Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you put your seat back on flights?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

It must be nice to have so much money that paying an extra €200 is only "slightly more expensive" :P

Some of us just don't have extra hundreds to be throwing around :(

Well I don't travel too much, but when I do I'ld like to be a bit comfortable and I wouldn't mind paying an extra hunderd quid for a more comfortable journey... Still can't afford business class like... forget first class, that's just a mythical part of the airline!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

I'm tall and I don't recline because I don't like it when someone in front of me does it. I don't believe anyone can properly sleep on a plane; by their very nature, airplane seats simply do not allow for the necessary space and comfort one requires to sleep and reclining your chair isn't going to make a difference. If you're going to take something, you will be unconscious, which isn't the same as sleep and the quality of your unconsciousness will not be augmented by dropping your chair back, so it really is a pointless exercise unless your goal in life is to be inconsiderate. If you want to sleep on a plane, pay for business class.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Krooger

Never flown with Delta... Are the premium economy fares much more expensive than the normal fares?

More airlines should do this... I can never sleep on planes cuz I find the seats a bit too upright and I can't extend my legs properly...

It's usually around €60 per seat to upgrade with them if I'm not mistaken!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I always put it back - It must be an Irish thing that it's not okay to put it back because they're they only ones to complain about it. And if someone does bang on my seat or tells me to move it I just either ignore them or tell them no.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

But you don't really.

You just sit there quietly getting yourself into a bundle of rage over something trivial while visualising what you would do if you were more of a man, despite it being entirely wrong, and then you leave the plane in a huff and go tell your friends what you supposedly did in an effort to make yourself look both hard and interesting.

Now you're here lying to strangers in order to pander to, what honestly is, a permanently deflated ego.

Sad.

And you never put your seat back because you'd be too afraid of what the big bad man behind you would do.

You just sit there quietly getting yourself all worried and visualising the comfort of putting your seat back if you were man enough to do it, despite it being moronic. Then, on arriving at your destination, you'd go tell all your friends that you put your seat back and you didn't care that the guy behind you was annoyed because you're a mad bastard and nothing gets in your way!

Now you've been talking absolute sh*te to strangers on an internet forum in an attempt to look smart and put other people down.

Sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

...yeah, it was done. And his version was better.
    Your's just looks petty.

Kind of like an "I know you are, but what am I?" type response.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

doolox wrote: »
    ....is that the seats do not recline so that no object can invade my space by reclining their seat into MY space which I have paid for.

You've paid for the seat, not the space.

They could vacuum pack someone on top of you if they wanted, provided your arse had something underneath it.

I recline if I need to. But I go over it with the person who's behind me first. Is it *that* hard to ask instead of just assuming that only assholes push back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I'm tall and I don't recline because I don't like it when someone in front of me does it. I don't believe anyone can properly sleep on a plane; by their very nature, airplane seats simply do not allow for the necessary space and comfort one requires to sleep and reclining your chair isn't going to make a difference. If you're going to take something, you will be unconscious, which isn't the same as sleep and the quality of your unconsciousness will not be augmented by dropping your chair back, so it really is a pointless exercise unless your goal in life is to be inconsiderate. If you want to sleep on a plane, pay for business class.

Reclining allows your head to rest on the headrest.

Were you not to recline, your head would be lolling around cramping your neck and making it impossible and mightily uncomfortable to sleep.

Is the reclined position ideal? nope.
    Is it better than the alternative? yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I recline because I paid for my seat and that's a function of it. Makes my long haul flight more comfortable and that's all that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

I recline on long-hauls. Don't bother on short-hauls. Try flying to New Zealand in the upright position. If you don't like it ask to be moved. Some laugh from you lot who jam your knees in though.

Only once has anyone complained about me reclining a seat on a long haul - it was a sour-faced old bat at about 5 foot 2 and she was told where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Am I the only one who considers the upright position more comfortable than the reclined position?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

steve9859 wrote: »
    I would, and have, constantly hit the seat in front and pushed it back until they have turned around to ask what the h*ll I am doing. So I tell them, and either they stop or a fligh attendant moves me. Simples and a win win for me.....at 6 foot 5 and 16+ stone the cabin crew aren't going to give out as you're clearly in an inadequate space

next time, instead of abusing the person in front - just ask to be moved - less drama all round. and if you are as big as you say, you should have the common sense to book the front row. Spare a thought for the person sitting BESIDE you. but, it seems to be all about you. :roll eyes:

you would need to be more careful about what you are doing to fellow passengers on planes my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I generally don't recline - and I hate the invasion of personal space. The legroom factor doesn't even come into it as I'm only 5", but I really hate when that headrest comes backwards into my face.

The other problem is that I can't comfortably use my laptop when someone reclines. I can fly up to 100+ times a year (mainly for work) and I generally will have my laptop out and working. When someone reclines, it takes away the space for your laptop lid to open up.

The only time I ever recline is on nighttime flights, and even then, it's only the bare 2 inches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

love the pole options. reminds me of something peta would sat

option a: yes i love cute animals
    option b: i hate cute animals and want to shove needles into their eyes

I recline if I need to. But I go over it with the person who's behind me first. Is it *that* hard to ask instead of just assuming that only assholes push back?

The person behind might say no so why take that risk, the trick is to slowly put it back an inch, then 15 minutes later put it back another inch and so on and the person behind wont really notice.

The way to beat the person using their knees to stop the movement is to place your feet tightly under the seat in front usually a metal bar, then use the head rest in front as leverage by placing your hands on it, then with your body weight and arm strength force your seat back, the person behind may try to also force your seat forward so the trick is to lock you seat after every trust back then release and do another trust/ lock.

At this point somebody may say something to you, most people wont but there will be one or 2 heroes that have something to say. Put in some head phones and just ignore them, the may also tap you on the shoulder or bang your seat but still ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Oranage2 wrote: »
    The person behind might say no so why take that risk, the trick is to slowly put it back an inch, then 15 minutes later put it back another inch and so on and the person behind wont really notice.

The way to beat the person using their knees to stop the movement is to place your feet tightly under the seat in front usually a metal bar, then use the head rest in front as leverage by placing your hands on it, then with your body weight and arm strength force your seat back, the person behind may try to also force your seat forward so the trick is to lock you seat after every trust back then release and do another trust/ lock.

At this point somebody may say something to you, most people wont but there will be one or 2 heroes that have something to say. Put in some head phones and just ignore them, the may also tap you on the shoulder or bang your seat but still ignore them.

How considerate of you.
    At 6 ' 2" I have no leg room starting off so if the seat in front reclines my legs are actually trapped. Its not a question of being hero, I have no choice but to complain before the blood supply stops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

No, I take it with me as a souvenir.

How considerate of you.
    At 6 ' 2" I have no leg room starting off so if the seat in front reclines my legs are actually trapped. Its not a question of being hero, I have no choice but to complain before the blood supply stops.

I'm 6'0 and dont have any problems, I'm not sure what airlines people fly but I think the leg room issue is slightly exaggerated.

there are three ways of looking at this.

1. You are 6ft 5inches or whatever - you are booking your seat on the plane - you think "I know that I may be uncomfortable in my seat if the person in front of me wants to recline - but hell, I'm gonna book that seat anyway, and if he DARES upset MY COMFORT I'm gonna mess with him so much that he will regret it.

2. You are 6 ft 5 inches or whatever - you are booking your seat on the plane - you think " I know that I may be uncomfortable in my seat if the person in front of me wants to recline - hell, maybe I should consider booking a seat by a door with more legroom or a more suitable seat for me and my long legs.

3. You are 6 ft 5 inches or whatever - you are booking your seat on the plane - you think " I know that I may be uncomfortable in my seat if the person in front of me wants to recline - hell, I'll just have to put up with it. He paid just as much for his ticket as mine - he's entitled to recline - guess I better suck it up.

Pleasae stop blaming other people for your own "discomfort". If you are uncomfortable, move seats. Simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

I do. That's what the recline feature is for. And when it comes to silly bugger games like knees in the back, I can play them too. Before popping to the loo, push the seat back up. Then when sitting back down, sit back as fast and as hard as possible. Maybe knock a drink off their tray or something....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I think people who have such a problem with this need to sort out their emotions or something like that. Its sad to think that somebody could get so upset over somebody moving a tiny few inches back into your space, which you also have the right to do.
    You would swear it knocks all your food over, and slams against your knee's squashing you for the entire flight, when in reality it does none of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Then when sitting back down, sit back as fast and as hard as possible. Maybe knock a drink off their tray or something....
    Yeah, you don't do this either. So many hard men on this thread for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

How considerate of you.

I'm also 6'2" and don't experience what you describe above on Aer Lingus, United, BA, Delta, Etihad or Lufthansa. Perhaps you're describing short-haul, where seat pitch may be less generous?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

On long haul where I hope to sleep for several hours yes always recline. It's not my right to object to what the person in front does with their seat same as its nobody else's business what I do with mine.
    The few times the person behind has continued to object, push the seat, poke me or whatever I let cabin crew deal with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 BaronVonBacon

leggit wrote: »
    And you never put your seat back because you'd be too afraid of what the big bad man behind you would do.

You just sit there quietly getting yourself all worried and visualising the comfort of putting your seat back if you were man enough to do it, despite it being moronic. Then, on arriving at your destination, you'd go tell all your friends that you put your seat back and you didn't care that the guy behind you was annoyed because you're a mad bastard and nothing gets in your way!

Now you've been talking absolute sh*te to strangers on an internet forum in an attempt to look smart and put other people down.

Sad.

Er, no. Just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

If you pay for a seat you are entitled to put it back if you want because it's your seat. except during take off and landing. Your only option is to put your seat back in return

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I like to gently kick the reclined seat in front of me for the duration of the flight if some ignorant asshole reclines their seat, in a Chinese torture/meditation sort of way. I also like to gently pull at strands of there hair (if applicable) whilst using turning the page of my paper as an excuse. I also like to move closer to people on buses that insist on taking up more than one seat and forcing me to sit on half a seat until they get the hint.

I love mass transport sometimes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I like to ...
    ...reads: I like to dream about ...

• Advertisement

I like to gently kick the reclined seat in front of me for the duration of the flight if some ignorant asshole reclines their seat, in a Chinese torture/meditation sort of way. I also like to gently pull at strands of there hair (if applicable) whilst using turning the page of my paper as an excuse. I also like to move closer to people on buses that insist on taking up more than one seat and forcing me to sit on half a seat until they get the hint.

I love mass transport sometimes :D

shouldn't that be "their hair" :D

Advertisement