Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you put your seat back on flights?

Options
  • 03-09-2012 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭

For those of us prols unfortunate enough to have to steerage, it never ceases to amaze me how on a long-haul flight a selfish numpty infront of you will insist on putting their seat back without any consideration for their fellow passenger behind. I simply wouldn't do this because it is rude while others seems to have no hesitation in doing so. Do you this or not???? :confused:

Do you recline your seat on flights? 119 votes

Yes because I am a selfish numpty with no consideration for humankind
    0% 0 votes
    No because it's rude and inconsiderate
    100% 119 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Yes, it makes it a lot easier to sleep on flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

No, and I pity the fool that does it sitting in front of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Didn't vote, because the poll is stupidly biased, making it completely pointless ...

Anyways, no I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

I dont do it and want to murder people that do on shorthaul flights like rynair ones where there is 0 legroom and it crushes my kneecaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I usually let it back about half-way so as not to hinder the person behind me too much. Most of my flying is done with Ryanair so its not usually a problem anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

No, because it's rude and inconsiderate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

No, only w*nkers do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They don't really go back so what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I only put it back slightly if I want to sleep, and even then I feel really, really guilty about it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Really? I do this every time! I'm tall so otherwise I get a pain in my back. Why can't everyone just do it and then no one loses out.

Ahhh, slightly more diagonal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Doop

I dont, but being quite tall Im not afraid to let the person in front know they have reduced my tiny amount of space by constantly banging my knees into the back of their seat. Call me petty but thats the way i role!

I dont however mind if they nudge it back a tiny bit and often people will turn and ask if its ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I fly long-haul frequently and tend to sleep (or doze) more easily when I recline the seat about half-way. Fully reclining the seat is a very common occurrence.

To be honest, I find those seated beside me who don't take cognisance of your personal space far more irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Doop

Yamanoto wrote: »
    To be honest, I find those seated beside me who don't take cognisance of your personal space far more irritating.

What about taking cognisance of the personal space of those behind you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

PLANE ****!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I dont do it and want to murder people that do on shorthaul flights like rynair ones where there is 0 legroom and it crushes my kneecaps.

Ryanair seats don't go back

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭cena

No and I hate when people do that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭TheChizler

To be honest it wouldn't bother me at all if the person in front put their seat back. It only affects you if you're particularly tall and catches your knees or you've laptop open on your tray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

ScumLord wrote: »
    They don't really go back so what's the point?

You have to lift the handle first. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Aer Arran are the boys for leg room, all those prop plains have loads of room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Doop wrote: »
    What about taking cognisance of the personal space of those behind you?

In an ideal world, sure. In practise, most people recline their seats to some degree on long-haul jaunts.

Aer Lingus are one of the few operators who specifically request folks to place their seats upright during mealtimes. There was a discussion on the website Flyertalk about canny contraptions one can improvise to prevent those in front reclining, but that's a little excessive methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I only fly Ryanair, so no option to. Doesn't matter, I'm fairly short so have plenty of room while the taller suckers cramp up. Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

no, because i have consideration for the person behind me and anyone who has tried to do it to me in the past have not succeeded in doing so..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I do but in business and first it doesn't bother anyone. And if it did they could feck right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mena wrote: »
    I do but in business and first it doesn't bother anyone. And if it did they could feck right off.

Any chance of a loan of a score? I'm good for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

I am quite tall and have little space as it is so I push my knee into the back of the seat in front of me to stop it from going back.
    If the person starts forcing I will tell them that they are crushing my leg.
    It has always worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tarkus

Save the whining & put the effort in:

Keep them from reclining into your lap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Dr.Zeus

Depends if you turn left or right when you get on..,,,,

Turn left and, yes, nobody cares unless they're a 7' basketball player.

Turn right and it's OK provided you ask the person behind you first. I would always do that. But then, I'm fierce polite :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I take lots of short haul flights and a surprising amount of people find their seat, sit down, buckle up and recline their seats immediately. Of course, you're not allowed to have it like that for take off but it does tend to be a certain kind of rude, inconsiderate, infrequent flyer that reclines their seat on a short haul flight.

I'm pretty short so if the person in front me reclines their seat then it's right in my face, and my tray is no longer useable. I'm not behind the door in saying something about it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I've never taken a long-haul flight, but I'd feel bad for bothering the poor bugger behind me!

I have to take cross-country buses every week or so, and this bothers me no end. Sometimes if I'm particularly tired and narky, and I notice the person in front of me going to recline, I push my knees into the back of the seat to stop them.

They usually switch to the outside seat and recline back in that one.

Then I can stare at them while they sleep...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Front row ftw but id never do it.
    I only travel business longhaul so its not a problem there.

Advertisement