Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you put your seat back on flights?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Comment on the article "There use to be time when the cabin crew would ask that people did not recline the seats during the meal time. Seems to be a thing of the distant past now. The only thing that concerns people today is me, me and me."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Motorist wrote: »

Comment on the article "There use to be time when the cabin crew would ask that people did not recline the seats during the meal time. Seems to be a thing of the distant past now. The only thing that concerns people today is me, me and me."
    They still do on any flight I've been served a meal on.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

I've been following this thread on and off for a few days now. It's lead me to the conclusion that every single person in the country above 6ft must be on here. I know there are always a few very tall people who'll genuinely be lacking any legroom, but the amount of people here claiming to be squashed is ridiculous. I used to fly a few times a year, usually medium/long haul. More often than not I put my seat back, for that little bit of extra comfort. And I've never had anyone pushing on my seat, kicking my seat, forcing their knees into my back, pulling at my hair, taking their shoes off any pushing their feet into the back of my arm, or any of the other various anti-reclining methods mentioned in the thread so far.

Either everyone here is exaggerating about the discomfort, or, more likely, there is a severe case of keyboard warriorism doing the rounds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Einhard wrote: »
    I really don't see the problem. It's very uncomfortable to sit in a bolt upright position for 5-8 hours on a long haul flight. All the seats are made to recline, and if everyone does it, then nobody should lose out on any room. Instead of demanding everyone sit upright and be uncomfortable, why doesn't everyone simply recline, have the same amount of room, and be comfortable? :confused:

I totally agree. Which is why I think the following reply is ridiculously harsh:
    beks101 wrote: »
    This is precisely how I expected a chronic flight seat-backer to respond.

I bet you also hog the armrest because you're 'entitled' to do it and probably also put your bag on the seat beside you on buses/trains to prevent anyone from sitting beside you.

Petty crimes perhaps, but a fucking blight on the world of public transport that makes travel infuriatingly unconfortable for other passengers who actually have consideration for the people around them.

Reclining in your seat is not in the same league as hogging the armrest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

It was getting the go bus between Dublin and Galway today. I awoke to find a woman with her seat back in front of me. This would be grand but the seat when ridiculously far back so I had very little room. The seat was literally squashing my legs. I'm not even very tall!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 averageperson

would it not have been easier for you to move into one of the empty seats beside you and let the person recline his seat. or did you just want to be stubborn, therefore ruining the flight for you and for him. ?
    I could have done that...but it was a window seat. Which I like. And once I had secured my personal space against frontal invasion, and instigated a retaliation campaign (exposed feet + air-con mistral) it was one of the most enjoyable flights of my life. Happy memories indeed!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I put my seat back on long haul. An hr or two flight, no. But ill always pull it forward at meal times etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ChewChew wrote: »
    I put my seat back on long haul. An hr or two flight, no. But ill always pull it forward at meal times etc.

^this^ and any airline I've experienced recently will ask everyone to keep or move the seat forward while meals are being served anyway.

on tight planes like ryanair it can be an issue but on most you have enough space and even pushing the seat fully back won't impact the person behind you - if it caused that much hassle they wouldn't make them movable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Long haul on a normal fare carrier then yes because even in economy there is plenty of room and EVERYBODY puts the chair back anyway. When eating you're made sit the chair up. I'm 6ft and never had a problem so you'd want to be some long piece of string to be annoyed by someone on longhaul putting the chair back.

Short haul no particularly if it's on a budget plane but iirc chairs on Ryanair and the like recline about a cm so it's pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I could have done that...but it was a window seat. Which I like. And once I had secured my personal space against frontal invasion, and instigated a retaliation campaign (exposed feet + air-con mistral) it was one of the most enjoyable flights of my life. Happy memories indeed!

You sound like a right knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 averageperson

Auldloon wrote: »
    You sound like a right knob.

I won't get in to the personal abuse thing, you win the online name-calling contest. Well done. Good luck with everything now, mind how you go...

Advertisement