Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you put your seat back on flights?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Yes, I do. Because everyone is entitled to do it, and besides it only goes back about 2 inches at most. It doesnt compromise the legroom of the passenger behind you and it doesnt move the tray at all on the back of your seat (despite what every eejit thinks)

If you have a problem with people doing this then you need to calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Also check into the seats behind emergency exits (if those are already booked out) as they don't recline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

it only goes back about 2 inches at most. It doesnt compromise the legroom of the passenger behind you and it doesnt move the tray at all on the back of your seat

None of the above is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

I´m a little claustrophobic so I HATE when people do this. Was stuck on a really cramped flight from Malaysia to London. It was uncomfortably tight already. The knob in front leaned his seat all the way back and the air hostess parked the trolley in the aisle beside our row of seats for several minutes. It took all my strength not to completely freak out, but I did end up crying with panic. I wouldn´t do that to somebody else.

Skid wrote: »

Then you clearly dont fly often :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

No because planes are uncomfortable enough without having someone infront of you squashing you even more.

If you do it to me, you'll change it back fairly quickly unless you like your chair being shook constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Yes because I am not a giant freak so I don't get massively pissed off about lack of legroom in planes...

Although I do sorta feel a wee bit guilty when I put my seat back and I also can never sleep on a plane. Just too uncomfortable... Gotta wait until I can afford first class...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Skid wrote: »

I do and it's still not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

I dont, and when someone in front of me does I keep hitting my knees off the back of their chair until they get the point. Sometimes if they take a long time to put their seat back in position i will put my hand on their headrest and 'accidentally' brush it off their hair, until they think there is some sort of weirdo sitting behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

They are made to recline. What's the problem. I always recline on long haul. Doesn't make that much difference unless your eating. I put it up to eat and recline when food is finished. Everyone should just recline and stop whinging

• Advertisement

Cool_CM wrote: »
    I do and it's still not true.

Nope, when reclining the tray stays completely level and doesnt move back with the seat unless its in the upright position obviously. Next time take note of the type of hinges it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I don't do it, not because its rude but because it moves like a INCH back and makes no difference whatsoever!!

And the seats are made to move back, I wouldn't call it rude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

I do it. I paid for the seat so it's my choice if I choose to. If the person behind isn't happy, they can move their seat back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Nerdy freq-flyer website Flyertalk discussing recline etiquette:
    If you had any say over the recline of MY seat, they would have put the button on YOUR armrest
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1370385-seat-recline-etiquette.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I certainly do, but to answer each of your points in turn
    it only goes back about 2 inches at most.

Anything up to nine inches according to this chart , and you have precious little space to start off with even before the passenger in front invades your space.
    It doesnt compromise the legroom of the passenger behind you
    Yes it does. You start off at barely comfortable. Then when the seat in front is moved, you can't extend your knees to allow your legs to engage a natural sitting position. That is a massive change.
    it doesnt move the tray at all on the back of your seat
    The tray is attached to the seat you have just moved. That's why the tray has moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Bonavox wrote: »
    I do it. I paid for the seat so it's my choice if I choose to. If the person behind isn't happy, they can move their seat back.

Pure ignorance. Just the type of person's seat id enjoy kicking for the entire flight and never get tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

bohsboy wrote: »
    Bonavox wrote: »

Pure ignorance. Just the type of person's seat id enjoy kicking for the entire flight and never get tired.

If the seats weren't to go back they wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

bohsboy wrote: »

So, meet ignorance with ignorance?

Yamanoto wrote: »
    So, meet ignorance with ignorance?

...and never get tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Can't believe the amount of childish idiots who kick and poke at reclined seats. They are made to ****ing recline. Your seat does the exact same so quit whingeing. Should have a few rows at the back without reclining seats for the idiots that whinge. Hard plastic seats at that.

• Advertisement

Slunk wrote: »
    Can't believe the amount of childish idiots who kick and poke at reclined seats. They are made to ****ing recline. Your seat does the exact same so quit whingeing. Should have a few rows at the back without reclining seats for the idiots that whinge. Hard plastic seats at that.

Sigh...obvious case of small man syndrome. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

If you want to recline your seat on a flight, there's no law against it. However, you should be considerate to your fellow travellers and always ask the person behind you if they mind. They're probably going to say "No problem, go ahead" out of politeness, but at least you had the common decency to ask.

If you're flying cattle economy class, you're got very little room in the first place and if there's a really tall fella (or lady) behind you, just don't recline as you're going to make it needlessly uncomfortable for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 averageperson

It is ok to move it back a little, and maybe first a polite "Do you mind if I...?" to show some consideration...but to move it back all the way, as a french chappy did on the flight I took a few weeks back, makes it incredibly uncomfortable for the passenger behind. Luckily, the hostess made him put it back up during take-off and I made sure my knees were pressed against the seat from then on, so he was unable to recline. The seats beside me were vacant, so I turned the air-con up full on all three nozzles and pointed them all towards him. That is quite a "mistral" of cold, recycled farts that he had to endure for two hours. I also took off my shoes and plonked my sweaty feet right up the side of his seat towards his face. I only wish I'd had some chewing gum to leave in his silly little hipster hair-do, but I think he got the point.
    So there are my tips, folks - push back with the knees, point the air-con at full blast and unleash the feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Eriopis

Mickey H wrote: »
    If you want to recline your seat on a flight, there's no law against it. However, you should be considerate to your fellow travellers and always ask the person behind you if they mind. They're probably going to say "No problem, go ahead" out of politeness, but at least you had the common decency to ask.

If you're flying cattle economy class, you're got very little room in the first place and if there's a really tall fella (or lady) behind you, just don't recline as you're going to make it needlessly uncomfortable for them.

Agree fully - I'm a very tall woman, the number of times I've been near knee-capped on flights by the selfishly reclining is ridiculous. I would understand better if they were long haul flights and yer man needed his kip, but when it's just a couple of hours to Berlin, what's the point, beyond leaving me limping all afternoon with the Sky Cafe menu permanently embossed on my knees?

It is ok to move it back a little, and maybe first a polite "Do you mind if I...?" to show some consideration...but to move it back all the way, as a french chappy did on the flight I took a few weeks back, makes it incredibly uncomfortable for the passenger behind. Luckily, the hostess made him put it back up during take-off and I made sure my knees were pressed against the seat from then on, so he was unable to recline. The seats beside me were vacant, so I turned the air-con up full on all three nozzles and pointed them all towards him. That is quite a "mistral" of cold, recycled farts that he had to endure for two hours. I also took off my shoes and plonked my sweaty feet right up the side of his seat towards his face. I only wish I'd had some chewing gum to leave in his silly little hipster hair-do, but I think he got the point.
    So there are my tips, folks - push back with the knees, point the air-con at full blast and unleash the feet.

Nice first post! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Krooger

I find EVERYONE on delta flight to ny/atlanta and back does this, I just follow a simple rule: if the person in front of me reclines , I do too , if not , I don't.

A simple and fair system that results in me always having the exact same amount of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I'm glad to read all the people saying they don't decline.

I'm over six foot and it's extremely uncomfortable to fly. I've been on planes where the seat reclines and the back of it is inches from your face. It's terrible. It's also squashes your knees and moves the tray.

Planes all tend to be different, but I've been on ones where I can barely fit out of the seat with the one in front of me reclined.

Thankfully I normally get emergency exit seat which eases the discomfort somewhat.

I feel sorry for people who are even taller than me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

It's inconsiderate and only a dlck would recline a seat into the person behind. I only do it if the seat behind is vacant.

Worse than recline though is when you get stuck beside a morbidly obese person.
    I had to sit beside this woman on an 8 hour flight. I literally had a layer of arm fat encroach my personal space and was covering my right leg. I had to sit with my two arms out over the left arm rest. People like this should be forced to buy two seats.

http://thisorthat.com/blog-images/fat-dude-on-plane.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Dont fly Ryanair, so yes.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

as i'm 6' 3'' it is not usually possible for folk in front of me to recline! they soon find that out if they try!

Advertisement