and traffic was pretty heavy in the regular lane. It was the number of stops in a relatively short stretch that had the bus stopping so much. If their was an express bus stopping at main stops on the busy routes at peak times it would speed up the service. From the South Court and the hospital there are 4 stops in 1km!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Big_Evil

Sur there is already a rail line that dissects the city (Mungret - Crescent SC - Parkway SC - Rhebogue - Corbally - Moyross) that isn't being used. There's another line running to Foynes from Colbert Station that runs parallel to the M20 (towards the back of the industrial estate in Raheen).

I've no idea what state of (dis)repair those lines are in, but would surely cost less to get them operational than create a new Luas style network.

The revival of these lines has been spoken about plenty of times before, but this being Limerick, sod all has happened.

Snap! The condition of the line isnt too bad, but would require rebedding. Also, its only a single line so no two-way train traffic. However, the locations these lines pass makes it ideal for a light rail system. For example, it could conceivably serve from Patrickswell all the way to town, with a stop in Raheen and Dooradoyle along the way.

While there is not really a dire need for it at present, a bit of future proofing is required, i.e. keeping the current infrastructure in reasonable nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭cgcsb

zulutango wrote: »

Innsbruck, Tyrol, Austria population 120,000, 4 electrified suburban rail routes(in a similar layout to Limericks existing surrounding railways), 3 tram routes and BRT is the standard form of bus transport.

And Innsbruck is not at all densely settled, the suburbs are almost entirely detatched alpine style houses.

Innsbruck is also not exceptional, this is an average Limerick sized City in Western Europe, you'll find similar in Spain or Denmark for example.

The reason Ireland does not have nice things is not because we are small, rather because we are small minded and elect same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

cgcsb wrote: »
    Innsbruck, Tyrol, Austria population 120,000, 4 electrified suburban rail routes(in a similar layout to Limericks existing surrounding railways), 3 tram routes and BRT is the standard form of bus transport.

And Innsbruck is not at all densely settled, the suburbs are almost entirely detatched alpine style houses.

Innsbruck is also not exceptional, this is an average Limerick sized City in Western Europe, you'll find similar in Spain or Denmark for example.

The reason Ireland does not have nice things is not because we are small, rather because we are small minded and elect same.

Innsbruck is a major tourist destination, Limerick isn't. It has a 25K larger population and over a million tourists a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Big_Evil wrote: »
    Snap! The condition of the line isnt too bad, but would require rebedding. Also, its only a single line so no two-way train traffic. However, the locations these lines pass makes it ideal for a light rail system. For example, it could conceivably serve from Patrickswell all the way to town, with a stop in Raheen and Dooradoyle along the way.

While there is not really a dire need for it at present, a bit of future proofing is required, i.e. keeping the current infrastructure in reasonable nick.

The line is two way from the station out past the Rosbrien Level crossing. It splits just after, one line goes to the cement factory (goes past Kilteragh and the shopping centre) and one to Foynes. The Foynes line would be the one that goes past the back of Raheen Industrial Estate.

Advertisement